• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gurren-Lagann
Big O
AV-98 Ingram
Zeta Gundam
Zeorymer
Nirvash
Mazinger Z
Mazinkaiser SKL

Yeah, yeah, Zeta is ugly but I've never seen Soranowoto and Takemikazuchi looks like ugly CG from the pic on the SaiMecha page. I'm surprised that CG mecha isn't disqualified altogether considering that this contest is probably by and for mecha purists.

The trailer is ridiculously spoilery, so don't watch it.

I CANNOT UNDERSCORE THIS ENOUGH.

Ruined a lot of my enjoyment of Space Bros.

Dresden

Gundams look like shit.

Boring shit.

So many more fun mech designs out there.
I dont really care that Gundam is a "classic" I'm talking about the designs. They're boring.

There's so many Gundam designs out there, I find it hard to believe that you would think they're all "shit."

Narag

Turn A design is cool.

I was resistant to it initially but embraced it by the end.

There's so many Gundam designs out there, I find it hard to believe that you would think they're all "shit."
No doubt.

Embrace it, Cajun:
gXwch.jpg

survivor

Banned
The main Gundam designs are pretty boring.

The only ones I really like and are memorable for me are the fat looking ones. I have no idea what they are called but I always see their model kits posted on GAF.

Jex

It does. Its a fascinating machine.

The Gundam is just another boring mech.
Its the definitive mech, but again, that doesnt make it interesting.

The best designs in Gundam are usually the enemy mecha anyway, as opposed to the main 'Gundam'. The Unicorn is one of the few 'protagonist' Gundam's that I like the look of.

Also there's a ton of designs out there. Zeta on it's own has like 30 different designs in it. Gotta sell them toys.

>https://twitter.com/#!/kitsunetennouji/status/198802881367908355
>天王寺キツネ@kitsunetennouji >ナイショの情報ですが、SAKOたんはアニメでは熱海戦にも出て来ますよ! 良かったね( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
> "This is top secret info, but SAKO-tan will be showing up in the anime's Atami battle as well! Great news ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ"

oh wow!

1336331613455mnc5w.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Carnival Phantasm 09:

I want one!

Carnival Phantasm 10:

And we're back on Tsukihime. Akiha is as Onii-sama obsessed as ever, but Kohaku is awesome! Plus a quick Conan parody! XD

Articalys

The Berser-car is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. A bit surprised I haven't found any fan art of a Berserker-zero version of it.

Also, I thought this community valued moe and mechas equally?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I have the solution to cajun's Gundam hatred. We need a sequel to G Gundam that takes place in America and gives each state their own Gundam for the once-a-decade nationwide Gundam Fight that determines which state governs the rest of the nation. The protagonist, Alceé Fujibayashi Thibaudeau, is the half-Japanese half-Cajun pilot of Swamp Gundam, Louisiana's entrant into the tournament.

cajunator

Banned
I have the solution to cajun's Gundam hatred. We need a sequel to G Gundam that takes place in America and gives each state their own Gundam for the once-a-decade nationwide Gundam Fight that determines which state governs the rest of the nation. The protagonist, Alceé Fujibayashi Thibaudeau, is the half-Japanese half-Cajun pilot of Swamp Gundam, Louisiana's entrant into the tournament.

Dude this is like...fucking glorious. I would watch this!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gurren-Lagann
Big O
AV-98 Ingram
Zeta Gundam
Zeorymer
Nirvash
Mazinger Z
Mazinkaiser SKL

Yeah, yeah, Zeta is ugly but I've never seen Soranowoto and Takemikazuchi looks like ugly CG from the pic on the SaiMecha page. I'm surprised that CG mecha isn't disqualified altogether considering that this contest is probably by and for mecha purists.
Nope, Sora No Woto has lovely hand drawn mechs.

Narag

Syd Mead did the mech designs for all of Turn A didn't he? He should do more anime mech designs.

All the original stuff, yeah. I was just looking at wikipedia and was surprised as I never realized the SUMO was his initial submission for the Turn A before Tomino asked him for something a little closer to the traditional model.

cajunator

Banned
I do like the Eureka Seven AO and Rinne no Lagrange designs though.
Those are pretty cool looking. I like the sleeker looking ones, not so much the ones that look like blocky robots.

Jex

[Fate/Zero] - 18

Perhaps this episode deserved a more thorough write up than I gave it.

Perhaps.

I don't think anything particularly surprising happened in this episode, once we'd been given the initial set up of the island and it's inhabitants, but the way everything was presented and given to us far exceeded what you'd get in a normal show. Devoting the whole episode to a flashback, without even giving us a framing device (e.g. narration) or the title credits was a pretty ballsy move, but one made the entire story that much stronger.

A normal show would have Kuritsugu recount this story to someone else, presumably someone who hadn't heard the story before. This would involve some set up at the beginning and a sequence where we cut away from the story Kuritsus is telling so that we could get some reaction shots from whoever was hearing it.

The way that it's handled here is much stronger because it allows the story to stand on it's own, almost like an OVA within the main series which is really dedicated to telling this particular story.

cajunator

Banned
Add one to the summer backlog.
I didn't even know that Sorawoto had mechs before today, interest x10000

Well it only really has those tanks and you only see them in "action" at the end. Its more of a slice of life show. Also the design of the characters is NOT a ripoff of KON. Its an evolution of the Kannagi designs. (I will defend this notion to the death)

I do like the Eureka Seven AO and Rinne no Lagrange designs though.
Those are pretty cool looking. I like the sleeker looking ones, not so much the ones that look like blocky robots.

Surfer mode for AO's unit is good looking, Libertas, Voluntas, Teneritas are the better designs in Lagrange, though the Vox trio dont look that bad.

Was anyone actually under the impression that Medaka box was going to be good?

Hansode Shiranui should just get her own show and leave the rest of that disaster behind.

Fans of the manga had no reason to think it would be bad had they gotten to at least the 2nd post-genre shift arc. Since they're only getting to the first, well it's hard to still be excited.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III-V -END

Positive points:

- Some Tsuruya action.
- Nagato attacking Mikuru.
-
The philosophical talking cat.
Bwahaha. I had totally forgotten about him.
- Kyon interacting with Haruhi in the last two episodes.
- This great scene:

Negative points:

- Strangely low animation quality. Lower even than in most of the Endless Eight episodes.
- Haruhi being a lot worse than the usual, to the point of villainy, in the first half of the arc.
- It was kind of off-putting how you could never be sure when Kyon was talking or thinking, because apparently KyoAni thought it was a great idea to show the back of his head more than his face in this arc. Sometimes it seemed he was thinking, and then Nagato or Koizumi would respond; sometimes, he would think something and Haruhi would "read his mind"; sometimes, he talked and you weren't able to realize it until later in the scene.

I liked the scene in which Mikuru said what she thinks about Koizumi, though. It made me realize that 95% of the explanations we've had until now came from him... And they are all merely theories. And then there was Koizumi's interpretation of Mikuru's actions. Good stuff.

But now... Disappearance!

Narag

For Round 1
Arbalest
Big O
Ingram
Zeta Gundam
Shin Getter Robo
Nirvash
VF25
Mazinkaiser SKL

I think that's what I voted for.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gurren Lagann
Big O
Ingram
Zeta Gundam
Shin Getter
Nirvash
VF-25
Mazinkaiser SKL

Arbalest vs Gurren Lagann was the toughest choice out of the bunch. I love both, but I had to go with the gurren shit at the end. Also Ingram vs. Rahxephon. Both Izubuchi designs, and I love both, but the ingram is just more iconic.

My top 3 out of that list would be Gurren Lagann (Just overall cool design, awesome attacks, looks great with wings), Nirvash (it fucking surfs, also one of the best human-ish designs that lends itself extremely well to great animation) and the VF-25 (fucking come on)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is not a mecha show though, don't go into it with the wrong impression!

But yeah, you should watch it, it's a fun series.

Well it only really has those tanks and you only see them in "action" at the end. Its more of a slice of life show. Also the design of the characters is NOT a ripoff of KON. Its an evolution of the Kannagi designs. (I will defend this notion to the death)

Sure, I knew that it's a slice-of-life, however that alone is rarely enough to get me to watch something. Spider mechs named Shinto gods on the other hand...

Fans of the manga had no reason to think it would be bad had they gotten to at least the 2nd post-genre shift arc. Since they're only getting to the first, well it's hard to still be excited.

indeed , the prologue is boring and the rest is awesome ..the number of crazy things in medaka box is just godly ... but the anime miss all the marks ..( except shiranui )

I don't get the hate for the Zeta Gundam's design, I rather like it.

My votes:
Gurren Lagann
Big O
Ingram
Shin Getter Robo
Nirvash
Messiah
Delphine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom