• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Poyopouo Kansatsu Nikki] - 19

I really the feel that the story in this episode was rather lose and unfocused. Like, I get that the roundcats is round, but what does that have to do with the housing-plot? It feels completely unrelated, like they stitched together two different works. Of course, they share some characters and locations, but it's still pretty noticeable.

That's been my main complaint with Poyopoyo from the beginning. There are quite a number of episodes which bounce back and forth between different gags without much connection, which feels rather awkward. Of course, there are other episodes which are well organized and have a clear theme.

Articalys

fkl0d.png

http://www.funimation.com/haibane-renmei

Sources seem to point to a potential September release.

Branduil

The one anime I can think of that mostly remembers space is three-dimensional is Starship Operators. But then again that is the hardest of hard sci-fi shows. The only reason it even has sound effects is because they have an in-show justification for faking them.

The Manga Ent. app is finally available for Xbox LIVE Gold members. The app is not working the best for me at the moment, but that seems to be the norm when these new apps are released.

Hyouka 03
It was really work finishing this episode. This show is nearly unwatchable. So lifeless, so boring. It is without character or identity, and the grossly misused classical music doesn't help. More egregious is the cinematography. At best it comes across as pedantic, at worse you wind up with obnoxious repetition that simply beats the mundane nature of the show in to your face.

As much as I understand why many people find this show boring, due to its content and characterization, I don't think you're being fair to the quality of its direction. Let's look at the first 35 seconds of this episode to see it in action.

It begins by establishing the location.

We see some sort of shop on a street corner, with a single car passing by to show that this is a visited but not busy part of town.

Focusing in on the shop, we can guess by its name and the chalkboard next to the door that it is a cafe.

Moving inside, yet retaining a connection to the outside through the window taking up a large part of the shot, our suspicions are confirmed via the menu and the two drinks. We also see a tuft of hair, which transitions us from the where to the who.

Oreki, with a puzzled look on his face, staring straight ahead.

Chitanda, nervous and concerned, looking down and to the side.

As the ticking of a clock fades in, we see the clock itself, establishing the presence of time, which seems to slow to a crawl as Oreki waits for Chitanda to gather up her nerve to ask her question.

After each of these elements has been introduced separately, it moves to a distance shot which encompasses all three and shows their physical relationships to each other.

It quickly goes through a sequence of shots, first focusing on Chitanda's mouth as she attempts to speak, then on Oreki bracing himself for what will come out of her mouth, then back to the distance shot as Chitanda fails to get the words out. Suddenly the ticking stops, and the motion of the clock pendulum itself stops, and Bach's Air on the G String begins. This theme has been established as symbolizing the irresistible fascination Chitanda holds for Oreki back in the first episode, where it appeared when Oreki found himself handing over his club application to her. Its appearance now indicates that Oreki would like to tear himself away from the table and refuse to listen to Chitanda, but cannot bring himself to do so.

Instead, to break the silence he turns away and asks the Master for another cup of coffee, as we cut to a shot showing the physical space between those two.

Again, a quick sequence of cuts to illustrate Chitanda gathering courage to speak and Oreki gathering courage to listen. This time, as Chitanda actually manages to get a few words out, we have a tight closeup on her mouth. Her hands are shown for the first time, clenched into fists, the sign of resolve.

We move being increasingly tighter closeups of Oreki's eye and the clock pendulum, as the tension he feels, enhanced by the inexorable ticking, grows ever more. (As a side note, the heart shape of the pendulum could be a sly reference to budding love.)

Finally, Chitanda's hands, which have been kept in her lap this whole time, raise up. Her head also lifts up, as the camera follows. She has made her decision.

Note that up to now, everything has been seen through a slightly washed-out, pastel shade, which establishes a unique atmosphere. Now, as Chitanda finally asks Oreki for her favor, the coloration returns to the ordinary look of the show. The "spell" has been broken; we are back to the real world. The camera pulls back from Chitanda to where Oreki is sitting across the table from her, as he now comes out from being caught up in staring at her to needing to figure out how he is going to respond to her request.

I could continue analyzing the rest of the scene, but I've put enough pictures in this post already. And I could pick apart most of the scenes in the show in a similar manner. You can make the argument that Hyouka's direction is too unsubtle in what it wants to convey, but not that it is incompetent or artistically bankrupt.

duckroll

^

Good post, but this also illustrates how "boring" the show is in terms of keeping the interest of someone who doesn't really care about the content of the scene (and what this point why should anyone care?). By the middle part of the screenshots, it's starting to lose my interest because as visually interesting the direction tries to be, NOTHING IS HAPPENING. It's a 7 minute scene where literally two people sit at a cafe and try to have a conversation. They're not even talking, they are TRYING to talk but it's written in such an obnoxious way because of character flaws, it is almost unbearable. >_<

^

Good post, but this also illustrates how "boring" the show is in terms of keeping the interest of someone who doesn't really care about the content of the scene (and what this point why should anyone care?). By the middle part of the screenshots, it's starting to lose my interest because as visually interesting the direction tries to be, NOTHING IS HAPPENING. It's a 7 minute scene where literally two people sit at a cafe and try to have a conversation. They're not even talking, they are TRYING to talk but it's written in such an obnoxious way because of character flaws, it is almost unbearable. >_<

I'm not trying to defend the content of the show in this instance, simply how KyoAni is handling that content.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would care more about Hyouka if Eru said:

"The truth is, I... I have a dick."

Then she whips out her 8 inch girlpenis and rapes Oreki.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ginga e Kickoff 6

Yay, first episode in weeks that I've seen because of the 5 episode preview thing ages ago. Basically a set up episode, but so much Kobayashi~~~~~~.

Geneijin

It would certainly have needed more episodes. It probably would have taken the current run just for them to work out why people were pushed into the TV if they stuck close to the game.
If they stuck close to the game, the anime would have been 50 episodes if they really wanted to follow its pace, and it could have worked with how much content they have to work with.

i didn't think there was anything wrong as an adaptation they tried to cram all the necessary things in without bothering with a ep by social link arc each time..

The characterisation of a original silent character was also well done For me p4 Anmation is nothing but a well deserved sucess.
The anime doesn't work beyond fan titillation for preexisting fans. The Velvet Room opening scene that occurs in each episode is mostly useless, serves as bad filler/recap, and rarely dictates any tone for the upcoming episode or offers any introspection, the adaptation retains some of the bad tonal shifts from the original game which never worked like Yosuke needing to go the bathroom, character development is usually back-loaded and forced, editing tends to be poor and makes for awkward tonal shifts and weird transitions like in the episode they were
following Kanji
or Episode 12 especially, Yu doesn't work as a character nor has any characterization besides being a fanservice character for fans of the game as he has no identifiable self, etc. There's really nothing to care about emotionally in the anime because it's all so poorly introduced (and even ignored) for newcomers unless you already had that investment from playing the game, whom the anime mainly targets.

Also, the assumption each social link would have needed an arc is highly disagreeable. That's a lazy yet most easiest way to integrate them, but it doesn't work with how they portrayed Yu. For example, what's even more unforgivable is how any explanation for him possessing and fusing personas from the perspective of his party members is merely tossed aside as small humor. There's rarely any acknowledgement why Yu is a standout beyond assuming his role within the story, which makes him boring to follow really.

Eden of the East 04
Well, this was a super exposition episode. Yet, it went by pretty quickly and there were pretty purple lights so it wasn't all that bad.
The dream sequence or flashback or whatever of the aliens was pretty wtf. Pretty disappointing that the nice doctor bit the dust so quickly.

Branduil

^

Well obviously no show will work if you don't care about what's happening, no matter how well-made it is. I don't think anyone can make a substantial argument that the show isn't well-directed, though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
^

Anime is a visual medium.

duckroll

Well obviously no show will work if you don't care about what's happening, no matter how well-made it is. I don't think anyone can make a substantial argument that the show isn't well-directed, though.

I think it's mostly a consensus that it is a well-directed but relatively boring show for most of the run so far. You won't find an argument from me there!

If Prussia is so awesome, why did he disappear after the first episode of Hetalia: World Series? I am eight episodes in and there is no sign of him
using his diary logs to harm the other countries

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The funniest thing about Hyouka is it takes the most "banal" concept imaginable and executes it with far more effort than it really deserves - with creative visual cues, deep atmosphere focus, classical music, top-tier production values etc.

Even weirder is it feels like the staff are genuinely self-aware that the material is "boring" hence they try to make it seem more interesting than it really is!

Personally I'm enjoying the result either way, but I can definitely understand why a lot of people are getting bored as hell by it.

Talking strictly premise, I don't think you could say Nichijou or K-ON premise were "banal" or "uninteresting" the same way I'm describing Hyouka, as their writing and story was perfectly competent for the type of show they were attempting to make. (so it was really a strict preference whether you enjoyed the type of show or not that affected your enjoyment of both shows)

Hyouka on the other hand I have no idea who it's target audience is or what it's intended for. I guess you could say it's aimed at people like me and 7th, who take the idea of "execution > premise" quite literally!

Branduil

I think it's mostly a consensus that it is a well-directed but relatively boring show for most of the run so far. You won't find an argument from me there!

I definitely think it's a show that won't interest a lot of people. The writing is nowhere near great, but I find the character interaction and direction entertaining enough that it works for me.

cajunator

Banned
fkl0d.png

http://www.funimation.com/haibane-renmei

Sources seem to point to a potential September release.

niiiiice. Time to double-dip!

Given how expensive the original DVDs have gotten, that is VERY good news!

Are they that expensive? I haven't really checked.

Cajun, have you watched Garzey's Wing dub yet?

Not yet :( I had to attend a monthly safety meeting and then came home and went directly to sleep. Now its time for work again.

Eden of the East 05
Yep, you definitely want to give her a hug after this episode.
This is a good build up episode with people getting introduced, many things happening, it is just leading to something big that should happen soon.

I know we discussed it only a couple days ago, but a nice new summer season chart has just been posted.

It's not on the chart, but the noitaminA series are set for July 5.

Now that I get a good look at some of the descriptions, I'll also probably be checking out Campione, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Ebiten, Joshiraku, Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai, and

............................................................................................................................................. ......................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................................... .............................................................................................................................................. ............................................................................................................................................. .......................................................................................................................................... ... ...................................... ...........................................................................................BLOOD LAD!?

When the hell did that get announced for summer!? Holy fuckin shit! Hype for summer x 50000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom