• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
What does that even mean?

iQcX5NT9fwEgx.jpg

-_-

-Horizon-

Noragami 10-12

I liked it, it was a cute ending with those two. Kind of want a season 2 to get into the Bishamon plot since it just kind of stalled halfway.

Jex

Noragami 10-12

I liked it, it was a cute ending with those two. Kind of want a season 2 to get into the Bishamon plot since it just kind of stalled halfway.

If only based BONES could produce such a project! Sadly I see no reason why anyone would want another season produced.

Next person that says Based [studio] I just want you to know everytime somebody says it in this thread I have fantasies about physically harming you :)

Same as when somebody says something like "it's an X inside of an X" and somebody else feels the oh so clever need to say "OH HEY HURR HURR IT'S AN X-CEPTION!"

Jex

Eureka Seven 30

And with that outfit change, both Eureka and Talho have both completed their downgrade. For shame, how can they hope to be 'waifus' now? It's no wonder that BASED BONES had to produce AO with the aim of creating a series with decent waifus.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 6:

I suddenly feel like eating a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal. Anyway, good to see that our sorting algorithm of evil is progressing as expected though dear god those censoring issues are starting to kill this for me.

Stardust Crusaders 6

That smoking censorship was dumb but didn't bother me at all, rest of the episode was pretty awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Japan its illegal to depict someone under the age of 20 smoking hence the wonky censorship

LegatoB

Tell me more about how you watched DEEN.
DEEN don't exactly put in great work, but a lot of F/SN's problems are right there in the source material. It was all downhill the moment Tohsaka -- a smart, clever and competent young lady -- stopped being the main character in favor of a stupid dork notable mostly for his cosmic levels of naiveté.

Blusby

DEEN don't exactly put in great work, but a lot of F/SN's problems are right there in the source material. It was all downhill the moment Tohsaka -- a smart, clever and competent young lady -- stopped being the main character in favor of a stupid dork notable mostly for his cosmic levels of naiveté.

I'm sorry that you missed the point of Shirou's character, funny thing about Tohsaka is that despite her being *competent* she messes up regularly in the source at critical points.
Shirou's only *naive* act in the VN is trusting Illya so readily.

I'm sorry that you missed the point of Shirou's character, funny thing about Tohsaka is that despite her being *competent* she messes up regularly in the source at critical points.

Only during the good endings!

Bad ending Tohsaka makes the right call in some key cases with ...
Removing the hilariously magically handicapped Shirou from the Holy Grail War entirely.
and (F/SN Heaven's Feel Spoiler)
Making sure the world-ending apocalypse that is her sister dies before she becomes a problem to begin with

The world would have been a better place without Shirou!

Shirou is just a harem protagonist that didn't deserve to be in this world full of awesome battles. Hence why Fate Zero exists. They said let's make a show without Shirou.

And it was fucking glorious.

LegatoB

Shirou's only *naive* act in the VN is trusting Illya so readily.
I get what they were doing with Shirou, I just prefer it when characters experience growth in the course of an actual arc, rather than in alternate dimensions. Third time's the charm, I guess. And if
Heroic Spirit Emiya's existence
isn't the outcome of tragic levels of naiveté, I don't know what is!

Plus, you know, all the harem/eroge parts, only some of which will be excised for the adaptation. Those parts are all pretty awful.

e: Like, I guess the biggest issue I have is that, even though it was created later and has the advantage of hindsight, Fate/Zero is much better at tackling some of the same concepts and general angles that F/SN did. Kiritsugu's a slightly different kind of dorky, dangerously naive fool, but it's just not that interesting to watch his son and Saber repeat the same mistakes, and enable each others' foolish idealism. And it takes a long time for them to really develop that dynamic. Cool concepts, poor-to-OK execution, mostly.

Jex

If only duckroll hadn't succumbed to Ufotable disease this kind of heinous discussion wouldn't be allowed in this world.

Oh lord, this is only going to get worse as the show approaches, isn't it? Fudge.

Blusby

If only duckroll hadn't succumbed to Ufotable disease this kind of heinous discussion wouldn't be allowed in this world.

Oh lord, this is only going to get worse as the show approaches, isn't it? Fudge.

Indeed, if he didn't we'd be able to engage in serious discussion about the color of an underaged girls underwear!

Jex

So, because of firehawk12 I ended up listening to the ANNcast once again, a show I only subject myself to when they have a pretty interesting guest on. So there I was idly passing the time waiting for them to get to the part of the show where they interview the guest when, to my horror, I realised I had acquired the wrong episode and there would be no guest. That meant I had no choice but to suffer through an hour of pure, unadulterated, Zac and Justin bullshit.

There was a lot of nonsense, as one might expect, but the most head-slapping moment of the episode was where Zac was talking about the Space Adventure Cobra TV series that he had watched on DVD. First they mention they say that the series isn't out on Blu-ray in Japan (wrong), then Zac says that the show wouldn't be able to look any better on BD anyway because it was an old show (wrong again) but he did admit that the it looked pretty good for an 80's show (implying that anime in the 80's had poor production values - wrong again).

I'm sure if 7th heard that he'd had a heart attack. RIP 7th.

Oh he also called this season "pretty meh" - okay man, whatever you say!
Indeed, if he didn't we'd be able to engage in serious discussion about the color of an underaged girls underwear!

Flipping through my rule book of anime tropes leads me to believe that the colour will be white. Assuming that we're talking seriously here!
Black Bullet-5

This is such a :cnet show.
The fact that you're still watching it sounds like self-incrimination.

Pooya

Shirou is just a harem protagonist that didn't deserve to be in this world full of awesome battles.

naah man, look at it from a positive light, for someone that was conceived as a hentai protag and shoehorned into this world after the fact, Shitrou didn't turn out that bad! he's just a super plain idealistic idiot with terrible character design because you don't get to see him often in the game anyway! so who cares how he looks like? just generic ass enough so people can project themselves on him!

ah, that didn't sound very positive now, did it?

Midonin

Date A Live II 05

The season of :SDBurton continues. While there was no sign of Kaguya (maybe she'll cameo later), having Minori Chihara is also pretty good. And I'll get this out of the way, yes, a famous singer named Miku, it's pretty obvious what the author's going for here. But all that flirting. While "Shiori" only makes it pseudo-yuri, that's still more yuri than I was expecting in this show. And all this in the middle of an upheaval of the AST and a school festival. I'm sure all three of these will collide in some fashion. I still like the twins a little more, but Miku's made a good first impression.

Jex

He's improved a lot since the Doctor Who thing.

Sounds like you're ready to believe in the 5-tone future.
Armored Trooper VOTOMS 22

Man Space Vietnam is so fucking awesome. Like, I'm not even sure where to begin. Like, I really like Father Buroughs as a villain because he almost doesn't seem villainous at all. He's not stupid, but he also isn't "omg so sneak such crafty" either. He isn't petty, and while he is completely okay with offing Fyana and sees her as an item rather than a person, he's also pretty damn invested in preventing her death and seems to keep her in comparative luxury. Most interesting of all is his role as a clergyman, however. Like, that's just plain never gone away. Long after I'd assume he would shed the mantle and just come out as some weird villain, he continues to maintain that he is a man of the cloth. He is entirely neutral at times, and that only really fuels the mystery. Who does Buroughs work for? What is their aim with the PS project?

Moving right along, I love the way the show handles the mechs. In Real Robot shows mechs tend to be mass produced and expendable, save for the hero's unit, which is always customized, unique and in the case of oh, Sousuke Sagara, for instance, is more of a Super Robot in a Real Robot's clothes. But in this show mechs are almost entirely expendable. Chirico clearly has a preference for the green scopedog he's been riding in the entire series, but in a pinch he'll pilot whatever and abandon whatever as need be. There's nothing special about his mech, and aside from when it sports a Red Shoulder, there isn't anything visually distinct about it, either. It really sells it on the whole "Military Weapon" feeling in a way that I don't think that the Gundam or the Arbalest do, since both of those have that whole "experimental [magical] prototype" going on. It actually feels closer to the Valkyries of the first Macross, which were, aside from Hikaru's, neither visually special nor mechanically (note that I don't really feel that Hikaru's second Valkyrie, the one he inherits, is mechanically special. Just visually distinct as a wing leader.) Course after that Valkyries sorta go super route themselves, what with Guld's Psychic one and Basara's "I run on rock and roll" one.

What's more is that, because Chirico's mechs aren't custom or special, there's a very real element of danger in the show. Nobody expects a Leo or a Zaku to best a Gundam (minus when Hiro jobbed Wufei in the movie), and the idea of a Savage or a Shadow winning against an ARX is laughable, but Chirico is in what appears to be a fairly out-dated model AT, up against guys who are like, Cyber Newtypes, and all he has is his war experience to get him through it. Granted Chirico was an elite soldier at one point in the war, he's still not a match for these Perfect Soldiers, and he's constantly getting into really, really tight spots as a result.

The show doesn't really shy away from showing that combat in Nam is horrible, either, and at one point Chirico refers to the jungles as his own "green Hell."

This show is an absolute treat, and next episode looks to be some Snake Eater stuff!
Yes. Yesssssss. Go deeper.

Jex

Minky Momo - The Bridge over Dreams

A very impressive and atmospheric one-off OVA that, despite being ostensibly being part of a magical girl show didn't really show any of the hallmarks of the genre. I've ready mixed things about the various other Momo works so I won't be in a rush to check them out just quite yet. It's a bit sad that the director of this has done nothing but direct Pokemon ever since but I guess it pays the bills regularly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, because of firehawk12 I ended up listening to the ANNcast once again, a show I only subject myself to when they have a pretty interesting guest on. So there I was idly passing the time waiting for them to get to the part of the show where they interview the guest when, to my horror, I realised I had acquired the wrong episode and there would be no guest. That meant I had no choice but to suffer through an hour of pure, unadulterated, Zac and Justin bullshit.
You're living in the past. That episode is like a month old.

Jex

As a side-thought, listening to the discussion of Youkai Watch's popularity on the 8-4 podcast had me thinking about how it's interesting that the hottest property in Japan doesn't even have a legal stream over here and the fansubs appear to be way behind too. Obviously it's a kids show so it wouldn't be that popular with the average Western audience member but it's still funny that the kind of shows that people in this thread are interested in (besides shonen shows) are truly in the tiny minority of shows that are popular in Japan.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo 21-24
I enjoyed this series. It seems like a good reimagining of the source material. These final episodes were amazing. The scale of how the Count destroyed each of the traitors was great. Bendetto was a complete asshole.
The way both Albert's father and the Count resolved their hatred and stopped this cycle of revenge and destruction had a good amount of feeling though I found Albert's love returned the Count to a human state was silly.
The epilogue was sweet but felt weak. It was funny to see what Peppa turned into and the scene with Maximillian was good but overall, it felt too long for a full episode.

Jex

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo 21-24
I enjoyed this series. It seems like a good reimagining of the source material. These final episodes were amazing. The scale of how the Count destroyed each of the traitors was great. Bendetto was a complete asshole.
The way both Albert's father and the Count resolved their hatred and stopped this cycle of revenge and destruction had a good amount of feeling though I found Albert's love returned the Count to a human state was silly.
The epilogue was sweet but felt weak. It was funny to see what Peppa turned into and the scene with Maximillian was good but overall, it felt too long for a full episode.

Interesting, with regards to the ending
how do you feel about Franz essentially killing the Count? Are you pleased or displeased that he dies at the end as opposed to the original, where he lived.

Midonin

Riddle Story of Devil 06

A rose by any other name would most likely be a lily. And the play's the thing in which the conscience of the king... *checks* Wrong Shakespeare. Good followup to the previous week, but the amount of classmates in Class Black left is dwindling, and dwindling fast. The rest of them must have quite the backstory for the back half of the show to be carried on their shoulders. I've always been a fan of the theater, but Romeo and Juliet is definitely the most common play in anime, and anything else. Its themes are broad enough that it can cover everything from this to kids' shows, but it's so omnipresent. Not a bad job ad-libbing in this case, but if the girls in the audience ever knew...

Shirou is just a harem protagonist that didn't deserve to be in this world full of awesome battles. Hence why Fate Zero exists. They said let's make a show without Shirou.

And it was fucking glorious.
Well no they just made a show with a purpose from start to finish.
Fate stay night is the whole package ( all 3 routes ) and it had to explain the setting , the rules , everything by itself across several set events.
Fate zero is better because they could exploit all of this and teh fact that they had a direction, a place where to go with the story.

naah man, look at it from a positive light, for someone that was conceived as a hentai protag and shoehorned into this world after the fact, Shitrou didn't turn out that bad! he's just a super plain idealistic idiot with terrible character design because you don't get to see him often in the game anyway! so who cares how he looks like? just generic ass enough so people can project themselves on him!

Wait , you were trying to be positive ?

Date A Live II 05

The season of :SDBurton continues. While there was no sign of Kaguya (maybe she'll cameo later), having Minori Chihara is also pretty good. And I'll get this out of the way, yes, a famous singer named Miku, it's pretty obvious what the author's going for here. But all that flirting. While "Shiori" only makes it pseudo-yuri, that's still more yuri than I was expecting in this show. And all this in the middle of an upheaval of the AST and a school festival. I'm sure all three of these will collide in some fashion. I still like the twins a little more, but Miku's made a good first impression.

There is no reason to stop the :sdburton !

Link Man

Banned
Next person that says Based [studio] I just want you to know everytime somebody says it in this thread I have fantasies about physically harming you :)

Same as when somebody says something like "it's an X inside of an X" and somebody else feels the oh so clever need to say "OH HEY HURR HURR IT'S AN X-CEPTION!"

Based Woofception

As a side-thought, listening to the discussion of Youkai Watch's popularity on the 8-4 podcast had me thinking about how it's interesting that the hottest property in Japan doesn't even have a legal stream over here and the fansubs appear to be way behind too. Obviously it's a kids show so it wouldn't be that popular with the average Western audience member but it's still funny that the kind of shows that people in this thread are interested in (besides shonen shows) are truly in the tiny minority of shows that are popular in Japan.

I think Dentsu putting it up for tv broadcast rights in the US, is a bit better than trying to get a legal simulcast.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mushishi S2 06
Pretty weak episode. Didn't come together well thematically when it came to youth/aging or the idea of passing something down through generations. The build to the climax came across as really awkward, and the pieces left dangling at the end seems kind of major. Ultimately you just have this tree in the spotlight, one without any personality that just kind of pushes the important human facet of Mushishi completely out of focus.

Interesting, with regards to the ending
how do you feel about Franz essentially killing the Count? Are you pleased or displeased that he dies at the end as opposed to the original, where he lived.

I feel
it makes Franz's death very meaningful. It sort of creates symbolism in that the Count has to pay for his sins.The count surviving would have made a more bittersweet ending too as the Count's death allowed Albert and the henchmen to become stronger as people

cajunator

Banned
Nice!

Need me some Chiho-chan greatness.

We all need Chiho in our lives. Even the Emi heathens.

What tetris music ?i must confessi only watched the first 8 minutes of episode 1 because i didn't have time to watch everything.
Is there something i must pay attention at ?

Amazon
( i'm in a european territory ) those are UK/EU blu-rays

They already tried, it wasn't that great.

They replaced Katyusha in episode 7 or 8 where the russian tank girls are advancing. It was adorable. Now its gone :(

Officially eligible for full member status, aww yeah.

Gonna push through to finish the first half of Star Driver after the Habs game.

Congratulations!

鄰座同學是怪咖 (Seki-kun OP in Chinese)

And yes, that's apparently the official title of the series in that language, which best as I can tell roughly translates to "The Weird Student Next To Me".

This one REALLY doesnt work :/

If I could take just a moment to discuss what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is:

5HkWM9sl.png

MARI OKADA.

-----------------------------------------

All you need to know to understand the following is that Yuzuki wants to fuck her brother Kazuki. Desperately. Immediately preceeding the scene in the following webm, she peeks into his classroom, dejection spreading across her face at the mere sight of him casually associating with females that aren't her.

Then this happens:

http://a.pomf.se/rolrjs.webm

Now, we know that teenage girls bullying each other gets Mari Okada hard. It is something that, if the necessary elements to construct a scene exist in a show, she cannot resist doing. WIXOSS is the first Okada show, however, where the bullies might actually have a point. Of course, Yuzuki, as one of the protagonists, is framed entirely as a victim of people who just don't understand her. She storms off, holes up in a children's playground for the rest of the evening, and immediately tries to rationalize what just happened by going NO U:

I mean, seriously, just why can't anyone accept that she wants oniichan's D?

The best part comes after this, when, sitting atop a children's slide ruminating on the day's confrontation, she suddenly sees her brother walk past with a gaggle of friends, both female and male, in tow. The scene is interrupted by her encountering and defeating another WIXOSS player off-screen, but the moment that she finds herself alone again, she erupts into a full-blown tearful NTR freakout because WHY CAN'T KAZUKI JUST BE SATISFIED WITH ME?!?

HOW CAN HE POSSIBLY DO REGULAR TEENAGE THINGS WITH HIS FRIENDS WHEN HE HAS HIS SISTER WHO LOVES HIM AND CARES FOR HIM AND CRAVES HIS COCK MORE THAN HE COULD EVER KNOW?!?!?

I WILL DIE, I WILL SERIOUSLY DIE IF I DON'T FUCK MY ONII-CHAN.

Incest NTR tears. And we still have three-quarters of the show left.

You want us to watch this show so badly lol. I will get to it no worries!

lol is bakemonogatari considered moe?

VERY!

Yukiho > Haruka > Takane > Iori > all the other IM@S

I see Takane but the lack of Makoto is troubling.

Let me go through my watchlist for this season and see how I'd categorize them, keeping in mind of course that the borderline for "moe" is different for everyone:

I think classifying an entire show as moe only really works for some of the cute-girls-doing-cute-things shows; otherwise, I wouldn't really call it moe but rather just a show that happens to have cute girls in it.

Baby Steps -- dunno
Captain Earth -- super moe
Gochiusa -- moenuke tier
Haikyuu!! -- dunno
Happiness Charge Precure -- megamoe
JoJo: Stardust Crusaders -- moe
Love Live S2 -- super moe
Mekaku City Actors -- ultra moe
Mushishi Zoku Shou -- slightly moe
Nanana -- super moe
Nisekoi -- hyper moe
No Game No Life -- squee moe
One Week Friends -- HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH moe
Ping Pong -- meh moe

Is it shadecube time again?

This will always be hilarious and wrong.
I am glad I dont know anyone like that.

Doraemon to air in the us.

Nothing to comment on here except for "huh..."

They are literally a lifetime too late.

Meh. There's basically nothing on US TV of interest for me. About all I watch is GoT, Arrow and Black Sails (and that's on the chopping block). Though the Penny Dreadful pilot was kind of interesting.

The last TV series I watched that wasnt nature or science based was Firefly.
I dont watch Breaking bad or Game of Thrones or Lost or whatever else everyone seems to be.

Everyone should just watch Treme. :(

Treme is quite good. New Orleans is a pretty cool city to visit but its kind of filthy like an old European city. There is a definite soul in it that you will feel throughout. A vibe. Its special.

Jarmel

Banned
The fact that you're still watching it sounds like self-incrimination.
But where else would I get my dose of bad writing where a possessive body guard threatens to kill the main character? Or where a villain gives his speech of taking over the world, by putting a large ass gun on the moon, in front of an audience? Or where a sleepy loli is instead a super skilled assassin that the main character randomly meets?
Doesn't that face scream good writing?

There are issues with Shirou but self insertion is really not one of them. The VN goes to great lengths to show how fucked up he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom