• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's PS6 basically confirmed to be at minimum $700 if not more?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Chris Farley Idk GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$700 minimum.

Dont get me wrong, there's been times new consoles come out at a cheaper launch price then previous gens (DC vs Saturn, PS4 vs PS3, surely some others), but the overall trend is the absolute price edges up over time.

Hey you never know, maybe there's a chip price crash and by the time PS6 comes out, it'll be a super high end system at $500-600. Doubt it.

In Sony’s mind the hardcore were having to spend $1000 to get the new Xbox and PlayStation. Now you’re just gonna need to spend $700 on one console, you’re still coming out on top!

Last edited:

Zuzu

I think that'll be too expensive for the mass market and a lot of people will just choose to stay on their PS5s for longer if that were the case. That would lead to cross-gen going on longer than it ever has before. I could see it being $599 without a disc drive though. And if it's $599 it might psychologically appear to be a decent deal because it'll be cheaper than the PS5 Pro and more powerful.

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably needs to be a bit more, tempt those away from considering low end pcs into a superior gaming ecosystem

jorgejjvr

I think that'll be too expensive for the mass market and a lot of people will just choose to stay on their PS5s for longer if that were the case. That would lead to cross-gen going on longer than it ever has before. I could see it being $599 without a disc drive though. And if it's $599 it might psychologically appear to be a decent deal because it'll be cheaper than the PS5 Pro and more powerful.
Highly doubt a new gen which will be more powerful will cost less than old gen with lesser hardware

I made this point earlier in one of the threads... that if it's really going to be 2028 it's either not going to be all that impressive or will be very expensive.

I'm kind of expecting MS's box to be $800.

I think the bigger question is... if the majority of PS5 gamers are playing PS4 GAAS games, is there a need for a PS6?

Last edited:

hinch7

At least 600 to be a generational leap. Might have to wait a while for that to be feasable.

I honestly think 700+ is too much for a purely gaming/entertainment device. At least for the mainstream.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I made this point earlier in one of the threads... that if it's really going to be 2028 it's either not going to be all that impressive or will be very expensive.

I'm kind of expecting MS's box to be $800.
Next generation could be a big shake up for MS & Sony. Microsoft stated they're prepping next gen hardware and Phil has all but confirmed a handheld is in the works. I have to imagine Sony is doing something similar. Have an expensive console box for the ultra hardcores and a handheld/hybrid at a more affordable price point for the masses.

Mownoc

PS5 Pro is a product aimed at a high-end niche.

PS6 will be a product aimed at the mainstream console consumer just like the PS5 was. It will be priced accordingly.

People are really getting worked up over a more expensive option.

PS5 Pro is a product designed to sell 8-10m.

PS6 just like PS5 will be designed to sell 100m+

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
With the death of Xbox, and Nintendo making obsolete hardware, yes.

Sony can and will promote themselves as the premier place to play AAA console games

ZoukGalaxy

If so, it will gloriously fails as the PS3 before the price cut.
People buys console for the all-in-on price deal and the use confort before anything else.

The Simpsons Animation GIF by FOX TV

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
No way arrogant Sony makes their next gen less than a mid gen refresh.

So I think it's more than just sticker shock to a mid gen refresh, it's the reality of next gen being massively expensive too.

Am I wrong in that?

The PS5 costs $500 in 2020, that's more than $600 in today's money.

0MYuH1m.jpeg

... but if you add three more years of inflation to this price (since the PS6 will probably release in 2027) the price could go up to $650. And if there's another worldwide crisis like war in the Middle East, US boots on the ground in Ukraine or a war over Taiwan, all bets are off.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
how is the portal btw? I've been holding out in case they make an OLED version but at this point it doesn't seem likely
When I used it at the house it played very well on my WiFi

One of my younger nieces or nephews dropped it and it stopped working and I never replaced it so I didn't get a lot of mileage out of it and didn't love it enough to replace it so theres that :)

K' Dash

With the death of Xbox, and Nintendo making obsolete hardware, yes.

Sony can and will promote themselves as the premier place to play AAA console games

They certainly have the hardware to run AAA, built from the ground up, next gen games, unfortunately, there have been 4 in 4 years.

it actually is a better value to buy a PS4 since everything is getting released there anyway, lol. Don't quote this post crying, those are just facts...

Using PS4 games to promote the SECOND iteration of your next gen Hardware. Embarrassing.

rm082e

I would expect $599 in 2027. Yes, the PS5 Pro is a hundred bucks more, but it's a halo product, not their base offering. Components will also be cheaper by then, and Sony has usually been willing to lose a little bit of money on the console when they launch a new generation.

Keep in mind adjusted for inflation, the PS5 Pro is cheaper than the PS3 was at it's launch:

ps5-inflation-chart.jpg

Source

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Steamdecks are still available. Abandon the console eco systems as soon as you can.
Start building your digital libraries with Steam, Epic, COG.

Also stop renting and don't buy new cars. Don't eat out.
Sock away as much retirement savings as you can.
Good Luck everybody.

DonF

It depends on if people are stupid enough to buy the PS5 Pro at $700.
exactly. the PS3 was $600, sales were atrocious, they lowered the prices, sales improved and we got the ps4 at $400.

Considering inflation, if the ps5pro has poor sale numbers, they should price the ps6 accordingly. $500 I would say.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The only thing PS6 is confirmed to be is a long fucking way off. If Sony is releasing a Pro a full 4 years into this cycle, don't expect a PS6 until 2028.

Last edited:

PeteBull

No way arrogant Sony makes their next gen less than a mid gen refresh.

So I think it's more than just sticker shock to a mid gen refresh, it's the reality of next gen being massively expensive too.

Am I wrong in that?
Earliest we getting ps6 is holidays 2028, and it has to be somewhat sizeable jump in both cpu and gpu from ps5pr0, vram too, so personally i wouldnt even be surprised with 999$.
MS console that will likely launch in 2026 will be probably akin to some prebuild pc so easily 800$+, likely much more, which means with no competition 0 reason for sony to subsidize consoie price, so since its a corpo that loves money like all corpos, sony will charge hefty amount for it- simply coz they can.

I don't really see why it would. Next gen you are likely looking at two models again, the base and the pro a few years later. Assuming the prices don't really reduce (like they haven't this gen), a $700 base would probably result in a $900 pro, etc.

You risk losing a lot of customers with pricing like that.

PeteBull

I don't really see why it would. Next gen you are likely looking at two models again, the base and the pro a few years later. Assuming the prices don't really reduce (like they haven't this gen), a $700 base would probably result in a $900 pro, etc.

You risk losing a lot of customers with pricing like that.
2 models dont work, exhibit A- this gen's series s/x, it always end up badly.

Top Bottom