• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

JNA

Banned
I'm a little curious about this Ultimate Luck ability. People in the game constantly make fun of it as the worst talent or something. Yet based on the first two games, I think Luck is probably the best talent I've seen so far lol.

You can play Russian roulette with yourself with 5/6 bullets in chamber and win. You win every rock, paper and scissors game, Makoto gets out of his execution alive, etc.

If only this talent was discovered before Despair day happened and he could have used his talent to win multiple lotteries or something. XD

Rubedo

I'm a little curious about this Ultimate Luck ability. People in the game constantly make fun of it as the worst talent or something. Yet based on the first two games, I like Luck is probably the best talent I've seen so far lol.

You can play Russian roulette with yourself with 5/6 bullets in chamber and win. You win every rock, paper and scissors game, Makoto gets out of his execution alive, etc.

If only this talent was discovered before Despair day happened and he could have used his talent to win multiple lotteries or something. XD

Because luck isn't real. The rest are actual talents you can scientifically prove. Luck isn't a real thing and is all based around coincedence.

LiK

I'm a little curious about this Ultimate Luck ability. People in the game constantly make fun of it as the worst talent or something. Yet based on the first two games, I think Luck is probably the best talent I've seen so far lol.

it's out of the person's control. Nagito suffered horrible luck in order to gain great luck. i wouldn't want this ability at all.

Moonlight

Banned

Well, as Nagito demonstrates, good luck and bad luck are entirely proportionate to each other. He has extreme good luck, but suffers extreme bad luck as a consequence. He talks about it in his FTE.
His plane was hijacked by terrorists, but he was saved by a chance meteorite that instantly killed them... and his parents. He got kidnapped by a murderer and found a winning lottery ticket in the bag he was stuffed in. He got accepted into Hope's Peak (the luckiest thing he could imagine) and just before, he'd been diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. What goes around, comes around.

You could say that Nagito is the Ultimate Lucky Student and Makoto is the Ultimate Unlucky Student and they'd fundamentally represent the same thing.

Well, as Nagito demonstrates, good luck and bad luck are entirely proportionate to each other. He has extreme good luck, but suffers extreme bad luck as a consequence. He talks about it in his FTE.
His plane was hijacked by terrorists, but he was saved by a chance meteorite that instantly killed them... and his parents. He got kidnapped by a murderer and found a winning lottery ticket in the bag he was stuffed in. He got accepted into Hope's Peak (the luckiest thing he could imagine) and just before, he'd been diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. What goes around, comes around.

You could say that Nagito is the Ultimate Lucky Student and Makoto is the Ultimate Unlucky Student and they'd fundamentally represent the same thing.

This post right here proves why I need to play island mode. Like, WHAT. Those are such juicy character backdrops, I have to check them all out for myself. I shall do this on the weekend.

JNA

Banned

db9.jpg

Well...shows how much I know lol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY, I can look at this thread....& boy, do I have a ton of pages to read. For the time being, while I recollect my thoughts (especially since it's rather late), I'll post my unspoiled Ch. 5 reactions from the OT.

Trial 5 completed.

2%28533%29.png

GOD....SON OF A DAMN.....

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2%28519%29.png

Something in the back of my mind/gut kept thinking "What if it's Chiaki?" & I didn't want to believe it. Then the game went the suicide route & my hopes were raised, only to be destroyed. ALL OF MY HATRED TOWARDS NAGITO GAAAAAAHHHHHH. & she was SO CLOSE, one chapter away of being part of the group that survived & left the island. I figured she'd be the next Kirigiri considering how much she contributed to investigating & the trial at times. Easily the most emotional chapter for me out of both games. Even worse, it wasn't even on purpose. THAT JACKASS NAGITO....

THEN THE GAME SCREWS WITH ME AGAIN. You almost because useful, Monomi...I was thinking it'd be like Ch. 5 of DR1
& escaping the execution
....but damn, her final speech....

& FOR A SECOND TIME, THE GAME MAKES ME THINK THEY SURVIVE. Just....I can't express how much this trial affect me...damn it.

Nyoro SF

Just finished. What a ride.

Luckily I maxed out Mikan and Chiaki. Both of those skills were very useful.

My favorite character was definitely Gundham. Props to his voice actor for going all out.

Niiiiice.

Also, slightly off-topic, but are you on the DR2 episode of S. Link FM, Scrafty?

Nah, unfortunately I'm gonna be sitting this one out so that people who aren't on as often can have a go, but my good pal PK Gaming's gonna be on it, and he's way more articulate than I am.

Rubedo

Nah, unfortunately I'm gonna be sitting this one out so that people who aren't on as often can have a go, but my good pal PK Gaming's gonna be on it, and he's way more articulate than I am.

Ah alright.

I was hoping there'd be someone to defend Akane if it comes up since I know Levito isn't a fan.

Yeah it's actually pretty ridiculous how many of these there are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzASOGkGYE

I like the idea of the DR crew doing Non-stop Debates about completely mundane things. SORE WA CHIGAU YO. YOU WERE THE ONE WHO DRANK THE LAST OF THE MILK AND LEFT THE CARTON IN THE FRIDGE.

Watched this one like an hour ago and I honestly laughed out loud at the end. Didn't expect that, but I suppose the title should have given it away.

MSMrRound

Does no one here enjoy Welcome to Dangan Island as much as I do?

I do! So satisfying when Monomi popped up and whooped giant Junko using that theme. I was like...fuck yeah! Taste the power of the rainbooooow~

I know some people really like Momomi's theme, but I'm definitely not one of them...especially when I heard it ever so often while grinding School Mode (DR1)/Island Mode (DR2).

Yeesh. Definitely have my fill of that theme.

I really like the execution theme of Chiaki Nanami (surprise surprise) with its 8-bit gaming sound effects. I only wish that there's a uninterrupted version of some of the parts though, especially when the Tetris part starts..

Chiaki's punishment theme: Punishment feat. Arcade Rabbit - Masafumi Takada

PK Gaming

Haha that's what I was afraid of. I mean, Chiaki is an awesome and popular character but Akane needs some respect!

Don't worry, as a mega Akane fan i'll try my best to give her some dues. She's a hella under appreciated character, so she deserves this!

Someone better be reppin' Ibuki and Sonia, or I shall be cross.

also extended conversation on how crazy nagito is pls

Ibuki and Sonia will gets lots-and-lots-and-lots of love from me!

Considering the panel, I'm pretty sure I know who 99% of the discussion will be centered on. ;P

That video is an example where 1 + 1 = 3. It's so damn good.

I'll try not talk about Chiaki too much!

Just beat it, pretty good. Although I spoiled myself on the ultimate despair by browsing this thread before release since I didn't want it originally, the hajime reveal was unexpected.

But just like last time they do a shit job on the epilogue, I'd like to see at least a little bit of the characters after they get out. I'm mean what do they look like? It's not even so much to ask for.

Also in the words of detective James carter, junko "you know, we could've been a good couple. we could've had something special. But you one crazy-ass bitch!"

Marcel

Just beat it, pretty good. Although I spoiled myself on the ultimate despair by browsing this thread before release since I didn't want it originally, the hajime reveal was unexpected.

But just like last time they do a shit job on the epilogue, I'd like to see at least a little bit of the characters after they get out. I'm mean what do they look like? It's not even so much to ask for.

The unknown factors make it more memorable. Seeing would spoil the true despair. It's always better when you can only use your imagination to describe how physically fucked up the Remnants of Despair probably are.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally read all the pages of this thread. I still want some time to let the story (& chapter 5's ending....) to sink in, but just some quick stuff/reactions as I still need to do Island Mode & get the rest of the hope fragments from about 9 other characters, plus read IF.

- Mikan's execution sucked. It didn't even seem like she died, not to mention there wasn't really a theme to match her character. Everyone else (including in DR1) had an execution that connected to their ultimate skill or whatever. Mikan was just all "TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!". At the very least, her motivation was more justified knowing she was an Ultimate Despair and she had the "Remembering Syndrome" or whatever. Speaking of which....

- While I liked the ways Monokuma motivated people in DR1 to kill each other, I think I prefer the motivations in this game for the most part (excluding ch. 3). Most of them weren't out of greed or "OH GOD I CAN ESCAPE!" which felt more interesting & added to the characters.

- NEVER, EVER RETURN, IMPROVED HANGMAN'S GAMBIT. EVER.

- I don't know why, but I feel kind of annoyed at Akane surviving. I think it's more of the deja vu of a tanned, big-boobied, not all that smart, athletic girl who's hungry all the time that manages to
survive not getting killed & doesn't try to pull a murder
(I should spoil DR1 stuff, right?). It's not even like I dislike her. Maybe it was the fact she got to survive over some of the other characters.

- While it was kind of cool seeing Junko return (& I assume we'll get some mention of her in Another), I gotta agree that with DR3, someone else can be the mastermind, even if it's one of her "followers" or whatever. Heck, run with that idea of people taking parts of her body & performing surgery to always having a part of her with them like with Nagito & having Junko's arm or Fuyuhiko having her eye.

- Monomi's speech at the end of chapter 5 was rather touching. I need to see if I can find a transcript of that. Hell, I'd say some of the stuff near the end of Ch. 6 with Chiaki was touching as well. Both of them had me thinking after I read/heard them.

- Was I the only one that felt Mechamaru's death was rather.....underwhelming? I mean, they showed his human form was able to take on a direct hit from a bazooka from Monokuma HEAD ON & managed to (barely) survive, then as a robot, barely had a scratch. But now suddenly, hitting his head on a pillar a few stories breaks not only his head but his leg as well? I mean, if it was his human form (& maybe not have him take that bazooka hit), I'd totally buy he would've died from it. But a high-tech robot made by Monokuma? I don't know, it just didn't sit right with me?

Having just finished it, I can't help but think Hajime's character moments near the end would have been so much more effective if he hadn't been a characterless blank slate for 95% of the game. The whole "reserve course" self-loathing bit was especially poorly done and unconvincing.

Rubedo

Finally read all the pages of this thread. I still want some time to let the story (& chapter 5's ending....) to sink in, but just some quick stuff/reactions as I still need to do Island Mode & get the rest of the hope fragments from about 9 other characters, plus read IF.

- Mikan's execution sucked. It didn't even seem like she died, not to mention there wasn't really a theme to match her character. Everyone else (including in DR1) had an execution that connected to their ultimate skill or whatever. Mikan was just all "TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!". At the very least, her motivation was more justified knowing she was an Ultimate Despair and she had the "Remembering Syndrome" or whatever. Speaking of which....

- While I liked the ways Monokuma motivated people in DR1 to kill each other, I think I prefer the motivations in this game for the most part (excluding ch. 3). Most of them weren't out of greed or "OH GOD I CAN ESCAPE!" which felt more interesting & added to the characters.

- NEVER, EVER RETURN, IMPROVED HANGMAN'S GAMBIT. EVER.

- I don't know why, but I feel kind of annoyed at Akane surviving. I think it's more of the deja vu of a tanned, big-boobied, not all that smart, athletic girl who's hungry all the time that manages to
survive not getting killed & doesn't try to pull a murder
(I should spoil DR1 stuff, right?). It's not even like I dislike her. Maybe it was the fact she got to survive over some of the other characters.

- While it was kind of cool seeing Junko return (& I assume we'll get some mention of her in Another), I gotta agree that with DR3, someone else can be the mastermind, even if it's one of her "followers" or whatever. Heck, run with that idea of people taking parts of her body & performing surgery to always having a part of her with them like with Nagito & having Junko's arm or Fuyuhiko having her eye.

- Monomi's speech at the end of chapter 5 was rather touching. I need to see if I can find a transcript of that. Hell, I'd say some of the stuff near the end of Ch. 6 with Chiaki was touching as well. Both of them had me thinking after I read/heard them.

- Was I the only one that felt Mechamaru's death was rather.....underwhelming? I mean, they showed his human form was able to take on a direct hit from a bazooka from Monokuma HEAD ON & managed to (barely) survive, then as a robot, barely had a scratch. But now suddenly, hitting his head on a pillar a few stories breaks not only his head but his leg as well? I mean, if it was his human form (& maybe not have him take that bazooka hit), I'd totally buy he would've died from it. But a high-tech robot made by Monokuma? I don't know, it just didn't sit right with me?

Actually Mikan's did sorta have a theme. It had to do with her love for Junko and so there were orgasms or something. I don't know. It was still stupid. In essence, it was just like shooting someone out of a cannon. Not a particularly creative execution.

sub_o

So they probably represent each side of a single coin. From the names which are anagram to each other Nagito Komaeda = Makoto Naegi da, to their characteristics (i.e. Ultimate Lucky Student).

One might say that when Makoto is having good time, Nagito is eating dirt, and vice versa ! And since Makoto becomes ultimate hope, then Nagito is the ultimate despair! So probably then in DR3 they might reveal that Makoto = Naegi's alternate being, and vice versa. Since Naegi kept saying that for hope to bloom, one must endure despair first, so for Naegi to exist, Makoto needs to exist too.

Then both of them make out with wet french kiss in the end. (or maybe even crazier stuff like the Digital Devil Saga 2 ending, who knows).

Rubedo

So they probably represent each side of a single coin. From the names which are anagram to each other Nagito Komaeda = Makoto Naegi da, to their characteristics (i.e. Ultimate Lucky Student).

One might say that when Makoto is having good time, Nagito is eating dirt, and vice versa ! And since Makoto becomes ultimate hope, then Nagito is the ultimate despair! So probably then in DR3 they might reveal that Makoto = Naegi's alternate being, and vice versa. Since Naegi kept saying that for hope to bloom, one must endure despair first, so for Naegi to exist, Makoto needs to exist too.

Then both of them make out with wet french kiss in the end. (or maybe even crazier stuff like the Digital Devil Saga 2 ending, who knows).

Soooo....Nagito is Makoto's Nobody?

What does witch burning and getting hit by a fire truck have to do with gambling?

PK Gaming

tumblr_mfvi98Rw3G1r0sck9o1_500.jpg

Believe it or not, the fact that their names are anagrams for each other is a coincidence. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I think you're looking to much into their parallels. Nagito is just an extreme or "dark" version of Makoto, there's no legitimate connection. Also, Makoto's talent is just a formality; it doesn't actually do anything.

sub_o

Soooo....Nagito is Makoto's Nobody?

Indeed, in the next Danganronpa 746/43 : Self Tested Despair, we will see how Nagito started out as Xagiton, a nobody made by XOJunk.

Then Danganronpa 3D: Dead Dead Dead will also talk more about Makoto's adventure with Riku, and uhhh 10 years later Spike Chunsoft will finally start developing Danganronpa III, along with FFXV.

Top Bottom