• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

PK Gaming

Because there is absolutely no indication of Izuru existing within him after that. Even after going Super Saiyan, he still acts just like regular Hajime. I assumed they did merge but it never really gives any indication of that which is what bugs me. Instead of saying that they merged but Hajime's good side just won over the bad for dominance, it just goes on without explanation and makes it look like Hajime just trashed the Izuru side completely. Which goes against what was supposed to happen. There should have at least been a short segment where the two personalities explicitly merge and Hajime just chooses to live with it rather than how it was portrayed.

I think you're looking at it wrong. Hajime doesn't have a good side, it didn't "win out" as you say. The Hajime you see at the end is the Hajime who accepted responsibility for his actions. Someone who has the resolve to create a new future for himself and his classmates. It's distinct from his Kamukura self (who completely lacked Hope) and his pre-Hopes Peak academy self (who lacked Despair).

Anyway, a good story treats its audience with respect and assumes that they read between the lines. I don't think that everything needed to spelled out (as it would needlessly drag the ending).

This

Hajime Hinata: But still, I’ll keep on living.
Hajime Hinata: I’ll keep on living as Hajime Hinata
Hajime Hinata: ... My future is here.

Is the only thing matters.

FluxWaveZ

But from the tiny bit you see he seems fine with absolutely no issue with having Izuru's memories merged into his. So it looks like it either wasn't actually a problem at all or they didn't actually merge.

There's not enough information shown for us to come to a conclusion either way. It's fine if you think that regaining his memories as Izuru didn't affect him profoundly, but that's not the most logical conclusion because the game doesn't give enough information. On my end, I think it's bittersweet because of the reasons I listed above—concerning their Ultimate Despair and VR memories—as well as the fact that there's no indication that their dormant friends will wake up, combined with the fact that they're stuck on an island, that the FF wants them dead and that society as a whole probably isn't too happy with them, either. Not to mention how some have to live with messed up stuff like having a non-functional Junko arm in the place of the one they were using just fine in the VR.

Much like DR1, I guess we can look at it in two ways: you could either believe that Monokuma was just lying about everything and that the world wasn't messed up, so the protagonists could return to their normal lives. Or you could believe what actually happens, in that Monokuma wasn't lying, that they had killed their friends for nothing, and that society is messed up and that's the world they wished to go back to that some killed others for.

We won't really know the truth of DR2's ending until some other game or media unveils it.

Anyway, a good story treats its audience with respect and assumes that they read infer between the lines. I don't think that everything needed to spelled out (as it would needlessly drag the ending).

I think that's what it comes down to, and that's what you seemed to have wanted, Rubedo. I don't believe that was necessary, as the implications up to that point indicated what the repercussions of the "future" Hajime and the others desired to forge were.

I honestly doubt we'll see more of the DR2 characters in any post DR2 setting. Unlike with the ones from number one, the cast this time was dealing with a completely isolated incident, and additionally they're also not heading back out into the world. I can't think of a good reason for them to return unless it's in a prequel or something

Rubedo

I think you're looking at it wrong. Hajime doesn't have a good side. It didn't "win out" as you say. The Hajime you see at the end is the Hajime who accepted responsibility for his actions. Someone who has the resolve to create a new future for himself and his classmates. It's distinct from his Kamukura self (who completely lacked Hope) and his pre-Hopes Peak academy self (who lacked Despair).

Anyway, a good story treats its audience with respect and assumes that they read infer between the lines. I don't think that everything needed to spelled out (as it would needlessly drag the ending).

This

Is the only thing matters.

So then it's not that much of a problem, right? People were saying the ending is still somewhat bitter even if the classmates come back due to the fact they still have to deal with their Despair memories. But obviously it's actually not a problem if Hajime can do it so easily. Which means the ending isn't really that bitter. That's my point. The Izuru memories apparently don't have that many drawbacks to the point that you can't really tell the difference between Sim Hajime and Real World Hajime. So if the classmates get revived, the choice had no downsides. The drawbacks were getting the memories and classmates being dead. If the classmates just come back and the memories aren't all that debilitating, the choice was actually a very white and black one and the one they chose had no downsides as opposed to the choice from the first one where there were pros and cons to whatever they chose.

Say "cheese!"

mIGYKya.png

Pyroar: Female Pyroar outnumber male ones 3 to 1, which means they usually rely on a handful of males to ensure the survival of their species. Thus, a female Pyroar both represents Mahiru's high expectations of the male students as well as her "fiery" personality and outbursts.

Blissey: It's said that whoever takes a bite out of the egg Blissey carries in its pouch is filled with unparalleled happiness and smiles uncontrollably, which would make Blissey Mahiru's ideal partner for setting up sweet photo ops. Blissey's also an all-female species, so there's that too.

Archeops: Mahiru's FTEs reveal that she's got some seeeeeerious self-confidence issues, and that she feels like her talent is useless compared to the other students'. This is reflected by Archeops' rather sucky ability, Defeatist, which causes it to turn from a hypebeast of destruction to a wimpy weakling in the blink of an eye.

Plusle: This one'll make more sense once you see Hiyoko's team, so just bear with me. On its own, Plusle represents Mahiru's Ultimate Photographer status with its ability to learn Flash, as well as its red coloration symbolizing Mahiru's status as the "Red Oni" to Hiyoko's more passive(ly aggressive) blue.

Vaporeon: This one was chosen mostly for its natural ability to learn the obscuring move Haze, similar to how Mahiru's role in the past murder case was covering up her friend's murder of Fuyuhiko's little sister, as well as its status as an evolution of Eevee representing the fact that Mahiru manages to make an impact despite being perhaps the most plain and ordinary character of DR2's cast.

Mega Kangaskhan: Believe it or not, Mahiru is represented by the mother's child in this case. Mahiru's FTEs show that she has a great admiration for her mother, the one whom she looks up to above all others and who inspired her to get into photography, similar to how the baby's Mega Evolution is triggered by its desire to aid its mother in battle. The PokeDex also describes the Mega Evolved child as being "feisty and easily exciteable," both of which apply to Ms. Koizumi.

That's all for today, folks! The usual "first to post fanart decides the next subject" rule applies, so have at it! This was actually by far the toughest PR entry I've ever had to do, simply because there aren't very many Pokemon who can adequately represent Mahiru's character without retreading old ground, so I hope you all are satisfied with my choices!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So then it's not that much of a problem, right? People were saying the ending is still somewhat bitter even if the classmates come back due to the fact they still have to deal with their Despair memories. But obviously it's actually not a problem if Hajime can do it so easily. Which means the ending isn't really that bitter. That's my point. The Izuru memories apparently don't have that many drawbacks to the point that you can't really tell the difference between Sim Hajime and Real World Hajime. So if the classmates get revived, the choice had no downsides. The drawbacks were getting the memories and classmates being dead. If the classmates just come back and the memories aren't all that debilitating, the choice was actually a very white and black one and the one they chose had no downsides as opposed to the choice from the first one where there were pros and cons to whatever they chose.

Just because Hajime has chosen to live and create a future on the island doesn't mean that he's not dealing with the crippling after effects of his despair memories. And we have no idea what condition the others are in.

Hajime lost Chiaki, who was an important part of him based on the end of Chapter 6. Their friends are brain dead vegetables that they will have to take care of day in and day out while hoping that they recover. They're stuck on an isolated set of islands, and will be forever shunned (if not outright hunted) for the atrocities that they've committed.

I wouldn't say "it's not that much of a problem". It's the happiest ending possible for them, but they're not coming out of this smelling like roses.

Bonus, now that's I've cleared DR2 and DR:IF, I can ravage the DR wiki like rabid animal! :D

Though, are there any fan translation projects for the Kyoko light novel?

Rubedo

Just because Hajime has chosen to live and create a future on the island doesn't mean that he's not dealing with the crippling after effects of his despair memories. And we have no idea what condition the others are in.

Hajime lost Chiaki, who was an important part of him based on the end of Chapter 6. Their friends are brain dead vegetables that they will have to take care of day in and day out while hoping that they recover. They're stuck on an isolated set of islands, and will be forever shunned (if not outright hunted) for the atrocities that they've committed.

I wouldn't say "it's not that much of a problem". It's the happiest ending possible for them, but they're not coming out of this smelling like roses.

From what we see he has no problem. That's the part I don't like. It is fully possible he is having problems but we get no indication of that so it paints it as a very hopeful ending in that regard. There is nothing to indicate he is having any drawbacks from getting the memories.

It's not that I hate ambiguous endings. I loved the way the first one ended. And I would have been fine with the second one ending ambiguously if it wasn't for the picture it painted. The first seemed like unbiased ambiguity while the second leaned heavily towards "happy ending".

In the first, we are very well informed of the situation. The world has ended, they've lost their memories, and their friends are dead. They can either stay safe but the world won't get better or go out into the unsafe outside world but hope to make it better. They make the choice and the game ends with them opening the door. We don't know what will become of them as soon as it opens but we do know what their choice entailed. We know what they sacrificed (safety) and what they gained (hope for a better future).

In the second, we are told the stakes. They can shutdown and go make a better future but they'll be forced to gain their old memories which are implied to supposed to fuck them up and their friends probably won't be revived. They choose that. But instead of how the first one did and make you see that the drawbacks of their decision are actually going to affect them, the second then says there is a chance the dead can be revived and goes on to show Hajime being fine after gaining the memories. Sure, it could be that he's actually having problems within but from what we are shown he is fine. And that's the difference. Even if the ending for two is bittersweet, it only shows the results of their actions that are sweet. The first, instead showed both the bad and good sides.

So that's what I don't like. It's shown in a way that conceals the bad results of the choice and only shows the good so it implies the choice resulted in a much more "good ending" whereas the first made it plain that neither decision was really good and that they were just going to have to deal with the shit hand they were dealt. The fact that the option for the dead classmates to come back is even on the table just takes yet another drawback from their choice away.

Meia

Actually, I kind of get the idea that the first one ended on a note of "something just beginning", but in the second one it's more of a "This is the end for them" note. Just like every person is different, everyone on that island will probably react a different way to everything, which is why it's left very ambiguous in that we don't see anyone else but Hajime(and only from behind).

It's as happy of a note as they were going to be left at, and that's probably it. If we see any more/hear any more from them, I doubt it's going to be positive(can see a scenario where the FF get them and eliminate them, shocking Makoto when he finds this out during a future game), so I'm not sure I *want* to see more of them...

Steel

Banned
Because there is absolutely no indication of Izuru existing within him after that. Even after going Super Saiyan, he still acts just like regular Hajime. I assumed they did merge but it never really gives any indication of that which is what bugs me. Instead of saying that they merged but Hajime's good side just won over the bad for dominance, it just goes on without explanation and makes it look like Hajime just trashed the Izuru side completely. Which goes against what was supposed to happen. There should have at least been a short segment where the two personalities explicitly merge and Hajime just chooses to live with it rather than how it was portrayed.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of how they portrayed it either. They had a real opportunity before Hajime goes super to have a class trial face off between Hajime and Izuru discussing the specifics of what he's done as an ultimate despair, with Chiaki helping him through one last time. The pool of evidence used by both sides could have been all the experiences Hajime accumulated on the island vs all of Izuru's experience. Instead we just got Hajime shooting Future a bunch of times. I liked the ending and all, but I can definitely see the weakness here.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure I'm a fan of how they portrayed it either. They had a real opportunity before Hajime goes super to have a class trial face off between Hajime and Izuru discussing the specifics of what he's done as an ultimate despair, with Chiaki helping him through one last time. The pool of evidence used by both sides could have been all the experiences Hajime accumulated on the island vs all of Izuru's experience. Instead we just got Hajime shooting Future a bunch of times. I liked the ending and all, but I can definitely see the weakness here.

I will agree that I wasn't too into the ending sequence specifically. I like your idea of the face off with Izuru; that would have been neat. I preferred shooting "Hope" in the first game to shooting "Future" here; I felt it made more sense in the context.

The Chiaki pep talk fell flat to me a bit because I was always thinking "but what if it goes wrong"? There was no guarantee Hajime was going to maintain his VR memories, yet they were clinging to "future" as though it would. Hajime going super as a result didn't feel as empowering as Naegi being recognized as the "Ultimate Hope", to me.

Still, I maintain that the ending itself wasn't an unabashedly happy one.

Rubedo

I will agree that I wasn't too into the ending sequence specifically. I like your idea of the face off with Izuru; that would have been neat. I preferred shooting "Hope" in the first game to shooting "Future" here; I felt it made more sense in the context.

The Chiaki pep talk fell flat to me a bit because I was always thinking "but what if it goes wrong"? There was no guarantee Hajime was going to maintain his VR memories, yet they were clinging to "future" as though it would. Hajime going super as a result didn't feel as empowering as Naegi being recognized as the "Ultimate Hope", to me.

Still, I maintain that the ending itself wasn't an unabashedly happy one.

Yeah the Chiaki talk was odd to me. I was like "...you realize you're trying to convince him to completely give up the version of himself you knew and replace ot with Izuru's memories, right?" But somehow that's not what happened. It doesn't really say what the fuck happened. It was weird.

Zephyx

I liked the ending of DR2. It's tragic yet satisfying at the same time for the game's cast. Though most are correct that they left it open to interpretation as to what happened to the characters, most of them will be facing a reality that they (1) murdered people for the sake of despair, (2) damaged themselves physically that they may possibly not have normal body functions, (3) see their friends possibly not waking up from their brain dead state or waking up in a very confusing scenario, (4) live in an island secluded from the other people possibly forever and (5) live in fear that they are globally hated and may be killed at any point in time. It's a good ending if you interpret that they survived and all without the consequences of the situation they are in.

I wouldn't have minded the trial sequence you mentioned since its a cool idea but the Future sequence where you shoot those bullets made me believe that for Hajime, he has the choice and power to create the future he wants, He may have thought that what he did as Izuru cannot be changed but he has to move on and create the future he wants as Hajime Hinata, whatever people may say. It fits as a closure for his inner conflict, imo.

Rubedo

I wouldn't have minded the trial sequence you mentioned since its a cool idea but the Future sequence where you shoot those bullets made me believe that for Hajime, he has the choice and power to create the future he wants, He may have thought that what he did as Izuru cannot be changed but he has to move on and create the future he wants as Hajime Hinata, whatever people may say. It fits as a closure for his inner conflict, imo.

They could have done both the Izuru face off and the Future bullet thing. The Izuru face off would have been good for showing exactly how the memory/personality merging was going to go down. Because as it turns out you have Junko saying the Izuru personality being dominant and then Hajime just being like "fuck you" and the the next thing you see Hajime looks normal and monologues as if Izuru doesn't have any influence. So it's very uninformative as it is.

Zephyx

They could have done both the Izuru face off and the Future bullet thing. The Izuru face off would have been good for showing exactly how the memory/personality merging was going to go down. Because as it turns out you have Junko saying the Izuru personality being dominant and then Hajime just being like "fuck you" and the the next thing you see Hajime looks normal and monologues as if Izuru doesn't have any influence. So it's very uninformative as it is.

A rebuttal showdown would have been perfect for that situation. And yeah, it would be nice to have that explanation but unfortunately, we didn't get it. Yes, it's uninformative, but I really don't mind it for this situation since that ending raised more intriguing questions. At this point, I'm more interested on how the NWP works and how it worked during that shutdown phase (not exactly the merging thing).

Also, now that I've beaten the game, I must say that I do not understand all the hype for Nagito. They way people talked about him made me think he'd be super important, or at least cool/interesting, and he was neither of those things IMO.

Well, it was at least a bit intriguing to see someone actively working against everyone, but besides that, I thought he was super dull, and I was glad when he "died". (Though I guess he and his Junko arm will be back eventually.) They should leave him for last when the reviving begins, or maybe just forget and sail away.

FluxWaveZ

Also, now that I've beaten the game, I must say that I do not understand all the hype for Nagito. They way people talked about him made me think he'd be super important, or at least cool/interesting, and he was neither of those things IMO.

You are undoubtedly in the very small minority on that. Dude is the best character in the game for me, and probably the best new character I've seen this year.

You are undoubtedly in the very small minority on that. Dude is the best character in the game for me, and probably the best new character I've seen this year.
May I ask why you like him so much? I honestly would like to know what people find appealing about him.

Because he was crazy? (Because he was.) Because he was so obvious in his sabotage attempts? That he held no value for human life? These reasons sound snippy, but they are his most defining characteristics to me.

FluxWaveZ

May I ask why you like him so much? I honestly would like to know what people find appealing about him.

I'm probably too tired to make a proper response as I otherwise would, but it's probably everything about him. For one, the guy looks awesome, to his jacket to his hair to his poses.

I love how he is a subversion on the desire for "hope" of the first game. He demonstrates how it's not a black and white issue of "hope vs. despair", but that hope can corrupt just as much, and how Nagito is basically a blatant subversion of Makoto Naegi in that way.

I like characters who know what they're doing at all times and have more going on in their head than it appears. Nagito isn't an idiot, even though he likes to put himself down before learning the truth. When he dies, the other characters even talk about how whoever killed him must be someone crazy to face off against, given the fact that they killed Nagito, of all people.

I like how he trusts in his talent, and how it was designed to actually be a true talent, although somewhat supernatural. Unlike Makoto, he really is the "Ultimate Lucky Student", and it's fantastic how that is basically an enabler for greater moments, like the Russian Roulette leading to the Octagon.

He is a greater antagonist than Junko, and is just a great antagonist period. His presence is constantly menacing, and you know that there's much more going on behind his "friendly" smiles. He isn't scared of doing crazy crap to achieve his goals, including an open invitation to get himself murdered by someone. I like how he will constantly mess with everyone else, the climax of that being the bomb situation leading to his "suicide." He was in control at all times, yet that didn't even mean that he had to be fought against at all times because sometimes he was on the side of the good guys, but his position was often extremely nebulous.

Best and most complex written character in the game.

That he held no value for human life?

This isn't really true, since he valued the lives of the Ultimates greatly. When he learned the truth, he valued the life of the traitor greatly. He even starts to value his life a bit after Byakuya sacrifices himself for him (like Nagito says himself), and he values it even more once he learns the truth (so that he could execute his plan, as it turns out).

kewlmyc

I'm probably too tired to make a proper response as I otherwise would, but it's probably everything about him. For one, the guy looks awesome, to his jacket to his hair to his poses.

I love how he is a subversion on the desire for "hope" of the first game. He demonstrates how it's not a black and white issue of "hope vs. despair", but that hope can corrupt just as much, and how Nagito is basically a blatant subversion of Makoto Naegi in that way.

I like characters who know what they're doing at all times and have more going on in their head than it appears. Nagito isn't an idiot, even though he likes to put himself down before learning the truth. When he dies, the other characters even talk about how whoever killed him must be someone crazy to face off against, given the fact that they killed Nagito, of all people.

I like how he trusts in his talent, and how it was designed to actually be a true talent, although somewhat supernatural. Unlike Makoto, he really is the "Ultimate Lucky Student", and it's fantastic how that is basically an enabler for greater moments, like the Russian Roulette leading to the Octagon.

He is a greater antagonist than Junko, and is just a great antagonist period. His presence is constantly menacing, and you know that there's much more going on behind his "friendly" smiles. He isn't scared of doing crazy crap to achieve his goals, including an open invitation to get himself murdered by someone. I like how he will constantly mess with everyone else, the climax of that being the bomb situation leading to his "suicide." He was in control at all times, yet that didn't even mean that he had to be fought against at all times because sometimes he was on the side of the good guys, but his position was often extremely nebulous.

Pretty much all of this is why he's my favorite character. Unlike the first game where the villain only really revealed themselves in the last chapter, you have the entire game to butt heads with Komaeda and try to get to know him. And even after completing his FTE, you barely know much about the real him. He's a character shrouded in mystery for the most part, despite being in a majority of the game. You're not sure if he's on your side or not, and even when he helps you in the trials, there's something off about the whole thing, like he's planning something (which he is). I like mystery novels and the reason why I like Komaeda so much is because I never seen a character like him in a mystery before. Someone willing to throw away their life just to make the crime more interesting.

Steel

Banned

Because he was crazy? (Because he was.) Because he was so obvious in his sabotage attempts? That he held no value for human life? These reasons sound snippy, but they are his most defining characteristics to me.

Personally I spent most the game thinking he was Makoto gone nuts because of the outside world.

But in the end it's his odd personality traits and consistency of character that makes him interesting. His view of hope and warped logic were intriguing and contrasted well with the previous game. Even though he obviously knew the whole time that he was the smartest guy in the room, he still worships the others and views himself as worthless. He simultaneously acts as a villain and a helper till chapter 5. He's honestly the best antagonist of the year, in my opinion.

This isn't really true, since he valued the lives of the Ultimates greatly. When he learned the truth, he valued the life of the traitor greatly. He even starts to value his life a bit after Byakuya sacrifices himself for him (like Nagito says himself), and he values it even more once he learns the truth (so that he could execute his plan, as it turns out).
I see your points, but I don't think any of that makes him particularly interesting personally.

He was a delusional man that wavered between contempt and complacency. He kept wanting to be a "step ladder", but it took him five chapters to put his money where his mouth was. His constant taunting and lording over everyone else reminded me of annoying sub-bosses in RPGs that just can't stay dead. And in the end, that's all he was, a sub-boss.

Maybe if he turned out to be the mastermind, I would of felt differently, but to me, he almost always felt like a diversion from the real plot. Like everything had to be put on hold so Nagito could monologue for 15 minutes, almost always ending in the same result, him chickening out.

His actual murder set up in Chapter 5 was alright, but I felt like any shock that would of had wore off long ago. I was like "Oh, so he finally did it. Welp."

I won't deny that he was a unique character, and he did add something different to the game, but that "something" to me was just tedious padding. I know he's quite popular in Japan, but I wonder just what his reception will be in North America. (Though I'm used to not holding the "popular" opinion, so it won't surprise me if he's well liked here too.)

I think he valued the idea of the Ultimates, not who they were specifically. I wouldn't call any of his actions as something in line with him valuing the lives of his fellow students. As soon as he learned about Hajime being a Reserve Course, he might as well of been roadkill in his eyes. All he valued was what they supposedly stood for, not who they actually were.

And when he finally starts to see his own value (in Chapter 4), he then kills himself shortly after, which I felt was really bizarre. I would of liked it better if he used his new found contempt for the others to actually try and survive. That would of made his murder more interesting. Just when he wants to live, he gets killed. (Though of course that would require Chapter 5 to be radically different.)

Mendrox

Completed the game yesterday. Last trial was like a last anime episode on steriods - too epic.

But now I am quiet sad that the Danganronpa is over till Another Episode (but I think that we will surely get an english release, these games sell good enough).

Oh and I hated that my waifu died for real (Chiaki). Nagito was nuts and I couldnt get attached to some characters because they died to fast. Could be because I only needed 20 hours for the game, but I am also a fast reader. :eek:

GOTY for me so far. :)

for the pokeronpa...

MirngtH.jpg

(source)

let's count this toward akane because art of her is really hard to find
Mwahaha.

Also, I enjoy that they left Nekomaru's sexuality ambiguous. He has implied dialogue with both Teruteru and Hajime, plus Ibuki teases Hajime about wanting to see his fellow classmates in yukatas, and Nekomaru is the only male included in this. (And he is specifically mentioned.)

petghost

Banned
nagito is ok. i liked where they went with him development wise IE the fact that he obtained some knowledge which the others didnt have access to that caused his one note personality to do a 180. that aspect of the story was very interesting and made him a much more interesting, fleshed out character. i guess what made it sweeter was that you saw the most naively hopeful person become sullen and despondent.

his arc was interesting but his motivations/hope schpiels etc were imo kind of silly.

bobawesome

It probably would've been best if you went in with lower expectations. After beating the first game I checked out of the OT when everyone started talking about the characters in the second game. Nagito is one of the most interesting characters for me just because of the implementation of his ultimate ability and how warped his values are.

Gundham was the one who did nothing to me. Should've been the first victim/killer.
I was quite sick of the whole chuunibyou act from the beginning. Felt like a dollar store Hououin Kyouma knock-off to me.

Rubedo

So why does Sonia keep referring to Genocide Jack as a "she" in the Library? Didn't the public assume it was a guy? Makoto and the others seemed surprised it was a girl.

LiK

I honestly doubt we'll see more of the DR2 characters in any post DR2 setting. Unlike with the ones from number one, the cast this time was dealing with a completely isolated incident, and additionally they're also not heading back out into the world. I can't think of a good reason for them to return unless it's in a prequel or something

I think Hajime would return as a supporting character. Altho I would love to see Hina return. The cutest sexiest gal needs to be back!

OceanBlue

At most I'd assume they'd make cameo appearances. Hajime is most likely to reappear, but they'd need a pretty good reason to take him off the island. Plus, he's basically Ultimate Talent now lol.

I think he valued the idea of the Ultimates, not who they were specifically. I wouldn't call any of his actions as something in line with him valuing the lives of his fellow students. As soon as he learned about Hajime being a Reserve Course, he might as well of been roadkill in his eyes. All he valued was what they supposedly stood for, not who they actually were.

And when he finally starts to see his own value (in Chapter 4), he then kills himself shortly after, which I felt was really bizarre. I would of liked it better if he used his new found contempt for the others to actually try and survive. That would of made his murder more interesting. Just when he wants to live, he gets killed. (Though of course that would require Chapter 5 to be radically different.)

Nagito didn't feel contempt for the others in Chapter 4 because he started seeing his own value. He realized everyone was Ultimate Despair, including himself. Most likely, he hated his pre-amnesiac self as well and would rather have everyone except for the traitor die.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

His crazy works. It has a coherent logic and the chapter 4 twists shows how he sticks with that mindset when presented with game changing information. Warping the traits of Makoto into something perverse also really worked for me and other than that he's one of the few characters in both games that actually does something with his talent.

So why does Sonia keep referring to Genocide Jack as a "she" in the Library? Didn't the public assume it was a guy? Makoto and the others seemed surprised it was a girl.

Maybe it could be a case of remembering something from the Tragedy? Because Sonia (and everyone else) would've known that Genocide Jack was actually Toko Fukawa during the Tragedy.

I know that's probably not the case and NISA messed up, but if their memories hadn't have been wiped they would've known she was actually Genocide Jack.

mothball

I don't think NISA messed it up. I can't find any Japanese playthroughs because they won't play past the first chapter, but I found a Chinese one and it mentions her being a girl (and the whole bit about "do you know how many schoolgirls wear a sailor uniform") as well.

neshcom

Banned
Is this the basic timeline of events? I'm getting tripped up on which cast was accepted when.

School shooting with original Izuru >> school tragedy with the Reserve Dept. revolt >> DR1 class accepted >> DR2 class accepted >> Izuru experiment on Hajime >> Junko takes over Hopes Peak >> DR2 class becomes Ultimate Despairs, escapes >> Worst tragedy to mankind >> DR1 class holes up in school >> DR1 game >> Makoto's division of Future Foundation rounds up DR2 cast >> DR2 game

Is that about right?

antibolo

Banned

Another Episode is taking place between 1 and 2, and I think some 2 characters do show up.

Moonlight

Banned
As long as I never hear about DR2's cast again, I can pretend everyone woke up and hashed out their differences and everything is OK forever.

Is this the basic timeline of events? I'm getting tripped up on which cast was accepted when.

School shooting with original Izuru >> school tragedy with the Reserve Dept. revolt >> DR1 class accepted >> DR2 class accepted >> Izuru experiment on Hajime >> Junko takes over Hopes Peak >> DR2 class becomes Ultimate Despairs, escapes >> Worst tragedy to mankind >> DR1 class holes up in school >> DR1 game >> Makoto's division of Future Foundation rounds up DR2 cast >> DR2 game

Is that about right?

For comparison, someone tried to hash out a timeline here.

FluxWaveZ

For comparison, someone tried to hash out a timeline here.

Hm, looking at that, I still can't see the answer for the question I asked before:
Off-topic, but can anyone remind me why Junko was in Hope's Peak with the DR1 crew during the Killing School Life? When they locked themselves in to avoid the crazy shit of the outside world, they must have fully known that Junko was the Ultimate Despair, right? Then was Junko hiding in that building or something when they barricaded themselves in?
If Junko was doing crazy stuff during years 3 and 4, how was she in a position to incapacitate the DR students during year 5 from within the building after it had been locked down to avoid the Ultimate Despair?

Wichu

Is that about right?

Not quite. There wasn't a 'school shooting with original Izuru'; the original Izuru Kamukura was the founder of the academy and has nothing to do with anything that follows.

IIRC the DR2 class is actually a year older than the DR1 class. I'm not sure whether Hajime became Izuru before or after the DR1 class was accepted; the Tragedy of Hope's Peak (what I assume you meant by the shooting) happened after Junko converts Izuru and the others to despair. This kickstarts the general Tragedy. Junko only takes over the school after the Tragedy, once the DR1 class has holed themselves up. I think you have it right after that.

EDIT: I assume Junko was manipulating from behind the scenes, so only Ultimate Despair knew her true identity?

Hm, looking at that, I still can't see the answer for the question I asked before:

If Junko was doing crazy stuff during years 3 and 4, how was she in a position to incapacitate the DR students during year 5 from within the building after it had been locked down to avoid the Ultimate Despair?

Actually, the cast probably didn't know. Izuru was probably the face of the tragedy to the public until the events of DR1. Anyone that knew of Junko's involvement had already been killed by the time the school shut down.

I think some of this is implied in DR0.

PK Gaming

5-003-photo.png

She was a part of the group of students that barricaded themselves inside Hopes Peak during the 4th year. This is supported by the fact that when Makoto watches the student interviews (declaring that they stay in Hopes Peak forever) the video mysteriously cuts out before Junko is shown.

Junko: We spent our first year here living a peaceful school life full of Hope! It was the worst school life ever!

Junko: That said, it did not last long. Peace only lasted a single year.

After an unspecified period of time, Junko and Mukuro went to work. They killed Jin Kirigiri and incapacitated the DR students to set up the second killing game.

Top Bottom