• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

LOL, Mamoru Hatakeyama storyboarded the latest episode of Sankarea again. Is he going to try to storyboard the entire show?

Ultimadrago

For me the eyecatches are what I like least in the show, stills inbetween do nothing for me. It might have helped if there was some fanfare inbetween.

Man, eyecatches are the stuff!

Slayers (with its derpy art), Gurren Lagaan's (dem lens flares), Sailor Moon (with its...sailor mooniness), it's aaall gooood.

Ones I have been seeing lately though are lacking (sans Apollon and Lupin).

Branduil

Well, then get into the inherent issues with the plot. What's wrong with it? Keyshit just has to do with the kind of sometimes overwrought melodrama that can come out of their scenarios; unabashed and blatant heatstring pulling. Clearly you don't like that. That's fine. But I can tell you why in many ways Keyshit is objectively brilliant writing in its execution and how Angel Beat's pacing is a textbook case of how to do it right.

Well, this should be amusing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
But on that same level, those pages in the last thread scrutinizing ONE scene in Accel World for where there was some question as to the shape of the toilet, and the soft implications that the show was bad for it, that's nitpicking. I don't care about your tastes, you're being ludicrous.
Pointing out the extreme failure of what seems to be a complete lack of any attempt at layout design is not nitpicking. Please educate yourself.

Solune

It seems I wasn't very clear...
That seems like a weird thing to comment on, let alone complain about. I mean, it's just an eye catch!
Well I only made a comment when they were brought up!
Man, eyecatches are the stuff!

Slayers (with its derpy art), Gurren Lagaan's (dem lens flares), Sailor Moon (with its...sailor mooniness), it's aaall gooood.

Ones I have been seeing lately though are lacking (sans Apollon and Lupin).

I meant that the eyecatches in Apollon are lacking to me. They aren't animated, there's no fanfare, quite frankly the eyecatches in Apollon are bland.

Ultimadrago

It seems I wasn't very clear... I meant that the eyecatches in Apollon are lacking to me. They aren't animated, there's no fanfare, quite frankly the eyecatches in Apollon are bland.

Ooh, I thought you meant eyecatches in general.

I read it as "For me eyecatches are what I like least in a show" *Skimming is bad*

My bad. As for Apollon's eyecatches, fanfare is lacking, far enough from the best overall, but they're well illustrated.

I didnt know there were more than two/three of us watching Kimi to Boku, nice. Really hope Chizuru makes some progress on this plot thread by the end of the anime.

Sankarea 03
GUoSN.jpg

Huh, I really did like the visual direction this episode went. I liked all the different ways the characters were shown, through mirrors, walking in between the houses, all nice touches.

I really do want to see where this show will go from now. I am pretty much saying this after every episode to boot.

Well, then get into the inherent issues with the plot. What's wrong with it? Keyshit just has to do with the kind of sometimes overwrought melodrama that can come out of their scenarios; unabashed and blatant heatstring pulling. Clearly you don't like that. That's fine. But I can tell you why in many ways Keyshit is objectively brilliant writing in its execution and how Angel Beat's pacing is a textbook case of how to do it right.

Opinions are fine, but act like they're opinions and discuss what you don't like about them, not about what makes them "bad".
iq3HnbXkX4p9v.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Ano Natsu 12

I was so happy seeing Kaito all emo and depressed cause his alien girl ditched him and then I got to the last scene. Worst anime of the decade

Outside of few pacing issues where I thought it was boring and some dumb alien stuff, it was decent. It's definitely watchable and didn't jump the shark as fast as Ano Hana, but it didn't have as much of an interesting plot and characters as Ano Hana

Oh yeah, they should do some spinoff series with Lemon fighting aliens

Haha, yes!!
I was going to mention that you would enjoy the last scene a lot, but thought I would leave you to experience it in it's full glory!

*sips tea* :)

Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 3:
Not quite as strong as the first two episodes. It's still certainly a good show, but it felt like a bit of a letdown after the strong character work we saw in the second episode. The story just felt a little too simple to me. It worked well enough, but I hope we see more episodes like 2 rather than this one the rest of the way.

It's doomed1. That's all you really need to know.

Theonik

Lupin III: Episode III no SamuraIII friendo no apparento tit-lessu
An interesting episode, they got the "samurai coolness" just right on this one and a good way to introduce Goemon,
it was interesting how they developed him from a simple assassin to reveal he's more honour bound than the initial appearance might imply
however was still not as elaborate as Episode 2 was. The titular character didn't seem to play that much of an integral role on the story this time which is an interesting change of focus. While last episode was Jigen focused Fujiko still played a huge role whereas here
she posed as a teacher for the greater part of the episode only playing the undercover thief card at the very end of the epi... OMG TITS!
With this done I hope they now turn focus to huge ridiculous heists like the first episode, and show us how Lupin, Jigen and Goemon meet. So far their only link is Fujiko so it doesn't feel unlikely that she could be a catalyst in their introduction in the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
With this done I hope they now turn focus to huge ridiculous heists like the first episode, and show us how Lupin, Jigen and Goemon meet. So far their only link is Fujiko so it doesn't feel unlikely that she could be a catalyst in their introduction in the show.

From my small knowledge of Lupin I know that Lupin and Jigen don't meet Goemon until early into the original series (basically well after Lupin and Jigen meet), but I expect this series to play fast and loose with canon and it would be a wasted opportunity not to see them all together anyway. If the finale isn't a series of stills drawn on napkins, I'm sure it'll end in spectacular fashion with everyone involved.

That seems like a weird thing to comment on, let alone complain about. I mean, it's just an eye catch!

Sometimes eyecatches can be distracting from the rest of the show if done poorly. They're not technically eyecatches, but on a similar note I'm finding that the "poko" stills between scenes in Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru get on my nerves, and the voice, art, sound effects, and writing don't fit with everything around it. A blight on what is otherwise an excellent show.

Sankarea 03

Our budding necrophiliac finally has his waifu! :3

I hope her father goes to jail, or kills himself or something. He is disgusting.

Branduil

Sometimes eyecatches can be distracting from the rest of the show if done poorly. They're not technically eyecatches, but on a similar note I'm finding that the "poko" stills between scenes in Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru get on my nerves, and the voice, art, sound effects, and writing don't fit with everything around it. A blight on what is otherwise an excellent show.

Those are definitely the worst SHAFT-isms in the show.

Jex

Yeah, those were annoying and bizarre, but I haven't really come across any that distract me from the rest of the show. That would take quite a lot of work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan 1

I was expecting something awful. What I got was boring. The ED was probably the only redeeming thing about this show. Worst aspect would have to be the trio of laughter. Some how these three girls laughing together grates the ears. Doesn't help that it was always that typical conclusion laughter (complete with a camera pan up) after an incident that can't even be described as mildly amusing. Probably won't feel bad if I forget to watch episode 2.

Theonik

From my small knowledge of Lupin I know that Lupin and Jigen don't meet Goemon until early into the original series (basically well after Lupin and Jigen meet), but I expect this series to play fast and loose with canon and it would be a wasted opportunity not to see them all together anyway. If the finale isn't a series of stills drawn on napkins, I'm sure it'll end in spectacular fashion with everyone involved.
Yes, I'm generally not a huge fan of breaching canon but this is one of the cases where I think it's almost obligatory. Would be a huge wasted opportunity not to do it if you're going to bother introducing all 3 characters and an apparent link between them as well. But if they don't do it or do something like say, have all 3 involved in a heist but not necessarily meet. Like secret competitors of sort. That would also work.

Jex

[Tsuritama - 2] a.k.a please stop drugging me, you monster

Well, I am pleased to report that this weeks outing has lost none of the charm or eccentric energy of the opening episode.

In some ways this show resembles Nakamura's other works which are generally directed in a peculiar, noticeable fashion, largely because of the editing which constantly draws attention to itself. Nakamura isn't a stranger to weird, outsider characters either. However, some of his earlier work has a more sedate, measures quality to it where as this show is racing along like a roller-coaster. It's interesting to see the same creative techniques applied to a story with such a different, goofy tone.

To bring up something /XX/ said earlier, I really like how the editing in the first half of the episode seeks to anchor the audience to Yuki's perspective. It's often the case in film that the audience is observing a story from some kind of god like perch where it's possible to observe all the major story and character developments. The fist half of this episode eschews this 'floating observer' idea and instead ties our perspective into Yuik's so that we can directly understand how it feels to live under the influence of the water gun. This makes the later scenes where Yuki talks to Haru about the gun far more effective than it would have been otherwise. I can see why some people might not like that approach, because it's fairly discombobulating, but I feel that is the point.

Anyhoo, it looks like all the major players are out now, even those ones with terrible fashion sense, so I am interested to see what happens next. I imagine it will involve fishing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Eureka 7: Astral Ocean 02
RXTDp.jpg

This show seems like it could really be something. This episode holds to the strong pacing of the first, and the action was pretty strong. I would've liked to have seen some of the potential ramifications that the massively destructive fight had on the island though. I hate to bring up Rinne no Legrange but it did some of that stuff really well, and the trail effects off robots Legrange used really outclasses AO's weird CG scribbles.

Ultimadrago

I was expecting something awful. What I got was boring. The ED was probably the only redeeming thing about this show. Worst aspect would have to be the trio of laughter. Some how these three girls laughing together grates the ears. Doesn't help that it was always that typical conclusion laughter (complete with a camera pan up) after an incident that can't even be described as mildly amusing. Probably won't feel bad if I forget to watch episode 2.

Did you enjoy the aroma of Rick's Bread?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the moment I saw Haru's sister, I realized this show would be about Yuki trying to save the world by catching some leviathan-esque fish or something.

Rick's Delicious Bread 02
26vO7.jpg

We can make fruits and vegetables look good too.
Bread, bread, bread. There's a storm, so it's bread time!
At least it does look like next week the summary of the show actually kicks in. But, who cares about that. We got bread!

survivor

Banned
Kimi ni Todoke 1

Kazehaya is Jesus isn't he?

I never knew this anime was from Sawako's perspective. I know it's probably given since it's a shoujo but it never occurred to me before I watched it. I love Sawako's faces, they are cute and funny. Don't know why all her classmates are such dicks to her. She doesn't really look like a ghost.

Jex

People are joking about the bread because that's the only interesting thing to talk about. I mean, it's a show about a dude who bakes.

Now, if there was some kind of hot-blooded baking competition..

Particularly when he's doing so well with what I'd imagine would be a very big workload.

Just to recap, he directed the OP, ED, and episode 1, storyboarded all of that plus episodes 2 and 3, brought in some non-DEEN staff to help, most notably with its background art, and kept a lid on the mediocre DEEN personnel involved (including Hiroshi Watanabe on color design - bleck!). What a guy!

Jex

Just to recap, he directed the OP, ED, and episode 1, storyboarded all of that plus episodes 2 and 3, brought in some non-DEEN staff to help, most notably with its background art, and kept a lid on the mediocre DEEN personnel involved (including Hiroshi Watanabe on color design - bleck!). What a guy!

I fear for what the show will look like once he dies from exhaustion.

No, seriously, I'm concerned. What will an episode look like when he doesn't work on it? I hope it holds together.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ginga e Kickoff! 02
Erika's favourite player is Cristiano Ronaldo. :X Waifu disappointmenton total.

Very much liking the focus on women's football this is getting. All the girls are really cute. My only complaint is that the music isn't very good and does not fit a football animu at all.
Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, and Xavi?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ginga e Kickoff! 02

Erika's favourite player is Cristiano Ronaldo. :X Waifu disappointmenton total.

Very much liking the focus on women's football this is getting. All the girls are really cute. My only complaint is that the music isn't very good and does not fit a football animu at all.

I really need to check this show out.
Cristiano Ronaldo? Really Erika? Smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom