• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

ib0uPjYZoyUpen.jpg

This man is a sage.

faridmon

Genshiken is amazing. I might actually buy the Manga since it looks like they are trying not to finish the story. I wish there were simliar Slice of Life Animes out there.

Jintor

I've still never actually watched Genshiken. Are both seasons worth it?

Manga is better than the animes, but that's a matter of taste. The anime are still good and they have a good soundtrack AND viral as madarame.

One of my favourite mangas around, though I'm not really on board with the new thing they've got serialised in japan at the moment.

On the manga note, yandere kanojo isn't keeping me interested anymore... monthly doses of four-koma aren't my thing, I need entire volumes to binge on.

Jintor

Ogiue was better

IRL tsunderes, baby

Though reducing her characterisation to 'tsundere' is kind of insulting. She was a person. They all were.

sonicmj1

Time to throw some forgettable episode impressions into the void.

Inferiority Complex Go!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 10

OH NO NOT ANOTHER NANAMI EPISODE

E7DdG.jpg

I thought we were pretending Episode 8 never happened! Only Anthy can get slapped!

Oh wait, it's actually serious and good.

Not because of Nanami. I mean, she acts the same way she normally does, I just mind it less when it's in a context I can take seriously. Really, this is an episode about Touga, and how he's a total sociopath.

O7yUx.jpg

Well, that's one way to take care of your friend's diary...

When Touga hears that
Nanami is next in line for a duel, he simply goes about and makes it happen, using every inch of her ridiculous idolization and jealousy against her. He's utterly callous and manipulative in his desire to get what he wants, and no matter how he acts towards Nanami, he only cares about her insofar as she can be useful to him.

yDXf5.jpg

Nanami was yandere before it was cool.

That said, I love to watch him in action. He's like a playboy Lelouche without the sister complex.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 11

Well, holy shit.

Just as Nanami's episode wasn't about Nanami, Touga's episode isn't about Touga.

VRGVn.jpg

But he's so fabulous!

It's about Utena.

We've already established that Touga is a bastard, but if we didn't get it, there's some SYMBOLISM to make it clear to us. Thanks, Ikuhara!

s2M1A.jpg

Balloons are like positive feelings. They're as fragile as they are fun to destroy.

This episode builds on some stuff with Anthy that has been brewing for a while.
Touga recognizes the tension between Utena's desire to play prince for Anthy, and her desire to play princess for the mythical man from her childhood. Both of her desires are strong and noble, but both are rooted in myths that she invented. Nothing pleases him more than spoiling all her fantasies.

hrxmw.jpg

THE SHADOW REPRESENTS EMOTIONAL DISTANCE

This is the biggest challenge Utena has faced so far. I'm really curious to see how she overcomes it.

Even though so much remains shrouded in mystery, I think Utena does a better job than Penguindrum of making that early mystery compelling. The duels give the show structure during this time, so there's always a clear goal for the protagonist to conquer at the end of each episode. The overarching mission of Penguindrum in its first 8 episodes is so vague that it's hard to understand why any of what we're watching has significance.

Westlo

Nyaruko 6

I wasn't really feeling this episode, the
console war stuff
wasn't as funny as it could have been.

At least we'll get lots more Hastur next episode!

Yeah Episode 6 was pretty meh on all levels... and not really feeling Hastur either.. hopefully this series recovers from this downwards spiral... where's the "ENTERTAINMENT!" gone?

faridmon

Manga is better than the animes, but that's a matter of taste. The anime are still good and they have a good soundtrack AND viral as madarame.

One of my favourite mangas around, though I'm not really on board with the new thing they've got serialised in japan at the moment.

On the manga note, yandere kanojo isn't keeping me interested anymore... monthly doses of four-koma aren't my thing, I need entire volumes to binge on.

They just released the omnibus of Genshiken Vol. 1-3. Do you think that they will keep their promise and release all of the volumes in Omnibuses?

I want to get the manga, but I am afraid of the inconsistancy of the Volumes throughout.

Man: you bad dudes have the most exciting conversations in the most inaccessible time-zones. I need to step up my game—24/7 Anime-GAF!

Oh, Ultima: that won't be the last of my great analyses. Ashita no Joe is my playground for that right now, but I'm busy with game music reviews and school too. I might do something for, say, Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Ultimadrago

Eureka Seven AO 6

6qbqs.jpg

Takes me back to that one fear appeal TV Spot.

That's better.

Some
blood shed here and a "Merry-Go-Round
Secret there. I can without a doubt say that the show is prepared to put in more "straight-faced" elements besides "Racism and discrimination is bad." The recently perceived antagonist will perhaps add some textbook words and ideals of their own
but not before blowing shit up
!

Stanley's face still gets cringes out of me. He reminds me of one of the human figures they'd mock on Looney Tunes.

7JMUj.jpg

Snuff/Zero: The End

Some more serious themes in this one that are very welcome after the last week's eye-roll worthy episode. For example,
Mecha loli, Chloe's, reaction to Bruno's passing. She sees as an exhaustive fight towards a goal to protect rather than a sacrifice to feel remorse over. Of course, not saying she wasn't sad about it, but saw moping as a counterproductive reaction.

As for
Team Goldilocks
all that matters is that the
Mecha loli/ Honorary Sengoku Collection character lived.
The small role they played wasn't shabby either, giving Ao a little "uumph" and whatnot.

Decent animation for the fighting and whatnot. Though the strategy was
handled a bit "quick" and flawlessly.
I guess bigger battle hurdles can wait another day.

eQYnH.jpg

You know the word.

Overall, neat episode left me with a positive experience unlike the last few. The scene in between the ED and the preview has me looking forward to what
mayhem and conflict Truth and
can bring forward. I, as always, am hoping for an entertaining ride.

Side note:
Truth
is so :DTL

Ultimadrago

Man: you bad dudes have the most exciting conversations in the most inaccessible time-zones. I need to step up my game—24/7 Anime-GAF!

Oh, Ultima: that won't be the last of my great analyses. Ashita no Joe is my playground for that right now, but I'm busy with game music reviews and school too. I might do something for, say, Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Hah, well no problem with modesty I see!
Seriously, good, good to hear. I will be looking forward to it.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Dezaki is cooler than game music and school :mad: Priorities!

In the original cards/game/wathever it's supposed to be, every character had at least one male and female version. Famous characters often had multiple designs for each gender too like Nobunaga had a card where she looked like a mature woman, rather than a teenager - the teenager design also had a form where she gets demon wings. He also had two male designs, one where he looks like a high school rebel and another where he's older with a mustache and more warrior-like clothes. Each design also had one color variation.

Here's a picture of young male Nobunaga:
OdaNobunaga_superidiot_04.gif

Awww, that sounds so much better than what we currently got. One of the rare times where cute girls doing cute things isn't the best answer.

Wow last page was that old confessional time eh?

I watch my cute stuff, I watch my story stuff, I watch my sakuga, I watch my punching shows.

I breathe teh anime if the season is ripe.

Chobits 1

Hideki is a complete pervert despite what he says. I assume losing that
disc when Hideki picks up Chi may have repercussions in later episodes? Was that Chi's OS
?

cajunator

Banned
Chobits 1

Hideki is a complete pervert despite what he says. I assume losing that
disc when Hideki picks up Chi may have repercussions in later episodes? Was that Chi's OS
?

Heh heh heh

I liked Chobits. Its a good watch the first time.
Be sure to watch the Chibits special afterward. soooooo cute.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 10
[...]
Revolutionary Girl Utena 11
[...]
Even though so much remains shrouded in mystery, I think Utena does a better job than Penguindrum of making that early mystery compelling. The duels give the show structure during this time, so there's always a clear goal for the protagonist to conquer at the end of each episode. The overarching mission of Penguindrum in its first 8 episodes is so vague that it's hard to understand why any of what we're watching has significance.
I hope you are not expecting the show to clear any of its mysteries any time soon. Because it won't.

Fate/Zero 19:
A very solid episode. I feel like I understand Kiritsugu's character a lot better now, and seeing the decisions that lead to him becoming the man he is in the present was really fascinating. There were some very well directed sections in the episode, and they were able to convey what happened over a long period of time very quickly. The climax of the episode was pretty awesome.
It was obvious what Kiritsugu was going to do, but that just made it even more of a dramatic moment because you could understand his side of the conversation so clearly. It tied perfectly in with what Natalia was saying about his talent.

sonicmj1

I hope you are not expecint the show to clear any of its mysteries any time soon. Because it won't.

I'm expecting the show to slowly answer mysteries with new, more mysterious mysteries, until at some point near the end it delivers a technicolor explosion of answers that blow my fucking mind.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm expecting the show to slowly answer mysteries with new, more mysterious mysteries, until at some point near the end it delivers a technicolor explosion of answers that blow my fucking mind.
Shit doesn't get explained until waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late.

Jex

[Gintama 229-229] The Love Plus Arc

When Gintama is being a straight comedy it's surprisingly difficult to write about. I mean, it was either funny, or it wasn't funny. I suppose this is the case for most comedies but it still perturbs that I don't have anything worthwhile to say.

Unlike many other area of film form I never studied how comedy 'works' visually, so I can't even approach the work from that viewpoint.

Anyway, this arc was suitably amazing. It's good to see Gintama tacking heavy social issues head-on.

[Gintama 229-229] The Love Plus Arc

When Gintama is being a straight comedy it's surprisingly difficult to write about. I mean, it was either funny, or it wasn't funny. I suppose this is the case for most comedies but it still perturbs that I don't have anything worthwhile to say.

Unlike many other area of film form I never studied how comedy 'works' visually, so I can't even approach the work from that viewpoint.

Anyway, this arc was suitably amazing. It's good to see Gintama tacking heavy social issues head-on.

Have you gone back and watched the popularity poll arc yet? If not, do that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom