• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
That box...

otrqygt.jpg

Hey man, Spiderman Ranger and Batman Ranger were awesome characters!

After reading all of the Genshiken manga, and liking it, I was checking around now the anime with thoughts of watching it with a friend some day. But... damn, what an adaptation. Visually it's... let's say below average, done by minor studios and they changed around in both seasons and in ovas (Palm Studio, Ajia-do and Arms). And it's lacking the most important arc and the ending!
-No Ogie arc where she starts to accept herself.
-No romance between her and Sasahara.
-No Mada & Saki final scene where the truth is revealed.
-No graduation scene to give proper closure.

It makes me appreciate more the luck we are having in the new Hunter x Hunter adaptation: all adapted, great respect for the original material, fairly good budget for a series so long, Madhouse seal of quality in animation and direction.

After reading all of the Genshiken manga, and liking it, I was checking around now the anime with thoughts of watching it with a friend some day. But... damn, what an adaptation. Visually it's... let's say below average, done by minor studios and they changed around in both seasons and in ovas (Palm Studio, Ajia-do and Arms). And it's lacking the most important arc and the ending!
-No Ogie arc where she starts to accept herself.
-No romance between her and Sasahara.
-No Mada & Saki final scene where the truth is revealed.
-No graduation scene to give proper closure.

It makes me appreciate more the luck we are having in the new Hunter x Hunter adaptation: all adapted, great respect for the original material, fairly good budget for a series so long, Madhouse seal of quality in animation and direction.

Pretty sure that spoiler 3 was covered close to the end of Genshiken Second Season.

You're both just talking about different scenes.

I'm talking about the third-to-last chapter of the manga, where
he almost confess her feeling but choose not to, and have a nice scene together full of emotion, and I suppose he is talking the scene where Mada finally confess her feeling to her pressured by everyone else.

cajunator

Banned
Between NISA and aniplex and Sentai, were getting back into a very pleasing rhythm of nearly everything getting licensed by somebody. I dunno if its sustainable but Im going to be purchasing so much stuff as long as they keep doing it..

Between NISA and aniplex and Sentai, were getting back into a very pleasing rhythm of nearly everything getting licensed by somebody. I dunno if its sustainable but Im going to be purchasing so much stuff as long as they keep doing it..

Hopefully someone decides to go back a few years to license missed gems like Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei and Minami-ke.

Ah could be I only remember his look in After Story. But anyway that means that his
post was a lie. And here I though, that I could trust AnimeGAF :,(

That is him in After Story. He's
in jail
in the picture. Maybe OceanBlue thought you meant that it was Tomoya's father at 20 and not Tomoya's father when Tomoya was 20.

Edit: Or, wait. Did you think it was Tomoya's father at 20 in that picture?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's like me watching it now.
Well I admit your impressions were inspiration to my bored afternoon solution.

There's so much fanservice that is missed by people who weren't fans before the anime like me (and you I'm assuming). It's a lot of fun watching older fans talk about it and revisiting certain scenes after you've had more exposure to the franchise.
Well for starters I recognise a lot of the songs now a ha ha ha. I'm sure there's still a lot of little titbits that I won't notice because my entry to the iM@S universe is still very much via the anime shows rather than the games. Also Miki really did suck from the get go. What does she even bring to the table? "I have a big chest" she says, well so do Takane and Azusa and they are far better. Total waste of space. I still have the whinge trip arc to "look forward to".

Articalys

As long as you're also prepared for Sentai's quality to keep dropping as they license more and more stuff, sure.

--------------------------

Capcom may be refusing to do anything more with the Onimusha series, but Crunchyroll is looking out for you people, which is why they've added the Onimusha Dawn of Dreams movie -- which is literally just an edited compliation of the game's CG cutscenes with some new footage -- to their catalog titles.

Hunter x Hunter 117:

Damn this has gone to One Piece/Dragon Ball pace during this arc. Soooo slooooow. Really shame because before ths arc pacing was one of the biggest strenghts of this show compared to other long running shonens.

cnet128

Banned
Dammit guys all your talking about Fate Stay/Night made me finally boot up my copy of Realta Nua on my Vita and start it. Even though I always told myself I wasn't going to play it until I finished Persona 3.

...One prologue and a bit of main story later and I'm wondering where the hours disappeared to. As if I needed another thing eating up my time T_T

Whoever said that Rin should have stayed the main character was totally right though. Dat Ueda Kana <3

Articalys

I'll be honest -- I feel kind of stupid posting this, since it was announced over eight hours ago, has probably been on multiple news sites by now, and a couple thread regulars even posted about it over in the gaming side thread for it, but for whatever reason nary a mention has been made of it here yet.

But anyway, in the rare event someone hasn't seen it yet, figured you ought to know.

The first pair of post-launch characters getting added to Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax are Miyuki Shiba (with Tatsuya added as a support character) and, who a lot of you were probably waiting for, Taiga Aisaka (with Ryuuji as support). No details on their playstyles yet, but I'd think they would be fairly obvious.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/849/849516/
Also, I guess this means you can have Rie Kugimiya vs. Rie Kugimiya without it being a Shana mirror match now, which is nice.

Chariot

That is him in After Story. He's
in jail
in the picture. Maybe OceanBlue thought you meant that it was Tomoya's father at 20 and not Tomoya's father when Tomoya was 20.

Edit: Or, wait. Did you think it was Tomoya's father at 20 in that picture?
Now I am confused. I reacted to the "12 years old" comment on that picture.

Theonik

Happiness Charge PreCure 14
Great episode.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Starlight Crusaders 05
Eh.

Binbougami ga 03-05
So hilarious. That cliffhanger though. Still kinda UNF.

Gundam 00 S2: 19-20

B'TRAYED! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh my goodness this show is bad. It's a shame, after a good first season and a good start to this one, the way it goes is just painful.

So they capture one of the Innovators and during his interrogation, the "SHOCKING TWIST" is revealed to all the members in CB that Anew is an Innovator working for Mr. Almark! Come on, they really suspected NOTHING from her? Not even you Not-Lockon when she did that flinch during your kiss?

So of course we have our big battle to try and win her over back to their side, to which it almost works, then Ribbons does some wibbily mind controlly thingy over her or something which causes her to strike back at Not-Lockon so Setsuna can finish her off.

I really should have saw that coming when Not-Lockon established his love for her in such a rushed manner.

Now I am confused. I reacted to the "12 years old" comment on that picture.

Yeah, but your comment could be interpreted in 2 different ways. Either you thought it was Tomoya's father that was 20 in the picture or you thought it was Tomoya that was 20 and the father was even older in the picture.

He is in the late 30s or something in the picture, not 12 anyways.

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 6

Holy crap.

It was fairly obvious just from the scenes before the OP what the big reveal of the episode was going to be, but the way things played out after that reveal...hot damn.
Best Romeo and Juliet play in anime ever.

...And yeah, we now seem to be
running out of assassins pretty fast

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As a side-thought, listening to the discussion of Youkai Watch's popularity on the 8-4 podcast had me thinking about how it's interesting that the hottest property in Japan doesn't even have a legal stream over here and the fansubs appear to be way behind too. Obviously it's a kids show so it wouldn't be that popular with the average Western audience member but it's still funny that the kind of shows that people in this thread are interested in (besides shonen shows) are truly in the tiny minority of shows that are popular in Japan.

Eh, as you mentioned that is a kid's show and also Youkai Watch seems like one of those local flavor animes that are far more popular at home then internationally so it is hardly surprising that it isn't the hot button.

Future Card Buddyfight! Episode 19: The Card Yota Left Behind! (engDUB)
BnOyawMCQAAh5gc.png

Break out your futurecard! Fun episode, though more on the side of Yota speculation than the buddyfight. I feel as if the cast is just sending mixed messages about it, like he's just lost somewhere or something though some say he's dead cause of the shrine, but I cant just imagine that as being the case in this universe. Perhaps Ill be wrong
At least the mom may become a buddyfighter too, in America

Chaika the Coffin Princess 5

Whelp another
3 Chaika
are running around should shake things up more. That snake sword was really dope though this was a pretty slow episode.

cajunator

Banned
As long as you're also prepared for Sentai's quality to keep dropping as they license more and more stuff, sure.

--------------------------

Capcom may be refusing to do anything more with the Onimusha series, but Crunchyroll is looking out for you people, which is why they've added the Onimusha Dawn of Dreams movie -- which is literally just an edited compliation of the game's CG cutscenes with some new footage -- to their catalog titles.

i am ok with the quality not being super high. Id rather it be available in lower quality than not at all.

I'll be honest -- I feel kind of stupid posting this, since it was announced over eight hours ago, has probably been on multiple news sites by now, and a couple thread regulars even posted about it over in the gaming side thread for it, but for whatever reason nary a mention has been made of it here yet.

But anyway, in the rare event someone hasn't seen it yet, figured you ought to know.

The first pair of post-launch characters getting added to Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax are Miyuki Shiba (with Tatsuya added as a support character) and, who a lot of you were probably waiting for, Taiga Aisaka (with Ryuuji as support). No details on their playstyles yet, but I'd think they would be fairly obvious.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/849/849516/

Also, I guess this means you can have Rie Kugimiya vs. Rie Kugimiya without it being a Shana mirror match now, which is nice.

I still kind of want this game. Its probably a mistake.

we get this but still no US idolmaster blu-ray? the fuck?

I knowwwww :(

Clov

Hopefully someone decides to go back a few years to license missed gems like Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei and Minami-ke.

Zetsubou Sensei actually was licensed at one point, by Media Blasters; but they didn't do anything with it and eventually lost the license. The exact same thing happened to another anime I really love, Moyashimon. I'm a little doubtful they'll be brought over here (Zetsubou Sensei requiring a large translation effort, Moyashimon having a very limited audience), but I'd love to see them get Blu-Ray releases at some point.

Nananana's Buried Treasure 5

What the fuck is even going on in this show anymore? I feel like they forgot to include entire scenes in the last 2 episodes. Pretty much ready to drop this.

Jarmel

Banned
Mushishi S2 06

Pretty weak episode. Didn't come together well thematically when it came to youth/aging or the idea of passing something down through generations. The build to the climax came across as really awkward, and the pieces left dangling at the end seems kind of major. Ultimately you just have this tree in the spotlight, one without any personality that just kind of pushes the important human facet of Mushishi completely out of focus.

Yea I kinda agree, pretty crappy episode overall.

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 6

Dammit
that victory over Akira wasn't nearly cathartic enough. Everyone is pretty screwed now, though, since Akira's going to lose to Iona and basically turn Iona into a god. Good job, Akira, even when you're failing you still ruin things for everybody.

...I wonder if
Iona specifically manipulated Akira into hating her in the hope that she would wish harm on her and then that wish could be turned on its head. That would be pretty final-boss level scheming.

Meanwhile being Hitoe is suffering, being Yuzuki is suffering, being Ruuko is suffering, being pretty much anyone is suffering. I was actually quite surprised that
Yuzuki didn't lose her battle with the new girl, but I guess in a way it's crueler to leave her just enough hope that she has to keep struggling on with the threat of that final loss hanging over her head while everything falls apart around her regardless. In her case, I guess losing would almost be a kindness, because although she would lose Kazuki forever, at least her struggle would be over and she would have the opportunity to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom