• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

fallout

Windu: Those shots of STS124 are incredible.

Machado said:
you sir are the greatest guy in the thread, I've literally got hundreds of questiuons regarding this issue but i asume you wouldn't like answering them all...but really THANX for those answers...

and to think I always though that the milky way was only our sun and planets... If I ever get a tag it may damn well be about the space
Hey man, I'm here to educate. I'm just glad that it's appreciated. I love this stuff. Just keep in mind that I'm not an expert or anything, but I'll do my best. So hell, keep the questions coming.

Quazar said:
Since when did you stop working there?
I worked there doing my undergrad as a computer science major. Once I graduated in the fall, I decided to move home for a little while.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Machado said:
I saw a video a few pages back where there was a lift off from the moon and the camera followed te spacecraft, who was filming it? my wild guess would be noone but then again, who was moving the camera?
Camera mounted on the lunar rover. It was controlled by someone at mission control.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Machado said:
11.-do you have a picture of another planet easily visible in the sky?
I'm not exactly certain what planet this is, but this was taken by yours truly during dawn with the sun glows turning from blue into orange. I'm assuming this is either Mercury or Venus.. I figured it was Mercury because it honestly wasn't that bright in the sky compared to what Venus can provide, and the fact that it was right near the horizon where Mercury is only ever really seen without a telescope during sun rise and set.

P1010714.jpg

Windu

Here are some images from far away looking at Earth.

nmncat.jpg

21e50lh.jpg

^ This has already been posted but it deserves to be posted again. It was taken by NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft on February 14, 1990. 4 Billion miles away. We are only 0.12 pixel in size in this picture. Space is big, veeeeeerrrrryyyyy big.

28isymw.jpg

^ another picture that has been posted, but look!

xkqhlj.jpg

^Earth!

This photo was taken by Cassini, 1 billion miles from here.

2ez0ok4.jpg

^ ESA's Mars Express captured this image of Earth and the Moon on July 3, 2005.

3304lrm.jpg

^ Earth from the surface of Mars. Another planet! Isn't that awsome! btw it was taken by NASA's Mars rover Opportunity on April 29, 2005.

30t7911.jpg

^ I'm sure this has been posted before because its one of the most famous pictures that man has taken. From the Apollo 8 mission.

am84r5.jpg

Earthrise > Sunrise

Taken by the Japanese Kaguya spacecraft.

2gsiqh3.jpg

^ and this photo was taken by NASA's Galileo spacecraft in 1992 when it was on its way to Jupiter. Its not to scale though.

fallout

Apologies for the delay. It's been a busy weekend for me.

Machado said:
1.-Is there any posisibility of planets crashing to each other?
In their current state? Probably not. Early on though, that's basically how the solar system was formed and even a bit later, objects collided quite "frequently". Uranus, for example, rotates on an axis almost perpendicular to ours (and all the other planets in the solar system) and the best explanation is that it collided with some large object.

2.-if moon is slightly moving away from us, are we slightly moving away from the sun?
I don't think so. I could be wrong on that, though.

3.-Why is the moon white /gray?
A lot of that really white look is because of how much light it reflects. What you're seeing though, is just regolith, which is blend of dirt and dust. That's just the colour of it.

See this image for what is probably a better view:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/jsc40/gallery/lores/AS11-40-5875.jpg

4.-What kind of living creature would withstand mars conditions?
In Mars' current state? Nothing that I can think of. There's no food, as far as we can tell. The atmosphere isn't breathable by most types of creatures. There might be a bit of water, but if there is, it's in very small quantities and probably frozen.

5.-are there plans to make a better telescope than hubble?
Yep. The James Webb telescope will go up sometime in the future:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Telescope

6.-why can't we send the hubble away from earrth to have sharper pictures?
It would take too long to travel for it to make any appreciable difference. I'm also surprised that you think that hubble images have been blurry. I'd get into a discussion about resolution, magnification, field-of-view, etc., but I've got to get going soon to a soccer game.

7.-with galaxies moving around,will ours even collide?
Yep. We're going to collide with the Andromeda galaxy in about 5 billion years (although our star will probably die out around that time).

8.- to me, everything ha an ending, so...could there be such thing as universe ending, i mean can we reach the outer rim?, is there one?
Hoo boy. The universe is infinite, but the observable universe is something like 90 billion light years across. There's a lot more to this, but I don't even know where to start, heh.

9.-why is the universe black?
If there's nothing for light to reflect off of, then you just won't see anything.

10.-what would the church say if there was life elsewhere?
Although it's not a papal statement, the Vatican's astronomer didn't seem to have a problem with the possibility of it:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/14/news/vat.php

11.-do you have a picture of another planet easily visible in the sky?
I'll try to dig one up. I'm pretty new at astrophotography, so they're not the best, heh.

12.-what would happen if a bomb detonated in space?
This is really beyond my realm of expertise, but it would depend on the type of bomb, I think. Anyway, assuming it could explode, my guess would be that it would be a little different. There would be no pressure wave (as there is no atmosphere to displace), but the actual energy would still hit you in the form of particles.

Walshicus

fallout said:
Hoo boy. The universe is infinite, but the observable universe is something like 90 billion light years across. There's a lot more to this, but I don't even know where to start, heh.

Heh, I wouldn't be so sure on the boundlessness of the universe. Complex multidimensional topographies are mostly assumed that make it finite.

Walshicus

Machado said:
what's beyond that finite-ness?
Imagine you are an insect on a beachball. Your existence is a two dimensional plane in a three dimensional space. You can travel forever in any direction [except up or down, which for the purposes of this analogy you can't reach] and yet the ball is not infinite. Extend the analogy so the beachball's surface is a three dimensional plane in four dimensional space, and you have the gist of it.

Windu

Phoenix Digs for Clues on Mars

Click for Bigger Image

What's a good recipe for preparing Martian soil? Start by filling your robot's scoop a bit less than half way. Next, dump your Martian soil into one of your TEGA ovens, being sure to watch out for clumping. Then, slowly increase the temperature to over 1000 degrees Celsius over several days. Keep checking to see when your soil becomes vaporized. Finally, your Martian soil is not ready for eating, but rather sniffing The above technique is being used by the Phoenix Lander that arrived on Mars three weeks ago. Data from the first batch of baked soil should be available in a few days. Pictured above, a circular array of the Phoenix Lander's solar panels are visible on the left, while a scoop partly filled with Martian soil is visible on the right. The robotic Phoenix Lander will spend much of the next three months digging, scooping, baking, sniffing, zapping, dissolving, and magnifying bits of Mars to help neighboring Earthlings learn more about the hydrologic and biologic possibilities of the sometimes mysterious red planet.

fallout

Sir Fragula said:
Heh, I wouldn't be so sure on the boundlessness of the universe. Complex multidimensional topographies are mostly assumed that make it finite.
Right, unbounded but finite? Or something like that? I remember someone using that to describe it (my astrocred is going right out the window, here). It's been awhile since I've read A Brief History of Time, which is basically the only way I can wrap my head around most of this.

8.- to me, everything ha an ending, so...could there be such thing as universe ending, i mean can we reach the outer rim?, is there one?

That's one of those almost philosophical difficulties. Spatially speaking, our minds can't comprehend either an infinite or a finite universe. Just the nature of infinity causes troubles, naturally. And a three dimensional finite universe leads us to other concerns, such as what happens if you reached the end. You know, how could there be an existence of "nothing" because by the fact that it does exist qualifies it as "something".

Imagine you are an insect on a beachball. Your existence is a two dimensional plane in a three dimensional space. You can travel forever in any direction [except up or down, which for the purposes of this analogy you can't reach] and yet the ball is not infinite. Extend the analogy so the beachball's surface is a three dimensional plane in four dimensional space, and you have the gist of it.

That's a good analogy, but it isn't entirely satisfactory. To maybe make things a bit more clear, try to imagine the beachball as the earth. The surface of either object can be thought of as a two dimensional plane in three dimensional space. In other words, you can determine the location of any point on the surface by just two numbers: in the case of earth, its latitude and longitude. So while the surface of the earth could be thought of as two dimensional, it's imposed upon a three dimensional world where the factor of height is added to the length and width. In other words, to find the position of something in three dimensional space you need an additional number. Basically, you need another number to know where it is in relation to the ground.

So, imagine a two dimensional creature who lives on surface of the beachball or the planet. Being two dimensional he has no ability to move through the third dimension. So his possible paths are limited to what you could draw with a pen on a piece of paper, or a graph. For the sake of this analogy, you could imagine "unfolding" the beachball or whatever sphere you're thinking of, into a flat surface. (I know that doing that doesn't really work [like the way maps have to be distorted] but just bear with me.) So you take that two dimensional flat piece of paper or whatever and fold it back into a sphere. You've taken something two dimensional and essentially "wrapped" it through three dimensions.

So, we can define the surface of this sphere as the two dimensional creature's universe. He would move through it never suspecting that his universe is actually contained within a three dimensional sphere. His path through the universe would just be like that pen line on a piece of paper. He would never know (but he might suspect if he was a philosopher or a theoretical physicist!) that he's really twisting and turning around a planet.

Okay, so our creature decides to explore his universe one day, because he has the same questions about whether it can be infinite or not. He begins at the prime meridian and travels exactly north. Eventually, he goes far enough that he eventually reaches his starting point again! This is sure to be quite shocking for our poor two dimensional adventurer! He might conclude that the universe is indeed finite. There certainly appears to be a finite amount of matter, since he managed to see it all. So he thinks "gee, the universe appears to be a circle!". But this comes with its own problems. If his universe was an infinitely long line, with an infinite amount of matter, he'd arguably have less -- or at least very different -- problems. He'd have no reason to suspect something outside of his own universe.

Now here's where things kind of come together. He concluded that his universe appears to be a circle. But that's him picturing his two dimensional universe depicted in a one dimensional plane. He would begin to use the same logic we have been. A one dimensional creature living in a one dimensional world could be superimposed into our creature's two dimensional universe. (It's one dimensional, because his position in it can be calculated by a single number: it's just the x axis on a graph.) He imagines the 1D creature going on the exact same journey he just did. The 1D creature would be unaware, at first, that his universe exists in a vastly larger one with an added dimension, one that could contain a large (maybe infinite) number of other, distinct, one dimensional universes.

This reasoning shocks our two dimensional creature. His journey has led him to the conclusion, that yes, his universe appears to be finite. There is a finite amount of matter and space. But, going by his deduction using a one dimensional creature, he realizes that there may be something outside of his universe. The third dimension? His two dimensional mind would struggle with comprehending what a third dimension would entail, but he may be able to create models of it in his two dimensional world, such as a drawing of a cube. Eventually, he's likely to come to the conclusion that his universe is wrapped around a third dimension! So...his "universe" is certainly finite. But there does exist something beyond it. It doesn't ever actually "end", according to him. In fact, he may come to a theory of multiple universes, which would be equal to the number of spheres out in our three dimensional space. (And this is where the analogy has some weaknesses, because it only could really apply to spheres, which certainly aren't the only three dimensional objects with a two dimensional surface that we have, but they lend themselves best to this thought process.) He may be most interested in these other universes, but it's also possible he'd wonder about the third dimension. He'd have no clue about the wonders there!

*takes a breath*

Okay. So we take this all into our good ol' three dimensional space, and back to the beachball analogy. Some physicists use this type of reasoning to hypothesize that if you were to travel in a straight line long enough you'd end up back where you started (although, "where you started" could have several definitions). This would lead us to the same conclusions as our 2D friend, that our universe may be finite in space, but it exists wrapped around a higher dimension! This same type of reasoning can be used to hypothesize other universes, that we could only reach by accessing the dimension above our current one. It's hard for our minds to comprehend a fourth dimension (and I'm a bit uneasy about saying fourth dimension, which I'll touch on in a bit) but we can create models of it, such as a tesseract. While we may be interested in other universes, maybe we should be more interested in the fourth dimension, if it can be analogous to our 2Der's plight! Imagine the amount of wonder and variety and possibilities there are in a three dimensional world over his two dimensional world. What might be possible in a four dimensional world?

*head asplodes*

Okay, but this does have a few problems, and is likely not to be true. (The popular physics theory right now is String Theory, which takes an entirely different approach. I don't exactly subscribe to the theory, but it's important to note that there are multiple ways of approaching theses subjects.) For instance, we've completely failed to take time into account here. Once we do throw time into the equation, things get a bit sketchier. Time is often considered the fourth dimension, but it's distinctly different from the other three. It appears to be non-spatial (meaning, not like up or down or left or right) and linear. Maybe we shouldn't define time as a dimension, but this type of thing is essential to Eintein's general theory of relativity. Basically, according to that theory, space and time are intertwined (the spacetime continuum) to form our universe and each is dependent on and affects the other. This leads to lots of interesting things, but we won't really go into them here. So, in that sense, our universe could already be thought of as four dimensional, where one dimension is screwy and makes no sense in relation to the others.

That kind of throws a wrench in some things.

(Of course, Einstein's general theory of relativity has its own holes, particularly when related to the subatomic, where it just doesn't work. So something else may be discovered that creates a better model and supersedes Einstein's. Physicists are trying to find a "grand unifying theory" that basically explains how everything works, or at least a quantum theory of gravity that reconciles Einstein's general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics.)

So yeah, this is really just scratching the surface of things. The beachball hypothesis may or may not apply to our universe, but it's fascinating. And it's a great way to imagine our universe as being both finite and infinite.

Anyway, I'm sure if any physicists come in here they'll be able to point out lots and lots of inacuraccies in this post. I'm not a physicist, it's just sort of a hobby of mine. :D

5.-regading what senseiJinx has said, how can you understand that? I read your post twice and still don't get that

Honestly, I think I'm just terrible at explaining things. :D And I ramble way too much. Really, as to your original question, I think Sir Fragula's beachball answer should suffice as a way to imagine a finite universe. Which, whether or not it's actually true, it's a really interesting thought experiment!

But yeah, I kind of left astronomy and went on a big physics tangent there. =\

fallout

Machado said:
1.-what does the other side of the moon look like?
Like this:

moon_farside.jpg

2.-Can the earth rotate "backwards"?
Sure! But I don't think going to happen unless some massive collision forces it on us. As for why we spin the way we do, there's some sort of relationship between angular momentum and how the solar system was formed, but I'm a little too tired to remember how it all works.

3.-suppose someone would be willing to donate his body to NASA and he died in mars, would his body decompose? being no animals that can survive that atmosphere and nothing that can eat his flesh, again, would his flesh decompose?
Ooo, clever ... using a decaying body to start up life on Mars! I know very little about biology, but I would imagine that it would depend on how a body reacts to CO2 (which makes up most of the atmosphere).

4.-how would you react if there was some sort of life elsewhere? I know I'd be excited as hell.
I'm sure it would be a mix of: "Holy shit, AWESOME!" and "OH GOD I HOPE WE'RE NOT FUCKED"

5.-regading what senseiJinx has said, how can you understand that? I read your post twice and still don't get that
It takes time. Lots and lots of time. I think you have to have some sort of affinity for the unknown in order to find any enjoyment in this field. For me, it's always been about learning more and knowing that there's no way in hell I'll ever learn it all.

I was giving an observatory tour to some diplomats who were touring the campus and had this conversation:

<Diplomat Woman> I don't like these places.
<Me> ... high places? (thinking the steps were scaring her)
<DW> No, no! Astronomy places. They make me feel so insignificant.
<Me> Well, that's part of why I love working here!
<DW> *funny look*

Some people just don't get it, I guess.

6.-is every star on the sky a galaxy?, i mean I live in venezuela and near the moon there's always a star, could that be a galaxy?
Nope (or at least: most likely no). All those stars are stars, unless they're planets (Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn are possibilities). Few galaxies are even visible with the naked eye. Andromeda is, and you need to know exactly where to look and how to look for it and when you see it, it's a faint fuzzball. The problem with galaxies is that even though they are filled with billions of bright stars, they're so distant that the light becomes dimmed by interstellar medium (i.e., space dust).

7.-what's the most amazing picture from space you've ever seen?
The Hubble Ultra Deep Field:

hudf600px.jpg

A higher res version can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field

Here's what I had to say about it in the beginning of the thread:

Aside from the few stars you see in the foreground, just about everything in that image is a galaxy, down to the tiniest point. This makes up some 10'000 galaxies and the image is roughly one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky. The most distant light that you are looking at is 13 billion years old. For those not keeping score, that places the universe at approximately 800 million years old in this snapshot. That's pretty much the nanosecond after the sperm hit the egg in human terms.

8.- and last, what can I do to learn more about this?
Ask questions, read books, take a course on it, visit an observatory, etc.

Of course, that's all easier said than done. I wish you could give you some direction into some form of light reading. Maybe try some astronomy-related magazines? There's a whole bunch of stuff to this, and it's pretty daunting at first. Most of it, I just learn as I go, but I'm not even sure how I developed my general understanding of the field. Years of interest, I guess. Still, you've got the curiosity, so I think that's a great start.

So glad to see this thread breathing again.

I posted this before, but it's so god damn sci-fi esque amazing I have to repost it.

Atlantis_Docked_to_Mir.jpg

fallout said:
In their current state? Probably not. Early on though, that's basically how the solar system was formed and even a bit later, objects collided quite "frequently". Uranus, for example, rotates on an axis almost perpendicular to ours (and all the other planets in the solar system) and the best explanation is that it collided with some large object.

Indeed, also the leading hypothesis for the formation of our Moon is a collision with a proto planet when Earth was still molten.

Nowadays though the orbits have stabilized (or if they didn't those planets are gone.)

fallout

Machado said:
1.-what would be a good /cheap (reaaaally cheap) telescope to buy and observe some of this greatnesss?, any link please?
Honestly? I'd recommend a pair of eyes and a star chart, heh. Hubble has kind of spoiled us into thinking that everything we see in threads like these are easily viewable outside. For instance, that picture of the HUDF will never, EVER be visible with just a regular telescope.

However, having a look at craters on the moon through a small scope is a really cool experience, as is seeing multiple star clusters in a single field through a pair of binoculars. Still, even these simple tasks can be difficult in the realm of amateur astronomy. So, see if you can find constellations first and then come back to me and we'll talk. The absolute WORST thing one can do is buy a telescope right off the bat. It usually proves incredibly difficult to use and people become dejected and give up.

2.-why does mars have n atmosphere and the moon doesnt?, what does it take to have an atmosphere?
That, is an excellent question. Mass is the biggest factor, as you need to have enough gravity in order to pull the gases in. Also, the moon does actually have an atmosphere, but it's just very thin. The planet Mercury is similar in that it has very little atmosphere. On the other hand, other moons, like Titan are large enough to have an atmosphere.

3.-why, when entering the earth, spacecrafts burn?, is it because of high velocity?
Well, it's because of the high velocity and the friction caused by entering the atmosphere. Remember, they're coming from outer space where this is ZERO atmosphere; so the change at that velocity is quite dramatic.

if so, if they entered in "slow motion" woud that still happen?
If they could (and I don't think that they can ... I mean, the atmosphere actually acts as a breaking mechanism), it probably wouldn't happen, no.

4.-if the earth moves so fast, why do I feel like I'm in the same place?
There's no good point of reference to show you how fast you're going and all the good non-visual indicators of speed on Earth (wind, pressure, etc.) are all contained within the planet.

5.-if earth rotates and I'm traveling in a plane to the othe side of the planet, wouldn't it be chaeaper for an airplane to stand by and wait for the planet to rotate half way?
It took me a really long time to come up with an answer for this one. First off, think of a helicopter for this situation. As the helicopter hovers, it has to displace the air, which is moving along with the earth as it rotates. So, as the air moves, so does the helicopter (even though it's hovering).

I hope I got that right and that it makes sense.

SenseiJinx said:
Honestly, I think I'm just terrible at explaining things. :D And I ramble way too much. Really, as to your original question, I think Sir Fragula's beachball answer should suffice as a way to imagine a finite universe. Which, whether or not it's actually true, it's a really interesting thought experiment!

But yeah, I kind of left astronomy and went on a big physics tangent there. =\

There´s this video from Carl Sagan who might help to visualize the ideas in your post:

Carl Sagan (is Awesome and) Explains Tesseracts

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd just like to say thanks to Machado for asking the questions and fallout for providing the bulk of the answers along with the other guys. Great reading.

methos75

Banned
Machado said:
YES SIR...

1.-Is there any posisibility of planets crashing to each other? Ye, it has happen in the past, in fact it is therorized that a Planet called Thera once collided with us forming water and the moon.

2.-if moon is slightly moving away from us, are we slightly moving away from the sun? Yes.

4.-What kind of living creature would withstand mars conditions? Bacteria, some fungus, who knows. Remember that life can evolve that is directly non-earth in design, and able to withstand Mars nd other Planets environs.

7.-with galaxies moving around,will ours even collide? It has happen in the past, though most just pass each other.

8.- to me, everything ha an ending, so...could there be such thing as universe ending, i mean can we reach the outer rim?, is there one? No one really knows.

9.-why is the universe black? Lack of light.

10.-what would the church say if there was life elsewhere? It would probably destroy it as we know it, and lead to it being re-evolved into a dfferent form.

12.-what would happen if a bomb detonated in space? It would shoot out matter that would move out forever due to lack of gravity.

i'll be putting up more as you answer

thanx in advance

k

Windu

Inside the Coma Cluster of Galaxies

Click for Bigger Image

Almost every object in the above photograph is a galaxy. The Coma Cluster of Galaxies pictured above is one of the densest clusters known - it contains thousands of galaxies. Each of these galaxies houses billions of stars - just as our own Milky Way Galaxy does. Although nearby when compared to most other clusters, light from the Coma Cluster still takes hundreds of millions of years to reach us. In fact, the Coma Cluster is so big it takes light millions of years just to go from one side to the other! The above mosaic of images of a small portion of Coma was taken in unprecedented detail by the Hubble Space Telescope to investigate how galaxies in rich clusters form and evolve. Most galaxies in Coma and other clusters are ellipticals, although some imaged here are clearly spirals. The spiral galaxy on the upper left of the above image can also be found as one of the bluer galaxies on the upper left of this wider field image. In the background thousands of unrelated galaxies are visible far across the universe.
NASA Awards Contract for Constellation Spacesuit for the Moon
NASA has awarded a contract to Oceaneering International Inc. of Houston, for the design, development and production of a new spacesuit system. The spacesuit will protect astronauts during Constellation Program voyages to the International Space Station and, by 2020, the surface of the moon.

The subcontractors to Oceaneering are Air-Lock Inc. of Milford, Conn., David Clark Co. of Worcester, Mass., Cimarron Software Services Inc. of Houston, Harris Corporation of Palm Bay, Fla., Honeywell International Inc. of Glendale, Ariz., Paragon Space Development Corp. of Tucson, Ariz., and United Space Alliance of Houston.

"The award of the spacesuit contract completes the spaceflight hardware requirements for the Constellation Program's first human flight in 2015," said Jeff Hanley, Constellation program manager at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston. Contracts for the Orion crew capsule and the Ares I rocket were awarded during the past two years.

The cost-plus-award-fee spacesuit contract includes a basic performance period from June 2008 to September 2014 that has a value of $183.8 million. During the performance period, Oceaneering and its subcontractors will conduct design, development, test, and evaluation work culminating in the manufacture, assembly, and first flight of the suit components needed for astronauts aboard the Orion crew exploration vehicle. The basic contract also includes initial work on the suit design needed for the lunar surface.

"I am excited about the new partnership between NASA and Oceaneering," said Glenn Lutz, project manager for the spacesuit system at Johnson. "Now it is time for our spacesuit team to begin the journey together that ultimately will put new sets of boot prints on the moon."

Suits and support systems will be needed for as many as four astronauts on moon voyages and as many as six space station travelers. For short trips to the moon, the suit design will support a week's worth of moon walks. The system also must be designed to support a significant number of moon walks during potential six-month lunar outpost expeditions. In addition, the spacesuit and support systems will provide contingency spacewalk capability and protection against the launch and landing environment, such as spacecraft cabin leaks.

Two contract options may be awarded in the future as part of this contract. Option 1 covers completion of design, development, test and evaluation for the moon surface suit components. Option 1 would begin in October 2010 and run through September 2018, under a cost-plus-award fee structure with a total value of $302.1 million.

Option 2 provides for the Orion suit production, processing and sustaining engineering under a cost-plus-award fee or a firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery, indefinite-quantity contract structure with a maximum value of $260 million depending on hardware requirements. Option 2 would begin at the end of the basic performance period in October 2014, and would continue through September 2018.
nfp2ps.jpg

The Constellation Program mission requires two spacesuit system configurations to meet the requirements of Orion missions to the space station and to the moon. Configuration One will support dynamic events such as launch and landing operations; contingency intravehicular activity (IVA) during critical mission events; off-nominal events such as loss of pressurization of the Orion crew compartment; and microgravity EVAs for contingency operations. Image Credit: NASA.
104l1tg.jpg

Configuration Two will build upon Configuration One and will support lunar surface operations. While preparing to walk on the moon, the astronauts will construct Configuration Two by replacing elements of Configuration One with elements specialized for surface operations. Image Credit: NASA.
Link

Evolution of the NASA Spacesuit

fallout

SonnyBoy said:
I actually support the site that does a lot of work on the JW, pretty kool stuff. It's awesome seeing the backlit Hubble images in their native resolution/size lining the walls of the campus.
Heh, that's pretty cool. I've always wanted to visit NASA and totally geek out. I know the program has tons of issues (many of which I'm quite vocal about), but I'm pretty sure I'd ignore all of that completely while I was there.

Machado said:
I whish I knew as much as you do so I wouldn't be an ignorant about the issue.
Pfft. It's not ignorant in my eyes if you're asking.

1.-If regolith is brought here to earth and someone planted a plant there, would it survive? I mean with the necessary water.
Well, regolith is just a blanket term for: "The blanket of soil and loose rock fragments overlying the bedrock." Now, obviously, there's no soil on the moon (which would imply some sort of organic material), so we're just talking about dust and such. But yeah, it would survive. We've got a few tons of Moon regolith sitting around at NASA.

2.- who took the picture of the other side of the moon?
That picture I posted came from a NASA probe called Clementine 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_probe#High-Resolution_Camera_.28HIRES.29). The USSR was the first to photograph it back in 1959.

3.-When people are on the moon, do they actually see its curvature?
Well, they see a very near horizon. See here: http://www.apollo-projekt.de/images/AS12-47-6897.jpg

4.- Would water evaoprate in the moon? where would it go?
If it were heated during the lunar day (which gets up to boiling), it would evaporate. That said, there's some evidence of frozen water on the north and south poles of the Moon.

5.-in sharpness, what would be the difference between the hubble and the next telescope thyey're sending to space?
Well, Hubble has a diameter of 2.4m and 4.5m² of light-collection area. James Webb will have a diameter of 6.5m and 25m² of light-collection area. So, uh ... it'll be a pretty sizable difference. And the best part really won't be the resolution (sharpness) improvement, but the fact that it'll be able to see farther with greater ease, thanks to the increased light-gathering capability.

6.-is there a possibity that there are other living creatures that don't need the same thing as us to survive? (water or air among others) if so there's a lot of possibilities that there'sife outthere.
It's been theorized, sure, but no evidence has really been provided of it (to my knowledge, anyway). We know that where there's water, there's a strong possibility of life. As such, that's what we're going to keep looking for.

Youta Mottenai said:
There´s this video from Carl Sagan who might help to visualize the ideas in your post:

Carl Sagan (is Awesome and) Explains Tesseracts

Dude, that was awesome. Carl Sagan is great. That really helps you visualize the idea of a tesseract.

I guess a much more succinct version of my previous post would be that it's possible that the universe is indeed finite -- a finite amount of matter and space -- but that it doesn't have an "end", per se. According to the beachball hypothesis, there isn't an edge that you could reach and fall off. It's possible that the universe is akin to a ball, and that if you traveled through it far enough you'd end up back where you started. Which may or may not be possible, but it's very interesting, and helps give a possible answer to those cyclical thoughts about the nature of the universe.

I'd just like to say thanks to Machado for asking the questions and fallout for providing the bulk of the answers along with the other guys. Great reading.

Yeah, I've got to echo this comment! It's been awesome. I don't know a whole ton about space, and this has been very enlightening. It's sort of bringing me back to those days when I was a kid living in the country, and the sense of wonder I would get every time I looked up into the sky, and everything I wondered about it. Unfortunately, when we moved to a city with light pollution, that kind of fell off. The curiosity was still there, but not with the same intensity.

*remembers lying on the grass on summer nights just staring into space and thinking*

Warm fuzzy time!

Machado said:
4.-there are nine planets, but how many other things circle around the sun?

Well, there's the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, which has an awful lot of junk orbiting the sun. One of those things is Ceres, the 3rd dwarf planet (the others being Pluto and Eris). It's not really a planet, per se...just a really big, fairly rounded rock stuck in the belt and not really able to affect the other junk floating around.

Farther out (ie: pluto range) there is the Kuiper Belt, which is filled with objects (some still undiscovered, I imagine) including some of plutoid size, like Sedna, Quaoar, and a few larger but not officially named ones. I think 2005 fy9 is the next candidate for dwarf planet status? It's pretty big but lacks any moons of its own so far.

Anyway, aside from scientific advancement - gravity perturbations and telescopes and whatnot - a lot of the trouble finding places like Eris has been that their orbits tend to be really wacky. If you imagined the traditional 8 planets to all have orbits on a flat plane (and I'm being rough here, that's not the case), their orbits look roughly like lines from the side. The orbit of Eris would look like an ellipse from that same angle...not exactly what astronomers would typically be looking at. ;)

Walshicus

Machado said:
There are eight planets. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. There are three dwarf planets. Ceres, Pluto, Eris.
There are a lot of asteroids. Those in the asteroid belt, those in orbits by Jupiter, and others I forget the term for.
There are a tonne of comets, both inside the main solar system and orbitting many, many Earth-orbits from the sun in the Oort Cloud.

fallout

Machado said:
1.-is there a possibility for us to move the planet away from the sun?
I don't even want to bust out the math on that one, so I'm going to say no. And besides, any significant change in our orbit would affect the temperature of our planet.

2.- What's the name of that super star that looks like the sun but is white?
Not a clue!

3.-if, when they were on the moon, the spaceship would be damaged beyond repair, what would they have done?
They would have waited to die, or tried to resolve the problem until they died. There was no rescue mission planned (although, some further reading led me to this: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/gemelter.htm). This is pretty much why they recruited military test pilots for the early space missions. And this is a complete side-thought I just had ... I think being an astronaut was probably safer than being a test pilot (statistically, anyway).

Crazymoogle and Sir Fragula covered this quite nicely.

5.-if moon is moving away, where will it end up?
Well, it's moving away at a rate of 38 mm per year. Our Sun will explode in 5 billion years. So, in that time, assuming nothing else happens, the moon will have moved away by about 190 000 km (still orbiting, remember). It's average orbital distance is around 400 000km. So, it's orbital size will have increased by about 50% over 5 billion years. This will do things like affect tides (and I think the moon's orbit will eventually stabilize anyway, since tides are what's causing this), but still, we're talking about 5 billion years. I'm betting humans won't even be around by then (as NeoNeoNeo.....NeoGAF laughs at me from the future). And our Sun will be dead then, anyway.

6.-with a telescope, would I be able to see the planets in full color?
Yep. Although, I find that the planets can almost be too bright at times, leading to a lot of bleeding. Some say it's almost best to view them during twilight. Here are my thoughts on the planets:

Mercury: I've never even seen it through a telescope. Got up one morning to see if I could see it, but that was it.
Venus: Looks like a bit white ball, but has phases like the moon. Sometimes you'll see some really neat colours, but that's mostly an atmospheric effect.
Mars: Looks like a fuzzy, ugly red thing. I've never understood the appeal, even under the best of conditions. But hey, to each their own.
Jupiter: Beautiful, especially when you can make out the gas bands. The 4 largest moons are easily visible and kind of a treat.
Saturn: Stunning. The rings are an incredible sight. The best planet to view and quite possibly one of the most beautiful objects in the entire night sky.
Uranus: Kind of a greenish/bluish fuzzball. Hard to find, but neat to see.
Neptune: Similar to Uranus, but even harder to find. I've actually seen its moon Triton, which ranks as one of my all-time favourite astro-related accomplishments.

This is great stuff! I'm still trying to wrap my head around 3 sphere and tesseract, but that Sagan video stops right when he's getting to the good stuff. If you drop a cube into flatland, it would look like a square or rectangle depending on how it's rotated, and a sphere would look like a circle. So would a tesseract dropped into our world just look like a cube? If so, I still can't wrap my head around what the 4D shape would look like.

Okay, on to my question. The Bad Astronomy guy says that no matter which way we look, the universe is expanding outward at about the speed of light. Outward being a relative thing...so no matter where you observe the expansion from, stuff is moving away giving the universe no center...at least not a center in this dimension.

-So why doesn't Alpha Centauri get one light year further away each year? It's only 4+ light years away, but obviously older than four years old.
-Does gravity slow the expansion in a galaxy?
-So when they say that the universe is expanding, are they only talking about galaxies?
-Are other galaxies at least as far away as they are old? Is a galaxy that's a billion years old at least a billion light years away?

I'm guessing that when they say the universe is expanding, we are moving at the same rate with everything else, that's why things don't get a light year further away each year. But since everything is expanding "outward" from us, then we are also moving outward in all directions at the same time. And THAT is just messed up.

fallout

PrivateWHudson said:
Okay, on to my question. The Bad Astronomy guy says that no matter which way we look, the universe is expanding outward at about the speed of light. Outward being a relative thing...so no matter where you observe the expansion from, stuff is moving away giving the universe no center...at least not a center in this dimension.
The most common analogy is to imagine the universe as unbaked dough and the galaxies within the universe as raisins in that dough. As the dough rises (universe expands), the raisins (galaxies) get farther away from each other, but any of those raisins can be seen as a central point with respect to the other raisins.

I'll answer your third question first, since it's just easier in terms of this discussion:

-Does gravity slow the expansion in a galaxy?
Gravity effectively stops the expansion in a galaxy. As another analogy, you're not ripped to shreds by tidal forces, but they're clearly have a strong effect here on Earth. Try to think of it like that.

-So why doesn't Alpha Centauri get one light year further away each year?
Gravity holds it in its orbit around the galaxy.

I'd say for the rest of your questions, I'm going to have to defer you to here:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#ct2

Cosmology is not my strongest area. Maybe someone else can chime in.

bone idle

fallout said:
The most common analogy is to imagine the universe as unbaked dough and the galaxies within the universe as raisins in that dough. As the dough rises (universe expands), the raisins (galaxies) get farther away from each other, but any of those raisins can be seen as a central point with respect to the other raisins.

The Milky Way is just a Great Big Raisin is the sequel to Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's The World is just a Great Big Onion.

Thanks guys, great thread. I've always had a fascination for Space, don't really know much about it :\ but hey the pictures are amazing.

cjdunn

The pictures of the larger stars are just 'shopped versions of our Sun and resized to scale.

I've the seen that before, but my mind is still blown.

fallout

Machado said:
how are they meassured?
You can determine a planet's size using some fairly basic trig.

Measuring the size of stars is something that is done by analyzing its spectral type and then inferring its size from that. There's basically a connection between a star's mass, spectral type, temperature, etc., so once you have part of it, you can figure out the rest.

how were these pictures taken?
The planet pictures were most likely taken by various probes. I should probably recognize them and know which ones were taken with what, but I'm too lazy to go around and compare. Any of those stars that isn't the Sun is just a mock-up.

Just a heads up; we've seen some great mars photos, even in this thread, but this link has some particularly vivid resolution shots from the latest mission.

Machado said:
1.-if you were to visit another planet, which one would you choose and why?
2.-Why does Venus rotate backwards than otyher planets?
3.-does the sun have an atmosphere?
4.-(not space related but still interesting) I live in venezuela, near the equator, why do I feel I'm walking on a flat land?
5.-When do they plan to have aq man on mars?
6.- why do all planets circle the sun in a perpendicular way?

1. Well, providing you were invincible I think Venus would be pretty interesting as one of those places that you simply just couldn't look around otherwise. I think Venus is a pretty interesting place; if the climate (and I imagine a bit of the geology) could get under control, it would be a far more hospitable place than Mars. (Note: Mars actually has a more promising magnetic field though.)

2. Either tidal effects causing slowing, or a massive impact event. (Even Earth is gradually slowing down; our day was apparently 23hrs around the time of the dinosaurs.) Venus has a further problem in that its rotation is so damn slow.

3. Not really in the traditional sense. It has various spheres of influence - heat, magnetics, radiation and so on - but obviously is way too hot to support the things we consider to be atmosphere. It's full of heavy elements, but short of wacky star trek technology we won't be getting close to the Sun anytime soon.

4. I'm sure somebody has a better answer; but simply put, the diameter and surface area of the Earth are so large that from an individual perspective on the ground, the world appears flat; the actual bend of the planet is obscured by the atmosphere as well as surface features. To make things more complicated, the Earth is not perfectly round; it bulges around the equator.

5. There is talk (and some work) towards a Mars mission sometime around 2030, but the problems are ridiculously massive. Currently, the travel time there is measured in months, not days, there is little or no radiation protection on the way or at the destination, and unlike the Moon, there is an atmosphere to penetrate, so the landing would be difficult. Even communication time would be significantly longer.

I think the last estimate I saw put mission cost at $20 billion?

6. Not sure on the specifics, but this is not the case for all of the planets. Pluto, Neptune, and Eris have a very different interaction than the inner core of the Solar System.

Hootie

Crazymoogle said:
5. There is talk (and some work) towards a Mars mission sometime around 2030, but the problems are ridiculously massive. Currently, the travel time there is measured in months, not days, there is little or no radiation protection on the way or at the destination, and unlike the Moon, there is an atmosphere to penetrate, so the landing would be difficult. Even communication time would be significantly longer.

I think the last estimate I saw put mission cost at $20 billion?

$20 billion is nothing compared to the money we're putting into the Iraq "War". So sad...

Hootie said:
$20 billion is nothing compared to the money we're putting into the Iraq "War". So sad...

Oh, sure. It's peanuts compared to a lot of things in the US budget. The problem is, that's billions more than NASA's current yearly budget, and only 6 years in history can match that number. I think the whole idea of Earth-Mars travel needs development and streamlining - I really believe terraforming needs to happen at some point - but eviscerating NASA would not be the best way to do it.

fallout

If I could visit any planet? I think I would have to go with Jupiter. And by Jupiter, I mean its moon Europa (suck on it, black monolith). Digging around for water and enjoying the sight of this massive gas giant in front of me. I think it'd be pretty neat.

And more realistically, I would give my left nut to visit Mars. I don't know who would want my left nut or what for, but I would honestly do it.

Hootie said:
To be fair, the $20 billion estimate would most likely ramp up very quickly. Still peanuts, but ... larger ones. Cashews, maybe.

fallout

Machado said:
more questions.....................
More answers!

1.- has the hubble taken pictures of pluto? link?
I couldn't remember if HST (Hubble Space Telescope) had imaged Pluto or not, but I just spent like ... the past hours going through various HST images. God, I hope STS-125 goes well.

Anyway, this is the best known image of Pluto, taken in 1990:

Pluto.jpg

2.-I'm really interested in getting a telescope (thanx to this amazing thread that I don't seem to let go) because i wanna be able to admire in first hand the planets andmoon craters, which one could I get? one that's cheapo (like in VERY VERY cheapo)
Unfortunately, the cheaper you go, the worse off you usually are. In fact, going cheap can usually be a waste of money. However, if you're REALLY keen on this (and I still advise against it) ... see if you can find a cheap 3-4 inch achromatic refractor. It'll be decent for planets. Whatever you do, don't just buy one at the department store. They have TERRIBLE optics.

3.-what is tidal effects?
It's basically a result of gravitational force. Two bodies interacting on each other. It's we the ocean rolls in and out.

4.- is there a picture of artificial sattelites in the space?
Of course! Here's the HST from one of the space shuttle missions (STS-82):

hubble.jpg

5.-right now, what is the most visible planet on the sky? (I'm in Barquisimeto, Venezuela)
Right now, Jupiter is in the constellation Sagittarius, which should be visible to you.

6.-If i'm not mistaken, there was an aircraft that landed on venus, where Can I find the pictures taken?
Yep! There was a Russian probe. It didn't last too long thanks to the raining sulphuric acid, but you can read more on it and see images of it here:

http://cseligman.com/text/planets/venussurface.htm

And other Venus mission here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observations_and_explorations_of_Venus

7.- Is there really ice on mars?
There is ice in the form of CO2 (carbon-dioxide) and there is evidence of water-ice as well.

are there real clouds there?, is there wind?
There are clouds, dust storms, etc. It has an atmosphere, and associated weather. It's just not very hospitable.

fallout

Machado said:
1.-so regarding this mers' clouds, does it rain there?
No rain that I'm aware of, but there is precipitation in the form of frost. Lightning as well.

2.-what is the average temperatue in mars arond it's equator?
The warmest it gets is -5 °C

3.-why didn't the venus craft last for long, besides sulphuric acid?
I'm pretty sure that the acid melted most of the equipment. I remember reading that some of it had been diamond coated. I can't verify that, though (or at least, be bothered to). Point is, Venus is more inhospitable than Mars, heh.

4.-Huya is an asteroid I believe, it was discovered by a venezuelan, how relevant is it?
From Wikipedia:

At the time of its discovery, Huya was the biggest and brightest TNO (Trans-Neptunian Object) yet found. It was found using data collected by at the CIDA Observatory in Venezuela. It is estimated to be 480 km in diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38628_Huya

Pretty neat discovery, if you ask me.

5.-is there a photograph of mars from the earth?
Yeah, we've got plenty. Most through bigger telescopes than most of us have access to, of course. This was taken with the HST during a close Mars approach back in 2005.

mars-hst.jpg

Here's a collection of Mars images that I found, taken by some guy in the Philippines using an 11 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and a DMK21BF04 camera.

http://astro.christone.net/mars/index.html

6.-What direction must I look to find jupiter?
Here's a sky chart for your area at the time that I'm posting this.

machado-sky-chart.gif

So, it'll be a little south-west of the Moon.

fallout said:
I'm pretty sure that the acid melted most of the equipment. I remember reading that some of it had been diamond coated. I can't verify that, though (or at least, be bothered to). Point is, Venus is more inhospitable than Mars, heh.

Hmm. Dunno about Acid, but the two big problems AFAIK were:

Temperature (400-500c)
Pressure (90-100 earth atmospheres)

It's kind of like trying to land a probe deep underwater, only all of the water is lava. :lol

One neat atmospheric side effect is that the russian probes that landed on the surface actually jettisoned their parachutes 50km from the ground, and used air-brake techniques for a gentle descent.

fallout

Crazymoogle said:
Hmm. Dunno about Acid, but the two big problems AFAIK were:

Temperature (400-500c)
Pressure (90-100 earth atmospheres)

It's kind of like trying to land a probe deep underwater, only all of the water is lava. :lol
:lol Oh yeah. Funny how the mind doesn't link up facts, sometimes.

One neat atmospheric side effect is that the russian probes that landed on the surface actually jettisoned their parachutes 50km from the ground, and used air-brake techniques for a gentle descent.
Oh, those clever Russians.

Top Bottom