• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Brothers 4:
Shocking news: Space Brothers is really good. The continued job interview focus is a really interesting concept in that stories don't tend to be centered around this sort of subject matter, and I really enjoyed
the direction in the final interview, and the way the last question was asked
. It was nice to get a couple of scenes showing Kenji on his own in this episode, and next episode should be very different with
Mutta going to Houston and meeting up with Hibito. I wasn't really expecting that to happen.

Space Brothers 4

Gratuitous English! Gratuitous background animation! Gratuitous imaginary kissing! Yep, it's as great as ever.

I noticed in this episode how effective the music and sound effects can be in creating the comedy. The show understands that sudden silence is a very useful tool.

sonicmj1

Tsuritama 2

A better episode. When Haru realizes that he has to tone down his shit, he becomes much more tolerable. And I like Yuki's progression so far.

Despite all the color, this might be my least favorite show that I'm following this season, but it's such a stacked season that it's not saying too much. I kind of want to see more of what the deal is with Natsuki's family.

Sankarea 3

rjQzh.png

gdb2Y.png

Yet another really cool shot in the climax of the episode, implying both the violence of the event offscreen and its impact on Furuya.

Holy crap, it's three excellent episodes in a row.

The emotional anchor for the show in these early episodes has been Furuya's grief and Rea's despair and helplessness. While the tragedy of her situation was well-established last time, you could really see the toll it was taking on her here. Her hopelessness made the ending as powerful as it was.

Now that
Furuya has his cat back and Rea is (presumably) freed from her father's clutches for the moment
, I wonder if the anime will be able to keep it together. Anything can happen from here.

Koroviev

Eureka Seven AO 2

The music direction is amazing. Between episode 1 and episode 2, there's such a breadth of musical pieces. I love the lilting violin at the
flashback of AO's mum
and that sublime piano during the end. The opening guitar riff when
AO was about to crash into the Scub Coral was also great.
The composer, Nakamura Kouji, is doing an excellent job, considering his speciality is apparently guitar/electronica.

As usual, the visual direction is also good. Loved this moment in particular:

Love it when the background demonstrates the character's perception and standing between each other. Ao feels disgusted with his hair, distancing himself from others and the building in the background also physically stratifies him from Naru. But Naru, like the aircraft in the sky, closes the distance between both sides and hugs Ao.

Not to mention I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff <_<

So far, AO interests me more than Eureka Seven at this point. My only complaint is that they should clear up a bit more of the terminology, like they did this episode by describing that
G-Monsters emerge from Scub Bursts
. In comparison, Eureka Seven defined the terms clearly in the first episode.

Out of curiosity, where are you watching this?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Aoi Hana 01

yNr88.jpg

Really like the OP theme.
I figured something was going on between Fumi and Chizu early on, but the girl looked devastated when she saw that 'congratulations' cake for Chizu. And they're cousins too? Saucy.

Looking forward to the rest.

Man, I love those character designs. Looks like just the thing to wash the taste of Strawberry Panic out of my mouth.

Narag

Space Brothers 4

nnt docomo becoming nnt dooom seems rather ominous. Still enthralled by this show. Haven't felt like watching much this week but when I realized what time it was, I went straight to CR to catch this. Another great episode.
I'm liking the idea of Mutta going to NASA as I'm looking forward to interaction with his brother. But more importantly, pug time!

Hayate no Gotoku end

kC70P.jpg

Heartwarming ending is heartwarming. Not very funny though, but ah well.

I really don't know why I dropped this 5 years ago. Quite a good series with likable characters, humorous and poignant moments, and a LOT of references. While I don't think it's amazing or anything, it's rather consistent. The low points are merely dull while the high points are very amusing even if they aren't laugh out loud funny (with a few exceptions maybe).

I really love the character interactions, particularly between Hayate and Nagi. Turning their rather subpar situations into a wacky-antic filled life is quite satisfying to see and doesn't really feel out of place like it would in many other series. And of course, we're reminded every now and then about their problems without it feeling like the audience is being manipulated. Really well-done stuff. Can't wait to see how they interact in season 2 and eventually the manga.

I really would recommend those that are looking for something to temporarily fill the Gintama void to check this out if they haven't already. While not as good, there are definitely a ton of similarities. 4th wall breaking, female protagonist voiced by Rie Kugimiya, loads and loads of references, characters named Katsura and Tama, Wakamoto, and the occasional action arc (though less serious than Gintama's). Not many sex jokes though, but the humor is right in line with Gintama even if it isn't as over the top.

Now onto season 2!

trejo

Fate/Zero 15

Well that's finally over. The 'showdown' between
Kariya and Tohsaka
felt way too half-assed to me. It was little more than a staring contest, basically. I mean, he had to have realized at some point his
bugs
were doing fuck all, right? Also, that fire effect looked downright pitiful. I thought Ufotable were awesome at CG?

And speaking of which, Berserker continues to look like an ugly undiscernable mess of CG and filters with no real character whatsoever and I really hope this gets adressed at some point.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Aoi Hana 02

Poor Fumi, can't blame her for avoiding Chizu. The scene where Akira was comforting Fumi in her bed was nice.

I'm guessing Kyouko and Yasuko are going to be the obstacles between Fumi and Akira?

Soma

Fate/Zero 15
And speaking of which, Berserker continues to look like an ugly undiscernable mess of CG and filters with no real character whatsoever and I really hope this gets adressed at some point.
From what I've glossed over in the light novel, I believe it will be addressed eventually and I absolutely cannot wait for that in the anime.

That said, I actually kinda like the CG-ness for Berserker especially given his enchantment power that conceals his status to others.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fate/Zero 15

Well that's finally over. The 'showdown' between
Kariya and Tohsaka
felt way too half-assed to me. It was little more than a staring contest, basically. I mean, he had to have realized at some point his
bugs
were doing fuck all, right? Also, that fire effect looked downright pitiful. I thought Ufotable were awesome at CG?

Is there anything that explains why the Matou are still considered one of the great magical families when
their bug magic is so easily nerfed by other magic and Zouken is really only interested in prolonging his own life
? It makes me wonder why Tokiomi would
give one of his daughters to Zouken
when the Matou haven't really
proven themselves all that worthy of continuing their line
. I know that Tokiomi's justification is that
no magical family can have two heirs to the art
, but why he would
pick the Matou specifically to save from extinction
is beyond me. I'm probably forgetting something obvious, though.

duckroll

Is there anything that explains why the Matou are still considered one of the great magical families when
their bug magic is so easily nerfed by other magic and Zouken is really only interested in prolonging his own life
, but why he would

I don't feel we have really seen a good example of Matou magic though.
I mean the show basically goes out of its way to highlight that Kariya is a prodigal son who just tries to crash course his way into becoming a Master using extreme and dumb measures within a year or so.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bamboo Blade 1

G7Nef.jpg

Not sure if creepy or moe. In any case, this show will suffice as my sports show to watch since Chihaya is no more. In between I might watch the prequel thingy for Saki Moejang.

This show is 100x than the premise should allow it to be.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't feel we have really seen a good example of Matou magic though.
I mean the show basically goes out of its way to highlight that Kariya is a prodigal son who just tries to crash course his way into becoming a Master using extreme and dumb measures within a year or so.

That could be. I think I'm just still reeling from just how easily
Kariya went down against Tokiomi
. I should have expected it considering that
Kariya has no formal training
, but I think I was still expecting something more than
giant mosquito spam

duckroll

That could be. I think I'm just still reeling from just how easily
Kariya went down against Tokiomi
. I should have expected it considering that
Kariya has no formal training
, but I think I was still expecting something more than
giant mosquito spam

Yes.
Kariya is a disappointment to his father, to Sakura, to himself, and to the audience. What a loser. :)

Makoto

This show is 100x than the premise should allow it to be.
This is good to hear. The first episode of Bamboo Blade doesn't make it seem like something special but my interest is piqued enough to believe that it could be better than that episode has led me to believe. That and it's gotten a bunch of praise from the big anime sites.

frostbyte

, but why he would

I don't think they're really considered one of the great magical families anymore, especially since their magical blood is slowing dying out for centuries. I guess their former reputation/prestige and their contribution to the creation of Command Spells cement them as a great family.

Not to mention the last real magus of the Matou family is Major F/SN Spoilers:
Zouken, since his son, Byakuya, doesn't have a Magic Circuit, while his other son, Kariya, had potential but left the family. Shinji doesn't have Magic Circuits due to Byakuya not having any either.
Kariya underperforming isn't really surprising since he's had no childhood training and his only method of attacking is through the stupid
bugs due to the Crest Worm inserted in him

I don't think Tokiomi really 'picked' the Matou. It just so happened Zouken needed an heir with a Magical Circuit and had called upon a past pact between the families.

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes (dub) 6-9

Alpha Stigma is probably one of my coolest powers in anime, they handle it nicely in the anime and Ryner is really cool both in that mode and out of it. Visuals seemed to be nice, ep 9 one of my favorite on the first disc.

Jarmel

Banned
So far, AO interests me more than Eureka Seven at this point. My only complaint is that they should clear up a bit more of the terminology, like they did this episode by describing that
G-Monsters emerge from Scub Bursts
. In comparison, Eureka Seven defined the terms clearly in the first episode.

I watched the episode three times and that still doesn't make sense. G-Monsters come from Scub Coral but also cause Bursts by destroying Scub Coral in which more monsers would come out but also causing large explosions?

trejo

Fate/Zero 16

Oh wow,
Kiritsugu is a right proper bastard, isn't he? I always thought Kayneth, Sola and to a lesser extent Lancer were some of the less interesting characters but that was still a pretty underhanded way to go out.

I'm also noticing a certain pattern here. Some of the best episodes thus far involve Saber getting owned in some way or another. I am okay with this.

frostbyte

I watched the episode three times and that still doesn't make sense. G-Monsters come from Scub Coral but also cause Bursts by destroying Scub Coral in which more monsers would come out but also causing large explosions?

Hmm...let me get this straight. Scub Corals may randomly appear on Earth and they may cause Bursts that cause a beam of light to rain down around the Scub Coral. These Bursts may produce G-Monsters. When exactly does it say that destroying Scub Coral will cause monsters to come out? I can't find it.

and this confusion is just testimony to how confusing this is :/

Pooya

I hope in rest of Fate/Zero Tokiomi gets more screen time :( I actually like the character a lot, but he has done pretty much nothing after 16 episodes, more magic please :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hope in rest of Fate/Zero Tokiomi gets more screen time :( I actually like the character a lot, but he has done pretty much nothing after 16 episodes, more magic please :(

He has done more magic in the OP1 than he has done in the entire first season. Oh wait... I forgot about the Rin episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That doesn't sound good. Did she fuck up Wandering Son too?
I wouldn't say "fuck up". She just loses the plot for a while and goes into secondary characters that have nothing to do with the premise. I readily admit that if you don't mind slice of life stories, regardless of the topic at hand, it's perfectly fine. But if you're coming in wanting to read stories about being gay or having gender dysphoria in Japan, it's pretty frustrating at times.

Jarmel

Banned
Hmm...let me get this straight. Scub Corals may randomly appear on Earth and they may cause Bursts that cause a beam of light to rain down around the Scub Coral. These Bursts may produce G-Monsters. When exactly does it say that destroying Scub Coral will cause monsters to come out? I can't find it.

and this confusion is just testimony to how confusing this is :/

At 4:51 Gazelle states that G-Monsters come out of Scub Bursts.

Although rewatching this again, Secrets come out of somewhere (which is apparently what we saw in ep 2) and they destroy the Coral to have Scub Bursts in which G-Monsters come out of.

Apparently though the writers don't know what the fuck they're doing as in the first episode they stated that the pink beam of light around the 8 minute marker is a Scub Burst. That would imply that what we saw is a G-Monster. So somebody is not keeping track of the terminology.

Uchip

Banned

Although rewatching this again, Secrets come out of somewhere (which is apparently what we saw in ep 2) and they destroy the Coral to have Scub Bursts in which G-Monsters come out of.

Im still waiting for them to explain what an FP is
the flying cars? what does it stand for?

duckroll

Secrets = G-Monsters. G-Monsters are just the layman term for them. Whenever a Scub Burst occurs, Secrets tend to follow, attracted by something.

Im still waiting for them to explain what an FP is
the flying cars? what does it stand for?

Flying Platform I think. It's detailed in the official site.

wonzo

Banned
SPACE BROS 4

This was yet another pretty damn good episode.
I thought his answer to the last question was brilliant and I didn't see his brother calling him over to visit coming but due to that we'll finally get to see the SPACE PUG FUCK YES!

Awesome, Hyouka airs in about 10 hours. Very hyped for it.
i'm very much looking forward to it but it's no AKB0048!

It's not really yuri either!
(Damn Shimura)
But didn't
Fumi and Akira get together in the manga or did Shimura change that in a recent chapter? :(

edit: oh yeah, i agree that the focus shift to a minor character that lasted a few chapters was pretty damn annoying.

Jex

I just posted my detailed thoughts on Fate/Zero Ep16 in the proper thread. :)

It took you long enough, but now what else is there to say?

Well, apart from the fact that all the talk talk talk that's been endemic to this series since the extremely heavy first episode is really starting to pay off in spades. Not just in the amount of thing that are 'going down' but in the way that everything we have learned about these characters is being displayed in the story and events that unfold. It's very satisfying to see it all work out like this.

Jarmel

Banned
Secrets = G-Monsters. G-Monsters are just the layman term for them. Whenever a Scub Burst occurs, Secrets tend to follow, attracted by something.

Ok so Scub Bursts happen, G-Monsters and Scub Coral both come out. The international response team tries to stop G-Monsters from reaching the Scub Coral to prevent further monsters from coming out due to a new Scub Burst?

frostbyte

Kids on the Slope 2

Just amazing. The music direction is godly. I'm a fan of the distint shadows. I have no complaints. Intrigued with the
Christanity
plot thread and how it develops.

Lupin the Third Fujikoike 3

Love how the kid's Samurai friend song matched up with the beat of the music at one point. There's still some shadowing annoyances in the episode but I'm used to it.

DAT TRAIN SMOKE. Smoke has never been sexier.

and Goemon is so awesome. "Once again, I cut something worthless."

Fate/Zero 16

HOLY FUCK
SOLA UI

HOLY FUCK
PRIEST GUY

HOLY FUCK
LANCER

HOLY FUCK
KAYNETH AND SOLA UI

Kiritsugu is such a bastard. MAJOR F/SN SPOILERS:
I now totally understand Saber's reaction when Shirou tells Saber his father was Emiya. She must have had warning bells going off in her head.

duckroll

Ok so Scub Bursts happen, G-Monsters and Scub Coral both come out. The international response team tries to stop G-Monsters from reaching the Scub Coral to prevent further monsters from coming out due to a new Scub Bursts?

I'm not completely sure myself, but I'll try to break it down based on what I think I know. I'm sorry if it turns out to be wrong, since it's still a bit early to speculate on certain things imo.

Scub Burst is that they call an event where a piece of Scub Coral appears out of nowhere and causes great destruction to the environment. Whenever this occurs, a G-Monster (called Secrets by Generation Bleu) usually follows. There's a connection, almost like the G-Monster is attracted to the Scub Coral in some way.

Beyond that I don't really think we know exactly what happens if a G-Monster is left to its own devices. In ep1-2 it didn't seem like it was going after anything in particular, and just causing tons of random destruction. In fact, after the first Scub Burst, it blew up a bunch of stuff and then just disappeared later, along with the Scub Coral, only for another Burst to happen again the next day.

Seems like there's some sort of unstable dimensional shifting going on if you ask me...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Poyopoyo 16

Show's still cute, but in a way this sounded like a recap episode? Kinda wish they didn't use the same jokes all the time.

Korra no Densetsu 03
Best action this season, fuck that mecha show everyone is crazy about. That said the CGI backgrounds and vehicles are really distracting, if only a small tarnish in the beautiful tapestry of this animu. Additionally, Mako being characterised as something more than your traditional tsundere boy love shoujo interest was welcome.
Even the fire ferret was :cajun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But didn't
Fumi and Akira get together in the manga or did Shimura change that in a recent chapter? :(

edit: oh yeah, i agree that the focus shift to a minor character that lasted a few chapters was pretty damn annoying.

Aoi Hana manga

They do, but even that relationship has moved at a snail's pace for a while. It's only recently that they even had Akira actually deal with the "mechanics" of it all and whether or not she's actually interested in having sex with another woman
. I guess I should be happy that it's at least back on track after all that time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I got confused because Space Bros is next on my queue.
Next in line is Ore no Uma ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai.
Korra no Densetsu 3

Korra x Mako :3 :3

The one big fight was interesting because it evoked a typical Fullmetal Alchemist battle, with Ed and Al typically relying on
making a wall out of the dirt as some kind of shield
. I suppose when your characters can make things appear out of thin air, the fighting can be a lot more dynamic and interesting.
Of course, there's like none of the heroic bloodshed manliness that comes with some of the best FMA:B fights, but I suppose those will come later. Or, at least, I assume so.

The actual story and the world? I'm mostly soft on it but because it doesn't really seem all that new and exciting. Benders abusing their powers on its own isn't really grabbing me (oh hey, Mako is like
Batman
. Great.) and the whole
Amon
thing seems rather low-stakes as well, even though they make it seem like it's a game-changer.

I'm hoping shit gets real in the next few episodes... but if the primary audience is children, I guess that probably won't happen.
Now that you mention it, it does feel like the closest thing to this in the Japanese side of things is Fullmetal Alchemist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom