• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's PS6 basically confirmed to be at minimum $700 if not more?

pasterpl

Yeah, probably based on how much storage you want. Still think it was stupid for Sony not to offer a $599 1 TB PS5 Pro or a $699 1TB PS5 Pro that included the disc drive.
Don’t think that 1TB would knock off 100 usd from the Pro price. it seems that this gen Sony decided not to subsidise their consoles.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
At the end of the day, I think they really do need to have a $500-$600 option.

The pro can be priced stupidly because there’s already fairly priced current gen consoles for sale.

Topher

Gold Member
Don’t think that 1TB would knock off 100 usd from the Pro price. it seems that this gen Sony decided not to subsidise their consoles.

Well they certainly are not subsidizing PS5 Pro. Don't think they would bother otherwise. Probably right about the SSD. That's probably a good chunk of their markup.

I think this is the best time for Microsoft and Nintendo to capitalize on the failure of Sony in pricing its product.

If they are somehow able to release a console - even a slightly beefier one than their present consoles - at a price of <$599, I think its game over for Sony. I am especially waiting to see the next move by Nintendo.

At the moment, I have 10+ Nintendo Switch games. And I love all of them esp. Odyssey, Wonder, TOTK, and Bowser's Fury. Imo, we don't need games with insance graphics, but games with appealing animation like Elden Ring, TOTK, Wonder and more. Nintendo looks to have set itself up for long term success by not competing with others in terms of computing power.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I'm not sure why people ignore that inflation is a factor. None of the console manufacturers decide the prices of the individual components that go into their consoles.

Either way, I don't want the next-gen consoles to be held back by price. This generation has been a huge disappointment and I think it's mainly because they wanted to stick with 20 year old price points in the 400-500 range that are irrelevant now. I hate how the XSX shipped with just 16GB while the console has a 320-bit memory controller and it was purely just save a few bucks on each console.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think they will launch at $599 but I hope they go for $699 and take a small loss, that would make the PS6 such a beast.

4x Zen 6 + 6x Zen 6c and an 'rdna' 5 based GPU that is 2.5x the PS5 pro in raster and 5x in RT as well as a powerful AI processor.

SkylineRKR

I think this is the best time for Microsoft and Nintendo to capitalize on the failure of Sony in pricing its product.

If they are somehow able to release a console - even a slightly beefier one than their present consoles - at a price of <$599, I think its game over for Sony. I am especially waiting to see the next move by Nintendo.

At the moment, I have 10+ Nintendo Switch games. And I love all of them esp. Odyssey, Wonder, TOTK, and Bowser's Fury. Imo, we don't need games with insance graphics, but games with appealing animation like Elden Ring, TOTK, Wonder and more. Nintendo looks to have set itself up for long term success by not competing with others in terms of computing power.

No. The Xbox Series X was offered for 399 for a good while during last fall, and it barely made a dent against the PS5. Its not only about price, its not that easy.

The Playstation as a brand is simply more in demand and probably valued higher. Many gamers aren't going to give up their ecosystem and friendslist for a 200 price deficit as well.

StereoVsn

Yeah, probably based on how much storage you want. Still think it was stupid for Sony not to offer a $599 1 TB PS5 Pro or a $699 1TB PS5 Pro that included the disc drive.
If sales tank after initial release I can see them offering their in Spring of 2025.

_Ex_

Yeah, probably.

We’re gonna miss the good ol’ days of
QqcXceM.jpeg

Keep in mind that $599 in 2006* is equivalent to $935 in 2024, adjusted for inflation.

( * https://money.cnn.com/2006/05/08/technology/ps3_pricing/ )

Mobilemofo

It's all good. If I decide to purchase the PS5 PRO, I'll just wait for EE to offer it as a package for a lil lump sum a month.

Go_Ly_Dow

I would expect $700-1000USD. They need to break even and the PS6 hardware people want won't be profitable at $500-600.

To mitigate this there will a full committment to cross-gen for most of it's lifecycle with even Sony 1st party games.

Then maybe in the final few years you'll see some exclusives pushing the system and then rinse and repeat with the PS7.

That way the audience that either isn't bothered by cutting graphics or can't afford to splash their cash on an expensive PS6 can continue playing games on PS5 and PS5 Pro etc which will act as the min and mid spec machines. Sony isn't going to abandon this audience considering how huge it is.

As a baseline the PS5 will be powerful enough for 95% of studios considering the Last of Us 2, HZ FB and other very nice looking games had the PS4 as the baseline. But I'd expect a lot of bigger budgets games to run at 1080-1440p and 30fps on PS5 as the min spec machine.

Then just slap on higher resolutions, higher framerates, better textures, lighting and RT stuff on top of that base and before you know it you'll be pushing the PS6 to it's limits with the same games.

Games engines are scaleable now and the technology is iterative so it makes complete sense to me, but maybe I'll be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kabelly

We'll see about that when this thing bombs in Canada.

People are so confident already in $600USD next gen consoles but I think we're reaching a limit people are willing to spend on consoles. The ps5 being $800CAD in Canada and the lack of any interesting real first party games from Sony pushed me to buy a PC. Now I have a makeshift playstation 5 because virtually every play station 5 exclusive so far save Demons Souls is on PC.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Like most electronics, it's going to come down to component prices. Demand for chips is an all time high right now and the chip manufacturers are struggling to meet the demand.

Just wait until China makes it's move on Taiwan... The electronics world will be fuuuuucked..

Euler007

699$ in 2028 dollars assuming inflation stays around 3% and the AI craze subsides leaving some slack in foundries.

midnightAI

PS5 Pro is a product aimed at a high-end niche.

PS6 will be a product aimed at the mainstream console consumer just like the PS5 was. It will be priced accordingly.

People are really getting worked up over a more expensive option.

PS5 Pro is a product designed to sell 8-10m.

PS6 just like PS5 will be designed to sell 100m+
Obviously, but people gotta knee jerk react for some reason, outrage media is infectious I guess.

No. It will be around $500/$550 max. It has to launch at a competitive price point.

There's probably quite a large profit margin on PS5 Pro, they know that it's an enthusiast device, there's no need for a lot of marketing for the launch.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Not much came from the financial help talk at the beginning of this gen. I remember Xbox had blurbs about payment plans, financing deals and such. Nothing came of any of it that I remember.
3 Easy payments and 1 complicated payment. One of these payments is going to be hard.
Maybe Gamestop can bring back the old layaway concept.

Sony would be like a car dealer and have financing options when you sign up for a new Playstation. You go into a little room where they make a hard sell on financing and extended warrantee. Then add on options like Stands, and disk drives.

jorgejjvr

No. It will be around $500/$550 max. It has to launch at a competitive price point.

There's probably quite a large profit margin on PS5 Pro, they know that it's an enthusiast device, there's no need for a lot of marketing for the launch.
Shouldn't ps6 be more powerful than a ps5 pro? Wouldn't that be even more so or an enthusiast device then?

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Yes there will be used PS5 Pros consoles are supposed to be expensive sometimes people forget that, it’s high level gaming. We saw PS3 $599.00 but yeah, backwards compatibility, free online, the disk drive.

006lopvz3pkb1.jpg

Microsoft fans are celebrating this ps5 pro price but look at the original price of the Xbox one, $500 for a launch console couldn’t have been a worse price.

Shouldn't ps6 be more powerful than a ps5 pro? Wouldn't that be even more so or an enthusiast device then?
PS5 Pro probably has a higher profit margin than base PS5, like PS4 Pro did with PS4. Pro is not a mass market device, they don't need to set mass market prices.

Don't be surprised if PS6 specs are already set in stone.

dmaul1114

Yeah it seems they’re kind of in a tough spot on pricing. On the one had, it seems kind of ok for an optional, mid gen upgrade to cost more than the base model—though a $200 jump is a lot. On the other, it makes it tricky to keep the cost of the successor down as it would look odd for that to cost less than the prior mid gen upgrade.

End of the day I suppose it probably doesn’t matter a ton beyond risking pricing out some lower income PlayStation fans as prices rise. But if PS6 is $700 day one I don’t think that means many will jump to PC gaming with PCs costing that much or more, or to Nintendo which will be cheaper but offers a different type of games, lesser graphics etc. So they’re really just rolling the dice on staying as (or ideally more) profitable even if they lose some customers who just can’t afford their consoles (at least at or near launch before any deals).

For me, I’m probably done with consoles after this gen. As prices have gone up, MS having all their games on PC and Sony porting many of theirs within a couple of years of launch I’d rather just go PC and have everything on one platform. I’m not that into Nintendo stuff these days, so I’m probably fine just skipping the Switch successor and maybe get a Steam Deck or similar if I get a portable gaming itch again. (

I also don’t mind using multiple launchers and have 100s of free games claimed across Epic, GOG, and Amazon that I’d like to access better than my dated gaming PC with a GTX 970). I still do combo couch (well reclining love seat gaming) since my PC is already hooked up to my TV I game on in my man cave—just need to replace the PC and replace the HDMI cable with a 2.1 capable one.

But from what I’ve seen on other console forums, I think I’m an exception there and most console gamers are pretty locked into their platform of choice and don’t seem that interested in jumping over to PC gaming for various reasons. So I imagine most PlayStation fans will just buy the PS6 even if it is $700 or whatever. Shelling that out every 7-8 years or watchever the generation lengths are going forward is more palatable than dropping the same on a mid-gen refresh 4 years after dropping $500 on a PS5 at launch.

Shodai

Depemds what games they launch with. They can probably get away with $699 if say, Bloodborne 2 or Remake is a launch title.

Onironauta

PS5 Pro is 800 euros in EU, that's really too much for a base product

I feel like PS6 will be 600-700 euros, maybe $600 in the US

$850 bundle easily, Probably around $800 for the console with 1 controller. Unless they drop the price of both PS5 versions and use $700-$750 as their new pricing standard for PS6.

jorgejjvr

Yeah it seems they’re kind of in a tough spot on pricing. On the one had, it seems kind of ok for an optional, mid gen upgrade to cost more than the base model—though a $200 jump is a lot. On the other, it makes it tricky to keep the cost of the successor down as it would look odd for that to cost less than the prior mid gen upgrade.

End of the day I suppose it probably doesn’t matter a ton beyond risking pricing out some lower income PlayStation fans as prices rise. But if PS6 is $700 day one I don’t think that means many will jump to PC gaming with PCs costing that much or more, or to Nintendo which will be cheaper but offers a different type of games, lesser graphics etc. So they’re really just rolling the dice on staying as (or ideally more) profitable even if they lose some customers who just can’t afford their consoles (at least at or near launch before any deals).

For me, I’m probably done with consoles after this gen. As prices have gone up, MS having all their games on PC and Sony porting many of theirs within a couple of years of launch I’d rather just go PC and have everything on one platform. I’m not that into Nintendo stuff these days, so I’m probably fine just skipping the Switch successor and maybe get a Steam Deck or similar if I get a portable gaming itch again. (

I also don’t mind using multiple launchers and have 100s of free games claimed across Epic, GOG, and Amazon that I’d like to access better than my dated gaming PC with a GTX 970). I still do combo couch (well reclining love seat gaming) since my PC is already hooked up to my TV I game on in my man cave—just need to replace the PC and replace the HDMI cable with a 2.1 capable one.

But from what I’ve seen on other console forums, I think I’m an exception there and most console gamers are pretty locked into their platform of choice and don’t seem that interested in jumping over to PC gaming for various reasons. So I imagine most PlayStation fans will just buy the PS6 even if it is $700 or whatever. Shelling that out every 7-8 years or watchever the generation lengths are going forward is more palatable than dropping the same on a mid-gen refresh 4 years after dropping $500 on a PS5 at launch.
Ps5 digital is $400, this is also a digital console. So it's more of a $300 jump

OuterLimits

A $700 console will sell to hardcore fans, but Sony wants the more casual crowd buying it also. So I seriously doubt the floor is $700. If they price it too high, the cross gen period will be as obnoxiously long as this one was.

BlackTron

It’s funny how many are now OK with 2 different powered sku’s approach /s

Strong base system => stronger system years layer = OK

Strong base system => badly planned weak system day 1 with parity = not OK

In today's session of "spot the difference", we squint carefully and try to find it.

Edit: To be clear, even if Sony launches PS6 two SKUs day one (which I doubt), their main "target system" will be PS6, and Pro games will only look better than that. You won't have a situation where games target PS6 Pro and then PS6 "holds it back". Your own post said you predict pricing of $500/1000. So you seriously think everyone will get the $1000 one, that's the base console, and it'll be held back by PS Series S (PS6)?

Last edited:

Filben

Inflation and people's willingness to buy from scalpers for ridiculous prices will push the price for sure. No way the PS6 is going to be 550EUR. It'll be at least 600EUR if not more.

Zathalus

Unless something changes with future electronics cost then almost certainly. Sony no longer has to subsidise hardware, the home console market is no longer growing rapidly, and they have a certain lack of competition these days.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Wish I had the funds to be a scalper when this hits. So much money to be made.

Audiophile

I think an intermediate price of $599 for a base unit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the $699 with no disc drive announcement paired with a poor reveal knocked the potential Pro audience down from 12-15m to 8-10m. Trying to launch a new generation, base unit at that price just isn't gonna fly imo. Most folks will just stay on PS5 for a prolonged period. I also guarantee the PS5 Pro has been marked up $100 more than it needed to be, the short-term money men are in charge and want fast cost recoups; and they're leveraging the "premium" unit to do it.

At $699 for a base unit they might as well say goodbye to most of the child audience too.

I expect the disc drive will just be a readily available add-on going forward and all PS6 SKUs will come discless. Even as a physical media guy I support this, I want every penny spent on the main hardware being as good as it can be.

What might be a smart move is a PS6 Lite @ $399. If they're using chiplets they can drop 1 out of 2-3 GPU GCDs off the die (+maybe a mem cache/bus die?), reduce storage from 1TB to 2TB, reduce memory to 75%, simplify the board (VRM, caps etc.), simplify the heatsink and the PSU. It wouldn't be overkill like the XSS but a simple resolution scale for most titles with these numbers; and relatively straightforward on the dev side.

2028:
$399 PS6 Lite 1TB
$599 PS6 2TB
$99 Universal Disc Drive

2032:
$299 PS6 Lite "Slim" 1TB
$499 PS6 "Slim" 2TB
$699 PS6 Pro 4TB
$99 Universal Disc Drive

2034:
$599 PS6 "Slim" 40th Anniversary 4TB
$799 PS6 Pro 40th Anniversary 8TB

Last edited:

LMJ

I mean I think people are jumping the gun, I guarantee you Sony is paying attention to the reaction "negative FYI" to the PS5 Pro announcement and particularly pricing

Sony doesn't want another PS3 situation where the competition could eat their lunch, I would imagine $600 plus in the like 3-4 years before its announced
Obviously barring competition and economic situation

Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors that will go into the PS6 price--chiefly what it actually costs Sony to manufacture come 2027 or 2028 which is presumably when the PS6 will release.

We also need to bear in mind that the PS5 Pro is a niche product. PS6 will be a mainline, tentpole product. It's going to be priced to move. If necessary, Sony will subsidize it to an extent--though we won't see the kind of disastrous subsidy levels that the PS3 incurred, that's for sure.

People still need to calm down over the price of the PS5 Pro. It's not a mainstream product. We know this from experience. The PS4 Pro was much more affordable, and still made up very little of the PS4's install base, only about 10%. Most PS4 gamers did not upgrade to the Pro, and gamers new to PS4 largely opted for the cheaper base model over the Pro.

The install base for the PS5 Pro will in all likelihood be significantly lower than 10% and largely limited to professional gamers, content creators, and videophiles. You can call Sony greedy or arrogant all you like, but don't think they're stupid. They've created a very high end PS5 option for a small, niche portion of their market. Knowing its sales will be small, they won't be flooding the market with tens of millions of PS5 Pros, and they absolutely are not subsidizing it because mid-gen refreshes do not drive up software and subscription sales like a new generation does. The hardware is profitable at the initial point of sale.

We've no real idea what a PS6 will theoretically cost. In 3 to 4 years, $700 in today's money could be much closer to $1000 if the economy continues on its current trajectory. As it is today, the $599.99 price point of the PS3 at launch in 2006 is $936.88 in today's money. That puts the PS5 Pro very notably cheaper than the PS3 was eighteen years ago.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It’ll be silly to imagine the PS6 being cheaper than PS5 Pro considering PS6 will be more powerful, not to mention inflation. Might want to start saving up now if you want to buy a PS6 and is shock at the PS5 Pro price

It would be the opportune time to go all out and really bring some power, being the only traditional console on the market. With no competition why not try for a high end machine? $800 for the final end-of-existence traditional gaming console to knock our socks off. Make it happen, Sony!

jorgejjvr

Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors that will go into the PS6 price--chiefly what it actually costs Sony to manufacture come 2027 or 2028 which is presumably when the PS6 will release.

We also need to bear in mind that the PS5 Pro is a niche product. PS6 will be a mainline, tentpole product. It's going to be priced to move. If necessary, Sony will subsidize it to an extent--though we won't see the kind of disastrous subsidy levels that the PS3 incurred, that's for sure.

People still need to calm down over the price of the PS5 Pro. It's not a mainstream product. We know this from experience. The PS4 Pro was much more affordable, and still made up very little of the PS4's install base, only about 10%. Most PS4 gamers did not upgrade to the Pro, and gamers new to PS4 largely opted for the cheaper base model over the Pro.

The install base for the PS5 Pro will in all likelihood be significantly lower than 10% and largely limited to professional gamers, content creators, and videophiles. You can call Sony greedy or arrogant all you like, but don't think they're stupid. They've created a very high end PS5 option for a small, niche portion of their market. Knowing its sales will be small, they won't be flooding the market with tens of millions of PS5 Pros, and they absolutely are not subsidizing it because mid-gen refreshes do not drive up software and subscription sales like a new generation does. The hardware is profitable at the initial point of sale.

We've no real idea what a PS6 will theoretically cost. In 3 to 4 years, $700 in today's money could be much closer to $1000 if the economy continues on its current trajectory. As it is today, the $599.99 price point of the PS3 at launch in 2006 is $936.88 in today's money. That puts the PS5 Pro very notably cheaper than the PS3 was eighteen years ago.
So much coping

Top Bottom