• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
:D
I love that realization. Once you realize it and rewatch the hints are very evident.

It's so weird. I was talking to a couple of friends who had already watched the series before and none of them noticed it originally, despite the blatant hints.

It's an awesome realization. I actually started liking the series more after my brother told me, hahaha.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's so weird. I was talking to a couple of friends who had already watched the series before and none of them noticed it originally, despite the blatant hints.

It's an awesome realization. I actually started liking the series more after my brother told me, hahaha.

Now go watch Unlimited Blade Works. It'll be so in your face obvious you won't miss it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does stuff like that event footage usually make it into U.S. releases or does that typically go missing? I haven't really paid a lot of attention to those.

The mini-drama and its vocal song will probably not make it.
I'd assume the textless OP/ED will (hopefully all versions of them), and maybe the soundtrack. Soundtracks seem to be reasonably common pack-ins in N.A. releases.
IS came with the OST and the radio stuff and subtitled Japanese commentaries. That's probably as close to a premium release that they've come here.

Kuroko's Basketball ep 3
tumblr_m2uy41tzPG1qzd219o1_500.gif

Pretty stunning episode with the basketball action. Character interactions are pretty cool. Kise is great with Kagami making things hilarious with how he reacts to Kagami, Kuroko is funny with Kise since they treat each other so differently or rather like equals not to mention Kise is just funny on his own with his personality, and all three are just on a completely different level with everyone else even in understanding. Its hard to pick a favorite. That was litrally the most intense five minutes of basketball Ive ever seen, so fast paced.

Dont understand why they had to waste part of the animation on just showing a hoop being lowered for setup. The music is also pretty interesting, oddly fits well. I really hope Kuroko doesnt lose his edge in just one game, or else then he would definitely have to be the weakest of the Generation of Miracles or whatever.

frostbyte

I decided I need to stop getting so emotionally attached to fictional characters and just watch the story and pretty animation. I miss out on tons of good fiction because I can't stand the characters or hate them as if they were real people. I get to strung up too much.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the Fate/Zero.

Anyhoo.

Fate/Zero 15:

Didn't you say you were going to go through F/SN first? Did you already finish it?

Ah yes the final few minutes were quite compelling. The sudden rainfall that gives way to a sparkling scene in the sunlight. The episode ending was pretty well crafted I think.

I liked the scene with the blood in hydrangeas and the petals floating all over the place but the sudden rainfall felt a bit too sudden and the subsequent return of the sun was a bit too sudden again.

I enjoyed how the atmosphere and scene were set up but the rapidly changing weather is jarring to me :/

I love that realization. Once you realize it and rewatch the hints are very evident.

The hints are quite evident indeed but do you know anyone who was able to pick up on that and connect the dots in just the Fate route?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Now go watch Unlimited Blade Works. It'll be so in your face obvious you won't miss it.

Oh, they don't outright say it in the film? Huh.

But, yeah, I'm already after the BD. I'll also play the original visual novel before I keep going with Fate/Zero (although the urge to just watch episode 2 right now is strong).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Didn't you say you were going to go through F/SN first? Did you already finish it?

I watched a couple more episodes, but missed the better quality animation of F/Z. That and as I said before, I kinda need to grow up a bit. I gotta stop being so damn in need of the characters being good at heart.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh, they don't outright say it in the film? Huh.

But, yeah, I'm already after the BD. I'll also play the original visual novel before I keep going with Fate/Zero (although the urge to just watch episode 2 right now is strong).

They do outright say it. Shirou figures it out himself.

The hints are quite evident indeed but do you know anyone who was able to pick up on that and connect the dots in just the Fate route?

I don't know anyone personally... actually I think when the show was originally airing someone spoiled it for me, so I already knew ;-;

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yami To Boushi 9

The ninjas are easily defeated in a slidshow of blue swirls that would make Shaft proud. And then there was some actual fighting animation.

then Deen decides to tell us what the show is about,
it's about Garguanta and Lilith doing stuffs
but I wasn't about to guess that anytime soon. Apparently the bookworlds are all just the figments of people's imaginations.

So this was a pretty standard episode of Yami, really. The editing and animation (and everything else, really) of all the ninja scenes was especially bad, even by Yami standards.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yami to Boushi to Hon to Tabibito 09:

NO WAY. Yami actually revisited something that happened in a past episode? That.........explained some stuff?
At some point in the past, Lillith was really horny for Gargantua for whatever reason, so as an expression of her dickthirst she sucks him into a blank book and performs DEEN Instrumentality, giving him his own world to create as he pleases.

In his infinite imagination, he makes a castle.
Oh and something something unlocking memories something. I still have no idea how any of this ties into anything.

Oh yeah, there was a conclusion to the ninja shit. Something about a magical comb.

Kagami

IS came with the OST and the radio stuff and subtitled Japanese commentaries. That's probably as close to a premium release that they've come here.
Yeah I remember you talking about that before.
Sounds like a pretty nice release.
Although it only had two commentaries instead of all four?

You...you..Hipster!

*runs to room, tears in eyes*

You'd think valuing action more than talking would make me less of a hipster.

But honestly, I never loved F/Z or anything. It wasn't even in my honorable mentions for last year. I find the story immensely boring and thought FSN's had a much better setup. I didn't finish that, but that was at a time where I didn't finish a lot of stuff compared to now where I finish everything unless it's really boring me like Penguin Drum or Fantastic Children.

Really, one of my few reasons for watching was Ryuunosuke and Caster,
both of who are now gone. The only person left that doesn't bore the hell out of me is Rider.

Oh, I see. Looking forward to it.

And I was just rewatching a couple of scenes
with Archer, and, hell, he even makes good tea! Those sneaky Type-Moon bastards.

The film does not do any justice to the actual conflict between the two, though. All of the character development is cut right out, including the main reason why the two cannot accept each other.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah I remember you talking about that before.
Sounds like a pretty nice release.
Although it only had two commentaries instead of all four?
Actually it had three - one was on the last disc. But yeah, they still cut one of them for some reason.

Ultimadrago

You'd think valuing action more than talking would make me less of a hipster.

But honestly, I never loved F/Z or anything. It wasn't even in my honorable mentions for last year. I find the story immensely boring and thought FSN's had a much better setup. I didn't finish that, but that was at a time where I didn't finish a lot of stuff compared to now where I finish everything unless it's really boring me like Penguin Drum or Fantastic Children.

Really, one of my few reasons for watching was Ryuunosuke/Caster,
both of who are now gone. The only person left that doesn't bore the hell out of me is Rider.

I keed, I keed on the Hipster title!

Though surprised you're still with it now if the story lacks that much engagement for ya. Finishing everything unless it's painfully dull is a seemingly odd creed to have.

Though, I'm not arguing against a desire to see more of the episode's battle. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of it, but I enjoyed the execution of the interruption. Poor knights...can't have a one-on-one fight to the death in peace these days...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The film does not do any justice to the actual conflict between the two, though. All of the character development is cut right out, including the main reason why the two cannot accept each other.

Which is why he then needs to play the visual novel :>

I keed, I keed on the Hipster title!

Though surprised you're still with it now if the story lacks that much engagement for ya. Finishing everything unless it's painfully dull is a seemingly odd creed to have.

Though, I'm not arguing against a desire to see more of the episode's battle. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of it, but I enjoyed the execution of the interruption. Poor knights...can't have a one-on-one fight to the death in peace these days...

One of the reasons I'm actually sticking with it is because of Urobuchi, which makes me a hypocrite for being anti-staff whore.

frostbyte

I watched a couple more episodes, but missed the better quality animation of F/Z. That and as I said before, I kinda need to grow up a bit. I gotta stop being so damn in need of the characters being good at heart.

Well, at least there are some truly "good at heart" characters in Waver and Rider. and I don't really think this is a matter of growing up or not. We all have our own tastes and it's natural something doesn't gel too well with us.

I thought it was ok as a film. I mean, how much can they pack into ~2 hours of animation?The VN will be more detailed and therefore far superior no matter what. DEEN picked the most salient scenes to try and get the main point of UBW across, although less said about how well it was translated into the anime medium.

and to be honest, I think the UBW movie is for F/SN fans really. The movie's almost incomprehensible to people who haven't watched/read F/SN before; it relies too much on the source material to be understandable to outsiders of the franchise and it fastforwards through to the most salient scenes only, making it seem very barebones.

Yes, but everybody should know that by now :>

Yes, bring more people over to the dark side, muahahahaha.

and why don't we have a dedicated Fate thread?

Ozma 6 (end)

Overall a 5 / 10 anime. Really the anime started off too slow, then finally showed promise, but by this time the anime was already over. Characters failed to develop more than what they were initially and overall had ugly unappealing designs. There was wasted potential with the action and effects. The action scenes that it did have were riddled with acronyms that made it hard to follow. The one twist was the most memorable moment. The OP felt lazy. I did like how the sand was just like water, missile visuals, and the dominoes scene.

On ep 6 itself
it was pretty epic though they went back on the twist to make it not a twist anymore, and really there was no resolution with the antagonists on account of the protagonists which was odd and just anticlimactic. The laser was hot though as well as the actually electric weapon.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So...did ya like it?

Well the animation continues to be great and the story itself is very interesting... but I'd have to say that I really dislike most of the masters. I'm enjoying the spectral though, it's very pretty.

Fate / Zero is a conflicting series for me.

Makoto

Bamboo Blade 1

G7Nef.jpg

Not sure if creepy or moe. In any case, this show will suffice as my sports show to watch since Chihaya is no more. In between I might watch the prequel thingy for Saki Moejang.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 10:

i don't even

no really

there was Space Japan, and then there was just.............space. WHY THE FUCK IS ANY OF THIS HAPPENING?!?

Lilith's ass. Mummified corpses. Gargantua. Voluptuous fox girls. I think that Yami was originally created as some kind of diabolical psychological experiment in which people are shown a series of random images and are forced to combine them into a narrative. There's no way that this was ever aired on television with the intent to entertain. I feel like my human rights haven't been respected. This show has to violate the Geneva Convention somehow, right? RIGHT?

frostbyte

Eureka Seven AO 2

The music direction is amazing. Between episode 1 and episode 2, there's such a breadth of musical pieces. I love the lilting violin at the
flashback of AO's mum
and that sublime piano during the end. The opening guitar riff when
AO was about to crash into the Scub Coral was also great.
The composer, Nakamura Kouji, is doing an excellent job, considering his speciality is apparently guitar/electronica.

As usual, the visual direction is also good. Loved this moment in particular:
Love it when the background demonstrates the character's perception and standing between each other. Ao feels disgusted with his hair, distancing himself from others and the building in the background also physically stratifies him from Naru. But Naru, like the aircraft in the sky, closes the distance between both sides and hugs Ao.

Not to mention I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff <_<

So far, AO interests me more than Eureka Seven at this point. My only complaint is that they should clear up a bit more of the terminology, like they did this episode by describing that
G-Monsters emerge from Scub Bursts
. In comparison, Eureka Seven defined the terms clearly in the first episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strawberry Panic 12

TWELVE FUCKING EPISODES FOR THIS AND EVEN MORE TEASING

The awkward French was kinda funny but nowhere near as hilarious as the dumb angsty talk about the students being birds stuck in a cage.

Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Aoi Hana 01

yNr88.jpg

Really like the OP theme.
I figured something was going on between Fumi and Chizu early on, but the girl looked devastated when she saw that 'congratulations' cake for Chizu. And they're cousins too? Saucy.

Looking forward to the rest.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Aoi Hana 01

yNr88.jpg

Really like the OP theme.
I figured something was going on between Fumi and Chizu early on, but the girl looked devastated when she saw that 'congratulations' cake for Chizu. And they're cousins too? Saucy.

Looking forward to the rest.

Good choice, Aoi Hana is the best true yuri show, though by some accounts, Simoun is close.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought the anime doesn't even have any yuri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom