• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I didn't watch any anime today because...

Abenjāzu

HOLY SHIIIII-

No, I'm just kidding. But it's awesome. Go watch it.

Now back to Code Geass.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Wait, what did I miss?

Hz25E.gif

Holy shit. I see you guys have been having fun too.

cajunator

Banned
Milky Holmes is the kind of super cute show I should be watching. If my backlist wasnt so ridiculous I'd throw it on the pile. Maybe a bit later.

I know, I mean... I love Hnnngazawa Kanna and all but she can't do a fake "guy" voice to save her life! >>; At least Yuka Iguchi can pull off a voice that sounds like a effeminate man.

Yeah Kana is way too [redacted] to fool us with her voice.

Totally ineffective.

Articalys

Hyouka 2

As usual, being late to the party means any praise or criticism would just be repeating what others have mentioned, so I'll simply say that this show is now easily at the top of my weekly anticipation list.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Took a break from the BWE of Guild Wars 2 to start up another show.

Taisho Baseball Girls 1-3
IfwGx.png

6yMHn.png

9ILx8.png

Been loving it so far. Forgot who recommended this one (firehawk I'm guessing) but thank you. :D

Their homeroom teacher is so damn cool.

cajunator

Banned

IfwGx.png

6yMHn.png

9ILx8.png

Been loving it so far. Forgot who recommended this one (firehawk I'm guessing) but thank you. :D

I'm pretty sure it was me.

Cause nobody else wants to watch it :(

n/m firehawk did mention it. good so at least two of us seemed to like it.

I probably should care about the GW2 beta, considering that I played over a thousand hours of the first game, including like 200 hours of the betas before the game's release, but I just can't bring myself to at all... it's too different from the first game from everything I've seen, and too much like a standard MMO.

http://i.imgur.com/IfwGx.png
http://i.imgur.com/6yMHn.png
http://i.imgur.com/9ILx8.png

Great show. Definitely worth watching. I only wish that there were more songs like that awesome beginning of the first episode, though... too bad.

*applause*

Your post makes me feel less guilty about my wall of text reviews.
I've written some somewhat long posts myself, but it wouldn't have taken quite as long to get myself to actually put that whole thing together if it was just text. Pictures take so much longer...

Milky Holmes is the kind of super cute show I should be watching. If my backlist wasnt so ridiculous I'd throw it on the pile. Maybe a bit later.
No, it's the kind of super-cute show you should have been watching already. Milky Holmes is a great franchise. Pick it up, today! :)

Well, quite the reminder that I still have one more season of those silly, suffering girls to go!
Just consider the great later parts of the season as a reward for suffering through the first two pretty weak episodes.

Yeah Kana is way too [redacted] to fool us with her voice.

Totally ineffective.

You should move it up your list. It's modern, it's super cute. And in a different way from Yami, also pretty fucking batshit crazy.

Also a farewell salute to the ice of the creams.

fresh_loli-su-006a4fabc2044d476f7243224363f62d.jpg

live long and pros...loli.

You've been pimping this out and people aren't watching it?

Too busy running through OTs to watch good anime I see. Shameful, but not unexpected.

Aw man, and what happened to icecream? D=

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Yeah I wasn't sure who did. Nice to see it has some fans though.

Man i been playing that all day
its about to end though :(

Yeah unfortunately. Chilling in Hoelbrak right now waiting for this "special" event to take place. Didn't get to play as much as I wanted to today but I'm glad with where I'm at. Got my guardian up to lvl 26 and got a thief up to lvl 8.

I probably should care about the GW2 beta, considering that I played over a thousand hours of the first game, including like 200 hours of the betas before the game's release, but I just can't bring myself to at all... it's too different from the first game from everything I've seen, and too much like a standard MMO.

I don't see how you can call it a standard MMO when they're doing everything they can not to be (dynamic events, ridding players of the 'holy trinity', etc). I'm not one of those defense force people as I do have my own complaints, but it 'supposedly' being a generic MMO is not one of them. :)

Uchip

Banned
I don't see how you can call it a standard MMO when they're doing everything they can not to be (dynamic events, ridding players of the 'holy trinity', etc). I'm not one of those defense force people as I do have my own complaints, but it 'supposedly' being a generic MMO is not one of them. :)

Yeah, there's not much in common with like WoW
cant stay still for a second or you're dead in pvp (being lvl 80 with all the skills straight away through me for a loop)

Jex

Revolutionary Girl Utena 38

Man, this is probably the last time I'll get to see the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse sequence.

Elements from the Black Rose arc show up here and there.

Anthy stabbing Utena is one of those shocking twists that's entered into the collective consciousness of fandom and become know to most everyone through osmosis, in this case by 1999 or so. Nice to finally have the context for it.

This makes me glad I have nothing to with the "fandom".

Jex

Space Bros 5

I really don't get the use of language in this show. Are they speaking English? Japanese? Both? I know you can't do a show about space travel without either setting it in America or China, but I think there should be some indication of what language they're speaking so that it doesn't seem unnatural. Even a "Mr. and Mrs Smith, your Japanese is excellent" would be helpful. Although that doesn't explain why the kids playing in the park would would Japanese... but eh.

Then there's stuff like that... which might be on purpose because one of the errors is pointed out, but not the others. So I suppose either they're bad students, they're Aunt was a bad teacher, or this is just acceptable English in Japan.

I know this is such nitpicky bullshit, but if a show is supposed to invoke some sense of verisimilitude (ie, they're actually in America and in 2025, Americans have not adopted Japanese as an official language), then asking for a little more effort (I hear there are people in Japan who localize Japanese games into English that they could probably hire, for example) isn't that unreasonable.

Of course, the reality is that this show isn't for a foreign audience and the typical Japanese viewer probably doesn't give a shit. But it'd be nice if they went the extra mile to make something perfect or at least internally consistent for the people who might notice these things.

That all sounds like a lot of hard work for very little reward. It also sounds like Engrish everywhere.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, I recommended it for the yuri-quotient. lol

That all sounds like a lot of hard work for very little reward. It also sounds like Engrish everywhere.
Right. I readily admit that it's only foreign audiences that would be bothered by it... but unfortunately, that's the only frame of reference I have when I watch the show.

They removed the instanced overworld, and replaced it with one where everyone's in the same zones together, waiting for the same infinite stream of monsters to respawn, etc. Guild Wars was NOT like that -- as long as you were in a zone, monster deaths were permanent, and you could clear out a zone. I love that feature, and the instanced overworld, they make it feel much more like a single player RPG and not just another constant-respawn MMO... but from the time it was announced all those years ago it has been clear that GW2 was designed more to try to attract WoW and other MMO players than to be true to what made Guild Wars 1 so unique, I think. I mean, didn't they even add in the ability to switch skillsets while in the field? Come on, that cuts back on strategy for sure. They increased the max level from 20 to 80 too, presumably just so people playing other MMOs can see more numbers increase; in GW you hit 20 fairly early on (though how fast it was depended on which campaign you started in; in Factions it was really quick, in Prophecies quite a bit slower), and then spent the entire rest of the game at that level...

I admit, I haven't played it yet (combination of not really caring, as I said, and not having a decent working videocard right now).

Jex

Right. I readily admit that it's only foreign audiences that would be bothered by it... but unfortunately, that's the only frame of reference I have when I watch the show.

Certainly, although films pull that same kind of shit all the time.

Jex

Hyouka 2
The mystery in this episode nearly put me to sleep. I hope this show is going somewhere.
Hyouka - 02

Great animations and backgrounds. And Ritsu's brother is perfect bro material. But the other characters and the mysteries are so forgettable. I don't say it's bad or something but only the technical aspects of the show are outstanding.
Hyouka 2

However, the content of the "plot" and characterization still keeps me with a straight face.

Anyways, Eru still gets soggy over stupid potential mysteries. Our main man is still always looking as bored as I am when watching. Hoping the new girl, Ibara, will add some needed flavor to the cast. Unfortunately, she didn't really, but she's a counterbalance to doe-eyed Eru, so that's a start.

I'll keep watching, though a show of character or mystery that can get me actually invested in the show would be nice.
Hyouka 2

I can't fathom why anyone would find anything interesting about any of these "mysteries". They're so banal that I'm actively discouraged from figuring them out myself because really, who gives a shit? Maybe what Eru has to say to Oreki will be interesting but at this point I really doubt it. She seems like the most easily amused person in the world. The production values are still great and there were some nice composition in some shot but I can't even really give a shit about that stuff when the content is so boring.

Sounds to be as boring as Nichijou.
If Hyouka was done by anyone else and looked like a normal show people would treat it like Natsuiro Kiseki. It's actively bad plot wise. Scooby Doo has better mysteries because you can at least sometimes guess how they'll end.

If it was done by anyone else it wouldn't look so good, so of course it would be talked about differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom