• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
A show's presentation doesn't have to be upbeat and uplifting for jazz to fit. See: Cowboy Bebop.

While thats true, Cowboy Bebop wasn't a show ABOUT Jazz it was merely accompanied by it as background music. Also, there was a hell of a lot more upbeat atmosphere in Cowboy Bebop than in Apollon. I think it fit what cowboy Bebop was doing and Apollon, while it obviously can't do what CB did, should at least have some pretty lively scenes involving the Jazz. So far even those parts haven't really been that exciting yet.
Note I said YET because this can change in an episode.

Ryuukan

Its not a question of which is better, Apollon is a 12 course chef's tasting menu while Tsuritama is a kids meal with flute toy. Both are excellent for the appropriate audiences.

/XX/

I'm not going to say its good either, guys. I find that the show is a by-the-book adaptation, however I think it doesn't deserves some of the qualifiers used against. Something like... average describes it well.

O.K., maybe it is the respect I have towards GAiNAX what is talking in my behalf.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Its not a question of which is better, Apollon is a 12 course chef's tasting menu while Tsuritama is a kids meal with flute toy. Both are excellent for the appropriate audiences.
Must be a pretty lacking chef when a kid's meal is more well cooked and better presented.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not going to say its good either, guys. I find that the show is a by-the-book adaptation, however I think it doesn't deserves some of the qualifiers used against. Something like... average describes it well.

O.K., maybe it is the respect I have towards GAiNAX what is talking in my behalf.

Taken as a Gainax show, it looks even worse, because Gainax shows are a lot more zany than Medaka Box has been so far.

I think that's giving Apollon a bit too much credit and Tsuritama not enough.

I don't think you understood Bebop, my friend

Nah I think I understand it pretty well. Im saying its not specifically ABOUT the Jazz, whereas Apollon is.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sankarea 4

Hgeal.jpg

I thought Rea
would have a personality shift like Babu did after dying. But she hasn't changed at all.

This episode had a couple of questionable scenes (like the bath one), but it's still good stuff. 90% of the scenes Rea's father is in suck, though.

Next week we'll have some
forced yuri scenes,
huh?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sankarea 4
I thought Rea
would have a personality shift like Babu did after dying. But she hasn't changed at all.
This could be a case of Babu's baser instincts kicking in to preserve his body. Rea's desire to be a normal girl in spite of her changes lead to the changes leaving her lethargic and unable to act for the means of self preservation. I guess it could also be the difference of giving oneself over to death and being abruptly taken by it.
This episode had a couple of questionable scenes (like the bath one), but it's still good stuff. 90% of the scenes Rea's father is in suck, though.
Really? I quite love the impact he has on scenes. He's a great antagonist. I only hope that he continues to show up even though his role is likely to remain diminished.

cajunator

Banned
You already are.
I love food metaphors. Talk food to me.

Apollon is like crawfish etouffee. It is smooth and rich and delicious, but the appearance takes some getting used to.

Tsuritama is a lively seafood gumbo. Its colorful and also delicious, but it has some zing to it.

BluWacky

But you overestimate Apollon. I don't know why but maybe that's the difference if you watch just animes or not.

I think Apollon is pretty excellent by any standard of "teen drama", whether animated or live action. Are you talking about in comparison to J-drama, or Western films/TV series, or what exactly? I'd be interested to know what you are comparing Apollon to, as these more introspective high school shows are very different in my head to their Western equivalents. I would assume you don't mean to compare Apollon with something like, say, Glee, which at its core is a similar kind of show (high school drama where music is a key element).

cajunator

Banned
I think Apollon is pretty excellent by any standard of "teen drama", whether animated or live action. Are you talking about in comparison to J-drama, or Western films/TV series, or what exactly? I'd be interested to know what you are comparing Apollon to, as these more introspective high school shows are very different in my head to their Western equivalents. I would assume you don't mean to compare Apollon with something like, say, Glee, which at its core is a similar kind of show (high school drama where music is a key element).

Oh God. I like Glee actually, but please dont compare it to Apollon >_

Defuser

Sakamachi no Apollon ep 3
Did they cut some parts from the manga? Cause a sudden transition to one particular scene is quite jarring.

Anyways I love the jazz scene which they easily bury the hatchet.

Westlo

Taken as a Gainax show, it looks even worse, because Gainax shows are a lot more zany than Medaka Box has been so far.

Imaishi GAINAX would've been a nice fit for the best part of Medaka Box.... Of course GAINAX sucks now and that part won't ever get animated... I really wanted too see that massive double page wall of text introduction from that batshit insane yandere character too :(

cajunator

Banned
Sakamachi no Apollon ep 3
Did they cut some parts from the manga? Cause a sudden transition to one particular scene is quite jarring.

Anyways I love the jazz scene which they easily bury the hatchet.

I have yet to watch episode three but I really hope the show livens up a bit.

Brazil

Mirai Nikki 23

"They were probably right,
Yuno's the one that's been lying." Yeah, ok, but why the fuck didn't you figure that out before you shot and killed all your friends?

Three whole seconds. Nice, Yuki.

AXE IN THE BED!

And...
Time loops. I should've seen it coming. It's always time loops nowadays. And is that Historia Crux? Haha.

It makes sense, though. But three more episodes...?

This could be a case of Babu's baser instincts kicking in to preserve his body. Rea's desire to be a normal girl in spite of her changes lead to the changes leaving her lethargic and unable to act for the means of self preservation. I guess it could also be the difference of giving oneself over to death and being abruptly taken by it.

That makes sense.

Really? I quite love the impact he has on scenes. He's a great antagonist. I only hope that he continues to show up even though his role is likely to remain diminished.

I don't like the metaphorical scenes he's always in, like the one in the beginning of this episode. Scenes like those need to be incredibly well-directed to properly impact me. Usually, they just annoy me.

He's definitely a good antagonist, though. He's pretty hateable.

wonzo

Banned
mother of all genki posts
rumitsubomiwhoa.gif

Mars of Destruction

Holy fucking amazing.

The derp. the terrible "animation". The violence. The completely confusing editing. The ....classical music?

Well this actually could have had potential as a full series actually, but instead its a waste. The twist at the end is interesting. The girls are decently cute but I think one doesn't find Madoka Magica to be funny at all.

Overall, I loved how horrible this was.
it's always good to see people appreciating such an incredible work.

this looks like it has potential so i'll keep an eye out for it.

steindogate.gif

Steroyd

I thought the first episode was rather zany, than each episode it cuts back to the point where they can't be bothered animating Shiranui's ahoge anymore. :<

Brazil

Mirai Nikki 24

Ahahaha. The train. Why the hell
would a train be working at times like these? ;_;

How the hell can Yuki say he
"truly cared for her" when he pissed his pants every single time she was around?

And now Minene has super powers.
Why do these guys always lose their minds trying to create epic conclusions? They should learn to chill and keep it real.

Well, at least there were hints pointing to this since the beginning, and this way we get
more Minene.

This guy. Ugh.

/XX/

MADHOUSE might be dead, but their forgotten works will always outlive them; HELLS, movie adaptation of the HELLS ANGELS graphic novel, and work of upcoming Little Busters! director Yoshiki Yamakawa... is going to be released on Blu-ray after being ignored for years! See it for yourself:

Amazon.co.jp&#65306; HELLS Blu-ray: &#23665;&#24029;&#21513;&#27193;, &#31119;&#22291;&#32654;&#37324;, &#27810;&#22478;&#12415;&#12422;&#12365;, &#23736;&#23614;&#12384;&#12356;&#12377;&#12369;, &#26408;&#20869;&#31168;&#20449;, &#12481;&#12519;&#12540;, &#37326;&#27810;&#38597;&#23376;, &#31435;&#26408;&#25991;&#24422;: DVD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007VML3VK/

A little reminder with a trailer, courtesy of CATSUKA (http://www.catsuka.com/player/hells_angels_trailer).

I thought the first episode was rather zany, than each episode it cuts back to the point where they can't be bothered animating Shiranui's ahoge anymore. :<
Yep, they are not very regular or bold enough with it, and the first episode was the best example of this... but some of the traits particular people gave to late GAiNAX are still there, even coming from the studio's veteran directors and the young trained staff; angular and dynamic stances with very punctual and precise movements to convey the action, coupled with their style on those fast pans, zooms and motion lines proper of their digital photography section since Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Add to this the occasional presence of some GAiNAX habitual people like Mr. Amemiya and we could see some good moments throughout the series.

Brazil

Mirai Nikki 25

Oh, why are you doing this to me, Yuki?
How is turning Yuno into the second world's god "the only option left"? You're not making any sense at all!

Owl noises, bwahahaha. And Yuno laying the truth bare.

"Do birds wonder why they fly?" Nice way to avoid the question, mister author.

Was that a Naruto action scene?

Let's get this over with.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
While thats true, Cowboy Bebop wasn't a show ABOUT Jazz it was merely accompanied by it as background music. Also, there was a hell of a lot more upbeat atmosphere in Cowboy Bebop than in Apollon. I think it fit what cowboy Bebop was doing and Apollon, while it obviously can't do what CB did, should at least have some pretty lively scenes involving the Jazz. So far even those parts haven't really been that exciting yet.
Note I said YET because this can change in an episode.

You must realize that jazz isn't confined to music.

Has the mountain taught you nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom