• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki “we don’t have that much IP that we fostered from the beginning”

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Developers of Sly Cooper and Jak & Daxter don't even want to work on them anymore, it's beneath them.

Who can blame them Ghost of Tsushima was a massive hit and the movie could make it even bigger.

Naughty Dog has had significantly greater success with Uncharted and The Last of Us.

I made a post of what Sony can do with old IP, particularly ones that have GaaS potential, but at the end of the day it comes down to ROI and interest from the studios and Sony as a publisher.

Fess

It’s not better anywhere else. Most studios only have 1 or 2 IPs they keep iterating on. And unless they have several teams that means 1 or max 2 games per generation now. Insomniac is the outlier, pumping out games fast, 14 (!!) games in 10 years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horizon is the best and only IP they need.

The Last of the Horizons
Uncharted Horizon
Twisted Horizon
Ratchet & Aloy
Ghost of the Horizon
Infamous Horizon
Jak and Aloy
Horizon-Zone
Aloy Escape
Shadow of the Horizon
Little Big Horizon
Motorhorizon
Gravity Horizon
Horizon Gone
Bloodhorizon
Demon's Horizon
Don’t forget MLB The Show, featuring Aloy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Horizon is the best and only IP they need.

The Last of the Horizons
Uncharted Horizon
Twisted Horizon
Ratchet & Aloy
Ghost of the Horizon
Infamous Horizon
Jak and Aloy
Horizon-Zone
Aloy Escape
Shadow of the Horizon
Little Big Horizon
Motorhorizon
Gravity Horizon
Horizon Gone
Bloodhorizon
Demon's Horizon

They had us in the first half, not gonna lie.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Early stage IP. He says they don’t have anything new (I think Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. is considered too old).

That's not what he meant.

What he means is that they need to get involved earlier in the creative process across the board rather than say licensing a book like Angel's and Demons or licensing an IP from Marvel for Spider-Man. They don't even have full control over Spider-Man which is their biggest film IP.

They need to own the IP end to end or at least be involved in the production of the IP.

Again, people think this is all about video games when it isn't.

He's talking movies (tv), anime, and gaming.

Gamers are silly children.

SHA

Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

3 of those are already movies/tv shows.

I dont think this guy knows wtf hes talking about.
Cause they want Palworld numbers, typical lazy genzers excuse for doing the lazy job and ignoring all merit cause they don't care, they got average talent and think business.

A.Romero

I understood that they don't have new IP that they are developing, instead they are milking the same ones (or how he puts it: expanding the audience of current IP's)

DAHGAMING

Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

Add Sly, The Getaway, Socom, Motorstorm to that list. These pricks in charge are full of shit. They should stop drinking that soy piss and get back to making the good stuff.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
From the article, they're primarily talking about movie/TV/Anime - with a focus on anime. Totoki's quote
Following the investment splurge, Sony’s top executives argue that the group needs to be more directly involved in creating content at an earlier stage to get higher returns.
“Whether it’s for games, films or anime, we don’t have that much IP that we fostered from the beginning,” said chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki, who is widely seen as Yoshida’s successor, in a separate interview.
“We’re lacking the early phase (of IP) and that’s an issue for us,” he added, noting that Sony has historically been better at finding a global audience for content that have already become popular in their home market.

The funniest part, though
Totoki said Sony also wanted to use its knowhow from its PlayStation Network service including payments, security and data analysis to improve engagement with Crunchyroll subscribers, and expand business opportunity through joint promotions.

Vlodril

They have a fuckton of ip's they are not even using let alone the ones that had an entry in the last decade.

He must be on some of that goofy dust.

SIE have a ton of IP they've cultivated from the beginning. Parappa, Gran Turismo (did he forget that exists?), God of War, WipeOut, SOCOM etc.

The problem is that for a majority of the IP, they haven't done enough retention of them with new iterations/installments, leaving many to fall to the wayside and become dormant. Worst part being, SIE have a ton of legacy IP that would fit just fine in the market with maybe a few changes while still retaining their core identity. Some of those could even be leveraged for transmedia operations.

But needless to say, they haven't done a great job at this. Most gaming companies are guilty of this, actually, even Nintendo to an extent. Though Nintendo have arguably also been the best at long-term IP retention within the industry; creative strokes of genius like using Smash Bros. as a catch-all for otherwise niche IP to retain some relevance and gain a higher profile over time have helped with this.

SIE could've been doing many of the same strategies but they've let so many of their legacy IP go dormant, so it'd be much harder.

Pop

Sly
Ape Escape
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Returnal
Gravity Rush
Days Gone

Sony just abandoned half of their IPs and as soon as one game isn't too successful, they shelve it.
Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

The Legend of Dragoon

SIREN

The dude is on something

Astray

Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

He's a bean counter and has basically zero idea about what works and what doesn't in gaming.

sainraja

Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

...they have even more than that. So yeah, he has to clarify exactly what he means when he says don't have enough IP.

gerth666

Sly
Ape Escape
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Returnal
Gravity Rush
Days Gone

Sony just abandoned half of their IPs and as soon as one game isn't too successful, they shelve it.
Sly
Ape Escape
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Returnal
Gravity Rush
Days Gone

I've seen nobody mention socom, the original squad based co op shooter.
I also personally thought heavenly sword had lots of potential, and they gave it up too soon

Alundra
Wild Arms
Legend Of Dragoon
Patapon
Loco Roco
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls
Puppeteer
Days Gone
Gravity Rush
Resistance
Killzone
Parappa
Motorstorm
MediEvil

And those are just from the top of my head, and most of them havent been used in a while, and from those ip from the ps1 era i would love to see even modest AA remakes.

But yeah, he is right, they don't have that much ip. At least we got Concord and Fairgame$ :messenger_unamused:.
You could add Jak & Daxter or Killzone SF Multiplayer (the best MP game Sony has ever done IMO) there. The problem is that they have been mismanaging their IPs and the whole Playstation Brand into chasing fads.
Sly
Ape Escape
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
Motorstorm
Returnal
Gravity Rush
Days Gone

Most of those IPs were actually successful either critically or commercially. For instance Days Gone has being objectively a commercial hit for Sony and they killed it because, well, the woke reviewers didn't like it.

Last edited:

TexMex

Gold Member
Whether you like Sony or their IP, this is just objectively false and shows a concerning amount of ignorance of the brand from the person at the helm.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
A lot of the mentioned IP’s don’t have a lot of movie / TV show potential. Although could have said the same thing about Twisted Metal lol

Aenima

He just saying that that Sony as a whole uses too much existing IPs, like Spider Man and other already popular IPs to reach more consumers. But hes talking more about what happens outside playstation. Cuz in playstation case just Insomiac is using others IPs (Spider-Man and Wolverine).
He wants to reach big audiences with Sony created IPs to increase the profits as these already created IPs by others, eat a good chunk of Sony profits. This has very little to do with Playstation and its something they already started doing this gen by using Uncharted, TLOU, Grand Turismo, etc as movies and TV shows.

Last edited:
Microsoft has Minecraft. That's an IP that transcends gaming just like Pokémon or Mario for Nintendo. Sony's games might well trounce whatever has happened to Halo now but they don't have a mega franchise.
While that is true to a degree. Microsoft did not create Minecraft like Nintendo has done with Mario etc. They bought it after it became successful. Microsoft could buy Pokemon but I wouldn't then say that Microsoft had fostered Pokemon from the beginning, which is the point of the article. Sony has more franchises that they have had since day 1.

Hookshot

Gold Member
While that is true to a degree. Microsoft did not create Minecraft like Nintendo has done with Mario etc. They bought it after it became successful. Microsoft could buy Pokemon but I wouldn't then say that Microsoft had fostered Pokemon from the beginning, which is the point of the article. Sony has more franchises that they have had since day 1.
I totally agree that Microsoft spotted an existing gem and polished it. You could say that Sony have almost done the same with Spiderman but I don't know how much of the money they make on the films or games goes elsewhere, the same with Gran Turismo. It's a PlayStation great but it's full of other peoples cars.

HogIsland

He's talking about Sony pictures, this is about Sony at large...not SIE...instead of relying on IPs like spider-man..they need to create new one's...not video game IP for the most part.
Yeah it's funny how many people jumped to a Nintendo vs PlayStation thing, when he's only tangentially talking about PlayStation.

Bashtee

I had so much fun with LBP3... I'm really sad that they didn't do more with the IP. LBP4 with a level editor and on PC. I would really love that. Or a LBP remake on both plattforms day 1.

kevm3

He probably means RELEVANT, non-niche IP. While they probably have the rights to stuff like Gravity Rush, Alundra, Patapon, Loco-Roco or Tomba, dropping hundreds of millions of dollars to bring those ips back probably wouldn't be a wise financial investment. Would I like for them to make a sequel to some of those games? Absolutely. But are those games that masses will pick up in droves to make it a great financial investment if they gave it a AAA budget? Probably not.

In terms of triple A at sony, there is an overreliance on the more realistic, western ips at Sony. They don't have many universally appealing AAA that they can bring back and it'd be a hit. Spyro and Crash are owned by Activision and hence Microsoft. They have Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, which they already released a title of this generation, and Astrobot which is coming out soon. Who else do they have?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You See What GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

tommib

Ridiculous statement. Sony doesn’t give any chance to older IPs. They’re obsessed with fucking designed by committee Horizon when they have names like Wipeout, Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone, Motorstorm, Days Gone closed in an arc.

They’re looking exclusively into multi-million sellers that cross the 10 million threshold when they could make sequels to all these IPs that with reasonable budgets could keep making a profit - not necessarily sell 30 million copies.

Stop chasing the marvel bullshit and the gaas delusion and use your past IPs to keep building a PlayStation history of quality games.

Last edited:
Ridiculous statement. Sony doesn’t give any chance to older IPs. They’re obsessed with fucking designed by committee Killzone when they have names like Spyro, Jak and Daxter, ICO, and Parappa closed in an arc.

They’re looking exclusively into multi-million sellers that cross the 10 million threshold when they could make sequels to all these IPs that with reasonable budgets could keep making a profit - not necessarily sell 30 million copies.

Stop chasing the marvel bullshit and the gaas delusion and use your past IPs to keep building a PlayStation history of quality games.

Fixed for

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

NickFire

I can't help but chuckle at first glance. But if he means not enough IP that they have taken care of over the years then I kind of get it.

Regardless of what he means, I wouldn't bet on them coming up with much new IP of significance until they have cleaned house of all management who wanted to purchase the Concord studio (and presumably the IP). And by management I am including officers and board members. They did not simply swing and miss. They demonstrated a complete detachment with almost the entire gaming audience IMO.

PlayStation has a ton of original IPs.
It's just that most of them are dormant because Sony is fucking retarded.
Agreed. So many have been abandoned as well. This man Totoki is clearly lacking brain cells. How they manage to put people like this in such an important role is baffling imo. He clearly doesn’t even fully know or realize his own product.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Agreed. So many have been abandoned as well. This man Totoki is clearly lacking brain cells. How they manage to put people like this in such an important role is baffling imo. He clearly doesn’t even fully know or realize his own product.

Totoki-san is an executor. He's there for financial control and to stop the bleeding. The core business is for Hermen and the other dude below Totoki.

Last edited:
Uncharted
TLOU
Twisted Metal
Ratchet
Horizon
GOW
Ghost Of Tsushima
Infamous
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Resistance

He is probably comparing to Microsoft which has "bought itself" tons of IP from Bethesda to Activision.

I mean a lot could be said about the statement itself, but ultimately if it leads to even more new IP, or digging deep and reviving old neglected IP instead of constantly going to the same ones over and over... I fail to see the negative to this lol

Top Bottom