• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Fujiko - 3]

Well, I can understand where most people are coming from when they talk about this episode. It's certainly a step down compared down compares to the previous two in just about every department.

I don't think there's anything particularly memorable about the story or the side character who fill it out, although there's nothing wrong with Fujiko and Goemon. I just don't really know what they were trying to do with this episode. What's it all about? Beyond just introducing Goemon and having him meet Fujiko, what is the meat of the plot? The fact that they meet and talk, quite a bit, has nothing to do with the major events of the episode e.g.
the train sabotage
. There's this vague antagonist who we never learn much about and who doesn't actually square of against the protagonist - that's not very compelling. Neither is the action sequence in towards the end which has zero tension because the direction doesn't really build it up at all.

Let's not forget the worst part of this episode either. The decision to have an episode of this adult Lupin show centre on annoying brats, eugh.

FujikoMine31.jpg

I didn't like the pacing much either, the scene transitions felt weird whenever they cut to the map and nothing really felt weighty. Of course, there wasn't a lot of animation to talk about either, besides that terrible CG train.

Still, at least there was one cool sequence worth watching:

FujikoMine33.jpg
FujikoMine34.jpg

FujikoMine35.jpg
FujikoMine36.jpg

FujikoMine37.jpg
FujikoMine38.jpg

I really like the way the reverse dolly-zoom pulls the background forwards from the back of the frame towards the audience to make us feel like the bullets are travelling into the frame, giving the image some depth.

FujikoMine32.jpg

On the characterisation side, it was nice to see Fujiko play a different role, something besides the temptress, even if she claims that she was merely acting we in the audience know better then that. Still, I wonder if the scene where we see her affection for Marco actually weakens her as a character, because making her soft in any fashion seems to run counter to what we know about her so far.

Jex

Ginga e Kickoff! 02

Erika's favourite player is Cristiano Ronaldo. :X Waifu disappointmenton total.

Very much liking the focus on women's football this is getting. All the girls are really cute. My only complaint is that the music isn't very good and does not fit a football animu at all.

Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, and Xavi?

Is that, animation I see? In a football anime? Times have changed.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
My Little Bebop: 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
because there's not much else to do on a plane

Episode 20

Bebop goes Noir! This episode had some of the best animation in the show period, and the noir style and direction was done beautifully. Having said that, it also had the worst CG in the show so far, and quite honestly, though I can appreciate its merits, noir really doesn't do much for me.

Episode 21
Bebop goes Mystical!

Worst episode yet.

Episode 22
Fortunately, this episode made up for the previous one by being one of the funniest in the show. Andy is clearly a rip off of Lad Russo from Baccano, but I can overlook that since the rest of the episode was good.

Episode 23
Meh

The Matrix did this better

Episode 24

This episode wasn't particularly great, but
seeing the Bebop crew split up was a bit sad.

Episode 25

this one's a two parter, so I won't say much about it other than that Julia's dub voice isn't what it should be.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you enjoy the aroma of Rick's Bread?
Makes you realise how pathetic the life of a generic RPG villager really is when the highlight of their day is buying bread.

People are joking about the bread because that's the only interesting thing to talk about. I mean, it's a show about a dude who bakes.

Now, if there was some kind of hot-blooded baking competition..
Well the way Ultimadrago warned me I expected some truly bad, but this was almost like the backdrop story to a generic fantasy hentai. Except instead of sex we just want the story to hurry up to the next shot of bread.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So the first 11 episodes are entirely skippable? Ok.

Pretty much.

You waited twelve episodes for that?
qTVYu.jpg

Had to see it happen. Was tired of the interruptions!

I don't remember Strawberry Panic being that much of a cocktease. I do know there's lots of maidservice if you're into that kind of thing.

It really was. Like every damn time Shizuma was about to lock lips with Nagisa someone or something would c-block her. Drove me nuts.

It seems that the whole thing might be something to pass by.

Yeah, if you're not desperate for yuri I would say don't bother.

Ultimadrago

Well the way Ultimadrago warned me I expected some truly bad, but this was almost like the backdrop story to a generic fantasy hentai. Except instead of sex we just want the story to hurry up to the next shot of bread.

I apologize if my urgent warning seemed out of order. I just didn't want you to waste your time with it :(

(pardoning the ED, everyone should waste their time with the ED)

Mr. Fix

Kimi ni Todoke 1

Kazehaya is Jesus isn't he?

I never knew this anime was from Sawako's perspective. I know it's probably given since it's a shoujo but it never occurred to me before I watched it. I love Sawako's faces, they are cute and funny. Don't know why all her classmates are such dicks to her. She doesn't really look like a ghost.

It gets better, imo. Those face are awesome! Still have to get around to finishing season 2.

Jex

Ano Natsu 12

I was so happy seeing Kaito all emo and depressed cause his alien girl ditched him and then I got to the last scene. Worst anime of the decade

Outside of few pacing issues where I thought it was boring and some dumb alien stuff, it was decent. It's definitely watchable and didn't jump the shark as fast as Ano Hana, but it didn't have as much of an interesting plot and characters as Ano Hana

Oh yeah, they should do some spinoff series with Lemon fighting aliens

The best thing about watching Ano Natsu is getting to enjoy the suffering of Kanna fans.

SDBurton

Kimi ni Todoke 1

Kazehaya is Jesus isn't he?

I never knew this anime was from Sawako's perspective. I know it's probably given since it's a shoujo but it never occurred to me before I watched it. I love Sawako's faces, they are cute and funny. Don't know why all her classmates are such dicks to her. She doesn't really look like a ghost.

Can't believe I missed this post earlier. Really good show, so looking forward to seeing your impressions on it.

cajunator

Banned
Is that show really about bread? Like seriously?

Watch Yakitate! Japan and ask this again. Bread baking makes for a very exciting shounen show!

It's Cajunantor. If he sees no problem with it, he basically wants you to stop talking about it because there is no problem. Anyone criticizing something is simply getting in the way of him spamming the thread with his posts asking for people to post cute things or whatnot. He's not interested in intelligent discussion because that's not what penguins do. :p

I have no problems with criticism, just that bashing on a show because of small visual flaws is kind of dumb IMO. Especially when it ocmes to the overall look of a show, which is oftentimes a subjective thing. Im not talking about the wrong placement of hands or objects in spatial relation to one another, as those things in angel Beats or other shows DESERVE to be panned. But complaining about a slightly polygonal floor or the art style itself is kind of silly when its thrown about as an absolute like "Angel Beats looks like shit". I mean if people said this about APollon or some other show it would be an outrage (though some have already tried). There are more legitimate things to complain about in Angel Beats than the visuals, such as...everything else except the music.

ALso, cute things are my escape from reality. They make me happy and forget the personal problems I have. Anime is my personal escape from real world bullshit. Japan is happy to provide them and I am happy to consume it.

And you still missed it. My point was that what you're saying can be taken one way or another if you're not careful. I read the previous Angel Beats conversation, and all I got out of it was purple Haruhi and some out of context in-between frames that doesn't show what the show looks like in motion. It really is nitpicking if that's what you have against Angel Beats. While they're certainly issues, they're superficial issues, issues that can be looked past, and if you don't like Keyshit, well, that's a good reason to not like the show. However, it's also a highly subjective reason to since Keyshit seems hit or miss.

There are plenty of things in Angel Beats to discuss and debate. There are plenty of themes, choices, ideas, plot progressions, narrative structures, and framing devices that we can go into depth about. Why focus on the QUALITY in between that most don't notice?

That's right, isn't it. How am I supposed to know?

Right. Nitpicking a bunch of still shots that dont really even convey very well whats going on at any moment is kind of silly in light of the MAJOR problems thatr Angel Beats otherwise has, and those major problems I wont even try to defend. thats ABF's job.

I just think that unless something is undeniably off kilter, such as a misproportioned object, character inconsistency, or pallette miscolors, then poking fun of a show for its art is just too subjective to take seriously.

Jex

People like Satoshi Kon have had the fame of doing exhaustive work for their impressive story-boards, and Mr. Okiura is one of those. An example can be seen here:

Production I.G / 作品紹介 / ももへの手紙 / 三人娘巴制作一大記 / 作画之巻
http://www.production-ig.co.jp/works/momo-letter/special/keyanimation

It's always interesting to see someone who really likes to do serious storyboarding, I imagine them as the kind of person who needs to have every detail fleshed out as they see it, rather than someone like Oshii who only seems to really detailed storyboards for key moments.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, if you're not desperate for yuri I would say don't bother.

Somehow, I think that a desperation for yuri would make Strawberry Panic even harder to watch considering the incredibly lopsided ratio of yuri to boring content. The two episodes I've watched have felt like they were an hour each, probably because I absolutely hate elite private academy settings.

Cowboy Bebop
Fin

http://i.imgur.com/pud8Z.jpg

See you, Space Cowboy.

If you had said Space Bebop or something like that I would have murdered you.

cajunator

Banned
I always get friendzones, so that's probably why I associate with those character types.
Just how it is. My lot in life.
a little penguin, foreveralone.

Ultimadrago

You're so evil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/lol.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Daaaaamn, I don't even have to watch Ano Natsu to know that this gif is [I][B]cold-blooded[/B][/I]!

[quote="cajunator, post: 37135197"]I always get friendzones, so that's probably why I associate with those character types.
Just how it is. My lot in life.
a little penguin, foreveralone.[/QUOTE]

Keep your head up, lil' penguin!

SDBurton

Somehow, I think that a desperation for yuri would make Strawberry Panic even harder to watch considering the incredibly lopsided ratio of yuri to boring content. The two episodes I've watched have felt like they were an hour each, probably because I absolutely hate elite private academy settings.

Well that would easily explain why it's taking me 3-4 days to finish it, in contrast to shows like KnT and LoveCom where I completed them in two.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

If you had said Space Bebop or something like that I would have murdered you.

I'm not that heartless. :(

You didn't even notice how that was the first time I called it by it's proper name, all that effort I spent thinking up titles wasted. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Guys, is the Bebop the Cowboy movie worth watching?

considering the ending to the TV series, I assume its pretty much an extended episode that takes place sometime during their adventures?

cajunator

Banned

considering the ending to the TV series, I assume its pretty much an extended episode that takes place sometime during their adventures?

The movie is action packed, but I honestly don't enjoy it as much as the series for some reason. Something feels off about it. Its worth a watch though, see if you like it better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm not that heartless. :(

You didn't even notice how that was the first time I called it by it's proper name, all that effort I spent thinking up titles wasted. :(

Hey man, I couldn't tell whether or not you were being respectful ironically! You reap what you sow :p

cajunator

Banned
it's a pretty show I guess, Bebop is a pretty cool dude, he hunts bounties and stuffs.

I think nostalgia is a powerful deciding factor in how much people enjoy Bebop and why they love it so much. Seeing it with fresh eyes probably wont have the same impact, especially since a lot of modern anime has taken a lot from the show and expanded on those ideas.

SDBurton

I might give it a shot. Need to take care of the ones I'm watching first before I start anything else.

Yes,
and yes
. The opening sequence before the credits and the credits themselves are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom