• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Madpierrot, can you post screenshots of
imK1o.png
when she shows up like you did with Isanami?

Natsuiro Kiseki 2 - Only minutely weaker than the first episode, episode two of Natsuiro Kiseki was still pretty good. I definitely like this show, the concept and execution are good, and the characters are strong and work great together. This is a good show. Natsuiro is cute but classy, believable but fantastic, good at both comedy and drama, and just all around good fun.

I want to start with saying, though, that the decision to have the episode start with one and a half minutes of Natsumi and neighbors doing radio exorcizes was a bit boring. Sure, I got the idea, but ... no, it was kind of dull. Fortunately the actual episode was better.

So, in this episode, the mysteries of what that giant rock can do are explored... much to Saki and Natsumi's distreses. Oh Yuka, you jerk... always coming up with sketchy ideas. :lol

Yeah, Saki and Natsumi are still angry at eachother. I think Natsumi has a point, but Saki's unhappiness and unwillingness to tell them does make sense, even if it isn't an excuse. Both of their mothers, and of course Yuka and Rinko, want them to make up and be friends again, but it's not going to be so easy. So, that's where the rock comes in. While wasting time (skipping out from helping with her family's inn), Yuka comes up with a thought. Rinko agrees, and because they happen to be at the rock, Saki and Natsumi's day is about to get a whole lot more interesting. :p

Specifically, they think "Saki and Natsumi together are unstoppable", which creates a wish which sticks the two together, so they must be touching at all times, until the wish is fulfilled. Given how angry they were with eachother, they were not thrilled. It was pretty amusing stuff. :)

Fortunately though, they eventually manage to figure out how to work together, after some trial and error, and decide to chase down Yuka and Rinko. Once they find them, though, the two realize what happened and take off. Don't run, your misdeeds will eventually catch up to you! :) Cue chase scene, as Natsumi and Saki chase Yuka and Rinko. The latter two obviously have it easier, but the former two are much more athletic, so it's a close race, particularly as the two get good at doing stuff like jumping over barriers together. In the end, of course, they manage to catch the tiring pair. Rinko admits what happened, but tired Yuka seems like she's about to run into the sea...
Of course Natsumi and Saki go to stop her, but what happened next was unexpected, and funny. Hah, so that finally got them to think on the same line, and let them separate because that was a part of the full wish?
Good job, I guess, Yuka, if entirely inadvertently. Also, I won't spoil exactly what happened, but as I said, the ending to that scene was amusing and not exactly what I expected. :)

Also, near the end, one of Natsumi's brothers friends claims to have seen something strange, and on another note Yuka and Rinko are due some payback, I think. :) Hmm, what will happen next? So, overall, good episode for sure. As I said ep. 1 was a bit better, but this was certainly good too. It was more about comedy this time, and the show's unique elements, but both worked well, and the friendship issue was even (mostly) resolved too! Progress indeed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medaka Box 04
7sQV7.jpg

I stopped watching halfway through to go get a glass of water. When I got back it took me maybe ten minutes to remember I had even been watching this show. The Medaka Box is a garbage pail.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

:(

You haven't seen anything until you've seen this version of it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Unbelievable.

The problem is that not many people liked the genre shift at first... and it only really became a hit once it hit the arc after the change.... which tweaked the prior formula and introduced a lot of great characters (Kumagawa Box ftw) which won't get animated even if the show is split cour.

In other words, read the manga, since whoever cleared this to air in this manner has no fucking clue as to why the manga is popular.

I'll put it on my list. I wonder when they'll start releasing the manga here.

Just finished Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

;___________________________________;

Nothing else to say.

I need to get back to that. The first episode was interesting.

Jex

Before that show was being advertised, I had never heard of Sphere. After the show started running, I now have no interest in knowing anything more about Sphere. Seems like a pretty shitty marketing attempt when you take an idol unit and shoehorn them into a boring drama with no real distinctive qualities, and doesn't leverage on any of the actual appeal or talents of the group (is there any?).

It's a painful, pointless experience for everyone involved. People that I don't care about take part in a boring show that no-one wants to see.

Jex

...why would you need to mass market Kyoto Animation? It would be like making a random commercial for Dreamworks Studio that airs during the Kung Fu Panda cartoons.

I can only assume that a small portion of the audience who watch a KyoAni show are, themselves, interested in animation and maybe potential animators. It kind of makes sense to appeal to them.

Jarmel

Banned
I can only assume that a small portion of the audience who watch a KyoAni show are, themselves, interested in animation and maybe potential animators. It kind of makes sense to appeal to them.

They're obviously trying to build up name recognition so when they do the FMP sequel, people will buy on the name alone.

duckroll

Wait, I'm out of the loop. Is this theater-only for now with a home release several months later (like a movie), or is it more like Gundam Unicorn with the OAV being available at the same time?

They have not said. But I would say the latter is likely. They are doing something similar with Yamato 2199 too.

Jex

Tsuritama > Apollon in general.

Although Apollon is certainly good.

Is it necessary to turn every discussion about anime into a binary "X is better than Y" argument? I mean, they're both very different shows with unique styles which execute their stories in interesting, enjoyable ways.

I don't have a problem with anyone who says they prefer one to other other, although I would find it interesting to here your reasons behind that rather than just 'I prefer Tsuritama in general'.

Jex

Sankarea 4

So apart from the opening scene, this is a pretty severe drop in quality. The visual interest is mostly gone, the editing is lazy, and the zombie scenario goes in some icky directions that are awkwardly handled. It didn't really do a great job of selling the chemistry between the central couple, unlike the earlier scenes in the abandoned building. In the end, it's kind of dull. Probably won't keep following this. If Shinichi Omata directs another show, hopefully it's not with DEEN. Better source material would be nice too.

That's very disappointing news, although it is hardly surprising considering the source material and overall plot.

/XX/

Part of AnimeGAF public beating of Medaka Box is, in my opinion, unfair compared to the shows that receive free pass, or are actually recommended as train-wrecks... maybe some of you consider this show to be bad but inoffensive at the same time, although even then there had to be prior good expectations for this series on your part to dislike it that much, no? Or maybe I'm not being sincere enough with myself.

Wow, half a page of post I see... after such three days of spectacular football I find understandable your backlog on here, though.

cajunator

Banned
Part of AnimeGAF public beating of Medaka Box is, in my opinion, unfair compared to the shows that receive free pass, or are actually recommended as train-wrecks... maybe some of you consider this show to be bad but inoffensive at the same time, although even then there had to be prior good expectations for this series on your part to dislike it that much, no? Or maybe I'm not being sincere enough with myself.

Wow, half a page of post I see... after such three days of spectacular football I find understandable your backlog on here, though.

I'm not browbeating Medaka Box. I just don't find it to be that engaging considering the currently airing competition it's got. Hansode is god-tier and Medaka is a likeable character but there is little else in the show that makes it anything other than a run-of-the-mill sort of anime. Maybe once that genre-shift happens...

Is it necessary to turn every discussion about anime into a binary "X is better than Y" argument? I mean, they're both very different shows with unique styles which execute their stories in interesting, enjoyable ways.

I don't have a problem with anyone who says they prefer one to other other, although I would find it interesting to here your reasons behind that rather than just 'I prefer Tsuritama in general'.

My reasons for liking Tsuritama more are pretty obvious. The visuals are bright and colorful, and and the cheery nature if the show is addicting. It is in my opinion a better show overall in terms of content and "stuff happening", although to be fair both shows are kind of swimming in one place in general. I can tell stuff is about to happen in both shows that should prove to be more interesting. APollon is a gloomier show, and IMO doesn't really give the upbeat exciting feeling that Jazz is supposed to instill. Something doesnt feel right about it, although I can tell a lot of talent is behind the production of it. If APollon starts to change along with the music it will be pretty masterful and perhaps improve my personal interest in the show. The characters in Tsuritama are definitely more interesting thus far.

Steroyd

It's wierd, because those who have read the manga are saying it gets better at a later part or are talking up the gnere shift which may or may not be animated, you have those who are watching it for the first time, which to be honest the first 4 episodes has very little to grip you into watching more, and then you have a little group (me included) is watching it for a side character for the trolling and her hair.

cajunator

Banned
It's wierd, because those who have read the manga are saying it gets better at a later part or are talking up the gnere shift which may or may not be animated, you have those who are watching it for the first time, which to be honest the first 4 episodes has very little to grip you into watching more, and then you have a little group (me included) is watching it for a side character for the trolling and her hair.

But what a magnificent little side character she is!

dimb

Sankarea 04
This was an episode I was worried about going in to. Both because of the expectations for the future of the show and the impressions in this thread. I was surprised to find that the episode was still fairly strong, although not exactly up to the standard set by the previous three.
Cuts were okay between things. Perhaps too subtle in certain cases to really be as effective as they should be. Things like the cut to the sewing box here after the background info on sewing just don't focus heavily enough on the transition for it to be effective enough. There's some other interesting stuff though. Like after the scene near the river when the show needs to get back to Rea they show multiple shots progressively returning to the house across the town. It not only helps create that distance between Rea and Furuya, but it also factors into the world building this show has done so well. There are other little touches to that effect as well with rain drops on windows from the last episode.
hjDnf.jpg

This shot. Dear god. Rea is one of the zombies Furuya is so obsessed with.
Passage of time was also handled well. The shift to night is subtle but noticeable, and the updates by clock help ground that within the world. Time passing is actually really important to this episode in terms of the plot, but it's also the kind of thing that isn't really noticeable. The amount of thought put into the construction of the show is just really impressive in a way I find super admirable.
There are a few questionable scenes. Particularly the ones at the riverbank and in the bathroom, which both just feel off. When they come together in the episode it kind of shows up as this big splotch that mars the quality of the whole episode. The back and forth between Rea and Furuya that cut to the masks and dolls also fell pretty flat. They were going for something with their cinematography, but it was just way off the mark.

I am still largely happy with how this show is turning out, and I'm less worried about this show just falling on its face after the opener. This is really shaping up to be a very cohesive work with a good amount of carefully constructed visual work that ties in well to the story itself.

cajunator

Banned
Tsuritama also looks better.

It does. although like Jex said that part is subjective and both shows look the way they are intended to. APollon is supposed to be more realistic in appearance, while Tsuritama is a sunny, summer type of anime. What I'm hoping for is for APollon to do something with the appearance of the show as the Jazz starts going. Making it a bit livelier or more colorful as Mr Emo snaps out of his funk and starts to enjoy life.

Apollon is a well-animated and directed anime about a love triangle (rectangle) with Jazz as important background.
But the coming out and love genre is so old and there are already so many shows and movies about it - espencially if you count non-animes.

Tsuritma is in all its elements fresh and unique. It's more like watching something for the first time instead of watching a new interpretation.

Shining Hearts - 03

- mecha girl
- pirates with ironclad warships

what the hell?

and for Cajun

cajunator

Banned
I'm also not saying Apollon is particularly boring or bad, just that I prefer Tsuritama.
Putting Tsuritama over it is more of praise to it than a damning of APollon.

dimb

There are a number of shows people have dug into this season. Medaka Box is terrible in a manner that feels entirely bland and lazy, so even making fun of it doesn't warrant much more than, "Yeah, this was pretty shit."

I had semi-okay things to say about the third episode though.

cajunator

Banned
Medaka isn't so bad that its with the likes of the masterfully bad like Glass Fleet or Yami, so the only way to redeem it is if its good, which it also isn't. Its stuck in that rut of "I'll watch it if I have the time after the other shows" and thats pretty dangerous territory for an anime.

Apollon is a well-animated and directed anime about a love triangle (rectangle) with Jazz as important background.
But the coming out and love genre is so old and there are already so many shows and movies about it - espencially if you count non-animes.

Tsuritma is in all its elements fresh and unique. It's more like watching something for the first time instead of watching a new interpretation.

Shining Hearts - 03

- mecha girl
- pirates with ironclad warships

what the hell?

and for Cajun

Much appreciated that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom