• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What I didn't like about Code Geass was that it was such a blatant copy of Guilty Crown, it even patterned Shirley after Hare.

UKBG5.jpg

Tell me about it.

They're totally going after that worst girl lovers audience.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No anime will ever be animated on ones. The only exception I know of is Akira.
I'm pretty sure that none of Akira is on ones either. It just has incredibly detailed keyframes for the entire duration of the movie. As the saying goes, quality over quantity, etc.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to go back to early 60s Toei Doga films and limited time shorts (modern day) to find Japanese animation on ones. In general, it's a waste of money, time, and energy. Frame count doesn't really matter.

e_i

Haiyore! Nyarko-san episode 4

Hasuta...best trap...or BEST TRAP? Clumsy, sweet, and that voice (Rie Kugimiya???).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well unless they've changed it in a later version (haven't updated in a while) it doesn't seem to allow you to save commands and turn them on and off for when you need them. And it doesn't seem to have an option to say where to save screenshots. Default is the desktop but when I run the command "-vo jpeg -ss 00:11:14 -endpos 15 -nosub" nothing appears. I guess I can play around with it a bit more, but for now I'll stick to what I'm used to.
I always found it more productive to just open terminal and run mplayer inside the package if I'm going to be doing stuff like that. All the same, it is true you don't have selectable command line options.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 3 - Woah, this episode was amazing! Seriously, best episode of this series yet, by far. This was a really impressive episode with a very strong story, good visuals, and good character interactions, too. Great work!

This episode introduces the third girl, who is Yuuko's sister's granddaughter. Oh, and Yuuko's sister
runs the school
too. The new girl can see ghosts, but doesn't acknowledge their existence be because she thinks they're probably evil or at least up to no good. In this episode, she influences the MC against Yuuko, and there's a bit of a crisis between the two of them...

It's quite interesting how the attitude of the person looking at her determines what they see. His fears lead to a real, big change in how he sees her.
Fortunately he overcomes them in the end, and things return to normal, just with another character... or do they? Not exactly, there are many more mysteries to come.

In addition, another couple of theories of what happened to Yuuko and how she ended up dying in that basement room begin to be presented, here.

-First, it could be an accident. Her leg was broken, so maybe she couldn't move, and starved to death or something with no one knowing she was there.

-But... there's a creepy shrine in that same room, in the gloom, too. Is it REALLY a coincidence that she's there, in the same room as that thing? That does seem to make it less likely, and there's a rumor that the school was built on top of an old temple site too that could be connected to this...

-Or it could be something else, not revealed yet.

"What happened to Yuuko" is of course teh show's central mystery, though, so I don't expect to learn the whole truth for quite some time. There are a lot of mysteries to work through
, and a lot of internal resistance from the characters to struggle against as well... I mean, what would happen if she learned the truth? Does she really want to know? Would she still be able to be there with Teiichi, like she wants?

... Yeah, I have trouble seeing this series end with anything other than tears, but we'll see, no way to know for sure at the moment. Either way though, this is really good. I just hope it stays as good as this episode was.

Afaik there is not enough content for another season.

This is wrong. As I said earlier in the thread, the Bodacious Space Pirates anime covers three books of the eight that have been published, at a pace of about 6 episodes a book. Apparently the final quarter of the anime's going to be new material, and there are now eight books out; when they started working on the anime back in '09, there were only three.

So yes, there is plenty of material, if the show does well enough to get the second season it so very very much deserves.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 2

Wow, why the fuck wasn't this the first episode? This was not only much better than the last ep but it would have made the perfect introductory episode instead of the pile of shit we got instead.
Episode 3's even better. Blows away the first two episodes combined, I think, and I liked ep. 1 well enough.

Yeah, I thought that scene was strangely out of place. I don't really see the point though, except for nostalgia.
Yeah, if those two scenes felt a bit out of place... yeah, they were. I'm not sure why they were included; either they're not sure if there's ever going to be a second anime based on the main Saki series and they want to cover a few of the basic points of what the main cast is doing after the first anime, or they want to have a bit of Saki in there because this show IS going to cover the finals so they'll reappear there, or maybe something else. I don't know, we'll have to see.

If only this was a 2-cour show.
I mourn for how great this would be as a 2-cour show. :(

They could fit in more characterisation to make the characters more three-dimensional and full of personality. and also not have to skip so many rounds. The skipping really annoys me :(
Absolutely, those things are all pretty annoying issues for sure. More episodes would indeed fix all of them. :(

Yeah, Achiga-hen's decent but it's just an inferior Saki from top to bottom. Less substantial characters, less mahjong, less plot time. I'm still grateful and enjoy the fact that we still have Saki, even if it's as a spin-off but the issues are still so glaring.
Yup. It's still very good, but not quite as great as the original. (Oh, and I like the main series' art a bit more than Achiga's, I think, too...)

Why would you expect animeGAF to have a consensus about anything? :p
What, there isn't a consensus to disagree all the time?

Natsuiro Kiseki 1-4

I came for the character designs. I stayed for no good reason. "Be Careful What You Wish For: The Spring 2012 Anime" or Natsuiro Kiseki, isn't pandering enough and had I stuck to just 3-episodes, I may have set myself of this show but episode 4 was okay enough that I'm sticking around. At least it's not AKB0048.
Fanservicey shots like that are rare in the show, it's mostly reasonably classy I think... but yeah, it is good. Not great, and somewhat generic, but good enough to keep watching certainly.

Yeah. I used to use MPC, but VLC really hasn't had any problems for me at all lately.

That doesn't mean there's a lot of particular reasons to use it, but it's a totally valid choice at this point.
Yeah, I used to have problems like those in those pictures, in VLC, but not anymore.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Haiyore! Nyarko-san episode 4

Hasuta...best trap...or BEST TRAP? Clumsy, sweet, and that voice (Rie Kugimiya???).

One you have the wrong idea, and two I believe that word is generally frowned upon on NeoGAF

Brazil

Code Geass R1 14

I take this episode of a sign of good things to come.
Can we really put Shirley past behind us now?

That was kind of a roller coaster. First,
Shirley surprisingly did the right thing and shot the chick who found out Zero's identity (although she couldn't really nail it, as expected). Then, she was exposed by the crazy guy. And, finally... She forgot everything about Ledouche! Yes! The worst haremette is gone.

Or is she?

Awesome random cosplay. Good taste.

And Ledouche
finally found a rival up to his level... Or above his level, seemingly.
Meanwhile, CC comes to save the day like a true white knight for the third time.

I wonder what's their story together.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R1 14

9X1Ij.jpg

I like this C.C. outfit so I have put it as my screen cap instead of something more related/significant to the story :D

This episode is for Shirley and Ledouche.
He recognizes that she cared enough to shoot someone else just to protect his identity and being. She recognizes that life goes on and that there is always light at the end of the darkness (in regards to her father's death and her want of love reciprocity from Ledouche)

So yeah, some growth stuff, not counting the new antagonist
Mao
that was used as a means to get the two together. Also seems to have a fond connection with C.C. Hmmm, shall be fleshed out later, no doubt.

Anyways, not a Shirley fan, but I guess she needed this.

May it never be picked up again in favor of more Pizza Hut and mech fights.

Branduil

I'm pretty sure that none of Akira is on ones either. It just has incredibly detailed keyframes for the entire duration of the movie. As the saying goes, quality over quantity, etc.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to go back to early 60s Toei Doga films and limited time shorts (modern day) to find Japanese animation on ones. In general, it's a waste of money, time, and energy. Frame count doesn't really matter.

I don't think it necessarily doesn't matter, it's just not worth it for the vast majority of anime because the quality wouldn't be high enough anyway.

Brazil

Fanservicey shots like that are rare in the show, it's mostly reasonably classy I think... but yeah, it is good. Not great, and somewhat generic, but good enough to keep watching certainly.

The fourth episode of Natsuiro Kiseki convinced me to keep watching it even after the mess that was the third one. I hope we never see those little kids again, haha.

e_i

Yeah. Also that is actually a boy lol.

Yes...I know Hasuta is a boy. I thought the character was a girl at first because of his voice (like Mahiro). I did not mean the word in a derogatory way.

Anyway, can't the -kun suffix be used for girls as well (but younger than you)? I've heard older characters address a younger female with the -kun. It's rare, but I've heard it.

Branduil

Actually, I just remembered a scene that was animated on ones. The scene in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya where Kyon first sees
Asakura.
It creates a very distinct impression compared to animation that's done on twos.

Brazil

Code Geass R1 15

Sexy.

Well, that arc sure was a lot shorter than I was expecting it would be.

After CC revealed
Mao's weakness,
the road ahead of Ledouche was pretty clear. He is a great strategian, after all.
It was kind of refreshing to have him as Lelouch himself and not as Zero in "battle" for a change.

And dat surprise. I guess girls with post-traumatic amnesia don't mind the cameras too much.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R1 15

Well...
HE DIED FAST!

Also Shirley,
lost all memory of Ledouche
Ahahahaaa! That should keep you less annoying for now, little girl!

More wonderful keikaku and story on the past interactions of the better girl on the show, C.C. She is still mysterious, but she has proven once again that she has a heart, emotions and a drive. Therefore, unlike the living husk that is
Inori of Guilty Crown.

I am looking forward to seeing more on C.C.'s past and possibly
her motivations and gift behind contract making.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't think it necessarily doesn't matter, it's just not worth it for the vast majority of anime because the quality wouldn't be high enough anyway.
Sure, but even for talented animators I doubt there would be any jump at all. It's just wasteful. I feel comfortable sticking in my "amount of frames doesn't matter" position!

Brazil

Code Geass R1 16

Oh, so
Mao wasn't dead yet. He had a role to fullfil: expose poor Suzaku. Who, oh, by the way, has freaking super hero agility and fighting skills. Haven't we told you that?

Let's hope he is now, though. At least he won't be trolling anyone anymore after Ledouche's genius reaction.

Poor Cornelia.
She's clueless. I was wishing her dead before just for the sake of it, but now I'm starting to hope that she at least lives enough to find out the truth.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R1 16

Bring in the beast, Keikaku!

Anyways, ol' boy
Mao surprised me with his "still living" thing and all. But now, I'm pretty sure he's dead...kinda....maybe.

On the other hand, Mr.Mr.Mr.Suzaku
well,well,well so his strength behind reckless heroism is finally revealed. Indeed, sacrificing yourself in the name of good can make Death's embrace easier to dance around. He himself fell prey to extreme measures in the name of change or preventing an non-idealistic future, not too much unlike Ledouche now.

Also, he is a super agile, above Olympics qualifying runner. What news!

As for Pizza Hut, didn't get much air time here, I'm afraid to say. But the
blind
and...quite clueless
Nunally is saved.

This episode clears a path for
Suzaku and Ledouche to grow their friendship around this new lil' fact over Suzaku murdering in the past. Whether they'll touch on it heavily again, is not clear to day with this anime's pacing, though I'll go with, "Yes."

Hopefully, more mech action awaits sooner than later.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 1-3

Finally got around to making a Crunchroll account and ended up switching the first three episodes and Another. Gotta say, despite it's disgusting (albeit rather intruiging) catch, it's a pretty solid romance series. Urabe's voice caught me a bit of gaurd as I didn't expect it to be that deep. The character designs remind me a bit of Rumiko Takahashi's work as well; I think it may be the eyes. Can someone make me a gif of Urabe spewing spit from out her mouth after Tsubaki shreded that picture in episode 1? I might want to use it for later.

wonzo

Banned
Patema Inverted: Beginning of the Day 1-2

sakasama1.jpg
sakasama1a.jpg
sakasama1b.jpg

These prologue shorts are a pretty neat way to hype up the movie. Looks like there's at least another short planned.
goddamn cliffhanger :(

So now that everything has aired, how about some OP rankings!

1. Phi Brain S2
2. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
3. Sankarea
4. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
5. Accel World
6. Tsuritama
7. Zetman
8. Medaka Box
9. Rock Lee
10. Space Bros
11. Upotte!
12. Kore wa Zombie Desu ka of the dead
13. Saint Seiya Omega
14. Fate/Zero s2
15. Shiba Inuko-san

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R1 17

Sweet. Got some mech action with this one.

Tohdoh is saved and he's able to use his cool sword mecha again.

Also, Suzaku gets exposed as "The White Knight" which Britannica has been relying on so much.

Ledouche was as you see in the image. The strategist had no plan against
the power of his own friendship and with that he retreated with his gang of merrymen into the chaff smoke
It'll be interesting to see the society's response after a lengthier amount of time to meditate on the mentioned fact while
the princess, of course, chose Suzaku as her personal guard

so when am I gonna get some more Pizza Hut?

Brazil

Code Geass R1 17

What an episode.

That's right, Ledouche. Wasn't expecting that, huh?
The despair in Kallen's voice was pretty good too.

Epic stuff. The synchronized mech destruction scenes with the
Four Swords
were pretty good already, but the fighting in the series is at its best when Lancelot's in action. On top of that, we even had Guren Mk-II's creator giving hints of possible upgrades to Kallen's toy.

And finally the princess makes the obvious choice we all knew she'd make all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom