• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

McNei1y

I'm the suburban sky when it's a clear night. I went camping two years ago in northern Maryland during the fall... oh man it was incredible. I immediately grabbed a beer, laid down on the grass, put on Mass Effect Galaxy Map music on repeat, and just stared at the stars for a good hour. It was bliss.

Prez

There's no place in the dutch-speaking part of Belgium where I could see anything better than "suburban/urban transition".

Some interesting numbers:

When looking at the LI map on country level (see figure 5, top), it is obvious that Europe is the region most affected with countries such as Germany and Italy featuring index values of around 50% and the BeNeLux countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg) having up to 95% of its total land area affected by light pollution. In the United States artificial night lighting has an impact on almost 15% of its total land area. Puerto Rico even has more than 80% directly affected and Japan comes up with a number of 40%. On the other side of the ranking most African countries feature very low LI values (e.g. Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, all 0.1%) and also Brazil and Argentina have just approximately 1% of its land area affected by light pollution.

http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu/documents/light-pollution-Jan2010.pdf

Amazing. There must be an alternative for the future that reduces the optical pollution. Another wavelength or augmented digital eyewear and automated transportation networks...? We lose something not living under the stars.
earthlights2_dmsp_big.jpg

fallout

I think it's just loading a ton of data without really noting it. I left it running in the background and noticed that over time, I could see more detail.

There is a very nice article on Mars' possible hot, wet past at newscientist.com today: Link

If I'm not mistaken you need a registration to read it... I won't post it already because this thread is almost dead... if anyone ask me to post here I will.

Don't forget this picture (article) (picture) which is similar but is 150 gigapixel (91.6 Gb Tif original) with over 1 billion stars of the Milky Way :) Crazy thing is this is still probably only 1/200 (0.5%) - 1/400 (0.25%) of the entire Milky Way which is only an average galaxy out of hundreds of billions.

Don't forget this picture (article) (picture) which is similar but is 150 gigapixel (91.6 Gb Tif original) with over 1 billion stars of the Milky Way :) Crazy thing is this is still probably only 1/200 (0.5%) - 1/400 (0.25%) of the entire Milky Way which is only an average galaxy out of hundreds of billions.

Isn't the milky way considered a pretty sizable galaxy? If I'm not mistaking I believe only Andromeda is larger in our Local Group?

Light From Universe's First Stars Seen

Astronomers have spotted light from the very first stars in the universe, which are almost as old as time itself.

Shortly after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago, the universe cooled enough to let atoms form, which eventually clumped together to create the first stars. Ever since these stars ignited, their light has been filling the universe, creating a pervasive glow throughout space that each successive generation of stars adds to.

Now, astronomers have detected this glow — called the extragalactic background light, or EBL — and have separated out the light from later stars, isolating the contribution from the first stars that ever existed.

The EBL is the ensemble of photons generated by all the stars and also all the black holes in the universe," said astrophysicist Marco Ajello of the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in California, who led the research. "The EBL also includes the light of the first massive stars that ever shone. We have a fairly good knowledge of the light emitted by 'normal' stars. Thus, by measuring the EBL we are able to constrain the light of the first stars."

More here:
http://www.space.com/18317-universe-first-stars-light-seen.html

I was going to say I live in one of the most light-poluted countries in the world, but so do you apparantly. Also did you know that according to a 2010 study each one of our neighbouring countries is in the top 20 of cleanest countries in the world but we're in 88th place?

No I did not know that, holy shit. We need to work on that, asap! Too bad our government doesn't care about us space freaks.

Oh how I wish I could have an "Excellent Dark Sky Site" in my backyard...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Isn't "first stars" relative, though? I always thought we know the age of the universe as 13.7 billion years old because that's as far back as we can see with our current technology and when we develop better instruments, it may turn out that we can see even further back in time and find older stars (and that the James Webb ST was designed with this goal in mind?)

Isn't "first stars" relative, though? I always thought we know the age of the universe as 13.7 billion years old because that's as far back as we can see with our current technology and when we develop better instruments, it may turn out that we can see even further back in time and find older stars (and that the James Webb ST was designed with this goal in mind?)

Actually we can't even see starts so old. But yes, we got those numbers from data collected along many centuries, from distant stars and how fast the Universe is expanding.

Gorgon

No. The age of the universe is calculated from the cosmological constant, which relates to the observable expansion rate and thus gives us an age. It has no direct bearing on how potent our telescopes are.

raindoc

any suggestions for a good starter's telescope (up to 500€)?
i'd prefer one with a good, reliable "go-to" function and the option to mount a camera (canon EOS) on it. i'm especially interested in deep sky observation, but would also like to take a look at sol's planets from time to time.

any suggestions for a good starter's telescope (up to 500€)?
i'd prefer one with a good, reliable "go-to" function and the option to mount a camera (canon EOS) on it. i'm especially interested in deep sky observation, but would also like to take a look at sol's planets from time to time.

For a camera and "go-to" tracking function most people go with a Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) style scope. But SCTs are not cheap and you want at least an 8-inch mirror if you want to "see" things beyond just planets. If you're using just a regular camera, the mounting bracket is actually really cheap, but once you get into serious astrophotography with CCD and CMOS cameras, you're looking at an insanely expensive hobby. With a regular mounted camera, you are limited to taking pictures of close-by planets (like Jupiter and Saturn) and the surface of the moon - anything else will be a blurry, hazy blob at best. For "bang for the buck" the Dobsonian style scope is the best - biggest mirror for the lowest price - but there is basically no tracking feature (unless you buy those unwieldy farm-built podium trackers). Tracking is essential for long-exposure photography of the skies. Orion, Celestron and Meade are basically the 3 big quality companies, then you get down to super expensive custom built scopes. To see deep sky objects properly you will need at least a 10-inch mirror, in my opinion, with pitch black skies of course.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That's a pretty asinine opinion to have considering how much money went into what he just did. Why didnt he insist on spending that money here on earf?

That's a pretty asinine opinion to have considering how much money went into what he just did. Why didnt he insist on spending that money here on earf?

The money spent on his endeavor was not tax payer money. There is a huge difference.

I still disagree with him though

Tess3ract

Banned
I mean, you cannot send people there because it is just too far away. That little knowledge we get from Mars, I don't think it does make sense.

Fucking moron

Good points raised:

The same could be said of Columbus - why try to go across a huge ocean just to get some spices from Asia (which he never got)??

Nah, it's better to not go anywhere. Stay home. Watch TV.
Because we can, because we should, because Mars, the rest of the solar system and the galaxy beyond are not just our destiny, but our birthright as sentient life in this universe. And I don't want to live in a world where small-mindedness will ever ground our greatest ambitions and dreams.

I in all honesty couldn't care less about what the guy thinks about the issue. I get that it was a cool thing that he jumped from such a height, but that doesn't mean I am going to care about his opinion on space exploration.

Carl Sagan would have been 78 years old today if he were alive.

imLBEFh6rDQIg.jpg

I wish I cared about the things that I do now when he was still around. Though his life was short he still inspires to this day. Via the poetry of nature, perhaps millions of years from now some of his atoms will compose another great scientific mind.

I wish I cared about the things that I do now when he was still around. Though his life was short he still inspires to this day. Via the poetry of nature, perhaps millions of years from now some of his atoms will compose another great scientific mind.
Most certainly, he's one of the reasons I'm so interested in space and the importance of science. May his soul rest in peace and everyone take a moment out their day for remembrance.

Top Bottom