• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Yami to Boushi - 11

WARNING - Pausing an episode midway, making a sandwhich and coming back to resume it, may lead you to forget exactly how the episode started.

You don't even need to pause the show, failing to pay attention for a few seconds could leave you in a whole heap of confusion if the whole 'world scenario' changes.

Defuser

Accel World 3

It's like they deliberately want creepy doujin of it. Why does it have to be on the bed? Why does Chiyuri put her leg up like that as if she wants Haru to peek? Speaking of peek, why does it feel like she was wagging her cute ass around while looking for the cable? Why does the cable have to be that short? Why exactly are there so many cat dolls around like creepy voyeurs? Why are they in that position?

It's quite obvious,she likes Haru. She use a 1m cable with a boyfriend whereas she rather use the short cable for Haru not to mention Haru did suggest sitting properly while direct linking but she rather do it lying down.

But yeah,I was quite uncomfortable when watching that scene.

Jex

Everyone ignored my post in the Ookami Kodomo thread, so here is my revenge:

oAaaI.gif

Careful, that's a load bearing pillar!

Steroyd

Yami to Boushi - 12

Wow this was some Romeo and Juliet level shi-

*Yuri goggles explodes*

*head explodes*

... I'm... I'm not quite sure what just happened here!!

Did Eve just impregnate Hazuki then bailed out? Or are my Yuri goggles on too tight, why would Eve say that she would come back as "Hazuki's child" Surely she's aware that she's the only one Hazuki wants to get jiggy with right!? RIGHT!? I'm reading too much into that right? RIGHT GUYS!?!?!
OMG MY MIND IS MELTING WTF LOLOLOLOL ROFLCOPTER!!

frostbyte

It's quite obvious,she likes Haru. She use a 1m cable with a boyfriend whereas she rather use the short cable for Haru not to mention Haru did suggest sitting properly while direct linking but she rather do it lying down.

But yeah,I was quite uncomfortable when watching that scene.

I get that she likes Haru but isn't just a close friend kind of thing? She has a boyfriend already and they're all childhood friends.

Anyway, there's other ways this scene could've been done to convey what the actual mood was like. Like the bed part, Haru didn't need to literally climb on top of Chiyuri as if they're going to do it. Couldn't they have been side to side or something?

I just dislike deliberate pandering in a scene that's supposed to be more serious. Chiyuri even says that Haru hasn't really been close ever since middle school. From the context, this is supposed to be a heart to heart, emotional talk between good friends yet this connection doesn't seem to be portrayed as one because of the pointless fanservice in the viewer's face. It completely ruins the intended tone and I don't know if I should be taking it seriously anymore.

There is a reason why the manga won the Kodensha Manga Award and the anime was a worthy adaptation.

I don't know if you would like the later episodes, it looks like you had a general problem with the show.

I didn't really have much problems with the show except maybe it seemed a bit slow. Nothing really interested me and I hadn't watched it for a while anyway, so I dropped it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fate/stay night -END-

That was weird. As a whole, the series is full of inconsistencies. The animation, for the most part, is bad. And the directing is questionable. But I had a lot of fun.

After the first half, that is. During the first 10 or so episodes, Shirou was trying really hard to drag the whole thing down. Seeing as this is based in a visual novel, he acted the way he did probably because the team wanted to capture the spirit of a player who has no regards for the consequences of his actions in the game. The guy went out of his way to get in a dangerous situation in every single opportunity he had.

And then there are a couple of things that bothered me, like how
they would always get away because their enemies let them, or how the only Servants who really seemed interested in actually protecting their Masters were Saber and Caster.
And while I'm at it,
what the hell was with that Caster arc? Why did she care so much for that weird guy? And what was his motivation?
That also leads me to
why she didn't just choose Ilya as the catalyst for the Holy Grail summoning ritual from the very start? And why Ilya suddenly fell ill? And why's she a magic circuit with humanity? And what's the relationship between Rin and Sakura? And why did Archer suddenly started caring for Shirou when fighting Berserker?
It's like they only cared about developing Shirou and Saber as characters, and everyone else was just there. We, as viewers, were simply supposed to accept them for what they were without asking any questions.

I need to play the visual novel.

But even with all that in mind, I still had fun. I love tsunderes, so Rin was right up my alley, and Saber is amazing.
And the ending was predictable but pretty sad.

I love the concept of the Holy Grail War, so now... Onto Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/zero. And then hollow ataraxia.

Ultimadrago

Korra 3

Ty Lee
, you left behind good, gurl. <3

Also,
Amon
ain't playing around. Straight to action with the message. I like it.

See firehawk, I warned you that you'd hurt some folks feelings!

It's time y'all!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/26542589.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is it customary for priests to carry swords between their fingers? Both Fate/Zero and and Hellsing have priests who carry multiple swords between their fingers.

frostbyte

Fate/stay night -END-

After the first half, that is. During the first 10 or so episodes, Shirou was trying really hard to drag the whole thing down. Seeing as this is based in a visual novel, he acted the way he did probably because the team wanted to capture the spirit of a player who has no regards for the consequences of his actions in the game. The guy went out of his way to get in a dangerous situation in every single opportunity he had.

Well, Shirou is especially thick-headed and bigoted in Fate route. As for why he gets out of his way to get into a dangerous situation is partly related to his ideals as a
hero
and is also partly related to his over-the-top chivalry/sexism, which is why he keeps restraining Saber. Shirou would rather suffer and be a martyr over letting others, especially women, fight for him.

And then there are a couple of things that bothered me, like how
they would always get away because their enemies let them, or how the only Servants who really seemed interested in actually protecting their Masters were Saber and Caster.
And while I'm at it,
what the hell was with that Caster arc? Why did she care so much for that weird guy? And what was his motivation?
That also leads me to
why she didn't just choose Ilya as the catalyst for the Holy Grail summoning ritual from the very start? And why Ilya suddenly fell ill? And why's she a magic circuit with humanity? And what's the relationship between Rin and Sakura? And why did Archer suddenly started caring for Shirou when fighting Berserker?
It's like they only cared about developing Shirou and Saber as characters, and everyone else was just there. We, as viewers, were simply supposed to accept them for what they were without asking any questions.

That's pretty much all explained in the VN. The anime simply can't pack in as much details and info dumps/backstories to the characters, such as Caster, from the VN into 24 episodes. As to why Caster cared so much for Kuzuki, it's because Kuzuki was the one to
take her in when she was almost going to dissipate and form a contract with her. She's touched by his kindness and sincerity and falls in love with him.
There's more to the story, which relates to the heroine she is and her history as that heroine.

But even with all that in mind, I still had fun. I love tsunderes, so Rin was right up my alley, and Saber is amazing.
And the ending was predictable but pretty sad.

Rin is best girl, no question. No-one cares about Saber, really. :p

Fate Zero 16

After the
death of Ryuunosuke
and now this I think I can safely say that I absolutely loathe the direction the plot has gone.
Lancer was quite cool in the battle and actually one of the more cheery participants but to be added to the death list is just not that good. Its effectively making it seem like Saber will be the winning team even with still over 8 episodes to go. Now Im afraid Waver will be next to die somehow, ugh.

Kayneth and Lancer discussion was good otherwise, much of the episode was kind of boring to me.

Brazil

That's pretty much all explained in the VN. The anime simply can't pack in as much details and info dumps/backstories to the characters, such as Caster, from the VN into 24 episodes. As to why Caster cared so much for Kuzuki, it's because Kuzuki was the one to
take her in when she was almost going to dissipate and form a contract with her. She's touched by his kindness and sincerity and falls in love with him.
There's more to the story, which relates to the heroine she is and her history as that heroine.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I need to play it eventually.

Rin is best girl, no question. No-one cares about Saber, really. :p

Well, I do.

duckroll

Fate/Zero Episode 16

<Kiritsugu> Every single bad thing you heard about me in the last 15 episodes? They're true.

Holy shit. What an episode. Season 2 is really, really distancing itself from the more casual and introductory tone of season 1. Seriously, wow. The preview implies that next week the plot is going to move forward too. Can't wait for tons of talking. There's going to be A LOT to talk about between the other characters after this week's events :p

Fate/Zero Episode 16

Seems like this episode's got the Episode 11 treatment where the contents of the episode was heavily condensed.

Still very much boss, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished some shows.

Tiger And Bunny
Despite a total hatred of Barnaby during the entire series, I managed to enjoy the series well enough. Last story arc twist didn't make much sense, but I could go with it. Would have liked to see more of the other heroes.

Ben To
Series reminded me of Bamboo Blade, in that it should not have been that good, but the managed to make something out of it. Cast was enjoyable, though an extra episode with Asebi getting the crap beat out of her would be welcome.

Deadman Wonderland
Yeah...

duckroll

Fate/Zero Episode 16

Seems like this episode's got the Episode 11 treatment where the contents of the episode was heavily condensed.

Still very much boss, though.

I think it was a good decision to keep it all in one episode, just like for Ep11. It keeps it tight and makes the sum of the events have a much stronger impact. It'll be nice if there's a longer version on BD though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strawberry Panic 26 [FINAL]

0e7mM.jpg

None of the characters I liked made out well in the end. Tamao still didn't confess her feelings for Nagisa, and Yaya pretty much accepts Amane and Hikari's love for each other. They could've gave Nagisa the least bit of sense to acknowledge Tamao's feelings but she remained clueless as ever until the end. So damn weird that the only way the characters can take a hint to their roommate's affection is when they're about to be forced by them

While the yuri was good, definitely not worth the headache.

Steroyd

Yami to Boushi - END

They giveth me yuri.

They taketh away.

They giveth me YUUUURRRIIII!!! *nosebleed*

They taketh away.

They giveth me yuri.

They taketh away.

All I can say about this whole experience is.

Wat!?

Narag

[The Professional - Goglo 13]

I was warned about the helicopter, but no one told me about the movies amazing opening sequence featuring a skeleton:

goglo13-2.png
goglo13-7.png

What?

goglo13-3.png
goglo13-6.png

Symbolic? Who knows.

I had never seen those before. Reading up it seems because it was omitted from the original VHS release in the US back in the day. :(

Finished some shows.

Tiger And Bunny
Despite a total hatred of Barnaby during the entire series, I managed to enjoy the series well enough. Last story arc twist didn't make much sense, but I could go with it. Would have liked to see more of the other heroes.

Origami Cyclone for one, oh well, if there is a season two hopefully they do spend time with the others ones.

Jarmel

Banned
F/Z 16

Hahaha Saber gets the smackdown again. She seriously keeps getting shat on.

Kiritsugu defining himself as the man who gets shit done. This is the best character I've seen in a long time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ozma 06

Needed full-on submarine battles. It would have been better as a feature film: an (ostensibly) higher budget and it would have benefited more from that format.
Fake Ronaldo? But that is what Benzema aims for... this is the reason he is Mr. "Gornaldo" Ronaldo's #1 fan/lover!
My brain hurts right now.
A good football anime doesn't need animations but a fantastic OST.

http://youtu.be/Z0zBdRMpNHc

pure let's play football now-feeling
How about it gets both. They don't have to be mutually exclusive!

Jex

[Golgo 13: The Professional]

Now that I’ve got bombarded you with the silliest parts of the film, I only think it’s fair to explain that I actually enjoyed this film and perhaps you will as well, if you’re a fan of totally bananas 80’s anime.

Goglo13Professional9.jpg

Goglo 13: The Professional is a 1983 animated film by legendary anime director Osamu Dezaki. For those who aren’t familiar with Dezaki you’re probably wandering: how noteworthy is this guy? Well, for one thing he co-founded Studio Madhouse. He directed many hugely influential and noteworthy shows, including Tommorow’s Joe, Aim for the Ace, (part of) The Rose of Versailles, Space Adventure Cobra and some Black Jack OVA’s. His style is instantly recognizable due to his choices in lighting, colour, angles and his famous detailed still shots. Still, as recognizable as his style is you wouldn’t think of him as some kind of ‘arty’ director.

This movie is based off of an incredibly long running and extremely popular manga which has survived because it is the quintessential salaryman fantasy. Goglo 13 stars Duke Togo, the world’s greatest assassin who travels the world killing nasty dudes (usually with an M16+Scope), sleeping with hundreds of women and never changing his facial expression. Quite frankly, he’s a boring non-character who doesn’t apparently care about anything. His stories are extremely repetitive – Goglo gets info on some guy, sleeps with some women and assassinates his target. He never misses, even if he has to shoot all the way through a skyscraper or bounce bullets off water from a helicopter.

So what happens when you give an extremely route and limited story to an extremely stylish director? Sometimes, he goes totally nuts and makes Golgo 13: The Professional.

The story is…unnecessarily convoluted. It starts with Duke Togo being giving a mission to assassinate a mysterious ‘Dr Zed’ who -

Actually, I'm lying. It starts with the Dule snipping some dude who is getting off a plane. Of course, this might be when you start to notice just how unusual this film looks. Dezaki seems to be tirelessly seeking to present what’s going on in a unique way through camera angles that you might never usually see or some other technique. Case in point, these kinds of shots:

Goglo13Professional7.jpg
Goglo13Professional8.jpg

Of course, the Duke kills the guy, and the credits roll. Cue Skeletons.

goglo13-6.png

Then (for reasons that aren’t given) we see the Duke execute some guy on a boat. Before we can even learn why he’s given his mission to assassinate Dr. Zed. This begins what must be a whole 20 minute sequence about who, exactly, Dr Zed. is and what they want from the Duke. It actually feels like the movie is going to be all about Dr. Zed but the whole story concludes (as you might imagine it would) and we return to the main plot of the film. The Dr Zed arc has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, it feels like a manga chapter that they decided to adapt and put in the middle of the story to extend it’s running time. This leaves the movie with really weird pacing, but it didn’t really bother me because the whole thing was extremely silly anyway.

The plot is ‘really about’ the father of the guy that Duke Togo shot on the boat trying to get revenge on the Duke. This is basically an excuse for a large number of action and chase sequences that have no consequence because you don’t really care about the Duke OR the people chasing him. Everyone is either an asshole or has zero personality. There really isn’t any ‘plot’ besides that, it’s actually extremely simple, it’s just the Duke killing people who are trying to kill him. Oh, there’s this whole convoluted conspiracy of government agencies in the backdrop but all that fluff is superfluous. If you’ve come to this movie looking for story or characters then you’re wasting your time.

The only character worth talking about is the one who gets the worst treatment in the whole movie. Laura is the wife of Robert, the man who Duke Togo kills on the boat. She spends her time first in mourning, then being molested, eventually
her step father sells her body to an assassin as payment for the assassin hunting down Duke Togo. This leads to a fairly horrific and extremely weird set of rape sequences, which are rather unnecessary. After that her daughter is taken away from her and she appears to departs the movie – only to reappear in the end as a desperate prostitute for no apparent reason. She seemed incredibly wealthy so the only reason I can imagine for becoming a prostitute is that when a women has her man and child taken away from her what does she have left? The misogyny levels are really off the charts with regards to everything that befalls her.

A number of shots in the movie are noticeable for how they present an obscured view of the characters on screen. We’re witnessing them through some kind of filter:

Goglo13Professional1-1.jpg
Goglo13Professional2.jpg

Reflections or characters are another recurring visual motif, usually in extremely emotional moments of shock. There’s usually some kind of implication to these images, besides them just looking cool. For example, in the broken glass image a killer has ‘shattered’ another person:

Goglo13Professional10.jpg
Goglo13Professional5.jpg

Sometimes Dezaki will use extremely strong colours make a situation look especially horrific or desperate. In this sequence the dark mood of the character is reflect by the orange and red colouring:

Goglo13Professional11.jpg
Goglo13Professional13.jpg

Sometimes, the movie will have a weird effect because Dezaki is being experimental. In the first image below the Duke is having sex with a woman while weird 80’s special effects are displayed against the wall for no reason. In the image to the right a car is passing through a tunnel:

Goglo13Professional3.jpg
Goglo13Professional4.jpg

All the love-making scenes in this movie are weird for whatever reason, and its not just because the Duke has no facial expressions. For example, early on the Duke is sleeping with some women in an extremely white room. So white that it’s actually luminescent. It’s pretty creepy when the Duke’s informant enters the room in the middle of scene just to relay some information. Awkward!

Goglo13Professional14.jpg
Goglo13Professional15.jpg

I think this shot speaks for itself:

Goglo13Professional18.jpg

Oh, and lets not forget those classic Dezaki postcards:

Goglo13Professional17.jpg

Sometimes the experimentation goes badly wrong, such as the first ever use of CG in an anime! Hey, at least they don't try and put CG into a normally animated sequence, they keep the two separate.

goglo13-1.png

So yeah, err, I guess if you’re a fan of weird, unique looking anime about extremely bland assassins then THIS is the movie for you. It's extremely memorable!

Is it customary for priests to carry swords between their fingers? Both Fate/Zero and and Hellsing have priests who carry multiple swords between their fingers.

In Fate/Zero's case it is probably a call back to another one of Nasu's works, Tsukihime, where there's another church trotting, sword tossing character named Ciel.
Ciel_mbaa.png

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 10

Oh snap, well, I guess it all makes sense now! That opening from the very start of episode 1 was the events right before where the actual series picked up. HMM!

Poor Homura. : (
My favorite characters are always the ones with the messed up stuff happening to them. I should have known, hahaha. Also, this was so hard to find a screen grab that wasn't spoilery in some way. Homura's glasses, Madoka being a magical girl, and everything was just spoilery!

Also, Homura has good taste in witch zone stuff. The Guernica? The Arc de Triumph? What are you, a french art connoisseur?!

Man, I really hate that it didn't move the current day stuff forward any, but it's great to finally know what is up with all that stuff.
Really excited for next week's episode now.

Brazil

Fate/stay night

Wait a second, my brother just blew my mind out of this universe.
ARCHER IS SHIROU
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I'm so freaking dumb for not noticing that. What. The. Hell.

Steroyd

Fate Zero - 16

And people thought my Kanna lol gif was cold blooded, I said hot damn.

The man gets shit done, and I can only respect that.

[Golgo 13: The Professional]
If nothing else, I wouldn't mind watching this for the visuals. It looks like an extremely stylized film throughout, and I can tolerate the non-character stuff when there's at least something happening on screen to keep me interested.
I've still never seen anything related to the Golgo series, so now might be a good time to start...

Laura sounds like she's got it rough, and I didn't even read the spoilered part.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Accel World 03

Man, this show is fun. It's not nearly on the level of the brilliant framing and setup of Nazo no Kanojo X, but it paces and frames things in some very clever and provocative ways, particularly with the whole apology to Chiyu. The way it was framed was clearly meant to be seen as close to sexual activities without any actual such activities, from fumbling with the short connector (Taku's is a whole meter long!), to the file searching framed right over Chiyu's chest, to the (probably punintended)
backdoor access
! Honestly, I'm not sure how much of it was intentional, but it DID create a very charged atmosphere and some feels too. Chiyu sure is hnnng~

Anyway, I have my own theory as to what's going down (though it's probably obvious at this point).
It's Taku. Straight up. He's the only one who would have the direct link access to create that backdoor and it would explain why he doesn't show up when challenging, since he's challenging through Chiyu's system. But man, that's low, using your childhood friend as a means to an ends in challenging a level 9? Because of the timing of when Ms. Black Lotus started getting challenged and when Taku confessed to Chiyu, there's the likely possibility that he started dating Chiyu for the express purpose of installing that backdoor and challenging Kuroyuki. What a dick...

Jarmel

Banned
Anyway, I have my own theory as to what's going down (though it's probably obvious at this point).
It's Taku. Straight up. He's the only one who would have the direct link access to create that backdoor and it would explain why he doesn't show up when challenging, since he's challenging through Chiyu's system. But man, that's low, using your childhood friend as a means to an ends in challenging a level 9? Because of the timing of when Ms. Black Lotus started getting challenged and when Taku confessed to Chiyu, there's the likely possibility that he started dating Chiyu for the express purpose of installing that backdoor and challenging Kuroyuki. What a dick...

Probably, this was my guess too.
He's probably using the Accel in his kendo battles thus explaining why he's so desperate as he's burning through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom