• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nerf when
you're taken out for the rest of the arc because you're stronger than the protagonist! It's happened every arc with Erza, and I expect it to continue happening.

We can't have the main character be overshadowed by someone else. All the young fans will revolt!

It's a nerf when
you're taken out for the rest of the arc because you're stronger than the protagonist! It's happened every arc with Erza, and I expect it to continue happening.

At least she usually gets a pretty significant fight each arc. It's just never the main antagonist for (usually) stupid reasons.

Narag

Sailor Moon R 56

AYAGt.jpg

NO

Sg7OS.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Erza is never allowed to fight arc final bosses because that's reserved for the main character only. The excuses are often pretty stupid, yeah.

We can't have the main character be overshadowed by someone else. All the young fans will revolt!

At least she usually gets a pretty significant fight each arc. It's just never the main antagonist for (usually) stupid reasons.

I don't actually expect her to get the big fight for any arc, but some sort of fight would be nice. I'd at least like to see her occupied with plot-relevant things that don't necessarily involve the arc's final boss instead of getting completely taken out of the story over and over again. I don't think that she's even had a fight scene that lasted more than a few seconds since Lullaby, and if I'm not mistaken
the next arc is an Erza rescue arc so I can probably count her out there too
. I only get upset because it's such terrible mishandling of her character!

Jacob

Kids on the Slope 6

PDKbb.png

You said it, Kaoru.

I saw the GAF posts about this episode before I got around to watching the episode itself, but I didn't think it would really be that. I was looking forward to this show more than any other coming into this season, mostly because of Watanabe + jazz, but after the first two episodes I've been less interested in it. I think it's because the actual music element is being eclipsed by the sappy teenage melodrama, which just isn't a genre that holds much interest for me. That said, this week's episode was the first one that was actually a chore to finish. If the show doesn't rebound in the next week or two I might drop it entirely, which is not something I ever thought I'd consider after watching the first episode.

I'm not really sure what Watanabe saw in the source material here. I know it's an award-winning manga but the actual story has been really dull and I have zero curiosity about the character's relationships or
what happened to Brother Jun
. I'm sure part of the problem lies with trying to condense the entire manga into 12 episodes - the pacing continues to be all over the place this week - but I think the real issue is that I simply don't find teenage melodrama and love polygons to be engaging. It's a shame since I love the musical performances when they happen, but oh well. On the other hand, the OP has been growing on me and I rather like the song now.

animegaf is slow tonight.

kids on slope 6

Too much love, not enough music. I should watch nodame again.

Richie getting dumped for gay k-on was pretty great though.

Kids on the Slope 6

I'm not really sure what Watanabe saw in the source material here.

Teenage romance has been a strong interest of Watanabe's for a while, considering when he had the opportunity to make a short about anything he wanted to for the anthology Genius Party, he chose this subject for his contribution "Baby Blue".

Jex

And now for something not so neat...

Roukyuubu 3-12 FREEDOM

Overall, this show was pretty much Infinite Stratos but with lolis and basketball rather than mechs, tsunderes, and Char.

Lots of this...
G1VjK.jpg

Completely random shots like this...
iiPQp.jpg

And yeah...
dsSCm.jpg

In conclusion, to the people who support this:

eofIZ.jpg
It looks like everyone engaged in your contract lost painfully! Mutually Assured Destruction.

Jex

I'm sure we can blame the source material on this and absolve Watanabe-sama of all guilt. The direction remained consistent despite the melodrama introduced.

Well, he chose to adapt this specific material. It's not like anyone forced him to make some 60's Jazz anime to please shareholders!

I don't actually expect her to get the big fight for any arc, but some sort of fight would be nice. I'd at least like to see her occupied with plot-relevant things that don't necessarily involve the arc's final boss instead of getting completely taken out of the story over and over again. I don't think that she's even had a fight scene that lasted more than a few seconds since Lullaby, and if I'm not mistaken
the next arc is an Erza rescue arc so I can probably count her out there too
. I only get upset because it's such terrible mishandling of her character!

I don't think you'll be disappointed for very long then (at least with this particular aspect of the series).

Jex

I had no idea a samurai prevented world war 3.

History has lied to me.

Everyone should watch The Cockpit.

It's another anime that deals with WWII, except that in this tale the Germany (as a stand in for Japan), has invented the atomic bomb first. However, they end up being too noble to use such a thing (because only a devil would use such a weapon) and so our hero ends up destroying it.

If only Japan had invented the atomic bomb, it's clear they would never have used it and many lives would have been saved.

That's their noble code.

NewFresh

Night on the Galactic Railroad

This is a really neat slow burner of a film. Combine subtle imagery and symbolism with moderately anthropomorphic cats and it's easy to see why icarus likes this film.

I think the slow parts of the film are only near the beginning. Once they actually get on the train, I felt it really picked up steam (Sorry). The story gets so emotional by the end that it really does leave you dumb founded.
I did feel that the Titanic kids were a bit odd even thought they work as another hint to what the train really is and where it is going.
Even thought it might be a bit of work, I would recommend going back to it at some point. The movie left me with a desire to watch Spring and Chaos, even thought I've heard mixed things about it. It features similar themes, life, space, trains, but that is mainly because of Miyazawas writtings.

Jex

I really don't see the big deal with Apollon 6. If anything, if you're not going to do more
Tokyo episodes
, I prefer it to the boring love-line of the previous five episodes and you're basically moving toward what the show was supposed to be about at some point - music. And for the 60s, there's nothing more salient than
the birth of Rock
This is further proof that you never understood why Kids on the Slope was good to begin with, I'm afraid :(

The 6th episode is pretty much the antithesis of what many of us are looking for from the series.

Makoto

This is further proof that you never understood why Kids on the Slope was good to begin with, I'm afraid :(

The 6th episode is pretty much the antithesis of what many of us are looking for from the series.
What are people looking for from this series (particularly the ones who have been calling it the show of the season)?

Queen's Blade 5
This episode both introduces a new character and it's the one where Tomoe and Leina meet. It's also the first time Leina has looked like a competent swordsman since the first episode, of course
she's being possessed at the time, but still.
Ultimately Menace didn't get to do much at all the whole episode besides crumble her own Pyramid, but she has potential, given if she's ever brought back later. Overall it was a decent episode.

Totakeke

What are people looking for from this series (particularly the ones who have been calling it the show of the season)?

Episode 6 feels like a cheap plot element thrown in to heighten the drama, not that there wasn't any in the prior episodes, but the character is much more dramatic than the ones already introduced.

Jex

Very broadly speaking, they aren't looking for 'anime characters' like this bizarre Haru/Yui fellow who doesn't fit in at all with the fairly naturalistic tone of the rest of Kids on the Slope. He literally feels like someone from a different show.

More over, his appearance is connected to lots of really forced drama where characters act, well, out of character simply for the sake injecting the show with more conflict.

Soma

Sankarea 07

rdZNn.jpg

That was a cute episode. Too much Ranko and not enough Rea though.

I'm sure you Rankobros will love it.

cajunator

Banned
Got lots of goodies in the mail.
Watched 3 episodes of Sora No Otoshimono forte. AMAZING. This show is so close to hentai its not even funny. I was at my friends house, so he experienced it too. I think he just stared at the show in disbleief how messed up it is. then he asked me to bring over the first season next time I visit lol.
Oh and also my Millhiore f. Biscotti figurine came in and she is so kyuuuuuto.

You Shiranui fans will never touch zettai ryouiki.

... Wait a second...

qhoTa.jpg

She is the best.

Hmm. Yes./ Shiranui is amazing.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 6

Like Tsuritama 6, this episode was livelier than usual (though not to the same extent). The animation was particularly fluid, with special attention paid to background characters. There was some lovely cinematography, such as when Urabe was focused on in the foreground while Tsubaki was talking to Ueno in the background, which emphasized the impact his words were having on her. Or when the camera moved back and forth between Tsubaki and Urabe's faces without cutting; that's a shot I haven't seen too often in anime, and creates a strong feeling of intimacy. Very enjoyable.

I see what you did there.
That was a REALLY hard one because she was up against Saber, who I also really really like.

Yeah no kidding. would have picked her under any other circumstance probably but...Saber <3

Branduil

[Sankarea] - 6

Sankarea6-1.png

This shot is indicative of how far the appeal of this show has fallen from the opening. I don't feel any shame in dropping the show after this episode.

I had a number of problems with this episode and unfortunately there weren't just caused by the amateurish cinematography. Yet perhaps we should talk about that first, because the one aspect of the show that really got me (and, I think others here) hooked on the show was how strong the visual-storytelling was. The use of colour, the editing, the cinematography, the way shots were arranged next to each other to create meaning, the flow of the story and so forth. As you can see from above, the show now has trouble shooting three people all in the same scene without resorting to lining them all up in a row in the centre of the shot. Pathetic.

Of course, the tone of the story has changed quite a bit over the course of the first few episodes. Moving from a largely sombre series mixed with brevity to a strange fanservice show. This episode seems to be leaning back towards serious, but unfortunately they are trying to achieve that whilst also including dumb fanservice shit and other waciness.

One thing that really bothered me about this episode, and what I think is indicative of how shitty the writing has become is the sequence when
he starts to videotape Rea for his 'zombie observation diary'. He really seems to enjoy videotaping certain aspects of her body, including her legs, in a fairly perverse manner. Rea is of course, embarrassed about being recorded but she's also fairly playful as well, shrugging it off to a certain extent. However, what she should be is incredibly creeped out and traumatised because Furuya, who she came to for protection and comfort, is now acting just like the father who has abused her. Of course, she doesn't respond that way at all.
That's just shitty writing.

Seems like they didn't put any thought into that shot at all beyond "well, I guess there should be a foreground, a background, and a middle where the characters are.

Certainly I have no regrets about dropping the show after episode 4. Even if all the other problems didn't exist, I would also be put off by the increased role of that garbage cousin character.

Queen's Blade 6
Well that was interesting. Apparently elves don't wear panties. What's even more interesting is that Leina even cares, it's not like she dresses any more modest than them. Anyways this episode kind of felt backwards. All the action was at the beginning and then it just kind of putts around for the last half with not much happening. And the whole elves and humans hating half-elves is pretty cliche, but whatever. The battle awesome battle in the beginning makes up for the lackluster second half. The preview of the next episode had neither Leina or Tomoe in it, so it has pique my interest. An episode revolving around Nanael will be interesting. We'll see how that goes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The Legend of Koizumi

My eyes have seen the light. This is perhaps the most concentrated badassery I have ever witnessed. Forget Akagi, forget Saki: this is all the mahjong you will ever need.

You are a god among men, Junichiro Koizumi.

Now go read the manga, which is even better than the anime!

Branduil

Stuff like this makes me wonder if there's some dire shortage of lighting experts in Japan. Why does every scene look like it was shot in the middle of a cloudy afternoon? I'm not asking them to emulate the anime but there are some basic cinematography techniques you gotta nail down before you even think about filming a horror movie. So much about this looks excruciatingly amateur.

Welcome to the vast majority of Japanese live-action productions.

Branduil

Fate/Zero 19

I realized about halfway through the episode that I remember virtually nothing that happened in this show prior to episode 18. I've been kind of drifting in and out of paying attention this whole show and this episode was no different (though I did like the ending with
Kerry with the rocket launcher and the seagulls
). I don't really want to watch this anymore, but I feel like I've come too far to drop it. I'd honestly rather just finish F/SN and check out UBW.

Guess I got caught up in duckroll hype, but it only seems to work for me if he ends up hating the show. Ah well, I'll see how I feel next week and determine then whether to continue or not.

So someone finally makes a good shounen "there can only be one" show and cosmic dislikes it?

Branduil

[Wasurenagumo]

A dire warning to otaku everywhere and pretty enjoyable to boot. Sadly, I feel they will fail to head this call.

Anyway, this is just one in a long running tradition of anime in the vein. I guess that just goes to show that this has been a problem for awhile!

For those interested, the timeline looks like this:

Presence (1987) -> Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (2004) -> Wasurenagumo (2012)

There's probably a few more as well.

When you put it in a timeline like this, it's impossible not to notice that the objects of affection get "younger" each time.

Kore wa zombie desu ka of the long title 7

I think people that were worried about this show going "srs business" can put their fears to rest. While the overarching plot has kicked in, it's still maintaining a level of humor that was absent from the first season when it did the same. If anything, I'm actually anticipating where this goes. Yeah, it'll probably descend into drama in the last 2 episodes or so, but for now it should stay goofy to some extent.

So, the villain is
Chris, who happens to be a much funnier villain than anyone in season 1.
I kind of saw it coming (and I'm sure others did too), but the way it was revealed was amazing.
She was the male teacher this whole time!

So yeah, still loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom