• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Shorty said:
I'm not saying cut back on science in general. I'm all for medical research etc. but NASA funding seems useless right off now. There is no program that I'm aware of that could help humanity in any way. I don't recall the moonlanding being of any greater benefit either. It was just a huge dick waving contest between Russia and the USA with the better outcome for the US. It was just a project that boosted America's self-esteem.

Overpopulation is a lie. It's just that some places on earth are crowded as hell whereas the majority is still to be populated. We don't need another planet to live on for now.
No it isn't. You seem to be assuming that everywhere on earth sustains life equally well, or maybe you are forgetting that different countries don't like to share land and resources? Shit is getting crowded mang.

That said, I agree with everything else you said.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Freshmaker said:
War, disease and famine tend to keep that growth in check just fine.
You do realize that his little statistic is taking that into account right? I'm sure people don't only sample from the days when there was no war or famine to come up with statistics like this.
The way to solve overpopulation is to stop feeding people where there is not enough food. Thats how other creatures stay under control.
Unfortunately, we have too much compassion (myself included) and send food to places where people are starving. They have kids and then the number of starving people just got bigger.

Fuck the moon and mars, btw

090828-shuttle%2002_0002.h2.jpg

what is likely to be the last nighttime shuttle launch ever. go discovery go!

(there are only 6 shuttle launches remaining)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
D. rad Bacteria: Candidate Astronauts

34plusz.jpg

These bacteria could survive on another planet. In an Earth lab, Deinococcus radiodurans (D. rad) survive extreme levels of radiation, extreme temperatures, dehydration, and exposure to genotoxic chemicals. Amazingly, they even have the ability to repair their own DNA, usually with 48 hours. Known as an extremophile, bacteria such as D. rad are of interest to NASA partly because they might be adaptable to help human astronauts survive on other worlds. A recent map of D. rad's DNA might allow biologists to augment their survival skills with the ability to produce medicine, clean water, and oxygen. Already they have been genetically engineered to help clean up spills of toxic mercury. Likely one of the oldest surviving life forms, D. rad was discovered by accident in the 1950s when scientists investigating food preservation techniques could not easily kill it. Pictured above, Deinococcus radiodurans grow quietly in a dish.

Prez

sinxtanx said:
I would not bet money on that

If not the pic you posted, are there any 3D images using this method in 60fps? I'd like to see what it looks like, even if they're just experimental.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2lt5ypz.jpg

This image from LRO shows the spacecraft's first look at the Apollo 12 landing site. The Intrepid lunar module descent stage, experiment package (ALSEP) and Surveyor 3 spacecraft are all visible. Astronaut footpaths are marked with unlabeled arrows. This image is 824 meters (about 900 yards) wide. The top of the image faces North. Credit: NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center/Arizona State University
5p3k3l.jpg

This graphic shows the approximate locations of the Apollo moon landing sites.
animation

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_20090903_apollo12.html

Amir0x

Banned
man just looking at that fills me with a sense of unavoidable dread, knowing i am going to die before we can explore all these magnificent galaxies and their almost certainly diverse amounts of life on a endless amount of planets.

So beautiful :(

Mobius 1

Amir0x said:
man just looking at that fills me with a sense of unavoidable dread, knowing i am going to die before we can explore all these magnificent galaxies and their almost certainly diverse amounts of life on a endless amount of planets.

Indeed. :(

Miau

Neo Member
Amir0x said:

True. Thinking about the extraordinary progress we made in such little time during the Cold War... and seeing humanity not uniting their efforts into what is ultimately our final goal and destination fills me with anxiety.

It's difficult to convey entirely my feelings, but if I had to describe it, I'd say its almost a claustrophobic feeling. Not in the sense that I have limited movement or lack of air in our planet :)lol) but in the sense that I'm "trapped", confined here, when there is so much more to see and explore. Being part of something much larger, in which we are simply mere products of randomness. Not being able to fully explore and understand all the chaos that surrounds us; Those are feeling that sometimes are almost too much to bear, when you spend some time thinking about it.

<- I can only imagine what this man felt when he discovered he was going to die without ever setting a foot in space. A beautiful human being that poured his passion and soul into his work, inspiring generations with his love and curiosity about the Universe. :')

*Salute*

Amir0x

Banned
Miau said:
True. Thinking about the extraordinary progress we made in such little time during the Cold War... and seeing humanity not uniting their efforts into what is ultimately our final goal and destination fills me with anxiety.

It's difficult to convey entirely my feelings, but if I had to describe it, I'd say its almost a claustrophobic feeling. Not in the sense that I have limited movement or lack of air in our planet :)lol) but in the sense that I'm "trapped", confined here, when there is so much more to see and explore. Being part of something much larger, in which we are simply mere products of randomness. Not being able to fully explore and understand all the chaos that surrounds us; Those are feeling that sometimes are almost too much to bear, when you spend some time thinking about it.

<- I can only imagine what this man felt when he discovered he was going to die without ever setting a foot in space. A beautiful human being that poured his passion and soul into his work, inspiring generations with his love and curiosity about the Universe. :')

*Salute*

Carl Sagan is my priest. The way he articulates his wonderment about our universe is so captivating that just listening to him can instantly make sense of subjects normally beyond my grasp of understanding.

I love space more than anything I can think of. It's interesting to me that I don't like most sci-fi shows at all, but I think it's part because I feel I am going to die before any cool shit like that ever happens. And it's partially because the fakeness of many sci-fi shows really puts me off in a galaxy where such amazing things take place every day on scales nearly incomprehensible

Miau said:

*Salute*

Billions and Billions of salutes.

I read a series of interviews with Sagan where he was asked if he believed in an afterlife. He gave one of his objective answers, saying there was no proof either way. But that if there was, he hoped it would enable him to traverse the cosmos so he could learn and study the things he dreamed about.

Amir0x said:

Just believe in reincarnation and it will happen. Hell you might end up on another planet in a better position of life if you did good in this one.

UltimaPooh said:
Just believe in reincarnation and it will happen. Hell you might end up on another planet in a better position of life if you did good in this one.
I really hope such a thing would happen. We could be blessed with an extra ten lives and still be short on time...it really is a bit melancholy. At this point, and probably for the next 150 years at least, it feels like we are being teased. We are constantly being tormented with new enlightenments, updated theories, and unbelievable photos that we will never see through to the end.

:^/

Miau

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
Carl Sagan is my priest. The way he articulates his wonderment about our universe is so captivating that just listening to him can instantly make sense of subjects normally beyond my grasp of understanding.

I love space more than anything I can think of. It's interesting to me that I don't like most sci-fi shows at all, but I think it's part because I feel I am going to die before any cool shit like that ever happens. And it's partially because the fakeness of many sci-fi shows really puts me off in a galaxy where such amazing things take place every day on scales nearly incomprehensible

The "Cosmos" collection is one of most precious possessions I have. I haven't seen them in years but this thread is tempting me. I googled a bit and discovered the series got a DVD release. Maybe I should hunt one of those before all those VHS's stop working.

And yes, its impressive how he conveys all that information and enthusiasm to the viewer. Even my mother, who isn't a big fan of astronomy would stop whatever she was doing and watch it with me. His narration, the imaginary journey aboard the star ship, and the beautiful soundtrack really makes it a magical experience. Schools should show this to kids while talking about space.

About sci-fi series, I'm exactly the opposite, I like them because they are inspiring and make me feel like it's the closest I'll ever be to experiencing space. Of course, theres only so much crap one can take. :lol

And although the sci-fi series I like the most focus more on the characters (BSG, Babylon 5), none of them, I think, have the same appeal, or are as inspiring as the ones who focus on deep space exploration.

I actually prefer the first Star Trek to Wrath of Khan, don't kill me. :(

Memphis Reigns said:
Billions and Billions of salutes.

:lol

:')

Machado said:
who's that guy?

Lord Sagan.

Miau said:
He is indeed the man. Maybe we will get a bluray release one day soon.

Amir0x said:
I've always found this odd about myself as well. I'm completely infatuated with space and its many facets, but sci-fi books and shows(and games) are completely uninteresting to me for the most part. Perhaps its also due to the fact that while many shows are based in space, they still are very much grounded in our reality. They never quite deliver on just how huge the scope of it is from our perspective, nor do they give us a taste of the truly amazing or other "worldly". For a place that garners a near unimaginable number of sights, sounds, and situations...most of the books, shows, and games leave me with a "meh" feeling.

Miau

Neo Member
abstract alien said:
He is indeed the man. Maybe we will get a bluray release one day soon.

I've always found this odd about myself as well. I'm completely infatuated with space and its many facets, but sci-fi books and shows(and games) are completely uninteresting to me for the most part. Perhaps its also due to the fact that while many shows are based in space, they still are very much grounded in our reality. They never quite deliver on just how huge the scope of it is from our perspective, nor do they give us a taste of the truly amazing or other "worldly". For a place that garners a near unimaginable number of sights, sounds, and situations...most of the books, shows, and games leave me with a "meh" feeling.

I didn't even knew that Cosmos got a DVD release.:lol
Let's hope for a Bluray edition, though.

Since you talked about sci-fi games, one I really liked was Freelancer. It wasn't as fleshed out as they initially promised, but I think it was really an engaging game that capitalized on the space theme. Most of the time you were alone, traveling huge distances as you went to your objectives, with a soothing ambient music that fit very well the on-screen action. It has a very different feel to it than most of space games. I still play it regularly.

About the rest, well... It's part of the human nature to associate everything with the references we have. Even most alien designs we see are humanoid.:lol

So I do agree that sometimes it reaches a point were it seems so generic you can't take it anymore. One example are those sci-fi episodes that every Trek-Stargate series has; they somehow reach a planet that it's still on its Middle Age stage of development. Every time I see that shit I just change the channel.:lol

Taiser

Amir0x said:

no need to be :( about it.

even by traveling @ the speed of light, no human being would live long enough to even cover the 100.000+ years (BTW good luck finding an energy source that can accelerate shit @ the speed of light for 100.000 years) that would be required to get a full view of our own milky way galaxy .... let alone traveling to the sombrero galaxy and exploring it (add another shazillion years). :lol

the distances are to big ...
our lives are too short ...

it's inconceivable.

Taiser said:

even by traveling @ the speed of light, no human being would live long enough to even cover the 100.000+ years (BTW good luck finding an energy source that can accelerate shit @ the speed of light for 100.000 years) that would be required to get a full view of our own milky way galaxy .... let alone traveling to the sombrero galaxy and exploring it (add another shazillion years). :lol

it's inconceivable.
Maybe, just maybe, the whole "worm hole" theory will pan out into something noteworthy. That would then create the problem of getting the information back to us through said wormhole, since I highly doubt we would send humans through such a thing. There is no telling what the hell could happen if something passed through an object(or entity, whatever) like that.

*sigh* We're screwed, at least for the next million years, or whenever the sun decides to croak and leave us its going away present.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Taiser said:

it's inconceivable.

Not necessarily true. Time dilation allows the distances to be shorted by substantial amounts, no, by enormous amounts. Einstein proved that time dilation at the speed of light exists. It would be possible to transverse large distances, such as the space between galaxies and even further in the span of a human life. You would live and survive the journey, but there would probably be no Earth left behind when you got back, and everyone you knew would be long since dead.

Extollere said:
Not necessarily true. Time dilation allows the distances to be shorted by substantial amounts, no, by enormous amounts. Einstein proved that time dilation at the speed of light exists. It would be possible to transverse large distances, such as the space between galaxies and even further in the span of a human life. You would live and survive the journey, but there would probably be no Earth left behind when you got back, and everyone you knew would be long since dead.

Thinking about that just creeps me out.

I went to a laser light show at the University of Louisville planetarium tonight for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...totally sober/not high might I add...and prior to the show I was looking at some of the posters for their normal shows.

Anybody been to one of these at a planetarium? Is it worth the price of admission?

Extollere said:
Are you referring to the lightspeed/slower aging issue? I honestly forgot about that. Did he also make a statement about time travel being possible once speeds beyond lightspeed were attained? Maybe not time travel so to speak, but space/time manipulation of some sort?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
abstract alien said:
Are you referring to the lightspeed/slower aging issue? I honestly forgot about that. Did he also make a statement about time travel being possible once speeds beyond lightspeed were attained? Maybe not time travel so to speak, but space/time manipulation of some sort?

Um I'm not sure. I do believe that he made it apparent that matter can not travel faster than the speed of light. I don't think anyone knows for sure what happens if you could go faster than that.

abstract alien said:

No, I think he's just suggesting that due to gravitational time dilation, you could travel pretty far (billions of lightyears) in one lifetime at 1g acceleration (Speed of Light) but when you came back, Earth (and the Sun) could be well past life expectancy as in their timeframe billions of years have passed.

Wikipedia suggests 1 year of 1g travel = 10 years of regular existence, FWIW.

The problem of hitting such speeds is the energy required, of course, which is why things like bending space-time (wormholes, "warp" engines, etc.) have at least some tenuous theoretical interest from time to time.

Crazymoogle said:
No, I think he's just suggesting that due to gravitational time dilation, you could travel pretty far (billions of lightyears) in one lifetime at 1g acceleration (Speed of Light) but when you came back, Earth (and the Sun) could be well past life expectancy as in their timeframe billions of years have passed.

Wikipedia suggests 1 year of 1g travel = 10 years of regular existence, FWIW.

The problem of hitting such speeds is the energy required, of course, which is why things like bending space-time (wormholes, "warp" engines, etc.) have at least some tenuous theoretical interest from time to time.
How could something such as a wormhole even be productive if, upon reaching the other side, light speed would still be needed to navigate? Hmmm, the wormhole could get us there, but we would be "stuck", unable to explore even a minute section of space without completely destroying our way back to the life we left behind.

*scratches head* What would an ideal situation be, if energy wasn't an issue?

RankoSD

Taiser said:
...(BTW good luck finding an energy source that can accelerate shit @ the speed of light for 100.000 years)...
You don't need to accelerate the whole time.
You only need momentum-acceleration to reach the speed of light, as soon as you reach it you can turn off that energy source and you will travel at that speed for a looong time :)

pirahna1

Did anyone happen to see the Astronomy Picture Of The Day today?

dip_cobe.gif

An image of the Cosmic Background Radiation in our atmosphere (or something like that, I didn't fully grasp the wording). The similarities to a yin/yang are eerie. What do those crazy Taoist know that we don't?

fallout

pirahna1 said:
An image of the Cosmic Background Radiation in our atmosphere. The similarities to a yin/yang are eerie. What do those crazy Taoist know that we don't?
Just to clarify that a little (while making a couple simplifications--bear with me physicists). What you're looking at is the radiation given off by galaxies. The galaxies in the red region are moving away from us (which is expected, the universe is expanding) and the ones in the blue region are moving closer to us. The fact that the ones in our direction of motion are moving faster than the relative speed of the expansion of the universe is just a little strange.

RankoSD said:
You don't need to accelerate the whole time.
You only need momentum-acceleration to reach the speed of light, as soon as you reach it you can turn off that energy source and you will travel at that speed for a looong time :)

I don't think this will ever be possible. In Star Trek, they use deflectors to move space debris, but in reality, if that were to ever happen, imagine pushing rock fragments in various directions at speeds of light. Who knows where they will hit.

Yo Space GAF... Quick question.

I noticed in the Apollo 11 photos that you can't see stars from the lunar surface in the pictures. I'm just curious if there is an explination for this, especially if it's official. No I'm not insinuating that we haven't been to the moon, I'm just curious as to what the answer is for this.

20stwuh.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
Yo Space GAF... Quick question.

I noticed in the Apollo 11 photos that you can't see stars from the lunar surface in the pictures. I'm just curious if there is an explination for this, especially if it's official.

Cause it's freaking bright out.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Ferrio said:
Cause it's freaking bright out.
:lol

Perfect answer,
because it's true.

I hope this doesn't start a conspiracy...maybe the cameras were set to lunar daylight settings

Top Bottom