• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

frXcKFj.jpg

"Wanna mess with the loser reserve course students?"
"Hmm, Ok!"
"Wanna start rioting because the Hopes Peak staff totallllllly deserve it?"
"Hmm, Ok!"
"Wanna spread general Despair and chaos?"
"Hmm... Ok!"

Squish, squish

Look at the bow tie and those eyes, son. That's Mukuro Ikusaba.

galvenize

If IF has any truth to the character , which is should since it was written by the creator, she was forced into most of it.

More like she has a sister complex and would do anything for Junko. Can't say she was forced into it.
I loved what I read in "IF" and I would seriously love more Mukuro.

Rubedo

More like she has a sister complex and would do anything for Junko. Can't say she was forced into it.

Yeah that's basically it. Not so much "forced" as manipulated because she cared about her sister and she was one of the only people that seemed to fare about her. Much like Mikan.

Yeah that's basically it. Not so much "forced" as manipulated because she cared about her sister and she was one of the only people that seemed to fare about her. Much like Mikan.

Mukuro is the true Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel.

Moonlight

Banned
You and me both, dude. You should check out her DR1 School Mode events if you haven't. Technically, she's acting as 'Junko' but she basically drops almost all pretenses. Secretly the best character in the game!

PK Gaming

If IF has any truth to the character , which is should since it was written by the creator, she was forced into most of it.

Mukuro might not have fetishized Despair like Junko, but she was 100% devoted to her sister. Like, almost to an insane degree.

DanganRonpa IF said:
Mukuro Ikusaba, meanwhile, had neither hope for the world nor despair at it. At least, not while she was a member of Fenrir. She had only come to believe that she was among those who brought despair because she grew up with Junko. She had nothing against the world, and only followed her sister because she believed this was her mission.

Although there was nothing for Ikusaba to apologize for, the Super High School Level Soldier recoiled at hearing the word ‘disappointment’ from her younger sister, having been called this many times before.

"I love you."

How long had she wanted to hear these words from Junko?

Ikusaba believed that, no matter what Junko said, she actually loved her very much.

Ikusaba believed that she alone could understand the despair known as Junko Enoshima.

It was a ludicrous notion.

The moment Junko said, ‘I love you’, Ikusaba realized—to her agony—that she never truly understood her sister. Only now had she come to realize Junko’s feelings.

Junko was being kind. There was no lie in her gentle words. Perhaps she was being entirely truthful about loving her sister as well. This was precisely why this signalled the destruction of their relationship. Ikusaba realized that Junko was cutting ties with her.

She's completely apathetic towards anything that doesn't involve her sister. (Ok, Junko and Makoto), and would do anything for her. She was pretty much her tool.

Your reasoning is out of focus. I think. Mukuro was a quiet, reserved person. She would never talk to anyone in such a relaxed, playful manner.

ixxzU1y8oGjMj.gif

No, that's wrong

tumblr_inline_mqde7fLruQ1qz4rgp.png

Mukuro spends the entirety of DanganRonpa as Junko's double. "Mukuro" might not speak in such a manner, but "Junko" definitely would. After all, the Junko you meet at the beginning of DR1 has a completely different persona from the genuine article!

Major DanganRonpa Zero spoilers

She spends the majority of DR:0 acting Junko's double. She manages to fool a ton of people, including *Junko* herself!

ixxzU1y8oGjMj.gif

No, that's wrong

Mukuro spends the entirety of DanganRonpa as Junko's double. "Mukuro" might not speak in such a manner, but "Junko" definitely would. After all, the Junko you meet at the beginning of DR1 has a completely different persona from the genuine article!

Major DanganRonpa Zero spoilers

She spends the majority of DR:0 acting Junko's double. She manages to fool a ton of people, including *Junko* herself!
AVRIL LAVIGNE!

Would Mukuro dressed as Junko really be the one to recruit people into the Ultimate Despairs? I WUNT ACCEPT THAT. PARIS HILTON!

PK Gaming

AVRIL LAVIGNE!

Would Mukuro dressed as Junko really be the one to recruit people into the Ultimate Despairs? I WUNT ACCEPT THAT. PARIS HILTON!

Haha, probably not

It was just a dumb joke I came up with from seeing that image.

I'm sure Hiyoko had a legititamate reason for joining the Ultimate Despair (and it probably involved Junko), I just can't think of one :[

galvenize

ixxzU1y8oGjMj.gif

No, that's wrong

I believe he was talking about Mukuro's "true" personality aka the one she had during her school life with all the other students.

galvenize

You and me both, dude. You should check out her DR1 School Mode events if you haven't. Technically, she's acting as 'Junko' but she basically drops almost all pretenses. Secretly the best character in the game!

I skipped the school life mode on DR1. I did watch the different endings on youtube though.

Rubedo

So Gundham killed Nekomaru using an attack from creatures that technically do not exist.

Gundham killed Nekomaru with MAGIC.

Well everything was made up of digital code anyway so really every murder was done with something that "didn't exist".

jackdoe

Just finished the game. Loved the Super Saiyan power up. However, I could do with less baby making with Junko's corpse. That was a real WTF moment for me.

Just finished the game. Loved the Super Saiyan power up. However, I could do with less baby making with Junko's corpse. That was a real WTF moment for me.

It's been said that that was kind of a bungled translation. It was literally translated as "tried to have children with her body" but was supposed to mean someone implanted Junko's ovaries/uterus in their own body to actually have her children.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't realize a bunch of lengthy, English DR2 videos had been uploaded more than a week before the game's launch.

Watching case 1 again, this was probably my favorite Mahiru moment. Also, next to Akane, Ibuki was probably the dumbest person in the classroom trials.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Mioda_%2811%29.png

This one's also a longshot, but she probably fell into Despair following the breakup of her band. Music is her livelyhood, and if she couldn't write songs or perform, I could see her falling into Despair over that. But then again, it's Ibuki. It would take a huge amount of misfortune for to join up with the Ultimate Despair.

This is the one that always gets me, especially with the way Ibuki acts. I'd really love to know what caused her to join up with Junko.

source

Zephyx

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed Hiyoko and Teruteru ;_;

Especially Teruteru. Obviously he was a pervert but I thought it was a lot funnier than it should have been. Like a better version of Hifumi's character from DR1. Not to mention his motivation made him kinda sympathetic (despite the fact once you realized they were Ultimate Despairs and he probably cooked his mom and ate her)

I only liked Teruteru because of the music playing during his execution. :)

Am I the only one that thinks this is a really stupid design? Just screams "I'm really evil".

I liked the design. You are right about the screaming evil part though.

Vylash

iJFPPu93Q1LSM.gif

NOW I UNDERSTAND!

Junko wasn't the only one uploaded into the game, Mukuro was too! DR3 starts with Mukuro taking over the bodies of one of the students! Villain confirmed!

PK Gaming

I love this image so much

iJFPPu93Q1LSM.gif

NOW I UNDERSTAND!

Junko wasn't the only one uploaded into the game, Mukuro was too! DR3 starts with Mukuro taking over the bodies of one of the students! Villain confirmed!

That was the funniest Hangman's Gambit in the entire game. It's definitely one of the more blatant examples padding in DR1.

Dora The Explorer: "What did Junko Enoshima do to show everyone (through TVs) the power of Despair?"

H...
I...
J...
A...
C...
K...

You're right, it's Hijack!

Just beat the game..... So no one actually died? There's still a chance everyone will be saved??? I was not expecting such a hopeful ending. :D I guess that really is a twist.

Personally, and not just because he's my favorite, I think Nekomaru will be the easiest to restore for two reasons. First, we don't know what actually happened to his "body" after it was taken by Monokuma, (as revealed in the game, he's not allowed to kill anyone), and secondly, part of his consciousness still survived through Minimaru. (It wasn't just repeating pre-programed catch phrases, he was reacting to the different situations, which indicated some base level of AI. Plus, everytime Minimaru spoke, he was credited as Nekomaru, as opposed to someone like Alter Ego.)

Anyway, I enjoyed the game very, very much. It definitely lived up to the hype, and the fact that there is still hope for all the students makes me really excited for future developments. (I would of been excited anyway, but now there's even more hope to believe in.)

I'm ready for Another Episode and DR3 like right now. I want to begin immediately. O_O

AVRIL LAVIGNE!
I can't remember the last time a game made me laugh out loud as much as this part did.

antibolo

Banned
Just beat the game..... So no one actually died? There's still a chance everyone will be saved??? I was not expecting such a hopeful ending. :D I guess that really is a twist.

Kyouko mentions that the chances of them ever waking up are basically nonexistent. I took that as a "yes, they're definitely dead".

Kyouko mentions that the chances of them ever waking up are basically nonexistent. I took that as a "yes, they're definitely dead".
Which is immediately followed by Makoto saying that even a small chance is still a chance, and that he believes they'll achieve it. And that the whole theme of the ending is making your own future despite the odds. Sooooooo, I think it's the opposite actually. Of course it was left ambiguous for creative freedom, but I'm surprised that's your takeaway from the scene.

(Don't forget Usami & Chiaki appearing after they had been erased.)

FluxWaveZ

Which is immediately followed by Makoto saying that even a small chance is still a chance, and that he believes they'll achieve it. And that the whole theme of the ending is making your own future despite the odds. Sooooooo, I think it's the opposite actually.

(Don't forget Usami & Chiaki appearing after they had been erased.)

You're making me hope the opening scene of DR3 is Kazuichi killing all of the dormant Ultimate Despair in their pods.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

It's an anime, "basically nonexistent" equals "they'll be 100% fine for the next game."

It's an anime, "basically nonexistent" equals "they'll be 100% fine for the next game."
Also, this game frequently has situations occurring based on almost insurmountable odds all in the name of luck. How many times was something stated as "impossible" only for it to happen moments later?

the dev are making the players decide! If you guys hope they are alive, then they will be. If you despair about them being "dead" then they are dead.

hopes for ibuki

Vylash

DR3 has a brain scanning feature, if the game detects that you like Hiyoko, Kazuichi, or Teruteru, all the characters die right before your Vita bursts into flames

DR3 has a brain scanning feature, if the game detects that you like Hiyoko, Kazuichi, or Teruteru, all the characters die right before your Vita bursts into flames
*phew* I'm safe.

Should be the opposite based on the player's desires.
Of that the appearance of a hopeful outcome runs opposite based on the despair the games have conditioned you to expect. The ending of the first DR runs the complete opposite on tone of this game, and I think that was totally intentional.

FluxWaveZ

The ending of the first DR runs the complete opposite on tone of this game, and I think that was totally intentional.

Did it? Both endings seemed pretty open-ended and hopeful—with the protagonists looking towards their future—to me, with DR2's probably wrapping things up a bit more concretely.

Did it? Both endings seemed pretty open-ended and hopeful—with the protagonists looking towards their future—to me, with DR2's probably wrapping things up a bit more concretely.
Eh, DR's ending had threads of hope, but I felt that their lack of knowledge, the super ominous visual of the door opening, and the still "alive" Monokuma made it feel much more depressing.

DR2 pretty much ends the best way it possible can. There's still a chance that everyone will live (even Chiaki and Usami), Makoto & Co. go back to continue their work at defeating despair (which is already ebbing), and Hajime had forsaken his Izuru persona. It's all left uncertain, but I think the theme of hope runs very strong throughout.

PK Gaming

So i've been wondering about this for a while. Why do you guys think AE designed Chiaki to have narcolepsy?

Alter Ego didn't design Chiaki, Chihiro did.

In her free time events, Chiaki mentions her father (a programmer) who's already deceased. She makes a point to state that he seemed manly when working on a computer (because... you know). She mentions him again in chapter 5, when Monomi ponders where she got her kindness from.

Chiaki: Either our father or our older brother... that's probably who, isn't it.

(The older brother presumably being Alter Ego)

Needless to say, Chiaki was the advanced AI Chihiro was referring to the in the first game.

I wouldn't read in too much to the narcolepsy thing. It's just a character trait; either Chihiro programmed with her with that in mind, or her narcolepsy just references the fact that she's an A.I, and probably has to run a sub-routine when she wants to respond to someone.

Rubedo

In regards to the alive/not alive conversation about the DR2 characters, I'd like them to stay dead simply because having everyone get out fine would make all the murders and happenings of the game feel meaningless. There's no weight to them killing each other if they can just get up from it afterwards.

Also, they say "comatose" but the way they describe it sounds more like being brain dead. That's a lot harder to come back from than just waking up.

Top Bottom