• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Damn it, lately when making food decisions I hear Doremi's voice in my head shouting STEAK.

Also, why do I feel that if Wapiko had cat ears and tail cajunator would forsake 3D forever.

Grzi

I wonder if it is a blessing in disguise that I'm haven't watched any of the Spring shows yet. Between Lupin and apparently KotS showing unfavorable trends, a lot of my hype has died.

Don't give up on KotS, it had 5 stellar episodes and one not so good, but still better than a lot of the stuff that gets praised here. People just didn't expect stuff like that in a show with this kind of pedigree, but you could blame the source material for the stuff in the last episode, the pacing and direction remains top notch.

How is AnimeGAf liking E7:Ao, Tusirtama, Zetman and Jormungand?

E7AO and Tsuritama are both very good, E7 having an amazing start, then falling off a bit in episodes 4&5, but it's great again at 6. Tsuritama has been consistently good, only becoming great in the last episode (6).
Zetman is watchable, especially if you haven't read the manga, although things move at a frantic pace. People who have read the manga are generally much less pleased by this, or so I've noticed. It's only 12 episodes, so you only lost like 4 hours of your life if you don't like it.
Jormungand sucks.

There are other good shows though, the biggest surprise for me being Kuroko no Basket, a typical sports shounen done right, very fun and addictive, with some nice animation to boot (Production I.G.).
Space Brothers is amazing, definitely worth the watch.
Mysterious Girlfriend X is another show I had absolutely no expectations for, but everyone (including me) seems to love it.
Saint Seiya Omega is not bad at all, it has it's ups and downs though.
Of course, F/Z remains the best show.

Jex

Crystal Triangle - 1987 OVA, apparently directed by Seiji Okuda and storyboarded by no-one.

CrystalTriangle.jpg

It's...it's difficult to describe Crystal Triangle in words. Not just because it's a bad 80's OVA, but because it quite frequently makes no sense at all. Every time they cut to a new scene, location, or character it seems random and direction-less, leaving the 'story' as free-wheeling mess.

CrystalTriangle1.jpg
CrystalTriangle2.jpg

CrystalTriangle3.jpg
CrystalTriangle4.jpg

CrystalTriangle5.jpg
CrystalTriangle6fixed.jpg

CrystalTriangle7.jpg
CrystalTriangle8.jpg

CrystalTriangle11.jpg
CrystalTriangle12.jpg

wonzo

Banned
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/CrystalTriangle.jpg

It's...it's difficult to describe Crystal Triangle in words. Not just because it's a bad 80's OVA, but because it quite frequently makes no sense at all. Every time they cut to a new scene, location, or character it seems random and direction-less, leaving the 'story' as free-wheeling mess.

*snip*
this looks incredible *adds to list*

cajunator

Banned
At least I know enough to know the spelling requires two e's.

Also you know that part in the Hidamari Sketch OP around one minute in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUxx7iCSekQ#t=1m2s). I've h

ad those fourish second stuck in my head all night. I've only watched about four episodes on that show sporadically. Oh the humanity.

Yes sketch switch is deceptively catchy.
I ended up buying seasons 2 and 3, so there's more Shaftian fun to be had.

Grzi

Crystal Triangle was one of the first animes I ever watched as a kid, I was probably five or six then. I used to love that white haired samurai dude that
cuts his own finger or some shit, iirc
I need to rewatch it.

wonzo

Banned
tsuritama 6

Wow, that was by far and away the best episode yet that help make up for the rather lacklustre episode of Kids on the Slope. It's nice to see this show finally get the ball rolling on the main plot. If this show keeps it up then it'll easily be on par with Mononoke and Trapeze.

It is incredible. Incredibly bad.
all the more reason to watch it then!

lmao. wont someone think of the poor oppressed weeaboos??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Plastic Nee-san 1-5

So while he was working on Blood-C and Another, Tsutomu Mizushima found time to direct a few 2-minute short web streams about three girls and their model club. The girls get along real well with each other,

have pleasant conversations on refined topics,

and are very proud of their models.

It's a relaxing slice-of-life watch that in no way involves random violence or sexual harassment. If you are looking for a quick dose of manic comedy with nutty, perverted girls, you should not turn to this. I am certainly not looking forward to the seven further episodes scheduled to come out this year.

Go_Ly_Dow

Chromes auto translation of the text is amazing!

Spoiler tagged just in case this actually means something!
Closer to climax Holy Grail War.
Its effects, while there was an impact on the body of Iris hand feel is a defense of the Holy Grail.
Leaving the source of the iris back Kiritsugu feel, and to look like ruthless when stood on the battlefield with Wataru宇舞once a long time.
On the other hand, because of the rider was consumed significantly in the fight against magic casters, waiver is going to place.

KIRITSUGU FEEL

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Not at all. It's purpose was to explain why good background art, image composition etc. matters when you're telling a story in a visual medium and in particular why I thought that one shot in Kids on the Slope was effective. Usually I would just, as Branduil did, say that 'the composition in this shot was good' (because it obviously was) but the thing it's (apparently) not obvious to everyone, so I decided to explain it for once. I was simply backing up my opinion with an actual argument.

Ideally, ever time I had an opinion about an anime I'd go to the same lengths to prove my point, e.g. that the direction in episode 5 of some show was 'poor'. In reality, however, I don't have the time or inclination to explain in great detail every time I have an opinion about an an anime, which is why I usually state my opinion rather than defending it with examples.
And you still think my posts were trolling. It's not going to ruin my day, but it is a bit frustrating.

ISML

Well, at least Haqua and Erio won.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes sketch switch is deceptively catchy.

The thing is I haven't even seen an episode recently. It just popped into my head and has been stuck there since. I wouldn't mind if it was more than just four seconds worth.

I need an antidote song.

sonicmj1

Sakamichi no Apollon 6

It's a step down, but considering the show's overall quality so far, that's still pretty decent.

Ao585.jpg

It's like they know what we're thinking.

I don't like the new guy very much, but I think that's sort of the point. He'd be less problematic if this show wasn't paced in such a breakneck way. If this episode was somehow two episodes, for instance, the stuff at the end wouldn't seem so "forced". Instead, some random dude who appeared out of nowhere 15 minutes earlier becomes the cause of some major drama.

I still think it's a really well directed show. Kaoru's fears of isolation come to life in a number of shots, such as the one Jexhius dissected, or this one here.

QWgqy.jpg

It's not as obviously Expressionist, but the overhead angle does a good job of isolating Kaoru in the room and making him look small in an already small space. And you can similarly see how the room is darker without Sentarou around.

I guess there had to be some clearly observable consequences to them biting off so much material. It's still good, but it's disappointing to see this moment of weakness (one episode is not a trend!) as Tsuritama continues to improve.

Here, I'll do it:

This shot absolutely sucks. It's composition is on par with that angel beats screen everyone loves to post.

Observe the hovering characters, everyone's standing in a line, the lazy background to avoid actually drawing a nice scene, the characters are poorly drawn. There's no sense of scale or perspective. How high is that wall? No one knows, because no one on the staff gave a shit about that background art. I can do more if you want, but I think that shot speaks for itself, and I just pointed out some of the glaring flaws.

I'm not going to defend the composition stuff here, but it's absurd to take this shot completely out of the context it's presented in. Because it's contrasted with this shot, with just a cut to Kaoru's face to tie them together as being from his perspective.

And in both images, there's a good purpose for the somewhat theatrical staging (though it doesn't suffer from the "straight line" stuff to the extent of the Sankarea shot). They're from Kaoru's perspective, and they're designed to place him as an "outsider" to the scene. That's why everyone is completely visible, with space between them and the bottom of the shot. He can watch, but he can't interact.

Considering how frequently Sankarea does intentionally use the staging of a shot as a means of conveying information (it's certainly no stranger to the "distance shot as showing loneliness"), that shot really doesn't accomplish very much. That scene is lacking in a lot of ways at presenting its shots in ways beyond showing people talking. The only moments in the first half that are the exceptions to this are the moments between Rea in the field and Furuya up above.

7plOc.jpg

There's a reason for all that empty space. In fact, they even widen the lens (bending the fence as a result) in order to create more space.

You don't have to consciously notice all this stuff, or find it particularly important. But all shots aren't equal, and there are observable reasons why.

Is there a connection between the first "bad" episode of Apollon and that this was the first episode without a brofist reset at the end of the episode?

wonzo

Banned
Plastic Nee-san 1-5

plasticneesan5.jpg

The creative genius responsible for directing such great comedic hits as Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, Magical Witch Punie-chan, Squid Girl, Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san and Blood-C has managed to deliver yet again. I can't wait for the rest to come out.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sakamichi no Apollon 6

I'm not going to defend the composition stuff here, but it's absurd to take this shot completely out of the context it's presented in. Because it's contrasted with this shot, with just a cut to Kaoru's face to tie them together as being from his perspective.

And in both images, there's a good purpose for the somewhat theatrical staging (though it doesn't suffer from the "straight line" stuff to the extent of the Sankarea shot). They're from Kaoru's perspective, and they're designed to place him as an "outsider" to the scene. That's why everyone is completely visible, with space between them and the bottom of the shot. He can watch, but he can't interact.

Considering how frequently Sankarea does intentionally use the staging of a shot as a means of conveying information (it's certainly no stranger to the "distance shot as showing loneliness"), that shot really doesn't accomplish very much. That scene is lacking in a lot of ways at presenting its shots in ways beyond showing people talking. The only moments in the first half that are the exceptions to this are the moments between Rea in the field and Furuya up above.

You don't have to consciously notice all this stuff, or find it particularly important. But all shots aren't equal, and there are observable reasons why.

Indeed, the largest difference between the poor shot from Apollon and the poor shot from Sankarea is that the shot from Apollon still tells a story. Someone has been hurt, and he's now the center of attention. Even though it's severely lacking in many ways, that shot still has a clearly defined purpose, which is missing from that shot in Sankarea.

The Fairy Tail drinking game:
drink when
-Every time happy says "AYE"
-Every time you hear that "wow!" sound effect
-they make a joke that makes no sense

it begins

Aye. I use the wow! sound effect for my cell phones txt msg sound it cracks me up, in that regard I use Hero's Come Back (1st naruto shippuden op) as the ringtone.

Accel World 7

Those were some good fights. The science explanations made me think of Oh! Great stuff. It definitely wouldn't feel out of place in something like Air Gear if not for the fact it was relatively easy to understand and didn't involve 30 diagrams.

Well it was chemistry involved so I thought of Seikon no Qwaser, but in Air Gear, I always skipped the science explanations, I like seeing stuff without explanation involved, makes it a bit cooler to me.

duckroll

Minori Scramble!

This is a solid OVA from Ufotable released earlier this year as part of their first series of Anime Bunko OVAs bankrolled by Aniplex. This is a cute and heartwarming story about how a girl gets over her penguin childhood trauma with the help of a cute android penguin... or something like that. It really makes no sense, but is extremely cute, well made, and action packed.

You see, there is something very wrong with this family...

Yes, there is a very unhealthy obsession with penguins here. The art staff went out of their way to emphasis this fact in almost every single interior shot for the house. It's just filled with crap like this. Extremely disturbing. Cute, but disturbing. Therefore it is not really surprising when this scene happens:

a9Ey1.jpg

Why indeed? :p

Anyway, the bulk of the show is about this girl, who has been traumatized by her father's obsession with penguins, spending the day with his latest invention - a cute baby penguin-girl hybrid android. It's supposed to help her get over her fear of penguins, but it ends up causing tons of destruction - all of which really well animated in a solid cartoon way. We get lots of really interesting action throughout the show, including highlights such as:

rgnHC.jpg

Berserk Minori vs Lobsters

YZt1s.jpg

A 2D van which bends in unrealistic but cute ways.

x6TgN.jpg

2D cycling action!

There are many more different fun things which occur throughout the 30 minute run time. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see that Ufotable isn't stuck to a single style of animation. It shows that when the situation calls for less realism, they can use the appropriate types of art to compliment it.

Minori Scramble! is directed by Takuya Nonaka, with character designs and animation direction by Takayuki Mogi. They are both leading the team at Ufotable Tokushima at the moment, which is a newer studio set up in 2009. The same duo is responsible for several Fate/Zero episodes (ep6-7, 12, 17) which were produced at Ufotable Tokushima. Several of the key animators have also played major roles in Fate/Zero thus far. They include Takashi Suhara, Ato Nonaka, Toshiyuki Shirai, Keita Shimizu, and Dai Fukuyama.

Defuser

Kore wa Zombie desuka? OTD ep 7
Chris is evilishly cute all the damn way,I can't hate her for that. Now I know who to blame if I ran out of toilet paper in the morning.

Jex

For those who might be interested in reading some more scholarly material, The University of British Coloumbia's Film Journal have just released for free their anime edition at http://cinephile.ca/archives/.

It's their most recent issue with articles on Satoshi Kon, Time of Eve, Moe, Ghost in the Shell 2 and other stuff. Be warned, they use words like oeuvre, nomenclature and magical realism.

It might be a load of old bull for all I know, as I haven't read it yet, but it's nice to see someone in the English speaking world doing this kind of thing.

duckroll

So, there will be more? I asked about it some days ago because I thought that was their objective (http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37639480&postcount=11051), but I don't remember seeing a confirmation, and for that reason I had my doubts.

There should be more. Unless they decide to stop the project that is. The first 3 works were produced as the first series of Anime Bunko. It is very specifically stated as the "first series" so that alone implies that there is an intention to make this an ongoing project.

Jintor

It's their most recent issue with articles on Satoshi Kon, Time of Eve, Moe, Ghost in the Shell 2 and other stuff. Be warned, they use words like oeuvre, nomenclature and magical realism.

It might be a load of old bull for all I know, as I haven't read it yet, but it's nice to see someone in the English speaking world doing this kind of thing.

Nothing wrong with using words!

duckroll

トロン: アップライジング (Tron: Uprising) - Episode 1

If this isn't anime, I don't know what is. Great art direction, lavish background sets, distinctive character designs, detailed hand-to-hand combat, awesome villains, tons of explosions. This is a really ambitious production for a Disney animated TV series. The character designs by Robert Valley are fantastic here, and there's really solid art direction and storyboarding. Really good camera work and transitions, exciting action sequences, and great pace for an opening episode. Two thumbs up. The animation is by Polygon Pictures, so it's even animated in Japan! :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
トロン: アップライジング (Tron: Uprising) - Episode 1

If this isn't anime, I don't know what is. Great art direction, lavish background sets, distinctive character designs, detailed hand-to-hand combat, awesome villains, tons of explosions. This is a really ambitious production for a Disney animated TV series. The character designs by Robert Valley are fantastic here, and there's really solid art direction and storyboarding. Really good camera work and transitions, exciting action sequences, and great pace for an opening episode. Two thumbs up. The animation is by Polygon Pictures, so it's even animated in Japan! :)
It's going into my backlog!

Steroyd

Acchi Kocchi - 07

nlm0r.gif

Continues to be enjoyable, in a "who cares it's cute as fuck" kind of way, lol at the boys playing Jenga while the girls are in the bath.

Zombie wa Desu Ka - 07

They've really upped Eu's hnng levels by a factor of 10 this season (after the ED is dangerous as fuck), here's hoping from what looks like a serious business arc incoming, doesn't repeat with what happened in season 1.

Kids on a Slope - 06

I see what this episode was trying to do, in terms of Richi feeling like he's being abandonned but man, that guy was like Haru from Tsurutaima, so out of place compared to everyone in the show, nerds included, to top it off, he has a semi-villainy vibe to him at certain times. good grief.

Sanakarea - 07

It appears people have somehow formed a team Wanko... have you learned nothing from team Kanna!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom