• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka of the dead 4

I love that Sarasvati has a bigger role this season. She's such a great character.

This show really is at its best when it sticks to the over the top absurdity (even though I like the serious action too).

Theres only like six more episodes and really no defined plot? What role would she have?

Mirai Nikki 25
Was that a Naruto action scene?

Let's get this over with.

I ended up like that, the episodes had their moments but overall I disliked the way the plot turned out for this arc.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki 26 -END-

x6cbE.jpg

Eh.

So everyone gets a happy ending in the third world, even the second world, super-powered Minene, who shouldn't even be there.

Meanwhile, asshole God Yuki becomes a NEET for thousands of years.

The ending itself wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be after reading some impressions, but they really went off on a tangent with these last four episodes. Other than
Minene getting Deus' powers
, though, nothing felt too off. Everything else seemed planned right from the start, and
while Yuno realizing how fucked up she got after killing her parents and then finally redeeming herself was something I was expecting, the way they handled it was unexpected. I thought it was going to be an incredibly cringe-worthy moment, but in the end it was ok.

I was also positively surprised by the fact that they explained why Akise
was alive and well in the third world. I honestly thought they were just gonna show him together with the other kids, forgetting about the fact that the's an artificial entity.

The series was one hell of a ride. It's ugly and definitely not for everyone, but there are many who'd love it. Death Note fans, for example. It's full of intense moments, and although the first half was better than the second, I had fun the entire time.

Just don't think too much. I mean,
why would freaking Deus believe that a survival game would be the best way to choose his successor in the first place?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The first episode was fine! I bet you skipped Natsu no Arashi's first episode too. :(

To be fair, everyone skipped every episode of Natsu no Arashi.

Sure, there was a lot of convenient scene reuse in that show thanks to the
time travel
, but it was always spliced with new footage depending on
what was being altered in the past
and the subsequent consequences were always depicted. Arashi at least did a decent job of the mysteries actually being halfway mysterious, which made everything else tolerable. The same can't really be said for Dusk Maiden, which looped an entire half of an episode to "reveal" something that they were already telegraphing so hard that it was obvious what was going on ten seconds into the episode.

Madpierrot, can you post screenshots of when she shows up like you did with Isanami?

Done, but I probably would have anyway!

BluWacky

The same can't really be said for Dusk Maiden, which looped an entire half of an episode to "reveal" something that they were already telegraphing so hard that it was obvious what was going on ten seconds into the episode.

Part of me wonders why they'd bother with something like that. The audience for Dusk Maiden is essentially "people who read the manga" and "people who look up plot synopses before they watch anime". The likelihood of someone watching a show like this completely blind is slim to none. So why bother with a gimmick that relies on you knowing nothing about the show at all?

cajunator

Banned
Part of me wonders why they'd bother with something like that. The audience for Dusk Maiden is essentially "people who read the manga" and "people who look up plot synopses before they watch anime". The likelihood of someone watching a show like this completely blind is slim to none. So why bother with a gimmick that relies on you knowing nothing about the show at all?

Also, people who watch the show because they want to see ghost moe.

They're not going to "simulcast" an OVA. What are you smoking?

Well, they did simulcast Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas, which shocked me. I don't see that experiment happening for most any other OVAs, though.

My reasons for liking Tsuritama more are pretty obvious. The visuals are bright and colorful, and and the cheery nature if the show is addicting. It is in my opinion a better show overall in terms of content and "stuff happening", although to be fair both shows are kind of swimming in one place in general. I can tell stuff is about to happen in both shows that should prove to be more interesting. APollon is a gloomier show, and IMO doesn't really give the upbeat exciting feeling that Jazz is supposed to instill. Something doesnt feel right about it, although I can tell a lot of talent is behind the production of it. If APollon starts to change along with the music it will be pretty masterful and perhaps improve my personal interest in the show. The characters in Tsuritama are definitely more interesting thus far.

Essentially, the shows have two completely different moods. I don't think Kids on the Slope is worse for being a gloomier or more introspective show, and I don't really expect that to change. The tone it has right now is the tone it will continue to have. In my opinion, both shows are hitting their intended atmospheres perfectly. At some point, personal preference for visuals and atmosphere could influences one person's opinion on both shows to a high extent.

Defuser

Rick's Bread ep 4
A girl lay unconscious on the beach:

a)Bring and carry her to the doctor immediately.
b)Bring her to a nearby place and get a doctor.
c)Leave her there laying in the sand for hours while waiting for a doctor.

It's no brainer Rick and the others would choose C!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anime Central, probably. Apparently Nabeshin is there this year!

Man, that would have been so exciting ten years ago. Now I'd just want him to sign my dvd box of Nerima Daikon Bros so that I could get the $8 back on ebay that I spent on that vomit.

Steroyd

Rick's Bread - 03

Are Pirates's coming to invade your village?
Need a blackout to divert attention away?
Were you left stranded on a shore, with no recollection of anything but your name?

Then try Rick's bread, it will give you the courage to be brave during a blackout, and help you when you're bead ridden and falling in and out of consciuosness.

Jex

Apollon is a well-animated and directed anime about a love triangle (rectangle) with Jazz as important background.
But the coming out and love genre is so old and there are already so many shows and movies about it - espencially if you count non-animes.
This seems unreasonable considering how many other anime titles are also set in extremely well trodden fields and genres and by 'many other' I really mean 'the majority of anime'.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can only assume that a small portion of the audience who watch a KyoAni show are, themselves, interested in animation and maybe potential animators. It kind of makes sense to appeal to them.
Job recruitment tool?
Is it necessary to turn every discussion about anime into a binary "X is better than Y" argument? I mean, they're both very different shows with unique styles which execute their stories in interesting, enjoyable ways.
Nerds being nerds. We have to validate our opinions.
Wow, half a page of post I see... after such three days of spectacular football I find understandable your backlog on here, though.
It wasn't the football, it was you arseholes posting like horny rabbits. Read a book, people.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/reaction/rumitsubomiwhoa.gif
Needs more Erika.
Mirai Nikki 26 -END-
I think my problem with this story is that the world's rules are never truly concrete. They keep adding more and more extravagance and the story loses all sense of seriousness it may have had before, so all the drama in the last arc stops having any weight and becomes stupid (see
Minene becoming Son Goku
). So much wasted potential!

Jex

Have you heard of running behind on your production? It happens to many teams of people making anime!
24 hours until another episode of FATE/ZERO! OMG!!!!!

And then after that it's only 167 hours till the one after that!!!!

Yeah, she won't get a shirt back for a while. It's kind of interesting, though, that despite Lucy's CONSTANT fanservice, even in the manga she barely ever has pantyshots -- they're almost always averted despite her usual short skirts.

Erza gets the panty shots, as well as a giant arrow pointing at her crotch that Mashima probably forgot to erase from the rough drafts.

Part of AnimeGAF public beating of Medaka Box is, in my opinion, unfair compared to the shows that receive free pass, or are actually recommended as train-wrecks... maybe some of you consider this show to be bad but inoffensive at the same time, although even then there had to be prior good expectations for this series on your part to dislike it that much, no? Or maybe I'm not being sincere enough with myself.

Wow, half a page of post I see... after such three days of spectacular football I find understandable your backlog on here, though.

As much as I love Medaka Box, there really is very little in the opening episodes compelling enough to continue without knowing the drastic changes that are made. While I wouldn't call it bad per se, it is a rather generic Sket Dance-esq show and the odd standards of animegaf make it hard for them to give it a fair chance, especially in such a stacked season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom