• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You know how sometimes a show introduces a new character to shake things up, except it back fires if the character is completely obnoxious and brings with him plot elements which the audience for that show do not want? And usually in such a case all the existing characters in the show start to act out of character with that person around, because the show wasn't designed to support this sort of character dynamic? Yeah, it's like that.
A case of The Scrappy?

/XX/

It was a number of characters, really. However, the way they acted was in direct proportion to the 'new character' because they reacted to him.
You know how sometimes a show introduces a new character to shake things up, except it back fires if the character is completely obnoxious and brings with him plot elements which the audience for that show do not want? And usually in such a case all the existing characters in the show start to act out of character with that person around, because the show wasn't designed to support this sort of character dynamic? Yeah, it's like that.
I see. Let's hope the narrative doesn't pay too much attention to this character in the future, then (if it is possible now)...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 07:

j2H1rl.jpg

Fun fact: this scene was directly modeled after the interior of Brains Base's office.

The historical Matsuo Bashou shunned the social circles of poets in Edo and lived in a straw hut.

Sengoku Collection Matsuo Bashou renovates cafes with a haiku theme to bring in more customers.

Fuck this episode was boring, and to make it even worse, we finally have a character that matches Kanetsugu in hideousness.

She looks like a fucking brontosaurus from the side or something. At last, I finally feel like I'm suffering when I watch this show again.

This week's background highlights:

...actually, there are none. So boring. And there was also this:

A CG ceiling fan. Bad Brains Base. You're supposed to make this show less ugly.

Jex

But it's no longer a 10/10! It might as well be a 0 now.

In all seriousness, I really don't like the introduction of this new character and the strange direction it's taken the show. I mean,
is he literally scheming to separate Karou and Sen for his own personal goals while pretending to be the nice guy? If so, that's the kind of stupid plot that really doesn't belong on this show.

I don't even understand where this whole plot-line came from, it almost feels like some other writer injected into the show to MIX THINGS UP but it's just a horrible mistake for all involved. It's just feels incredibly forced.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In all seriousness, I really don't like the introduction of this new character and the strange direction it's taken the show. I mean,
is he literally scheming to separate Karou and Sen for his own personal goals while pretending to be the nice guy? If so, that's the kind of stupid plot that really doesn't belong on this show.

I don't even understand where this whole plot-line came from, it almost feels like some other writer injected into the show to MIX THINGS UP but it's just a horrible mistake for all involved. It's just feels incredibly forced.
I'm sure we can blame the source material on this and absolve Watanabe-sama of all guilt. The direction remained consistent despite the melodrama introduced.

What did she add though? She didnt do much of anything in the second one, and dont you mean episode 7?

I was mostly referring to her in the first part anyway.

On a side note, I'm kinda disappointed that Sentai licensed Tsuritama since I at least think it'll be unlikely we'll ever get this awesome looking box or at least artwork in the NA release.
Then again, we probably never would have gotten this, but it is such a cool box.

But it's no longer a 10/10! It might as well be a 0 now.
It can recover with enough clever maneuvering involved, though it's definitely more difficult to steer arc-centric productions around, compared to episodic series anyway. That's why Fujikoike is still very enjoyable, because (until I watch this latest sub tomorrow) the quality episodes outnumber the middling ones 2 to 3. And it's episodic and variable enough that it can recover quickly and without compromise.

Seeing as I'm going to view KotS after the fact, I'm not going to get too involved in this discussion.

My my, hosannainexcelsis. Don't you think you can say something like that without mentioning what you think are examples of "10/10" works...

Sure. For me, a 10/10 means that I have absolutely no complaints about a work, there was no nagging issue I wish it would have handled differently. A memorable work of such high execution that it's hard to believe it actually exists. Things like Gauche the Cellist, Whisper of the Heart, or Mushi-shi. I try not to take a perfect score lightly.

Even before this latest episode (which I am not watching for now), I had issues with some aspects of Kids on the Slope' visual style, which didn't entirely mesh together, and its pacing, which at times was too fast for its own good. So despite how much I've enjoyed it, I could never consider it a 10/10 show.

Sengoku Collection 07
Can't even find a decent image for this episode.

Boring episode
Nothing really happens here
Not really worth watching

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
[Kid's on the Slope] - 6

How big are my problems with this weeks episode? They look like this -

+

=

I am not even kidding in the slightest. I mean, like, that's literally what the episode was.

I don't want to talk about it.

You've just convinced me to SKIP THIS EPISODE FOREVER.

/XX/

Sure. For me, a 10/10 means that I have absolutely no complaints about a work, there was no nagging issue I wish it would have handled differently. A memorable work of such high execution that it's hard to believe it actually exists. Things like Gauche the Cellist, Whisper of the Heart, or Mushi-shi. I try not to take a perfect score lightly.

Even before this latest episode (which I am not watching for now), I had issues with some aspects of Kids on the Slope' visual style, which didn't entirely mesh together, and its pacing, which at times was too fast for its own good. So despite how much I've enjoyed it, I could never consider it a 10/10 show.
Much appreciated, good sir. A score in a personal scale without knowing its calibration would have been meaningless.

Jex

That's just too reasonable for this forum.

jbug617

Banned
Sakamichi No Apollon 6

It's probably the worst episode so far but it's not that bad. Their bad is better than most other animes this season. The new guy is a threat to Kaoru's happiness.
That has to be Jun at the end right

Acid08

Banned
Been addicted to Initial D for the past couple months. Watched the series three times now, so good. Really hit the gear head inside of me.

Bunta is god tier.

Been addicted to Initial D for the past couple months. Watched the series three times now, so good. Really hit the gear head inside of me.

Bunta is god tier.

If you like Inital D then you should watch Bari Bari Densetsu. It's from the same guy, it has pretty much the same story but it's about motorbikes and has some stunning non-CG racing scenes (and a better soundtrack).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
On a side note, I'm kinda disappointed that Sentai licensed Tsuritama since I at least think it'll be unlikely we'll ever get this awesome looking box or at least artwork in the NA release.

Pretty much. Hope you like standard dvd cases and stock art!

mlWQm.jpg

Acid08

Banned
If you like Inital D then you should watch Bari Bari Densetsu. It's from the same guy, it has pretty much the same story but it's about motorbikes and has some stunning non-CG racing scenes (and a better soundtrack).
Better soundtrack?!

I don't see how anything can top the Stage 1 and 3 soundtracks but ill definitely check it out! Thanks!

Brazil

Sakamichi no Apollon 6

I guess the scene in which Ritsuko talked about "The Sound of Music" was interesting. But... That was painful to watch.

Like this, basically:

Ugh.

This new guy... He doesn't belong in this show.

Brazil

I suspect this will last for more than one episode!

I decided to just get it over with, and... Well, that didn't felt like an Apollon episode at all. The drama was so unbelievably forced. Hopefully they'll kill this new guy in the next one.

Ultimadrago

Aaah, the "Kill this character off already!" attitude.

I felt it not too long ago in Code Geass.

But in Apollon, his death would only cause more unwelcome drama!

Articalys

It's not really a bad episode per se... But there's this new character that comes in out of nowhere, brings in some forced drama and makes everyone watching feel bad.
This is more or less how I felt, though I'm still going to refrain from fully judging the new kid until his story arc is complete.
Also, I hate hate hate the whole fang-tooth thing on male characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom