• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

HXH R21
XVso5.jpg
Hisoka waiting for that fruit to ripen

hunter exam is over, after this mini arc can't wait to get to the nen part and the tournament, am salivating at the thought of watching the phantom troupe arc.

Shining Hearts: Bread of Happiness 5
tumblr_m46x86xecF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Melty! The only character I remember from the game's screenshots appeared. That was so nice. Anyway, what is Madara's purpose, if Rick is in charge of the menu and making stuff, then I dont understand. Minor, but doesnt a Meat Baguette go beyond the scope of a bakery (and he wants to add more meat to it, it looked huge).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 56

Kvki8.jpg

I couldn't stop laughing during that entire segment

Their faces during the argument about who should be Snow White were amazing.

iSJnu.jpg

You just don't see this kind of expression anymore #animeisdead

Anyway, this episode rocked from start to finish. Though you have to wonder about the constantly fluctuating state of Usagi's relationship with Mamoru, surely the rest of the Sailors
would respect that Usagi and Mamoru 1. have already hooked up in a past life and 2. hooked up again until their memories got wiped, and therefore they might back off a bit and give Usagi first choice?
Not that it matters too much, especially when I'm still relatively early in the season.

JCwfY.jpg

Being Usagi is suffering :(

I really like the villains so far, they aren't stupid or dumb or really "evil", but they're distinctly inhuman as well.
Like with An completely missing the point of the ending of Snow White.

AYAGt.jpg

NO

Poor An missed all her chances, it's her own fault for shutting Seijuro out though. At least she got her love pillow in the end~
REbbP.jpg

Zetman 7
tumblr_m42yq9D08C1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Wow this episode was awesome. I thought they needed to try to get Kouga out of the plot but if things like this will happen tag team and that friendship bonding, then we need more of Kouga/Alphas and Jin/Zet, of course with Jin doing 90% of the fighting since Alphas has some pretty dull skills anyway.

Ultimadrago

One of them stars in Fate/Zero Episode 10, while is called "Pizza Butt" and eats Pizza Hut while having great assets.

It was an easy decision!

(Though to be fair, I haven't seen FSN...)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
High five.

It was tough, but I chose C.C. Gluttony moe > zettai ryouiki.

Sengoku Collection 7

maybe it's just the stockholm syndrome kicking in but i actually kinda enjoyed this haiku laden episode until it started getting all emotional at around 3/4's of the way through.

The
completely random reunion between okama guy and his mom
was probably the worst moment in the show since WHY DO I HAVE TO WATCH ODA NOBUNAGA CHANGE HER CLOTHES

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It was tough, but I chose C.C. Gluttony moe > zettai ryouiki.

The
completely random reunion between okama guy and his mom
was probably the worst moment in the show since WHY DO I HAVE TO WATCH ODA NOBUNAGA CHANGE HER CLOTHES

But where else could you find that experience?

Articalys

Tsuritama 6

I was wondering when
the dragon/princess legend would show up in the main story
, so I'm looking forward to where things go from here.

tiff

Banned
2) They're too young anyway, so the whole thing just comes off as cute childhood crushes (or just being friendly, in the case of the other two).
3) They're young enough that, other than maybe Tomoka a little, they don't take romance/dating seriously and there's no real jealousy, because to them it's just something to giggle about.
Y'know, I never really thought of it that way.

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch 6

6ITra.jpg

More craaaazy dreams!

So more nightmares/dreams for little Yuno today. It seems
she kept the catepillar from the box of vegetables her parent gave her (which is now a cocoon) .

A rolling parallel with her own growth over the months perhaps?

NyMtb.jpg

Everyone's weekly dose of adorable widefaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Last day of testing for Yuno and she's hyped for the shackles to be unleashed! But disaster strikes when
Yuno forgets her eraser!
Nichijou! Don't be boppin', dawg! Also that very real anxiety of taking a multiple choice test and getting "too many" of the same letter answer in a row.

It's a very real problem, I tell ya's!

So, in a strangely straight-forward fashion, we follow Yuno through her testing. Her questions and thoughts being illustrated in the background.

RROqR.jpg
wXhil.jpg

Tan Miyako = JackNicholsonyes.gif

Exams are over and summer begins!

Miyako goes to sunbathe
(with a stray cat)
. Tan Miya is delicious, etc, etc. And I also get to see the debut of her symbol used in Season 3: the cat paw.

In other news, Sae gets caught
talking into a moving fan.
Haha, what a goof! Even though I know many people have done that at least one point in their lives. Anyways, she gets embarrassed, but not as embarrassed as when
Miyako and Yuno read her love stories! lol
Oh man, Haha. A pretty funny part here. The girls decide to go swimming and since Miyako doesn't have a bikini she takes a shirt and bikini shorts from Sae. When Yuno asks why no top, Sae says
She doesn't want to hear Miyako getting her boobs cramped in the bikini top.
Yuno and Sae have an awkward stare-off at this comment, it also leaves
Miyako with a wet T-shirt.
I'm not sure if that's part of the joke, but Saw is an unapologetic perv! lol I like her better here than in Season 3.

yR5KB.jpg
RhCGk.jpg

Zooms in closer between them about five times or so. I had a laugh.

So girls splashing each other with water until their sick of it is the summary of the "play time." This along with some chit-chat from the girls and some
Ponpo's "lewd."
snapshots of them posing in the pool.

Also "caterpillar-kun" turned
into an ugly moth. Ahaha. Better luck next time, girls!

Well, all for now, yet another slice-of-life pic post from me. Relaxing show, this one.

Swap the name out for something else and you have a scene from every romance/harem show that ever had a bland pussified viewer insert protagonist.
This is something that has come up a few times on GAF and been confusing me. I can see the bland and pussified aspects, but if a character is really meant to be a viewer insert, why would they recoil in shame from having the girls make advances?

I'd think a viewer insert would be smanging all them waifus while shouting praise to the gods of swag.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 6

Like Tsuritama 6, this episode was livelier than usual (though not to the same extent). The animation was particularly fluid, with special attention paid to background characters. There was some lovely cinematography, such as when Urabe was focused on in the foreground while Tsubaki was talking to Ueno in the background, which emphasized the impact his words were having on her. Or when the camera moved back and forth between Tsubaki and Urabe's faces without cutting; that's a shot I haven't seen too often in anime, and creates a strong feeling of intimacy. Very enjoyable.

I understand that the two halves were drawn from different chapters of the manga. Linking them in this way was a very effective decision, as it contrasts Tsubaki's willingness to go to a cafe with Oka with his unwillingness to go to a cafe with his old crush. It makes it feel that he's progressing as a character.

Oh, and for anyone hoping that Sengoku Collection is going to stop being a series of fuckawful self-contained stories featuring the world's shittiest character designs, you need to pay more attention to the OP/ED.

I eagerly await the story that they manage to create for underboob soldier

Oddly enough, the actual game or whatever they based this off of, had guys in it.

No idea what their role was, maybe genderbent females of the Sengoku period?

I dunno, underboob soldier might be decent as she comes with a maid.

Those last 5 seconds:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW SHIT

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is something that has come up a few times on GAF and been confusing me. I can see the bland and pussified aspects, but if a character is really meant to be a viewer insert, why would they recoil in shame from having the girls make advances?

I'd think a viewer insert would be smanging all them waifus while shouting praise to the gods of swag.

I've always taken these viewer insert characters to be a reflection of who the viewers are, not who they want to be. I suppose that Japanese otaku appreciate stories about timid, boring, shy, and all around not-alpha guys having women fall all over them more than they care to have themselves inserted into the role of master sex machine/pervert/etc.
there's hentai for that, anyway.

Oddly enough, the actual game or whatever they based this off of, had guys in it.

No idea what their role was, maybe genderbent females of the Sengoku period?

I dunno, underboob soldier might be decent as she comes with a maid.

You might be right. Dudes are probably Oichi, Nouhime, Inahime, and whatever few other notable sengoku-era women there are.

This is a bit contradictory with the "New Original Anime Programming" promised in the press release considering it's nearly identical to what's already playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just run what they're already running on Saturday nights for a while just to raise awareness of the new block. It's going to be really disappointing if Toonami ends up just being the [as] anime block reskinned.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
tsuritama 6

tsuritama saves the day. Thank you, tsuritama.

This show gets better with each episode.
And now shit's getting real.

After this week, I think it overtook Apollon as the best noitaminA show this season.

Oh, and for anyone hoping that Sengoku Collection is going to stop being a series of fuckawful self-contained stories featuring the world's shittiest character designs, you need to pay more attention to the OP/ED.

I don't think anyone expects the show to change at this point.

Tsuritama 6
tumblr_m46ys8nkZ81r621gdo1_500.gif

DUCKKU! I cant pick a favorite episode for this anymore. Each are just continually good. Really Yuki has developed well and interacted stunningly with everyone and I feel so happy whenever he accomplishes something. Now Akira needs some development to fit in with them better, though, based on last episode, seems like he never had friends or something.

Also so many emotions with the episode
Hilarious when dude pushed Natsuki Yuki into the water then fished right after, stylish shorts. I thought Akira was gonna attack Haru there and Haru actually seemed to get scared or something, what was up with being unable to squirt the water. Though, I hope he is able to build a friendship with him, seemed at the end he was nervous to approach Akira about it at the cookout :(

Hm? I dont think every episode would be self contained. Nobunaga's goal seems to have been put on the backburner. Im not expecting a genre change but rather for the show to go deeper.

Medaka Box is definitely the next manga I'll start reading. I'll need more Shiranui when the show is over.

She unfortunately doesn't show up as much as she should, but the semi-frequently times she does is almost always fuckawesome. She seems to be playing a somewhat significant role in the current arc.

I've always taken these viewer insert characters to be a reflection of who the viewers are, not who they want to be. I suppose that Japanese otaku appreciate stories about timid, boring, shy, and all around not-alpha guys having women fall all over them more than they care to have themselves inserted into the role of master sex machine/pervert/etc.
there's hentai for that, anyway.
Makes sense. Thank you, sir.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kids on the Slope 6:
This girl sucks at painting.

Lain

Kids on the slope 5-6

Pretty good episodes that managed to make me stop thinking about one of the shittiest days in my life.

Kaoru might have
overreacted at the end of episode 6, especially from an outside point of view
, but I kind of understand him over this.

Branduil

So, I've been listening to the latest ANNCast interview and before they even got to the interview segment of the episode I had to turn it off to stop my brain melting. Ugh.

I just about survived the Madoka discussion but I had real trouble surviving the FMA: Milos segment. Essentially, Zac doesn't like the movie because...well that's a little hard to say. He complains that the side-story is really boring and pedestrian, but then he said that he fell asleep thirty minutes in and only woke up for the credits. Apparently people on twitter supported his 'zzz boring' position so it must be a really solid argument.

He complained that the premise of the movie involved Ed and Al travelling to find a cure for their body-problems which is a bad set-up because we (the audience) know that the main plot of the series can't be resolved in this movie and so this killed all the tension in the movie. Of course, Justin didn't call him out on this and argue that pretty much every shounen movie based on a series is like that, or that such a thin 'premise' clearly exists just to get the protagonists to travel to some locale before the 'real plot' of the movie can begin because Justin is a trained monkey.

Zac goes on to complain that the movie is shackled to the 'over arching plot' of the manga and wishes it could 'do it's own thing' but then he also complains that it introduces annoying side-characters who are 'obviously going to be the focus of the movie'. Well, yeah Zac, that's how these things tend to work. Apparently he doesn't want to watch Brotherhood either, because it's not really clicking with him. He doesn't go as far as to consider why he might not be enjoying it, because that would require him to reflect on his own reactions to a show for one second. It's not like he's a writer who has to do that for a living.

Asshole.

When it's just Justin and Zac talking there's no-one around to call out their bullshit arguments. This always leads to pain for the listener.

I should really skip everything that isn't the interview, shouldn't I?

Using ANN for anything except staff listings is suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom