• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Well then I don't know what to tell you.

Guess I'll just stick to my original theory of them going for that dynamic "going fast" look but not being quite able to pull it off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People are conflating budget with artistic appeal, something well done and expensive can still look ugly in the eyes of typical viewers, just as something done on the cheap can look good.

See: Bakemonogatari

pizzaroll: But bakemonogatari is ugly

cajunator

Banned
why do people always chalk up bad art/animation to budget issues? maybe that particular animator was just having a bad day. Or maybe he even intended it to look super deformed and exaggerated, which is likely the case there.
Its subjective.

Dresden

I really like Birdy and I'm fond of what I've seen of that Naruto episode, but (re: 167) for all the kinetic exuberance of those movements I think they would have been better served with more restraint on the actual art.

It's still more interesting than 99% of Naruto.

Risette

A Good Citizen
People are conflating budget with artistic appeal, something well done and expensive can still look ugly in the eyes of typical viewers, just as something done on the cheap can look good.

See: Bakemonogatari

pizzaroll: But bakemonogatari is ugly
I'll just pull out my trap card and say that the a lot of the good looking stuff in Bakemonogatari has a similarly exaggerated style. I mean one (out of two) of the guys who did the good looking stuff in Bake worked on Birdy Decode S2. That says everything.

Fairy Tail 117

mBq7N.gif

This guy is a magical Revolver Ocelot.

Fight is turning out to be much better than expected.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm kind of at the beginning of the journey here! I may just watch the OVAs/movies when I complete the first series because Hito seems to think that the second series is a huge decrease in quality anyway.
Well, we only watched a few episodes of Naisho anyway. Episode 4 is the best single anime episode I watched last year though, without question.

Cwarrior

Well, it is done on the cheap.

The production values for this episode is actually very high for proof just watch the episode yourself, it properly has more frames then the entire penguin drum.

it's just that the animator went overboard making a mockery of a shitty fight and turning it into comedy gold.

Haly

I'll just pull out my trap card and say that the a lot of the good looking stuff in Bakemonogatari has a similarly exaggerated style. I mean one (out of two) of the guys who did the good looking stuff in Bake worked on Birdy Decode S2. That says everything.
Ah, are you talking about the Araragi vs MonkeyKanbaru fight?

Haly

I just wanted specifics because I don't know these bits and pieces off hand :p

Anyway I was going it frame by frame and I noticed a lot of warping as well. The difference is that it happens far too fast for me to really capture the individual poses (Araragi assumes 5 or or so poses in less than a second), so while he's warping a lot and losing the structure of his outline, from the perspective of a viewer all I get is the impression of overwhelming speed.

That's the kicker, I think, behind the Bake fights, which the Pain fight lacks. One conveys the intent of the animators without cluing the viewer in on the techniques being used to accomplish it, the other makes it too obvious by extending the squashing to the point where a viewer notices it.

With the Pain fight, we can easily see him bubble up in front of us then get squishier as he punches the ground, for a scene attempting to show the power behind his motion, it lasts far too long. It's kind of like those scenes where two characters are running from point A to point B, and somehow the distance between point A and B are stretched in order for them to go through what dialogue they need to before they reach the end, even though in the physical world they would've reached by B far before finishing the dialogue.

Anyway those are my last thoughts on this, it's tiring and I have stuff to do.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 104

Neo Queen Serenity, ruler of Crystal Tokyo, someone almost deified in the previous series... really is just Usagi. The letter she wrote was hilarious.
This entire episode was amazing especially Chibi-Usa's heroic speech towards the end.

Evidently it was another Junichi Satou directed ep and it's such a sharp contrast from the drama in 97. It's no small feat to direct individual episodes in such a great series and to have them still stand out as much as they do.

I adore the expressive stuff like this. Bonus points for being derpy and therefore on-topic tonight.

wat

This ep might have been the most visually humorous to date. Any image in this post is from the first seven minutes too. The rest was filled just as much. Definitely a real treat.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ojamajo Doremi 02:

tl9Ujl.jpg

The sad thing is that this probably hit home for a lot of kids watching the show.

A
life swap
was an unorthodox way to characterize Hazuki.
Pointing out what's wrong with the fake in order to establish what's right about the real thing
sort of did more to illustrate what her life is like than it did what Hazuki herself is like, but it was still a hugely entertaining episode.
I just hope that being a 1% oujosama doesn't dominate Hazuki's personality

The combined Sailor Moon/Heartcatch staff influence really shows in Doremi's animation. The characters have a level of wonderful expressiveness on par with both series. This show really is a hidden gem, and the continued non-presence of battles really makes each episode feel meatier since there's that much more time for extra content.

79ud8l.jpg

This seems like it would be a really controversial thing to say in a kids' show!

Also, another possible Doremi homage in Smile Precure. Doremi has the same penchant for the word "ultra" that Miyuki does, not to mention a passing physical similarity:

Uchip

Banned
I just wanted specifics because I don't know these bits and pieces off hand :p

Anyway I was going it frame by frame and I noticed a lot of warping as well. The difference is that it happens far too fast for me to really capture the individual poses (Araragi assumes 5 or or so poses in less than a second), so while he's warping a lot and losing the structure of his outline, from the perspective of a viewer all I get is the impression of overwhelming speed.

That's the kicker, I think, behind the Bake fights, which the Pain fight lacks. One conveys the intent of the animators without cluing the viewer in on the techniques being used to accomplish it, the other makes it too obvious by extending the squashing to the point where a viewer notices it.

With the Pain fight, we can easily see him bubble up in front of us then get squishier as he punches the ground, for a scene attempting to show the power behind his motion, it lasts far too long. It's kind of like those scenes where two characters are running from point A to point B, and somehow the distance between point A and B are stretched in order for them to go through what dialogue they need to before they reach the end, even though in the physical world they would've reached by B far before finishing the dialogue.

Anyway those are my last thoughts on this, it's tiring and I have stuff to do.

One of the fights in particular, I think its sasuke vs naruto, they are all warped STANDING STILL, which makes no sense either artistically or funcationally

sonicmj1

Well, if you think I should watch the next episode, Hitokage-sama, I'll be happy to do it right away.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 9

q93FE.jpg

I think these swords are supposed to symbolize... something... but what?

See? This is why I watch you, Utena.

Mysteries are starting to unravel. Symbols are appearing all over the place. Princes are popping out of every orifice.

3q3CE.jpg

Did I get my yuri and yaoi goggles mixed up?

Saionji's backstory isn't super sympathetic (though at least his heart is in the right place), but it fits his character well. And it raises a lot of interesting questions. There's some fantastic use of light and shadow all throughout this episode, both in the flashback and in the present. I kind of wish I paid more specific attention to it now, because it's definitely meaningful. I'm trying to break it down into some dichotomy of "real" and "fantasy/imagination/ideal", but it's not quite fitting together.

lSinB.jpg

I was too dazzled taking screenshots of Touga's magnificence, unfortunately.

It's starting to become clear that
End of the World is a person, not a force of nature. All of this is his plan, and Utena's "unexpected" appearance was entirely intentional. It kind of sucks for people in the way, like Saionji (it feels like this scenario was orchestrated specifically to ruin him), but I guess that's life.

I feel like a turning point is approaching. As with Penguindrum, there are still more dimensions to this conflict that have yet to be revealed. I'm anxious to see them.

I liked this episode so much that I didn't watch the preview for the next one.

It was great to see this episode set up drama without using any of the stock footage loops the show normally relies on.

Zettai unmei mokushiroku.

Fairy Tail 120

FtIeg.jpg

Kinky Juvia is best Juvia.

And so ends the battle against Grimoire Heart. As far as the anime goes, I don't think it had the same draw as the Edolas arc, but since the source material is so good, I'd say it evens out. It also has a much more reasonable deus ex machina than the blatant asspull of Edolas' finale, so there's that too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This show really is a hidden gem, and the continued non-presence of battles really makes each episode feel meatier since there's that much more time for extra content.
It's how magical girl shows used to be before Sailor Moon, and yet it feels so much like SM at the same time.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 105

Why the hell didn't Tomoe tell Kaorinite what the talismans looked like to begin with? It would have solved so many issues if she didn't have to do an up-close visual inspection. That said, Jupiter training ep! Did that monk really not remind Makoto of her senpai though? I don't believe that.

Musical direction was interesting as there seemed to be some nonstandard musical cues playing.

Return of the thick outlined Daimons.

Luna & Artemis at their best.

Sailor Moon in a nutshell? It certainly embodies the slice of life aspect of the show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is this why people like Nanami episodes? Because I could respect that reason.
In general, any show with formula needs to be able to mix it up to be successful. Sailor Moon in particular is fantastic about using formula as a structure to build on rather than adhere to. Nanami episodes represent an amusing break from the norm.

duckroll

You guys are mean.

I feel this is a very unfair comment. I did not recommend Higurashi because I'm part of some sick group which allegedly recommends bad shows to people looking for a good time. I think for someone who watched Steins;Gate and Future Diary and enjoyed it, and was looking for something with a bunch of twists and psychological mindfucks, yet having elements of humor and fun, Higurashi is an excellent recommendation. I'm sure he will enjoy it.

cajunator

Banned
higurashi is definitely a mindfuck. I think people can think for themselves and do some research on a show instead of marching into it blindly and then blaming Gaf when the show fucks up their mood.

/XX/

Where are their original works in that list then?

wrong *somewhat nsfw*
How can something that can potentially resist you ever be moe?
Tell that to Machoshii if you can!

Be advised; the following link leads to slightly... strange and I suppose slightly explicit content as well... careful!

「まっちょしぃ」のイラスト・作品検索一覧 [pixiv]
http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=まっちょしぃ

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I feel this is a very unfair comment. I did not recommend Higurashi because I'm part of some sick group which allegedly recommends bad shows to people looking for a good time. I think for someone who watched Steins;Gate and Future Diary and enjoyed it, and was looking for something with a bunch of twists and psychological mindfucks, yet having elements of humor and fun, Higurashi is an excellent recommendation. I'm sure he will enjoy it.

I guess I should check that out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom