• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
onepiecequality.png

toei~

Kagami

*checks dictionary*

Oh, the そろう being used here is the conjugated form of そる (剃る) or "to shave". Presumably to shave all prices. Got it, thanks.

*adds to notes*
揃う "line up (on the shelves)" - "We have everything (you need) on our shelves!"

Searching "何でも揃う" for examples, first hit I get is Tora no Ana:
コミックとらのあな:同人誌をはじめ萌えるアイテムが何でも揃う!
Comic Tora no Ana: For doujinshi or any other moe items, we have what you need!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Acchi Kocchi 07:

There's just nothing I can say about this show beyond how amazingly cute and well done it is! The animation is very nice, the artwork is consistent and HOLY FUCK TSUMIKI IS SO ADORABLE SDFHJWEGIHGWNFNQKINWER(@$)&%R@$(YU~~ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

揃う "line up (on the shelves)" - "We have everything (you need) on our shelves!"

Searching "何でも揃う" for examples, first hit I get is Tora no Ana:
コミックとらのあな:同人誌をはじめ萌えるアイテムが何でも揃う!
Comic Tora no Ana: For doujinshi or any other moe items, we have what you need!

Ah, I had the wrong kanji again. >_> I have a ways to go in my studying it seems. :/

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Acchi Kocchi 07:

There's just nothing I can say about this show beyond how amazingly cute and well done it is! The animation is very nice, the artwork is consistent and HOLY FUCK TSUMIKI IS SO ADORABLE SDFHJWEGIHGWNFNQKINWER(@$)&%R@$(YU~~ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a lot of words just to say, "this show is cute but has nothing else going for it"! :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I certainly agree with the bolded above and I imagine most people who post here regularly will know what you mean but do you think you can unpack what you mean a little bit by using some other terms?

Sure. For me, "animu" is a pejorative shorthand for tropes and character types that are largely endemic to anime and pander to otaku at the expense of more natural, realistic plot development and characterization. A few examples in E7:AO include the following:

• overabundance of adolescent female pilots

The ratio of male:female pilots in Generation Bleu is improbable and there's no logical reason for the organization to use exclusively young pilots outside of a plot contrivance. The pilots of Pied Piper/Goldilocks are a thinly-veiled harem for Ao and their ages are unrealistically low solely to suit the otaku taste for barely-pubescent girls.

• Elena's otaku tendencies

Elena's personality is what it is solely to attract otaku by being "meta". The face on her helmet is a 2ch symbol and her helmet has cat ears, she's often seen browsing videos on a future NicoNico, and she even says "sabi-sabisu~" while taking a shower by herself which might as well be breaking the fourth wall in spite of the fact that she was "talking" to the sloth. It doesn't even make sense for her to be spouting off random references to Madoka Magica and Dynasty Warriors in a future alternate timeline, but it's a pretty transparent attempt to pander to the "OMG a female otaku! fapfapfap" set, a la everything in Nyaruko.

• the loli pilot introduced in Episode 5

See my first point, but there is no reason for this character to exist other than for there to be a loli in the show.

• multiple instances of men falling on women and recoiling upon the realization that they've touched a breast.

A classic anime gag, it feels especially tacky and forced in E7:AO due to the show otherwise being light on fanservice. There has never been a reason for this kind of scene to occur in the entire history of anime other than to serve as a cheap attempt at titillating the audience.

The original Eureka Seven, while far from free of the use of overused and unfitting anime tropes, gags, sexualization, and character molds, at least never felt like it was overtly trying to pander to otaku. This is why I argue that E7:AO is a more "animu" series in its presentation.

Sure. For me, "animu" is a pejorative shorthand for tropes and character types that are largely endemic to anime and pander to otaku at the expense of more natural, realistic plot development and characterization. A few examples in E7:AO include the following:

• overabundance of adolescent female pilots

The ratio of male:female pilots in Generation Bleu is improbable and there's no logical reason for the organization to use exclusively young pilots outside of a plot contrivance. The pilots of Pied Piper/Goldilocks are a thinly-veiled harem for Ao and their ages are unrealistically low solely to suit the otaku taste for barely-pubescent girls.

• Elena's otaku tendencies

Elena's personality is what it is solely to attract otaku by being "meta". The face on her helmet is a 2ch symbol and her helmet has cat ears, she's often seen browsing videos on a future NicoNico, and she even says "sabi-sabisu~" while taking a shower by herself which might as well be breaking the fourth wall in spite of the fact that she was "talking" to the sloth. It doesn't even make sense for her to be spouting off random references to Madoka Magica and Dynasty Warriors in a future alternate timeline, but it's a pretty transparent attempt to pander to the "OMG a female otaku! fapfapfap" set, a la everything in Nyaruko.

• the loli pilot introduced in Episode 5

See my first point, but there is no reason for this character to exist other than for there to be a loli in the show.

• multiple instances of men falling on women and recoiling upon the realization that they've touched a breast.

A classic anime gag, it feels especially tacky and forced in E7:AO due to the show otherwise being light on fanservice. There has never been a reason for this kind of scene to occur in the entire history of anime other than to serve as a cheap attempt at titillating the audience.

The original Eureka Seven, while far from free of the use of overused and unfitting anime tropes, gags, sexualization, and character molds, at least never felt like it was overtly trying to pander to otaku. This is why I argue that E7:AO is a more "animu" series in its presentation.
Sounds like a quality show. :|

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That's a lot of words just to say, "this show is cute but has nothing else going for it"! :p

But it does it so WELL that that ends up being more than enough! XD

Knight in the Area 20:

A nice little conclusion to the Hibino arc. Kakeru's getting a little better.

Then,
NTR?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How long is it before One-Piece allegedly becomes good? I remember checking it out a while ago, but the few episodes I watched seemed unappealing. I've been told that it takes a while before it takes hold though, but I always find that to be a real bad way to sell someone on a series.

Episode 37 made me a fan. For some, it can take double that length.

And people claim this has good character designs

hahahah, Kuro is tame by OP standards. And that's really just a case of questionable anatomy, not bad design!

Sounds like a quality show. :|

The show is fine, it's still more subtle with its otaku pander than 90% of recent anime.

Kazzy

Bleach has far better pacing and kept the action high, one piece has too many lulls.

I don't know, it's one of the reasons I decided to stop watching it, probably for good. It appealed initially because of its pacing, but when it approached the filler-arcs, it obviously reversed all of that goodwill.

I called it at about episode 160(ish) so well into the Hueco-Muendo arc. I just came to the realization that it had strayed too far, especially from what I had felt had been a well balanced tone becoming extremely erratic. There was just too much goofy nonsense that punctuated nearly every other scene. That's not to mention the pace becoming almost glacial.

Maybe I'm missing something by dropping it at that juncture, but it was beginning to feel like an obligation to watch. It was my first time watching such a long-running anime series, so I don't consider it a complete waste. I still maintain that the premise is still interesting though, I just don't think it fully delivered that potential.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know, it's one of the reasons I decided to stop watching it, probably for good. It appealed initially because of its pacing, but when it approached the filler-arcs, it obviously reversed all of that goodwill.

I called it at about episode 160(ish) so well into the Hueco-Muendo arc. I just came to the realization that it had strayed too far, especially from what I had felt had been a well balanced tone becoming extremely erratic. There was just too much goofy nonsense that punctuated nearly every other scene. That's not to mention the pace becoming almost glacial.

Maybe I'm missing something by dropping it at that juncture, but it was beginning to feel like an obligation to watch. It was my first time watching such a long-running anime series, so I don't consider it a complete waste. I still maintain that the premise is still interesting though, I just don't think it fully delivered that potential.

Nah, your impression is correct; Bleach eventually shits the bed in every way imaginable, and not just with the filler arcs or the pacing. You're lucky to have quit it when you did because the concentration of wasted potential and terrible storytelling just snowballs with each successive arc. Although several of us have endured it all, DTL may be unique here in actually liking it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Korra no Densetsu 7

If there was any question whatsoever whether this show is anime, this episode settled it. I must admit the first half was a little painful with all the keikaku vs keikaku'ed going on, but it all resolved into
MOBILE SUITS

Also...

Toph taught her daughter well!

Kazzy

Nah, your impression is correct; Bleach eventually shits the bed in every way imaginable, and not just with the filler arcs or the pacing. You're lucky to have quit it when you did because the concentration of wasted potential and terrible storytelling just snowballs with each successive arc. Although several of us have endured it all, DTL may be unique here in actually liking it.

I won't lie, it had me for a while, the soul-society arc specifically (big suprise there!). I was a little sad to let it go, but I'd rather choose that over retroactively ruining any good memories I have of the first couple of arcs.

Cwarrior

How long is it before One-Piece allegedly becomes good? I remember checking it out a while ago, but the few episodes I watched seemed unappealing. I've been told that it takes a while before it takes hold though, but I always find that to be a real bad way to sell someone on a series.

I came in with negative opinions but around episode 15 it became a " 1 more episode" sort thing I didn't intend to watch that many episode but by arlong park I was laughing in stitches, by beginning of louge town I realized I was hooked it was to late for me, I had failed in my quest to hate it :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I won't lie, it had me for a while, the soul-society arc specifically (big suprise there!). I was a little sad to let it go, but I'd rather choose that over retroactively ruining any good memories I have of the first couple of arcs.

I really like Bleach through the Soul Society arc, but after that.... Kubo should just quit making manga and become a fashion designer.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I was the same. Really fanatical about Bleach through the Soul Society arc and even into the early portions of the Arrancar saga (Bount arc? What Bount arc?), but my enthusiasm died quickly once the series became an endless string of fights dragged out to several times their natural length by glacial pacing and Kubo made it forever clear that he had zero idea how to utilize the large stable of pretty great characters that he'd created.

I continued to watch for years after I stopped enjoying the show out of sheer determination and fond remembrance for what she show used to be, but it was far from pleasant and Bleach filler especially is among the worst anime that I've ever watched. You should really never regret your decision to stop watching, as you'd only be in for two hundred more episodes of frustration, boredom, and disgust if you were to resume where you left off.

Kazzy

I really like Bleach through the Soul Society arc, but after that.... Kubo should just quit making manga and become a fashion designer.

I really liked the character designs (for the most part), so you can understand why I was crestfallen when I realized that after the SS arc, most of the The Gotei 13 would be relegated to the sidelines! Most of the interesting captains weren't featured nearly enough after that point.

Kore wa Zombie desuka 06-07

Shit finally happened.
Eu talked again, drunk fairy was explained

I finally realized why I recognized the ED song: It uses some chords from a Megadeth song that was popular in Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I really liked the character designs (for the most part), so you can understand why I was crestfallen when I realized that after the SS arc, most of the The Gotei 13 would be relegated to the sidelines! Most of the interesting captains weren't featured nearly enough after that point.

If you can believe it, most of the captains
have still received zero character development and we don't know half of their Bankais nearly ten years later
. I think I finally have my response prepared for that "if you could punch one person in the face" thread in OT.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sweet Precure 7

YgOFl.jpg

Tsun~

The direction and focus of this episode were all over the place, but the subplot between Kanade and Hibiki was one of the better ones so far.

The fight was really lame though. This episode felt like it was made from the scattered shards of half a dozen different episodes, it was constantly meandering about aimlessly. The one thread running through was
Hibiki and Kanade realizing that sometimes no one is really right or wrong in an argument, and forgiveness requires both people to be willing.
I was worried that a lot of the interaction between Hibiki and Kanade was just going to be all angsty, so having the "problem" this time be only a friendly argument was a nice reassurance. The episodic plot was really weak, so it was a good decision to take it out of the spotlight and focus on the Precure instead. It still wasn't that good of an episode, but that kept it from being actually bad.

Ignoring the worthless Bounts filler arc characters did received lots of screentime after that even having fights and stuff when Ichigo wasnt around and getting their own focused good filler arcs and episodes. You should finish the anime now that its over, I can assure you, its worth it.

Cwarrior

I started watching bleach cause it was new at the time only the first episode had aired and I need something to watch cause I caught up with naruto.

I thought it had potential but I manly watched it for the side characters once they showed up, I disliked ichigo fights and hollow monster of the week crap, loved the sound track.

have still received zero character development and we don't know half of their Bankais nearly ten years later
. I think I finally have my response prepared for that "if you could punch one person in the face" thread in OT.

I am still waiting for those bankais, there's no way am allowing this man to end it without giving the bankais.

cajunator

Banned
http://www.vinto-de-pint.com/

There are 12 hints up now, so it's time to do a recap since there's a little more than a week left before it's revealed. I'll group the hints into categories so it's more informative.

General details:
- The theme is "friendship"? (Hint #1)
- The genre is "girl's scifi action" (Hint #4)
- There are 5 main heroines (Hint #5)
- The show depicts the girls trying their best in a cute manner (Hint #12)

Main character:
- The main character is a 14 year old girl (Hint #2)
- She lives with her sister and grandfather (Hint #6)
- Due to various circumstance, they live in poverty (Hint #7)

Setting:
- The show is set in a peaceful world where science can resolve all problem (Hint #10)
- The actual stage of the story is set on two different islands - a natural one surrounded by nature, and a man-made one filled with science (Hint #11)

Staff:
- The director is also handling the character designs (Hint #3)
- The series composition is handled by both the director and the main writer (Hint #8)
- There is a mecha designer among the main staff members (Hint #9)

To recap what we already know, this is a new original TV anime being bankrolled by Aniplex and Dengeki G's magazine. The current information we have suggests very strongly that the director/character designer/writer for this series is Yasuomi Umetsu of Kite and
Mezzo Forte fame. Based on comments he made on his blog 2 years
ago, it is also possible that the main writer for the series is Michiko Itou of RKB fame.

This looks pretty interesting actually.
Although Kite and Mezzo ova are hentai.
The mezzo dsa tv series is not hentai though and has some neat action in it.

I started to watch Gintama after all the love Gaf gives it. Can I expect the show to ever be serious, or will it be firing comedy at me all the time? I would love to see a balance between the two!

Just to clarify, I found the first episode relatively funny. I got a few chuckles from it.

I started watching bleach cause it was new at the time only the first episode had aired and I need something to watch cause I caught up with naruto.

I thought it had potential but I manly watched it for the side characters once they showed up, I disliked ichigo fights and hollow monster of the week crap, loved the sound track.

I am still waiting for those bankais, there's no way am allowing this man to end it without giving the bankais.

Orihime! <3

Kazzy

Ignoring the worthless Bounts filler arc characters did received lots of screentime after that even having fights and stuff when Ichigo wasnt around and getting their own focused good filler arcs and episodes. You should finish the anime now that its over, I can assure you, its worth it.

In fairness the invasion half of the bount storyline at least had some cool set-piece battles, even if its conclusion was hilariously anti-climatic. But towards the end, even in the canon arcs, things were getting stale for me. I specifically remember skipping entire segments of episodes once they all the characters paired off to fight the stooge arrancar in Hueco-Mundo. It had quite blatantly descended into DBZ levels of nonsense, what with the repeated fake-outs to every battle.

Not even Zaraki?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

So worthless that you watched it three times?

Not even Zaraki?

NOPE.

Still hoping that the crazy fan theory of Yachiru being the spirit of his zanpakutou (or vice-versa) is true.

Cwarrior

I have to admit I liked some of the bounto arc like the fights with the guy with the metal doll and Kira.

I started to watch Gintama after all the love Gaf gives it. Can I expect the show to ever be serious, or will it be firing comedy at me all the time? I would love to see a balance between the two!

Just to clarify, I found the first episode relatively funny. I got a few chuckles from it.

Orihime! <3

oh no not her, she managed to make me cringe few times she too anime, she should get shipped off to some magical girl show where she belongs.

Bleach didn't become interesting until ishida showed up then we learnt more about shinigami world

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh no not her, she managed to make me cringe few times she too anime, she should get shipped off to some magical girl show where she belongs.

KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN!
KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN! KUROSAKI-KUN!

Kazuma, be glad that you quit the show before the above happened to Orihime.

Gundam Seed HD 14
tumblr_m4aplurEyk1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Shoot out that power, Gundam (General Unilateral Neuro-Link Dispersive Automatic Maneuver...), that cant be canon, no other Gundam mentioned it. The first OP was vastly superior. And worst they are using dead characters in the OP
Yzak for one
, why?

Informative recap or dive into history, though failed to explain why people would be against coordinators, if I was in universe, I wouldnt mind if I gave my offspring the chance to be coordinators, why hate others for it?

And Flay
making moves on Kira is killing me. For canon, He would be better with Lacus or even that other girl from way in the beginning, dont understand what is motivating Flay and the preview is even worst about it.

Kazzy

Kazuma, be glad that you quit the show before the above happened to Orihime.

...but that always happened. Who knew that it would take until the Arrancar arc until her character development actually began!

Her scene with Ichigo before she was officially 'kidnapped' was well done to be fair. So it's a shame that up until that point, I had grown to massively resent how much screentime had been dedicated to her, especially as she was a glorified cheerleader.

Orihime was indeed lame, it was also kind of disturbing how inconsistent her breast size was, it bordered on the embarrassing at times. If you're going to shoehorn and animate disproportionate teenage girls into your series, at least do it consistently!

Uchip

Banned
Bleach is the opposite of One Piece in that it had a good start and fell into obscurity
whereas One Piece slowly grows on you (it helps that all of the main characters are actually characters)

• I agree with everything in this post

I have to admit I liked some of the bounto arc like the fights with the guy with the metal doll and Kira.

Bleach didn't become interesting until ishida showed up then we learnt more about shinigami world

It seems like I actually enjoy the cringe-worthy females. :-(

sonicmj1

Sankarea 7

That was an episode.

Rei2q.jpg

Average background art for an average episode.

I guess this is the Ranko equivalent of Episode 2. And it's not as good. Part of it is because her circumstances are significantly less dramatic, part of it is because the direction still isn't as strong (though I thought it was okay here), and part of it is because child Chihiro is a really selfish kid that no one should like.

GqSqo.jpg

Such a caring guy. Of course she likes him!

I didn't like Ranko before, but this episode awakened the same sort of childhood friend-loving instincts that drew me to Manami. Why is she so drawn to someone who totally ignores her, and doesn't care about what she thinks? It's frustrating.

I feel like the current events and the flashback could have been better integrated, but the way this played out was just average. I'll keep watching if it stays average, but it'd be nice if it were really good again.

rESDS.jpg

This was a great way of mixing the past and present, and I think if stuff like this happened more often in the episode, I would have cared more about what was happening.

This episode was the first time I enjoyed Chihiro's friend's antics.

Preview suggests things could heat up soon. That might be nice.

Fate/Zero 20:
Interesting episode. It was slower paced for the most part, but that wound up working to its favor when
Rider just showed up out of fucking nowhere.
That scene was pretty shocking in how it completely interrupted the pacing. I think the episode worked well at fleshing out some motivations some more. Irisviel feels more interesting to me after this episode, and I really enjoyed the different way Rider and Waver interacted here.
Rider's response to Waver and his thoughts about his past were pretty engaging and it helps develop his motivations and contextualize his interactions with Waver (and everyone to a lesser extent) up to this point. It completely ties in with his feelings on the way Saber is living her life and thinking about fairy tail ideals too much.

Cwarrior

Bleach is the opposite of One Piece in that it had a good start and fell into obscurity
whereas One Piece slowly grows on you (it helps that all of the main characters are actually characters)

I disagree i thought it started off ok turned mediocre after a few monster of the week episode didn't become good until introduction of shinigamis then it was dead to me after a series of very underwhelming ichigo fights in the ss arc.

Then Aizen happened he saved bleach, gave it a purpose that's where it peaked.

Thoraxes

[*]Elena's otaku tendencies

I actually though that referencing Misato from Evangeloion in what she sometimes says in the previews about fanservice.

cajunator

Banned
Acchi Kocchi 07:

Ah, I had the wrong kanji again. >_> I have a ways to go in my studying it seems. :/

Yes. This is probably one of the cutest shows to come out in a long time.

Elena is voiced by Omigawa though, and that alone is enough to make her better than
the rest of the cast.

Yes. Elena is the best thing about AO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom