• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R1 22

What the heeeeell, son. What the hell is this.

KGVFh.jpg

WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT OH GOD LEDOUCHE

That fucking eye, man. That eye, I tell you.

It was all working out. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. And then the old lady dying.

Fucking hell.

Shouta

So uh, not sure if it was mentioned here but Two-Mix is apparently getting back together. That should be fun times.

Branduil

Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.

Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

The events that transpire here are...they're...*rubs chin*

Lesson: Be careful what you SAAAAY!

itSpARreIHolH.gif

Cwarrior

best op this season

None of them are note worthy except for some of them having exceptional awful music that hurt my ears(Sankarea)

Saint seiya omega-is just rehashing an old track with meh video

Fate zero s2 - ehh took a while for the old to grow on me but do not like this new one

e7ao- I expect a lot better from bones since they make some the best ops out there imo, really liked e7 op3 but i would never watch a mecha anyways.

lupin- yes i get it, there's going to be tits an ass in your show enough already

zetaman- I wish there was more to this song/intro

Space bros is the only one I like so far but I don't feel it's good enough make my list.

Don't really care much about openings but an op should make want watch your show not make want to rip the power cord from my pc to save my brain from oozing out my ears.

wanna what i would call a good op something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi4US7iRc6k - now thats something that makes want to sit down and watch the show plus best 2d car action in the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxCInOkn6OU - yep that's what I call an opening

Narag

Koutetsushin Jeeg 9

Palm trees that fire missiles, jets with motorcycles for ejection seats and an upgrade for Jeeg that turns his arms into chainsaws and legs into drills? Fuck yes.

3D strikes me as cost saving but I can't tell if this transition was a good idea or simply making the best out of a bad situation.

iT9hYTOZxJdCh.gif

Ah, the madness of the end of R1. It's a pity they follow it up with the boring first half of r2, but at least it eventually gets interesting again.

Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.

Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

Shit really just got real

Congratulations!

Nichijou 0 and 26 (end)

4 / 10. 90% of the skits just fell flat or went over my head I guess. The best skits, Go Soccer were massively underrepresented, and largely only appeal in many episodes was visual style during the high action moments. I guess Im not much of a fan of the genre unless I can care for the characters. Green Green was the best ED

Narag

Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.

yAsmv.gif

wonzo

Banned
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 3

Whoa, y'all weren't lying when they said it gets even better. It makes the first episode even worse by comparison as I would've missed out on this if I dropped it after that awful introduction.

That's quite unfair. Raskolnikov
only murdered one person and she was already in her late years
. He wasn't that crazy.
Raskolnikov also murdered the old pawnbrokers handicapped sister when she discovered the body before he could make an escape. When you consider his crazy delusions about being a "Great Man" and thus void of the moral code that's applied to the lesser "others" I think it's fairly safe to say he's a bit messed up in the head!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mayo Chiki! 13
Basing an episode on the most annoying character in the show is an exercise on irritating your audience. It goes to show how little these girls actually work as real characters. There's just nothing going on for any of them unless the pathetic main lead is there for them to bounce around.

It did have its moments, I'll admit. (NSFW)

Mayo Chiki! worked for me when it realised it was nothing but fetish-fuel and did not try to put the silly melodrama in the forefront. The harem wackiness is something I can appreciate in moderation, as long as they don't try to sell it as meaningful character development. Ultimately, I stand by my assertion from a few months ago: this is Love Hina for a generation that has become even more shameless about its otaku fap-fodder. Nothing I would ever recommend unless you are just as incorrigible. Two (oYo) out of five
Code Geass R1 22

Code Geass R1 22

Contrived writing is contrived.
Oh come on. Its over a hundred years old and the title pretty much spoils the whole plot anyway.
I know, I was being facetious.
Raskolnikov also murdered the old pawnbrokers handicapped sister when she discovered the body before he could make an escape.
Ah, forgot that part. Yeah, he's a fucker.

Zetman 5

Can Kouga take a backseat? If this is actually still going at that lightning fast pace, I cant begin to imagine how many chapters must have been dedicated on him and his alpha (and in some scenes he looked way older than a student)? Jin scenes were great, cant wait to see him in action next episode.

I always play the OP twice, Dots and Lines.

Instro

So uh, not sure if it was mentioned here but Two-Mix is apparently getting back together. That should be fun times.

Weird, I was just randomly listening to Just Communication a few minutes ago. Actually it was at the time you posted...too coincidental.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.

Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

reaction_laugh.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven New Order(aka Episode 51)

So first off this this actually isn't a true 51st episode as it's an alternative ending to the original series. It's something that Bones had worked on that was supposed to be the original ending to the series that they decided to scrap. Probably for good reason and this is depressing as fuck. The new content is only in audio format and while they've attached video to it, it's not in sync and my understanding is the video content is just stuff from the original series. It's pretty much a way for the VAs to show off and show off they do. The fight between Anemone and Eureka is amazing(audio only). I wouldn't be surprised if they were crying for real in the recording studio.

It's mainly from Eureka's point of view but obviously it goes into the other character's point of view. It does explain the 7 from the title something that the original series toyed on but didn't really discuss. It's pretty much Eureka leaving to collect/drop off seven balls of light and leaves Renton saying we'll meet again someday. It's really not something anyone should watch unless they have to see everything E7 related or curious about original drafts for Bones's endings. In order for it to make sense they would have to revise more than the last episode, probably a few before it(mainly 49 and possibly 48) as well but you can get a general sense of what road they were planning on going down.

It's amazing how endings affect a person's perception of a series. I wonder if this was how it ended whether people would have viewed the story as a tragedy. Two star-struck lovers that are destined to never be together compared to the TTGL-type ending we got(not the actual TTGL ending but more the premise of the show).

There is also the slight possibility that this might be setup for AO as it would separate Eureka and Renton. They've avoided saying whether or not it's canon but it pretty much isn't unless proven otherwise. They supposedly have been airing it in prep for AO but I think that's more to drive up hype and remind fans why they like the series rather than to show actual background info.

I was mainly curious about the work as fans have talked about it for years and I love a good 'what-if' scenario.

Also holy Jesus if AO can reach this point, I'll have my pants off:
ieFgIbylMSEYu.gif

Jex

Code Geass R1 21

Pizza :(

Until now they've handled the silly episodes pretty well. This one, for example, mixed up a bunch of characters in a festival setting in an interesting way, and then, as expected, shit got real.

Poor Euphemia.
She has no clue she's just got into Ledouche's darker side with her supposedly noble intentions. But she has her white knight at her side... So she'll be safe. I think. Maybe.

I wonder what's going to happen to Ougi and whatsername.

I feel like anything I could possibly write would fall into that trap of 'people in AnimeGAF ruining everything' so I'll just shut up.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 3

Whoa, y'all weren't lying when they said it gets even better. It makes the first episode even worse by comparison as I would've missed out on this if I dropped it after that awful introduction.

Unfortunately, more than a few people already have :(

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 06

Yang is a true bro. He understands us plebeians and will surely guide us to victory. He has my vote, especially because of his soon-to-be hot waifu.

The easiness with which the Rosen Ritters entered Iserlohn says a lot about the Empire's management incompetence. That seems to be a common theme in this cartoon --the old men are fool, in with the new blood!
The first arc is pretty much about how everyone who isn't called Yang or Reinhard is useless, with a few exceptions. The rot has spread to the top.

Andrew J.

I think it's the 21st episode of Code Geass that has my favorite line in the series. Spoken by Lelouch, I believe it encapsulates everything you need to know about the show:

"I don't have time for this, I've got a coup d'etat and a school festival to run!"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R1 23

I think this might just be the cruelest bullshit in the history of anime, hahaha. That phone call at the end...

I can totally see Suzaku
getting a Geass of his own with all the letter people apparently running rampant now. And then there's that crazy villain in the sky fortress with his diabolical laughter. And Nunnally being clueless. And even amnesia girl is getting it.

The consequences will never be the same.

Mardock Scramble: First
tumblr_m1d2crYEnk1qjtzsdo1_500.gif

8 / 10. Although a bit too up there and mature for my tastes, I could really get into the visual style and animation that it had going on. Just a really nice looking world with some stunning and greatly choreographed action scenes and battle effects. Adaptations of long running shonen anime with movies ought to take note. Shell was pretty cool (want those sunglasses he had, wow) and Oeufcocque was quite the character. Balot could have had a bit more personality.

That cliffhanger ending right in a battle scene, I was satisfied with it even though it makes me want more now

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Koutetsushin Jeeg 9

Palm trees that fire missiles, jets with motorcycles for ejection seats and an upgrade for Jeeg that turns his arms into chainsaws and legs into drills? Fuck yes.

3D strikes me as cost saving but I can't tell if this transition was a good idea or simply making the best out of a bad situation.

iT9hYTOZxJdCh.gif

Oh wow, I saw the gif before I saw the episode title and thought you were watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. That CG, man...

There's a disgusting lack of round cat on your list.

Saving it for an eventual marathon!

Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.
Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

ibjtKJP2IT3HbE.gif

For better or worse, I consider that to be when the show truly jumped the shark.

Jex

Zetman 5

Well they definitely made Kouga look like even more of a spoiled, self-righteous child.

And of course they skipped even more vital stuff including
the explanation about Kanzaki's head.
They're now on chapter 90 or something.

So they've slowed down?

Ezalc

Sket-Dan 52 and 53

I remember reading these in the manga a long time ago but I didn't think that the fanservice was so... um shoved in your face, I guess? I'm not complaining but it's definitely a strange turn for this series, though with that school trip episode being teased in the OP things are going to get a lot more interesting soon.

Anyways, while Himeko is easily the most waifu girl in this show Koma is a good second I'd say.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chronicle of a Death Foretold 007
"Yo dawg I need to check your IDs just to make sure you are not spies or something."
"WE DON'T HAVE TIME WE ARE AT WAR"
"But maybe that's the reason why we need to follow protoc-"
"WE ARE AT WAR WHAT ARE YOU A TERRORIST"

And then it became Fire Emblem in space. Axes > Guns
The first arc is pretty much about how everyone who isn't called Yang or Reinhard is useless, with a few exceptions. The rot has spread to the top.
What about my brother Kircheis? He doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Reinhard would surely have been executed already if Kircheis weren't there to restrain him.
There's a disgusting lack of round cat on your list.
Poyopoyo is last season.

Jex

Oh wow, I saw the gif before I saw the episode title and thought you were watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. That CG, man...
Not to defend them or anything, but that's clearly one of those places where you can see why they're using the CG - the way camera moves they'd have to redraw the ship multiple times from it different angles, which is also known as hard work.

Mayo Chiki! 13

Basing an episode on the most annoying character in the show is an exercise on irritating your audience. It goes to show how little these girls actually work as real characters. There's just nothing going on for any of them unless the pathetic main lead is there for them to bounce around.

It did have its moments, I'll admit. (NSFW)

Mayo Chiki! worked for me when it realised it was nothing but fetish-fuel and did not try to put the silly melodrama in the forefront. The harem wackiness is something I can appreciate in moderation, as long as they don't try to sell it as meaningful character development. Ultimately, I stand by my assertion from a few months ago: this is Love Hina for a generation that has become even more shameless about its otaku fap-fodder. Nothing I would ever recommend unless you are just as incorrigible. Two (oYo) out of five

It's not really like Love Hina at all... Love Hina's better all around, but beyond that, Mayo Chiki doesn't have an ending. It ends with a reset-to-the-status-quo "ending", like with most harem shows. Love Hina actually ended. (More conclusively in the manga, sure, but the anime had a reasonably good ending too.)

Unfortunately, more than a few people already have :(

They should pick it back up. Now. It's gotten really good!

Saki A 4: I need more mahjong swag. While this show is still fairly fun, it really needs more actual playing and matches. Skipping most of the rounds even though it was Achiga vs a bunch of throwaway scrub teams is still disappointing. The whole of the episode might as well have been just to show off what Kuro's special skill is. The in between match scenes were nice though. Saki's crew having baths, Saki herself just looking at laundry spin, the Senriyama girls' studying the other teams on their iPads. It's still a fine show but damn show me more mahjong.
Yeah, I think everyone here watching it agrees that the fast, 1-cour-only plot is unfortunate and somewhat disappointing in comparison to the original series. It's good, but not Saki's equal.

So Kuro's skill is dora tiles get drawn to her. In a way it's a pretty cheap skill. Even cheap garbage hands become godlike with enough dora. If her ability extends to collecting ura-dora as well that's super godlike. Does employ a limited range of tiles though. It's not as ridiculous as rinshan or haitei stuff but it's pretty damn good. I hope it doesn't take too many episodes to expose what Achiga's specialties are. I want to see mahjong super powers collide soon.
Kuro and Yuu have (somewhat minor) powers, but if the other three Achiga girls did, I'd think that we'd have seen them already... I'm not so sure that they do. Some people they face certainly will have powers, though. Some quite strong.

Haibane Renmei 1-13 (FINAL)

I knew this show seemed familiar. Character design was done by Yoshitoshi ABe, who did: Serial Experiments Lain. The structure of the show has an interesting dynamic, it begins with a pique of curiosity, many questions that the viewer will have about the town, Old Home and the Haibane, who they are, who they were, what will become of them. Then it takes a (really depressing) turn for the existential until we're left at the end with a reassuring semblance of hope.

I wouldn't give it many points in the animation department but the script is what really shines. There is something strange about this world and it grabs your interest from episode one. After
Kuu's flight
the pacing of the show kinda gets funky as it no longer becomes about Old Home but rather Rakka and Reki. That's not to the show's detriment as Rakka and Reki's journey is one that is rife with vulnerability and a sense of helplessness. The music for the show was also very interesting. The ED in particular, for lack of a better word, starts out very creepy but as it goes along becomes more and more familiar and welcoming; a mirror of the show's emotional structure in my opinion. Though many questions are left unanswered by the end, I find myself no longer desiring the answers to those questions. This show is one that may have me reflecting on its themes for quite a while. I still feel a bit uneasy about it all (in the sense that it's sort of depressing me just thinking about it) but I liked it. 4 out of 5.

4 out of 5? Haibane Renmei's more like 9 or 10 out of 5... as good as anime gets, pretty much.

The fourth episode of Natsuiro Kiseki convinced me to keep watching it even after the mess that was the third one. I hope we never see those little kids again, haha.

Heh, so you didn't like her brother and his friend? I agree, the friend particularly was kind of annoying, but isn't that what younger siblings are usually like? :)'

Anyway, ep. 3 probably was the weakest ep so far, but "mess" might be going a bit far.

Nyaruko-san 4

TEH RIE APPEARS

Not as strong as previous episodes, but is funny nonetheless. Kana is just killing it as Nyaruko still.

So if space publishers localize Japan-only games, is Nintendo of Space as horrible at this as NoA?
Probably. :(

AKB 0048 1

Speaking of wanting to quit watching anime. Some of you will put up with this shit for another week or somehow the entire season. I am sorry but you are sick, twisted and completely demented.

This is literally one of the worst things I have ever experienced in my life. Having an OT for this garbage is just flat out wrong. I hate this show, I hate this thread, I hate anybody that would recommend this filth and now worst of all I hate my life.

Where the hell is the blue haired chick? Why do they look like chipmunks? Why is there NO FUN ALLOWED?

Hmm, I think I'll need to watch this soon then... :)

Jex

Most of the OPs this season are pretty bad and not worth mentioning. Apollon's is pretty cool, but it cuts so many corners visually and the audio balancing is so bad it's kind of embarrassing. Lupin is probably my favorite, very interesting both visually and unique on an audio level.

I respectfully disagree with all these points (what the hell man?).

Jintor

I still think the Love Hina manga was one of the better influences to have experienced coming into this bizarre crazy world. It's right on that level of being genuine enough to offset the complete and utter nonsense that constantly occurs.

Anime had rad-ass songs, but not much else. Koalla's va was the pits :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's not really like Love Hina at all... Love Hina's better all around, but beyond that, Mayo Chiki doesn't have an ending. It ends with a reset-to-the-status-quo "ending", like with most harem shows. Love Hina actually ended. (More conclusively in the manga, sure, but the anime had a reasonably good ending too.)
The ending to the original television show with Keitaro and Naru making up like they've always made up before but still not resolving any of the childhood-promise threads established since the first episode was just as inconclusive as the ending to Mayo Chiki!. And anyway, my point was more along the lines that this is just haremshit with very little excuse for the fetishisation of the female cast.

Defuser

Code Geass R1 22

Fucking hell.

Code Geass R1 22

Woooooooooooow.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back, was truly the most LOL scene in history. Thank you Hiroyuki Yoshino for your atrocious writing.

I still think the Love Hina manga was one of the better influences to have experienced coming into this bizarre crazy world. It's right on that level of being genuine enough to offset the complete and utter nonsense that constantly occurs.

Anime had rad-ass songs, but not much else. Koalla's va was the pits :(

I like the anime a lot. The manga's good for a while, but way too much of the second half was pretty mediocre... the anime's high quality all the way through (Again excepted, but it's animating part of the bad part of the manga, so that's to be expected.). About all that I wish they'd animated but didn't was that arc where they go to Kaolla's home country... that was a pretty good one. The rest of the manga that wasn't animated wasn't too much of a loss though, really, and I like a lot of things about the anime, too -- the music's good and fitting, I like the story and visuals as the anime portrays them, the comedy's done quite well, the humor episodes are pretty funny, etc.

The ending to the original television show with Keitaro and Naru making up like they've always made up before but still not resolving any of the childhood-promise threads established since the first episode was just as inconclusive as the ending to Mayo Chiki!. And anyway, my point was more along the lines that this is just haremshit with very little excuse for the fetishisation of the female cast.

That's not true at all, they don't just make up at the end of the anime! Remember, the anime ends at the end of the Summer movie, not just at the end of the TV show. It wasn't the manga ending, sure, but it wasn't just "I don't hate you anymore, for the moment".

LegatoB

Hmm, I never thought of it like that.
A more apt way to think of it is "the moment where Code Geass goes off the rails." It's still got a long way to go before the train lands, crumples and finally explodes in a massive fireball!

(God, I love that terrible show.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom