• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

abeats1f.jpg
She look like a sonic character.

neoanarch

I just like the look. I don't know why and I wont try to explain it, but I enjoy the look of angel Beats and I understand that you guys hate it. Thats unfortunate. but I just....I don't see the problem with it. The whole show is surreal to begin with and to me the look perfectly reflects that. I think for the type of show it is, the visuals fit.

Its fine that you like it. But it isn't good looking in any form that can be judged. Its like liking candy its a sugar rush.

Its fine that you like it. But it isn't good looking in any form that can be judged. Its like liking candy its a sugar rush.

It's fine that you dislike the bright lighting, but that doesn't make it bad. Just bright. Bright is not bad by default, it's entirely a matter of opinion.

sonicmj1

what's wrong with making the characters bright so you can see them? That's something that live-action filming usually does, for example...

When live-action filmmaking does it, you can see the effects of the additional lighting on the space around the characters, because it's actual light in an actual space.

Here, it's like some weird character-specific light that vanishes whenever it touches an element of background art.

I just like the look. I don't know why and I wont try to explain it, but I enjoy the look of angel Beats and I understand that you guys hate it. Thats unfortunate. but I just....I don't see the problem with it. The whole show is surreal to begin with and to me the look perfectly reflects that. I think for the type of show it is, the visuals fit.
I don't know how to describe everything that looks bad about the stills posted, but most of them showcase an abuse of a blur filter.

cajunator

Banned
When live-action filmmaking does it, you can see the effects of the additional lighting on the space around the characters, because it's actual light in an actual space.

Here, it's like some weird character-specific light that vanishes whenever it touches an element of background art.

I kind of think the show is designed to look like that lighting wise.
I found it to be a really cool look perosnally. Its not realistic but how realistic is a show about
dead people
fighting an angel in a high school with guns?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Natsurio Kiseki 01
I wanted to try this show because I saw one of the characters dressed as a witch or something in the latest episode. I shouldn't have even bothered. Couldn't make it very far.

I would imagine that any such issues (lighting of characters vs. background) are either intentional, or would be because even higher-budget anime like Angel Beats is still anime, so it doesn't have the money to do everything (ie, the reason why anime CG often looks cheap, small budgets for it)... I don't know which of the two it is, of course.

As I said though, that's not something I took note of while watching, myself.

The entire band is CG in some shots, dunno how that doesn't bug people. If you directly compare this shot to this one they look like they're from different shows.

It's not obvious enough to notice unless you're really paying attention, I think. But sure, you can probably tell once you know.

To be honest, what really bothers me is the poor character design. It's more or less hentai-quality.
Key did start out making H-games, so the art does sort of come from that school...

I kind of think the show is designed to look like that lighting wise.
I found it to be a really cool look perosnally. Its not realistic but how realistic is a show about
dead people
fighting an angel in a high school with guns?

I agree, I think they chose to make it brightly lit. And yeah, I also agree about realism... why does everything need realism? Unreality can be fine sometimes.

NewFresh

Is it peoples fault for expecting real life lighting to apply in an animated world or are the creators at fault for not living up to these standards?

neoanarch

It's fine that you dislike the bright lighting, but that doesn't make it bad. Just bright. Bright is not bad by default, it's entirely a matter of opinion.

Its not bright lighting though. Its overly saturated gloss. Its makes it look like its shot through vaseline. It doesn't make any spatial sense either. There are plenty of example of bright lighting that makes sense and doesn't distort the artwork.

Haruhi's Live Alive concert scene is a perfect example of this type of lighting done right.

cajunator

Banned
Her design is insulting because it apes Haruhi. There's literally nothing good about that Angel Beats character.

While she does look like Haruhi, I have seen enough anime to know that most characters resemble another from somewhere in the anime world. Unless the designs are super elaborate. this especially goes for the highschool girl designs. I mean like Haruhi wasnt exactly a stellar design to begin with.

zeroshiki

Natsurio Kiseki 01
I wanted to try this show because I saw one of the characters dressed as a witch or something in the latest episode. I shouldn't have even bothered. Couldn't make it very far.

Just wait for the proper HanaIro ripoff in Tari Tari.

While she does look like Haruhi, I have seen enough anime to know that most characters resemble another from somewhere in the anime world. Unless the designs are super elaborate. this especially goes for the highschool girl designs. I mean like Haruhi wasnt exactly a stellar design to begin with.

There are, as far as I know, only 2 anime characters who look and act like Haruhi. Haruhi and... that.

cajunator

Banned
Just wait for the proper HanaIro ripoff in Tari Tari.

There are, as far as I know, only 2 anime characters who look and act like Haruhi. Haruhi and... that.

she looks a bit like her and is kind of bossy, but otherwise, not really.
I dont think its a big deal though. This is just one show that I see completely differently from you guys.

Lain

take special note of how she's holding the rifle

The bigger problem in that shot for me is more her eye, among the number of problems in that particular shot.

Though I also admit that I enjoyed watching Angel Beats! after thinking it was shit initially. Gotta thanks the GDM a lot for that.

Koroviev

she looks a bit like her and is kind of bossy, but otherwise, not really.
I dont think its a big deal though. This is just one show that I see completely differently from you guys.

I haven't actually seen it, so I'm only commenting on the stills presented.

Come on, it's obviously a coincidence that NotHaruhi looks and acts exactly like Haruhi.

She doesn't act just like Haruhi at all, though. They are very different.

Quite true. On a related note, I remember a lot of people saying how Sora no Woto was going to be just like K-On, because they have similar character art design... of course, it didn't turn out that way at all, and anyway it didn't just have similar character art to K-On, but also to some other animes which predate K-On and also have very similar character art, such as Kannagi.

Yeah she has purple hair, and Kyon picks Yuki.

None of them are like the characters you're comparing them to on anything other than a very superficial basis.

Is it peoples fault for expecting real life lighting to apply in an animated world or are the creators at fault for not living up to these standards?

Good question. I think that could go either way...

Its not bright lighting though. Its overly saturated gloss. Its makes it look like its shot through vaseline. It doesn't make any spatial sense either. There are plenty of example of bright lighting that makes sense and doesn't distort the artwork.

Haruhi's Live Alive concert scene is a perfect example of this type of lighting done right.
Again though, why must it be realistic and believable? It's animation, not reality... maybe they could have done better, maybe they wanted it this way, I don't know, but either way I think it looks fine. Not everything needs to be real-life-accurate. It's really a case-by-case thing, I think.

cajunator

Banned

Quite true. On a related note, I remember a lot of people saying how Sora no Woto was going to be just like K-On, because they have similar character art design... of course, it didn't turn out that way at all, and anyway it didn't just have similar character art to K-On, but also to some other animes which predate K-On and also have very similar character art, such as Kannagi.

None of them are like the characters you're comparing them to on anything other than a very superficial basis.

Good question. I think that could go either way...

Again though, why must it be realistic and believable? It's animation, not reality... maybe they could have done better, maybe they wanted it this way, I don't know, but either way I think it looks fine. Not everything needs to be real-life-accurate. It's really a case-by-case thing, I think.

I definitely remember people describing Sora no Woto as "K-ON goes to war" Which it definitely isn't.
Art-wise, yeah Kannagi came first and there was a bit of a spat between A-1 and Kyo-ani.
Kyo-Ani kind of expanded on the Kanagi style with K-ON, then A-1 just kind of went on with the Kannagi style and applied it to Sora no Woto, but people associated that look with the far more popular K-ON than with the Kannagi show the art style began with.
Studios rob ideas from each other all the time.

I definitely remember people describing Sora no Woto as "K-ON goes to war" Which it definitely isn't.
Art-wise, yeah Kannagi came first and there was a bit of a spat between A-1 and Kyo-ani.
Kyo-Ani kind of expanded on the Kanagi style with K-ON, then A-1 just kind of went on with the Kannagi style and applied it to Sora no Woto, but people associated that look with the far more popular K-ON than with the Kannagi show the art style began with.
Studios rob ideas from each other all the time.

Yeah, it must have been frustrating for A-1 to be accused of ripping off KyoAni's character art when actually the exact opposite thing happened...

Maybe they were trying to piggyback some off of K-On's success by using that art style for SnW, maybe not, I don't know, but either way they had a quite legitimate right to use it, given that they animated Kannagi.

neoanarch

A-1 and KyonAni had a lot of staff crossover after Yamakan switched though. I don't think there was ever a thing made about it. Both the K-On and Kannagi manga had very similar styles anyway.

The purple Haruhi was a definite allusion as was the Rei clone. Sometimes this is done so the audience has an expectation of a character that is subverted. Other times its just lazy writing/design.

Lighting doesn't have to be realistic, but your giving AB way more credit than it deserves. The entire anime was just done quickly and lazily.

dimb

The last episode is really good. Depending on where you stopped, I could recommend just skipping to that.
I only wound up around episode eight or nine. I might come back to it in the future but I'd probably want to watch it in its entirety.

cajunator

Banned
The music is particulary amazing. Lovely upbeat classical music to set it off, followed by a rather unexpectedly beautiful French song and some Trumpet stuff which was GORGEOUS.

Also..

Space Bros. 02

Why is this so great? Why?

The music, the style of it, the way Mutta acts so casually and clumsy but you can tell he has higher aspirations...Damn it I've fallen for another show. SO ENJOYABLE.

NewFresh

Space Bros. 02

Why is this so great? Why?

The music, the style of it, the way Mutta acts so casually and clumsy but you can tell he has higher aspirations...Damn it I've fallen for another show. SO ENJOYABLE.

You just said it pretty well. It's because of the character development!

dimb

Sankarea 03
sankyounmbpq.jpg

Yeah, really loving this show so far. Incredibly striking visually, in a way that offers loads of relevant variety while still hitting old notes here and there to establish certain character traits. Rea's mother isn't just cold, she quickly moves out of shots and finds herself behind translucent barriers in relation to other characters. She is an outsider in her own house who simply watches over things, and its great to see a show taking advantage of the fact that it's a visual medium. These visual touches are just everywhere though, from mirrors acting as watchful eyes to smoldering photo shoot sets depicting characters emotions. The
rain
was a little cheesy, but otherwise every other visual effect has been executed on a very high level.
placepelzy.jpg

This episode does something I am very fond of in creative works that is often skipped over: it does a good bit of work establishing the location and where things are in relation to one another. While Accel World is having trouble keeping track of its bathrooms Sankarea is properly establishing large pieces of the surrounding area. This isn't done in a way that's excessive or unnecessary as an info dump, it just kind of happens organically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom