• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

FluxWaveZ

She was a part of the group of students that barricaded themselves inside Hopes Peak during the 4th year. This is supported by the fact that when Makoto watches the student interviews (declaring that they stay in Hopes Peak forever) the video mysteriously cuts out before Junko is shown.

That's the thing though: why did they barricade themselves in Hope's Peak? To avoid the Ultimate Despair, which = Junko. They wouldn't be closing themselves in the building with Junko, even if she was a fellow student, knowing that she was the cause behind it all.

Actually, the cast probably didn't know. Izuru was probably the face of the tragedy to the public until the events of DR1. Anyone that knew of Junko's involvement had already been killed by the time the school shut down.

I think some of this is implied in DR0.

If she was in the shadows manipulating everything, it makes much more sense, sure. It's kind of hard to think she'd convince thousands of students to kill themselves for her and a bunch of other crazy stuff without it being openly known, but alright.

If Junko was doing crazy stuff during years 3 and 4, how was she in a position to incapacitate the DR students during year 5 from within the building after it had been locked down to avoid the Ultimate Despair?

Because nobody knew for certain that she was doing said crazy stuff. They suspected her as mentioned in Zero, but nobody had proof of anything she had done so it's not like they could do something to her.

PK Gaming

That's the thing though: why did they barricade themselves in Hope's Peak? To avoid the Ultimate Despair, which = Junko. They wouldn't be closing themselves in the building with Junko, even if she was a fellow student, knowing that she was the cause behind it all.

I don't think anyone was aware of the fact that Junko = Ultimate Despair. The Hopes Peak staff were very much aware of the fact that the Ultimate Despair had infiltrated Hopes Peak AND that Mukuro was a part of it, but there's nothing that proves that they were aware of the fact that Junko was the mastermind.

If she was in the shadows manipulating everything, it makes much more sense, sure. It's kind of hard to think she'd convince thousands of students to kill themselves for her and a bunch of other crazy stuff without it being openly known, but alright.

It makes about as much sense as a teenage girl causing the apocalypse with an ideology. Supposedly, she exerted influence over powerful and influential parties, so she could have used them asa proxy.

Yeah you should read 0. It's not THAT important but it shows a couple of details.

Also, it has what I consider one of the most fucked up scenes in the series.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah you should read 0. It's not THAT important but it shows a couple of details.

Also, it has what I consider one of the most fucked up scenes in the series.

I was about to read IF, but then it stated that it references characters from DR0, so I didn't. It would be cool if we got an official translation of the light novel, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen, so I might as well jump in.

Eh, the only 0 reference in If is an offhand mention of a character from 0 that you'll be absolutely sure to guess what he's responsible for from the moment it's said what his ability is anyways.

antibolo

Banned
So was anybody else really glad when they chained up Nagito in chapter 2?

One of my pet peeves about the original game was how they all seemed perfectly OK with cohabiting with a FREAKING SERIAL KILLER after the Genocider reveal. I didn't understand why they didn't just lock down her room and never let her get out, taking turns bringing her food so she wouldn't die.

As soon as Nagito's craziness was revealed in the chapter 1 trial I was immediately rolling my eyes thinking "oh no, not again", but then my expectations were shattered as they actually did chain him up right after the trial.

They did let him free once he started showing up his usefulness, but the fact that they correctly responded to the threat like normal human beings would do was very refreshing.

One of my pet peeves about the original game was how they all seemed perfectly OK with cohabiting with a FREAKING SERIAL KILLER after the Genocider reveal. I didn't understand why they didn't just lock down her room and never let her get out, taking turns bringing her food so she wouldn't die.

As soon as Nagito's craziness was revealed in the chapter 1 trial I was immediately rolling my eyes thinking "oh no, not again", but then my expectations were shattered as they actually did chain him up right after the trial.

They did let him free once he started showing up his usefulness, but the fact that they correctly responded to the threat like normal human beings would do was very refreshing.

I think it was a good idea but it didn't seem unanimous within the group. It was more like Soda freaking out and somehow convincing Nekomaru to help him. Unless they decided that Hinata was too buddy buddy with him to not let him onto the plan.

It was a good idea to neutralize someone who was a threat in the last class trial. Though I imagine for Toko, they probably saw that Jill wasn't really a threat to them anymore especially if all she had eyes and scissors for was Togami. (And hell, I'm sure they would have been completely ok with that)

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I loved it. It's the first thing I was thinking about concerning the group dynamic with Nagito after chapter 1 went down, and I'm glad they actually did it, because it'd be far more unrealistic to go on as if Nagito wasn't ready to kill any of them at any point. I'm also glad that, after chapter 2, they decide to ease up on him a bit because he doesn't seem to be an active threat anymore, which ends up being a grave mistake once he flips out and chapter 5 happens.

I didn't think much of the Genocide Jill situation since that one was a bit peculiar, with it being related to Toko—who's "innocent"—as well as the fact that Genocide Jill wouldn't stray from her standard method of killing, which would make it obvious to everyone if she had committed a murder.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Had a facepalm moment today. Do you think that Teruteru's name and the way he murders Byakuya (Ultimate Imposter, w/e) is a reference to the Tell-tale Heart? Not sure if it's a stretch or so obvious that I missed it the first time round.

Rubedo

Had a facepalm moment today. Do you think that Teruteru's name and the way he murders Byakuya (Ultimate Imposter, w/e) is a reference to the Tell-tale Heart? Not sure if it's a stretch or so obvious that I missed it the first time round.

Wow. I didn't think of it before but it's possible. Teruteru sounds like a Engrish pronunciation of Tell-Tale and there is the whole floorboards thing. Hmm...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mind = blown. It seems plausible. I don't know much about it, but I do know it involves something about something underneath the floorboards and a murder.

Nyoro SF

Brainexplode.gif

That would make a lot of sense.

Kind of wish that there was a comprehensive list of references for both games.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Mind = blown. It seems plausible. I don't know much about it, but I do know it involves something about something underneath the floorboards and a murder.

Dude murders his elderly roomate, dismembers body and hides it under floorboards. Cops come round, investigate, find nothing, but murderdude can't stop hearing the old man's heart beating beneath the floorboards. Thinking the cops can hear it too, goes insane w/ guilt, tears up the floorboards and reveals his role in the murder.

It's kiiiiiind of a stretch, but it's too close to be a coincidence, right?

Dude murders his elderly roomate, dismembers body and hides it under floorboards. Cops come round, investigate, find nothing, but murderdude can't stop hearing the old man's heart beating beneath the floorboards. Thinking the cops can hear it too, goes insane w/ guilt, tears up the floorboards and reveals his role in the murder.

It's kiiiiiind of a stretch, but it's too close to be a coincidence, right?

It definitely sounds like it could have been used as the base idea for the murder. The idea with the floorboards and Teruteru's voice coming from the floorboards. It's a nifty inversion.

Rubedo

It definitely sounds like it could have been used as the base idea for the murder. The idea with the floorboards and Teruteru's voice coming from the floorboards. It's a nifty inversion.

Yeah it sounds more like a reference to it but it's not a full rip-off of that murder.

Wow, Teruteru=Tell Tale is pretty clever if intentional. This is interesting, because it really could be either a stretch or something that should have been obvious. Don't see those too often.

What time is it? BEST GIRL TIME!

waEEQPU.png

Munchlax: Munchlax is said to eat its own weight in food every day, and I'm sure you can all see how that applies to Akane. It's also my third-favourite Pokemon ever, so the best girl deserves the best Pokemon!

Infernape: Aside from being spunky and ill-tempered, Infernape also shares Akane's acrobatic nature, improvised fighting style and never-back-down passion.

Hitmontop: As you can see by it sporting a similar pose to Akane's official art, Hitmontop and Best Girl share a preferred fighting approach, which is to say they both just go ham and clobber the opponent to death with their extremities. Also, they're both pretty silly at times.

Mandibuzz: This beastly buzzard is meant to reflect Akane's burning will to survive no matter what, as well as the dark depths she'll go to in order to ensure her continued existence. It also sort of represents the life of squalor she experienced in her youth, and the less-than-nice things she had to do to get by.

Mamoswine: Two of Mamoswine's abilities are Oblivious and Thick Fat, which I think perfectly represents Akane's thickheadedness and assets. It's also crazy strong, which means it'd be right at home alongside someone who enjoys a good fight.

Mega Lopunny: As you may have noticed, Akane's team is mostly comprised of Fighting-types, so it's only natural that her Mega be part-fighting as well. I chose Mega Lopunny is specific to represent her stature and kicking prowess, as well as for its ability, Scrappy. As revealed in Akane's fourth FTE, she is deathly afraid of ghosts, so it's only natural that she'd keep around a Pokemon that could smash through them with ease while taking no damage from them, which I imagine would help her overcome her fear in a way.

That's all for today, folks! The usual "fanart dibs" rule is in play, so get to it! And remember, feedback of any variety is greatly appreciated.

Rubedo

What time is it? BEST GIRL TIME!

waEEQPU.png

Munchlax: Munchlax is said to eat its own weight in food every day, and I'm sure you can all see how that applies to Akane. It's also my third-favourite Pokemon ever, so the best girl deserves the best Pokemon!

Infernape: Aside from being spunky and ill-tempered, Infernape also shares Akane's acrobatic nature, improvised fighting style and never-back-down passion.

Hitmontop: As you can see by it sporting a similar pose to Akane's official art, Hitmontop and Best Girl share a preferred fighting approach, which is to say they both just go ham and clobber the opponent to death with their extremities. Also, they're both pretty silly at times.

Mandibuzz: This beastly buzzard is meant to reflect Akane's burning will to survive no matter what, as well as the dark depths she'll go to in order to ensure her continued existence. It also sort of represents the life of squalor she experienced in her youth, and the less-than-nice things she had to do to get by.

Mamoswine: Two of Mamoswine's abilities are Oblivious and Thick Fat, which I think perfectly represents Akane's thickheadedness and assets. It's also crazy strong, which means it'd be right at home alongside someone who enjoys a good fight.

Mega Lopunny: As you may have noticed, Akane's team is mostly comprised of Fighting-types, so it's only natural that her Mega be part-fighting as well. I chose Mega Lopunny is specific to represent her stature and kicking prowess, as well as for its ability, Scrappy. As revealed in Akane's fourth FTE, she is deathly afraid of ghosts, so it's only natural that she'd keep around a Pokemon that could smash through them with ease while taking no damage from them, which I imagine would help her overcome her fear in a way.

That's all for today, folks! The usual "fanart dibs" rule is in play, so get to it! And remember, feedback of any variety is greatly appreciated.

Awesome. 10/10 for reviving the thread.

12/10 for calling Akane best girl.

Moonlight

Banned
Nice choices as usual, Scrafty! Lopunny's a great choice for her Mega. Similar colouring, too. :p

I just realized that we've had a glaring omission in terms of characters so far, so here's some of that art you asked for.

Took me a bit long to dig up art for Akane.
cuz she's the wooooooooooooooooooooorst

Anyways, gonna nominate Nagito. I've got big hopes for what you could come up with!

Weiss

Banned
Man I still don't get how the tragedy actually occurred. I get that Junko was batty, but how did she straight up cause the apocalypse?

Rubedo

Man I still don't get how the tragedy actually occurred. I get that Junko was batty, but how did she straight up cause the apocalypse?

Well it's a combination of a lot of things. For one there was a giant chain reaction if uprisings. Also, I'm sure she had a few high up connections that had more influence and could cause stuff to go down. I also suspect Mukuro used her ties to Fenrir somehow to make them sabotage governments and help trigger anarchist revolts to weaken the governments to the point they couldn't stop anything.

You're a swell guy and that's some mighty fine art, so I'm going to overlook the insults to Best Girl.

Oh man, I was waiting for someone to ask for Nagito. I've been planning his team out from the first entry just in case.

Forgive them for their insult. They know not what they say.

Zephyx

We don't even know the current state of the world after the tragedy. Our first look will be in AE which may or may not be representative of every location in the world. Hoping it gets explored in the spin-off or the possible sequel.

Nagito didn't feel contempt for the others in Chapter 4 because he started seeing his own value. He realized everyone was Ultimate Despair, including himself. Most likely, he hated his pre-amnesiac self as well and would rather have everyone except for the traitor die.
I guess that makes sense, though that just further indicates that his previous self, before knowing he was Ultimate Despair, was just all talk. This also supports the fact that he doesn't value the lives of his classmates. When he thought they were all beacons of hope, we wanted to protect the idea of them (by killing some of them), and when he found out they were Ultimate Despair, he wanted to kill them all. It was always about what they theoretically stood for, not who they actually were as people.

Anyway, still don't care for him. I'm glad he was in the game, but I'd definitely situate him somewhere near the bottom of the heap.

It probably would've been best if you went in with lower expectations. After beating the first game I checked out of the OT when everyone started talking about the characters in the second game. Nagito is one of the most interesting characters for me just because of the implementation of his ultimate ability and how warped his values are.
I didn't have any personal expectations for him, I just knew he was popular and wondered why.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
There's a new Ultimate Lucky Student every school year.

That seems dumb, just kinda delegimizes the whole thing, there's dozens of Ultimate Lucky Students, it should be one every X number of years.

LX_Theo

Banned
That seems dumb, just kinda delegimizes the whole thing, there's dozens of Ultimate Lucky Students, it should be one every X number of years.
The point of the ULS is to research luck. Why would they care about how "legitimate" the title is? It's not like many (even the school board) took it all that seriously to begin with.

It was basically a raffle for one normal student to join as an Ultimate.

You had to be lucky to get selected!

Wazzy

Banned
I just beat the game.

Just...what. So many twists. I can't. This game. I'm starting to think I like it better than 1.

Acid08

Banned
I just beat the game.

Just...what. So many twists. I can't. This game. I'm starting to think I like it better than 1.

omg finally

overall I think it's definitely better than 1. Although I think the best of 1 stands with the best of 2.

Maybe. They could of chosen a new one when the current one graduates. Though it's obvious that Makoto's form of luck, and Nagito's, are totally different.

Makoto actually found his path through his supreme brand of unluckiness, while Nagito actually had a bizarre form of control over the phenomenon.

Wazzy

Banned
omg finally

overall I think it's definitely better than 1. Although I think the best of 1 stands with the best of 2.

It only took me 3 days. ; ;

I agree. But man the twists in this game are just...wow. The big reveal had me stunned and I actually had to put my vita down to have a moment.

Also fuck this series for killing my favourites and leaving two annoying characters everytime. :mad:

Favourite characters were: Gundham, Sonia, Hajime, Nekomaru, Chiaki, Peko and Fuyo.

It only took me 3 days. ; ;

I agree. But man the twists in this game are just...wow. The big reveal had me stunned and I actually had to put my vita down to have a moment.

Also fuck this series for killing my favourites and leaving two annoying characters everytime. :mad:

Favourite characters were: Gundham, Sonia, Hajime, Nekomaru, Chiaki, Peko and Fuyo.
Besides Fuyo, I totally agree with your pics.

But they are all still alive! The ending was filled with hope. Unlike DR1, where we'll never see Taka and Mondo again... ;_;

Wazzy

Banned
Besides Fuyo, I totally agree with your pics.

But they are all still alive! The ending was filled with hope. Unlike DR1, where we'll never see Taka and Mondo again... ;_;

But Fuyo had that crying scene and when he finally became good D':

But yeah I'm still catching feelings over the loss of Taka. His broship with Mondo was just...</3

I also really liked Sonia/Gundham. They were super cute and kazuichi can suck it.

Rubedo

Maybe. They could of chosen a new one when the current one graduates. Though it's obvious that Makoto's form of luck, and Nagito's, are totally different.

Makoto actually found his path through his supreme brand of unluckiness, while Nagito actually had a bizarre form of control over the phenomenon.

Nagito can't actually control it. He just has absolute faith it will work and make what he wants to happen actually happen.

Tizoc

When you think about, Nagito's death and his talent in Ch. 5 is total mindfuck and despair inducing.

There's a new Ultimate Lucky Student every school year.

Oooooooooooooooooooh that makes sense heh.

So does this make Hajime the Ultimate Hope now?

I'm curious as to one thing though, is long hair Hajime supposed to be him infused with that dude's DNA or something?

Unfortunately, no

After seeing IF in DR2 I was kinda hoping it did get a proper translation. The fan translation is a little hard to follow, but could someone post an abridged ver. or such of what happened in it? Do consider using spoiler tags for the sake of those who hadn't read it yet.

I'm curious as to one thing though, is long hair Hajime supposed to be him infused with that dude's DNA or something?

I doubt anyone would give Hajime a title all things considered.

And we don't exactly know the details of the experiment that turned him into Izuru. Maybe he's infused with the DNA of all the school's students. Physically though, they're the same person.

Rubedo

He was the Ultimate Hope until he got mentally fucked up.

And I assumed when he first turned into Izuru he still looked like Hajime and he just grew his hair out after turning to Despair since it looks so feral.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm also really happy about the return of Junko. To me, Monokouma IS Junko and having someone pretending just doesn't fit. If a third game happens I don't think she should be brought back but they should also change monokouma's desing and replace the iconic looking one if they want to go a different route and have a new mastermind. It was also great they tied in how fucked up her actions were when you realized what it made people do.

This game is just so great. I wish we could find out who did what from those images. Did all of them apply to the cast? Or only some like the Mutiliations and necrophilia? I know those two are Fuyo and Mikan.

If all apply, I wonder who starved themselves?

Top Bottom