• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Upotte - 07

NSFG!!

AnuWp.gif

Funco no ecchi.

Accel World 7

Much like Aqua Current or whatever the fuck, this episode was pointless and terrible. Next episode seems like it'll be less pointless but twice as painful.

Someone seriously deserves to get their shit slapped for turning this into a harem-member-of-the-week show.

I am getting some good use out of the Manga Ent. app for the Xbox 360. Finally able to finish up the titles from Sci-Fi Ani-Mondays like Requiem from the Darkness and Tactics. I wonder how much new content will be added every Tuesday as noted from the load up screen?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Accel World 7

Much like Aqua Current or whatever the fuck, this episode was pointless and terrible. Next episode seems like it'll be less pointless but twice as painful.

Someone seriously deserves to get their shit slapped for turning this into a harem-member-of-the-week show.
Turning? It always was.

Geneijin

For those who might be interested in reading some more scholarly material, The University of British Coloumbia's Film Journal have just released for free their anime edition at http://cinephile.ca/archives/.

It's their most recent issue with articles on Satoshi Kon, Time of Eve, Moe, Ghost in the Shell 2 and other stuff. Be warned, they use words like oeuvre, nomenclature and magical realism.

It might be a load of old bull for all I know, as I haven't read it yet, but it's nice to see someone in the English speaking world doing this kind of thing.
"Because of its nebulous nature, some have shoved sexuality into their definition of moe, but such definitions miss the point of what moe actually is."

moe scholars? I did not expect this.

Accel World 07
LAFL3.gif

It's wearing a tie!
So a battle episode where victory was obtained with TEAMWORK!, TRUST! and THE POWER OF SCIENCE!
I do have to say, I did like the ending of the episode for the friendship part.

Lupin the Tits 06

That was a cool episode, I like
How Fuji and Lupin are finally working together, but what was with Fujiko's Owl related dream? Trauma from her past? It was creepy as hell.

Makoto

"Because of its nebulous nature, some have shoved sexuality into their definition of moe, but such definitions miss the point of what moe actually is."

Absolutely, in fact, I'm working on my Masters in Tsundere Studies.

I was going to question this quote, but after reading (what I think is) the source a bit, I don't take as much issue with it.

But yea, this is kind of interesting. Gotta make time for this.

Mouretsu Pirates 20
tumblr_m4ab873O0P1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Nebulae cup will be fun. Kane was hilarious, Sandaime still has the bears, and Bentenmaru's new job seems compelling. Enjoyed second half of the episode.

The preview for next episode looks intense, wow.

Jex

What's really is that I've already read a number of the works that he has cited. That suggests that I am quite far down the rabbit hole already.

Jex

Perhaps I chose the wrong career. How applicable is this

Well, you may be joking but lets look at some of the scholars who contributed to this piece:

Frédéric Clément is a Ph.D. candidate in Cinema Studies at the Université de Montréal in Québec, Canada. His current research focuses on the legacy of animated cinema in video
games, as well as the depiction of women in films, animation and graphic novels. His first book, Machines désirées: La représentation du féminin dans les films d’animation Ghost
in the Shell de Mamoru Oshii, was published by Éditions L’Harmattan in 2011.

Sounds pretty good to me.

trejo

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 6

Well, that was a thing. The real danger about panicked, bloodthirsty mobs is that you never know when one is going to pop up. It was a little difficult to take things seriously when you've got girls dressed up as cat-eared maids running around but whatever.

And they went kinda crazy with the "shaftisms" this time around, or perhaps I just noticed them more. It really does feel like they're trying to make the best out of a tight budget.

Hyouka 4

This, on the other hand, felt like the complete opposite to me. Lush and vibrant production values spent on something so utterly pedestrian. I stand by my earlier impression that these characters simply love to hear the sound of their own voices, at all times.

Who knew japanese high-school life could be this boring and uneventful? This goes against everything anime has taught me!

Branduil

Well there's the GinRei OAVs.

Wasn't it Imagawa too? I saw he's worked on all sorts of different stuff like Bartender iirc.

Looking at his works leads me to

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=771

In the pre-WWII era, Nakano Naval Academy's special school for girls is codenamed "Virgin Fleet". These girls are gifted with a special form of power known as "Virgin Energy". With the fear of another Russo-Japanese war imminent, rookie pilot Shiokaze Umino must hone her powers to save Japan from complete destruction.

Uh huh.

Question what exactly if you don't mind me asking?

The phrase "shoved sexuality into," implying moe hasn't always had an element of sexuality to it. My initial encounters with the word always had sexuality linked to them, back before the word was in widespread use like it is today. Given the way and situations it was used in, I can't imagine it not having originally been a word with a sexual connotation to it.

So right from the start I almost dismissed the entire thing because the premise seems faulty, but, assuming I found the right article that quote came from, the author wasn't implying that.

And yea, I'm one of those that gets a little annoyed at people using moe when they mean kawaii lol

Jormugand 06

So this is the Val backstory? I hope she doesn't die, she is one of the best characters.
The crazy/dead eye thing never fails to be creepy, why do all the women in this show have them?

Hyouka 04

What a great episode. It takes talent to cram exposition like that into a single episode, yet keep it interesting. Hyouka is fast becoming my favorite show of year.

Upotte 06-07

Everybody loves Funco, and ignores Eru :(
Next episode looks promising.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the one time I think it's typical anime "make up a name to avoid trademark infringement" policy the brand is real. No one had bothered to tell them that their name is terrible since the 80s! Poor them.

Also Upotte is really up to date on their jokes.

Accel World 7

You need to build a legion before the nice big team fights ..Recruting is inevitable given the premise.
I'm pretty sure skirts don't work that way.
Something is clearing wrong with that planet gravity

Jex

[Sankarea] 07

CAJUNATOR ARE YOU OKAY POST IF YOU ARE OKAY

I like how they are not even hiding anymore the fact that Chihiro is a self-insertion fantasy for otaku.

Well, many shows don't even bother to hide it for one episode, so I guess they should be congratulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom