• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
You have to admit that the first episode wasn't an accurate depiction of what the series would be like! I was swindled into believing that each episode would be a bundle of hilarious innuendo and general creative depravity. Without that, it has nothing going for it if you don't care for guns.

I will, however, stick around one more episode just to see the elf girl from the OP.

Seems like Upotte is failing to live up to its full potential. I'd say the first episode is it for me then.

But... I TOLD you guys that Upotte!! isn't like that... I said before it was a comedy involving lots of gun jokes. Alot of the innuendo and double entendre depend on knowledge of firearms. Hell, all of the fanservice in the first episode was all about how "guns like to be fired" and all that. The entire "My hammer's going to go off!" thing is a total gun joke. They could not make that joke if FNC were not a gun. You just went in thinking "Sexy middle schoolers? WOOO! I can get my self-loathing quota in for the week!" and that's your own damned fault.

If you REALLY want, you can try (and fail) to track down the two adult doujins the original author allegedly created, but it's your own damned fault you thought the show was going to be nothing but fanservice and depravity when all of us told you that it would not be!

Also, fair warning, I don't think SAKO and Galil will be there until episode 5.

Jex

Thanks. I find it hilarious that the talk of Fate/Zero is split between this thread and the Fate/Zero OT. I don't know hwhere to post!!!!

True folks will support the official threads and keep discussions focused in one place!

Jex

BirdyMaster.jpg

Wait, so, in the finale Birdy literally becomes The Idolm@ster? This tells you all you need to know about the state of A-1 pictures. At least they're currently redeeming themselves with Tsuritama.

As for the real Birdy Finale I feel that it let pretty much everyone off the hook in a rather unsatisfying manner. There didn't seem to be any consequences for anyone's actions, and the the thing which came out of nowhere to halt a characters action seemed extremely weak.

All in all, I'd like to see more stories take place in the Birdy universe but I know that won't happen.

Minori Scramble!

Featuring a contender for the Worst Dad Ever award:

He's an obsessed penguin researcher who tirelessly seeks to rid his daughter, Tamaki, of her penguin loathing. His latest solution is Minori:

She's a penguin with the head of an irresistibly cute girl. Of course, with eyes that innocent, you know a troublemaker is lurking just beneath the surface. Indeed Minori drags Tamaki into all sort of comedic mayhem that snowballs (literally!) until it reaches a dramatic climax. Will Tamaki be able to put aside her prejudices and learn to love penguins? Tune in to find out!

Really, it's a lot of fun. The central duo play well off of each other and the various side characters they bump into. The pacing is great; outside of maybe one or two moments, it deftly moves from one sequence to the next without leaving you any time to get bored. The animation is appropriately spastic and does a good job of creating visual humor.

Moreover, there's an exciting car chase scene which is entirely 2D.

If that doesn't make you want to watch it, I don't know what will.

Soma

Admittedly I'm biased because I was part of the group that did the fantranslation for the VN

Aha! I knew I recognized the username from somewhere. I've been playing through F/SN (almost done with the Fate route) and I gotta say great job with the translations so far. I'm sure that must've been a ton of work since the word count is supposedly more than the LOTR trilogy? Dayum.

Also I'm sure you guys must've had fun with translating the
sex scenes.

I might have to watch the Unlimited Blade Works movie after I finish that route too.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO - 2]

So it occurred to me while watching this episode that I might be watching a brand new BONES mecha anime. Holy shit!

This weeks episode was pretty fun to watch and certainly delivered in terms of having the action that I was looking for. Perhaps they'll even be able to keep the plot together for a whole series!

E7AO22.jpg

One thing that did annoy me was the people standing around. DO SOMETHING, even if it's just running away!

E7AO21.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Upotte!! 3

I expected more rifle antics, what I got was fan services and lies about my British pride.

cajunator

Banned
Space Bros 03

Mutta's journey towards (hopefully) becoming an astronaut continues.
He has some pretty stiff competition though.
Damn, what a great show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And in the end, isn't that better? ;)

Well the A2 is apparently much better than how the show described it, but I suppose it's a way of handwaving all possibility of her upgrading. Of course if she did she'd have to reflect the average British solder which is basically an 'ard mental nutcase. So from useless moé to ale swigging ladette. The otaku wouldn't be pleased.

But I can't complain about fanservice.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Well the A2 is apparently much better than how the show described it, but I suppose it's a way of handwaving all possibility of her upgrading. Of course if she did she'd have to reflect the average British solder which is basically an 'ard mental nutcase. So from useless moé to ale swigging ladette. The otaku wouldn't be pleased.

But I can't complain about fanservice.

Well, so you might feel a bit better, Elle DOES take a couple levels in badass in the next couple arcs. She works through her problems and still kicks some ass.

Makoto

Kids on the Slope 1

I like what I see, particularly at the end.
Kaoru strutting down the slope is a nice indicator of development in his character. I enjoyed the final 10 seconds of Sen running down the slope.
It was nice way of visually establishing the differences in life philosophies between him and Kaoru.

Upotte!! 2

This show will probably end up being a guilty pleasure of mine. The Military Channel should consider airing this (lol). Are thighs representative of a gun part or something? Because the thighs of the characters in this show seem thicker proportionally. Oh why am I even asking this question?!

wonzo

Banned
Minori Scramble!

Featuring a contender for the Worst Dad Ever award:

He's an obsessed penguin researcher who tirelessly seeks to rid his daughter, Tamaki, of her penguin loathing. His latest solution is Minori:

She's a penguin with the head of an irresistibly cute girl. Of course, with eyes that innocent, you know a troublemaker is lurking just beneath the surface. Indeed Minori drags Tamaki into all sort of comedic mayhem that snowballs (literally!) until it reaches a dramatic climax. Will Tamaki be able to put aside her prejudices and learn to love penguins? Tune in to find out!

Really, it's a lot of fun. The central duo play well off of each other and the various side characters they bump into. The pacing is great; outside of maybe one or two moments, it deftly moves from one sequence to the next without leaving you any time to get bored. The animation is appropriately spastic and does a good job of creating visual humor.

Moreover, there's an exciting car chase scene which is entirely 2D.

If that doesn't make you want to watch it, I don't know what will.
more people need to watch this. it's great!

Neo C.

Kuroko no Basuke 3: Kise has a man-crush to Kuroko, or is it already yaoi territory? Fortunately the coach saves the day.

Who needs L if he can have a MP5-tan with ahoge?

I think Cajun would love her.

Upotte!! 2

This show will probably end up being a guilty pleasure of mine. The Military Channel should consider airing this (lol). Are thighs representative of a gun part or something? Because the thighs of the characters in this show seem thicker proportionally. Oh why am I even asking this question?!

You can't have a Xebec anime without healthy girls

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But... I TOLD you guys that Upotte!! isn't like that... I said before it was a comedy involving lots of gun jokes. Alot of the innuendo and double entendre depend on knowledge of firearms. Hell, all of the fanservice in the first episode was all about how "guns like to be fired" and all that. The entire "My hammer's going to go off!" thing is a total gun joke. They could not make that joke if FNC were not a gun. You just went in thinking "Sexy middle schoolers? WOOO! I can get my self-loathing quota in for the week!" and that's your own damned fault.

If you REALLY want, you can try (and fail) to track down the two adult doujins the original author allegedly created, but it's your own damned fault you thought the show was going to be nothing but fanservice and depravity when all of us told you that it would not be!

No.

You seem to think that anyone not interested in the really really technical gun otaku stuff in the show is just there to fap to little girls when virtually everyone expressing disappointment with the show is saying that they're specifically disappointed in the gun humor. Saying "just find hentai if you're disappointed with this" is kind of insulting when everyone here has made it pretty clear that they're not actually titillated by any of the questionable content.

I stated that my interest relied on the show's ability to continue to make amusing gun-related innuendos. Personally, I almost never watch moeshit when it's played straight and only took interest in Upotte after Jex hyped it as something that shamelessly crossed lines and used the gun humor in outrageous ways. Like others, I signed up for this due to the promise of shock and spectacle and don't particularly care about the guns or the girls.

Few people here can claim to be gun enthusiasts, but I don't know how you got the idea that people disappointed with the show somehow didn't realize that all of the jokes and innuendos in the first episode were gun references. No one would have watched past the first episode if they didn't get the humor!

I'm aware that you've tried to describe what the show is like, but I don't think that anyone can be blamed for having their own expectations when the first episode was so different from what anyone unfamiliar with the manga was anticipating. I'm sorry, but I still feel pretty justified in my disappointment.

/XX/

Oh yeah, for all you Fujiko fans Goglo 13 also features dat shading, except it's not some weird photoshop layer in this movie because some human being had to add it with a pencil:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Goglo13Professional16.jpg

The original scribbly black lines anime! Except, probably not, because I am sure a number of 70's shows did it as well.
Could be one of the reasons why Yamakan deemed it as a derivative work supported by Mr. Dezaki's legacy (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36651504&postcount=7037).

Hey, don't get so down on yourself. The L85A2 isn't nearly as bad as that clip makes it out to be. Elle just needs to go take the HK training regimen and she'll be right as rain! (though still unable to be shot by lefties)
Soon with black tights, on H&K's family usual fashion... in-style.

Uchip

Banned

So like
They're guns
but they're shooting guns
does that mean that guns are holding guns?

honestly I would have thought this show to be offensive to weapon enthusiasts

Unlimited Blade Works
is my next stop, and I'll definitely look into this
Last Episode
too. Thanks!

A note about the Unlimited Blade Works movie that got omitted in the beginning but should have been kept. One of the big reasons for the change in how the story goes is the butterfly effect of Shirou using
a Command Seal to stop Saber from attacking Rin and Archer in the beginning.
Because of this,
Archer is also able to fight against Berserker, and play his hand in early events
due to not being injured like he was in the Fate route.

Koroviev

Any idea as to what service might end up streaming Eureka Seven AO?

Also, how often do you guys renew your CR sub? The yearly sub is obviously the best value, but I'm considering the 3-month renewal for the time being.

cajunator

Banned
Eureka Seven Ao really does feel like a legitimate series. It doesn't feel like a cheap spinoff show or a throwaway cash in. Its really good so far.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka Seven Ao really does feel like a legitimate series. It doesn't feel like a cheap spinoff show or a throwaway cash in. Its really good so far.

I like 90% of it
the 10% is just not feeling any of the characters, and
a kitty helmet? wtf?
and the part
where he pilots the mech to fight the monster he seemed a little bit too confident or something
alternatively, I was infatuated with Eureka from episode 1.

at least AO isnt annoying though

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sankarea 03:

50Eell.jpg

This stuff is totally not why I enjoy the show, but that's still a world-class blush.

Parents suck.

Is the show ever going to run out of meaningful and artistic ways to use hydrangeas? I'm loving them as a recurring visual theme and found the scene of
the flowers dyed red by Rea's blood
especially stimulating even though it wasn't the most creative imagery ever.

Man, Rea's situation is just cutting me through the heart. I rarely feel any actual sympathy for fictional characters, which makes all the more amazing the fact that this show, which is purported by several people to eventually collapse into haremshit, is genuinely really getting to me. I know that the horror of the evils of Rea's father are exaggerated and manipulative, but I can't help it. It's something about the dark atmosphere, the careful detail in Rea's expressions, the sense of death and suffocation that envelop the town, and her sorrowful desire to die and be reborn that flavor the serious scenes with an authentic sadness for me. I remain amazed at how the production for Sankarea is still going above and beyond in every area.

I have really high hopes for the next episode, as the setup is now complete. Please stay classy, show.

cajunator

Banned
I like 90% of it
the 10% is just not feeling any of the characters, and
a kitty helmet? wtf?
and the part
where he pilots the mech to fight the monster he seemed a little bit too confident or something
alternatively, I was infatuated with Eureka from episode 1.

at least AO isnt annoying though

Well I think most of the characters havent really been established yet. It seems to be focusing on getting to the point rather quickly. Its paced fairly fast.
Forehead-chan is a lot cuter than I expected her to be. Ao is a lot more mature and careful than Renton was.

Uchip

Banned
Well I think most of the characters havent really been established yet. It seems to be focusing on getting to the point rather quickly. Its paced fairly fast.
Forehead-chan is a lot cuter than I expected her to be. Ao is a lot more mature and careful than Renton was.

well, its also that Eureka was mysterious
now everyone just seems regular

and its set on earth so it takes away from the unique fantasy setting

cajunator

Banned
well, its also that Eureka was mysterious
now everyone just seems regular

and its set on earth so it takes away from the unique fantasy setting

True, Eureka was [redacted] as hell and not knowing much about her is pretty cool at first.
This second series definitely seems to expect you to know some things about the world of E7. Some things I will admit that I DON'T yet know about being so early into the first series.
But that's fine. I like discovery.

Moretsu Pirates 16

I wish the last second of the preview for episode 17 kept that detail a secret, now its painfully obvious what its about. Regardless, episode 16 was pretty cool. Loved the actual pirate job and the ones being pirated comments and excitement.
cosplay was odd but hilarious

I think Lynn is definitely my favorite of the students.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Zero 16

Cross thread posting!

So after watching through it twice I really feel like this episode will have at least one deleted scene.

Man, I feel like this episode was paced absolutely perfectly and the animation was top notch. There weren't a lot of still shots with bobbing heads or lips moving. Nearly everything had some sort of intricate movements, making this episode gorgeous. I think this episode also captures the brutality, seriousness, theme, and overall direction that Fate/Zero was going for. We saw the transition from Episode 11 to now, slowly head towards a darker and moodier atmosphere and I think this episode hits the climax of it so far.

Having said that, there were particular aspects that really stood out to me of why this episode is so good. Rather than dedicating one large continuous portion of the episode to a fight, they broke it up with dialogue in-between. I enjoyed this partially due to the fact that it keeps the dialogues interesting, but it also pulls the audience in more to enjoy the fight, since it isn't mindless action. I'm not saying they should do this for every fight sequence, but the combination of the two works really well for the episode.

Another is the brutality of the scene between Sola and Maiya. Instead of going for a gory approach showing everything, the subtlety that they showed when her arm was hacked off and how she responded was great. It still captures the horror of the situation without showing everything. It's more direction and capturing the essence of the scene and I thought they did it awesomely.

Thirdly, Lancer's death scene gave me shivers. It happens so quickly and this is the only scene - to my memory - where Lancer screams, shouts, and yells. Because I've never seen him so emotionally out of control it hit me hard. We get a real glimpse of how important a knight's honor, valor, and chivalry is to Diarmuid.

I also enjoyed the conversation between Kiritisugu and Saber. Finally they have a formal conversation about their perspectives. To continue off of Episode 11, I think Saber's idealism and view of battles differs extremely from Kiritsugu's. He views all battles, fights, wars, or anything of the sort as evil. There's no honor in it. There's no honor in killing, murder, death, and something so tortuous. In a way, the result is the same but the "means" are different. Not so much means but how one views battles. While Saber's is skewed by viewing it as honorable as long as one remains chivalrous and respectable, Kiritsugu believes that the end reveals how horrid such a thing is. Great dialogue, one that deserves more praise than I can put into words.

Lastly, Kayneth's characterization. Throughout the entire series we don't get a big development of him. Rather, we see bits and pieces of his cruel, arrogant, and prideful personality. This was a disappointing part for me in the series since I want characters in the show to be developed to a certain extent. However, this last bit showed a different side of Kayneth that I didn't expect. He was torn on winning the Grail or caring for Sola. Despite being screwed over by her, he still wanted to save her and his own life by withdrawing. He understood that the Grail isn't worth it anymore. It's a sign of humility in a way because he understands that he no longer has a place in this war anymore. It was quite a sight to see.

I'm pretty sure there's more but this is it for my thoughts.... for now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Korra no Densetsu 3

Korra x Mako :3 :3

The one big fight was interesting because it evoked a typical Fullmetal Alchemist battle, with Ed and Al typically relying on
making a wall out of the dirt as some kind of shield
. I suppose when your characters can make things appear out of thin air, the fighting can be a lot more dynamic and interesting.
Of course, there's like none of the heroic bloodshed manliness that comes with some of the best FMA:B fights, but I suppose those will come later. Or, at least, I assume so.

The actual story and the world? I'm mostly soft on it but because it doesn't really seem all that new and exciting. Benders abusing their powers on its own isn't really grabbing me (oh hey, Mako is like
Batman
. Great.) and the whole
Amon
thing seems rather low-stakes as well, even though they make it seem like it's a game-changer.

I'm hoping shit gets real in the next few episodes... but if the primary audience is children, I guess that probably won't happen.

Upotte!! 1-3

Surprisingly informative, but with fan-service. Poor Eru.

Upotte!! 2

Skirts are proportional to stock/barrel length for the high caliber weapons I think.

Man this season has started great. We have legimately good series like Fate/Zero, Kids on the Slope, Eureka 7 AO, Sankarea, Space bros and then we have dumb fun series like Accel World and Nyaruko. So good.

cajunator

Banned
Moretsu Pirates 16

I wish the last second of the preview for episode 17 kept that detail a secret, now its painfully obvious what its about. Regardless, episode 16 was pretty cool. Loved the actual pirate job and the ones being pirated comments and excitement.
cosplay was odd but hilarious

I think Lynn is definitely my favorite of the students.

Pirates is the latest example of something I generally hate. Previews that give away spoilers and plot points really need to die.

Man this season has started great. We have legimately good series like Fate/Zero, Kids on the Slope, Eureka 7 AO, Sankarea, Space bros and then we have dumb fun series like Accel World and Nyaruko. So good.

Dont forget Acchi Kocchi and Upotte for dumb fun and Hawaii as well.

wonzo

Banned
Bodacious Space Pirates 16

I was worried that Lynn
was acting as a Spy but thankfully she was merely planning a Job to kidnap the former president of the yacht club. The preview makes it fairly obvious why.

*equips yuri goggles for the next few episodes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom