• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, that was bullshit. Mashima can't keep a consistent power scale down to save his life, which would normally make way for creative usages of powers, but not here.

Anyway, if you're kind of enjoying it now, I see no reason why you wouldn't begrudgingly end up liking the series in the end. Next arc should make or break it for you.

Edit: Also in regards to Gajeel, the anime actually made him a BIGGER asshole. He was never
kicking Lucy around while tied up
in the manga.

I mean, I'm all for fights where the underdog wins against all expectations, but when one character is established as one of the ten strongest mages on the continent, another is simply an S-class guild member, and one
just took a direct hit from a magic cannon and collapsed
, how all of this played out was stupidly absurd. I've already resigned myself to the knowledge that if I ever enjoy Fairy Tail that it's going to be in spite of the fights, but this was especially bad.

And, yeah, I didn't remember Gajeel being such an asshole in the manga on top of just being generally belligerent, so when I saw him casually
crushing Lucy's guts to a pulp
I was kind of like huh?

Kind of low for Bleach. I gave it an 8, which seems to be the average. It did a great job adapting the source so much that I prefer it much more than the manga, not to mention they gave it two great filler arcs.

That's the problem.

Soma

A lot of the stuff on my own MAL is rated somewhat high because I haven't really subjected myself to bad shows*. The lowest score I've got on there is 4 which have been delegated to Infinite Stratos and Mayo Chiki. The reason why both aren't any lower is because they each have characters I like (Char and Konoe respectively). And Blood-C has yet to be rated by myself since I believe it needs no rating.

*bad by my standards at least~

Queen's Blade 10
C6kHl.jpg

Don't mind them, they're just "training."
After getting her ass kicked by Risty, Leina finally got sick of being terrible at fighting. So she goes to the perfect woman for the job, Echidna. The same elf that molested and humiliated her in the 3rd episode. Sounds like a good idea. And apparently it was, because for like 2 days straight they train and in the end Leina learns a new technique called "Dragon's Tail" for some reason. Maybe now she won't be such a wimp. Looks like the season is coming to it's climax with the next episode being a rematch between Leina and Claudette. Now hopefully Leina won't get totally destroyed this time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
A lot of the stuff on my own MAL is rated somewhat high because I haven't really subjected myself to bad shows*. The lowest score I've got on there is 4 which have been delegated to Infinite Stratos and Mayo Chiki. The reason why both aren't any lower is because they each have characters I like (Char and Konoe respectively). And Blood-C has yet to be rated by myself since I believe it needs no rating.

I definitely know that I'm a lot more harsh with my ratings than the average MALer. According to my list, I've given out twelve 1s, sixteen 2s, eight 3s, and eleven 4s, and a lot of scores for shows that I haven't watched since I was a teenager would probably be lower if I were go to back and watch them again.

I actually didn't rate series on my MAL for the longest time because I had begun to fall into the trap of constantly thinking about what I was going to rate something while I was watching it, but I edited scores back in recently because that's no longer a problem for me and, really, I just hate the thought of MAL being dominated by Four Point Scale-ers. When the worst shit ever created has metascores in the 5 range, you know that there's a huge problem with the way things are rated.

Phi Brain S2 7

How does
missing a meeting cause your mom's death?
I can't tell if they're hinting at more to the story or if we're somehow supposed to extract a meaning from what's been given, and the only one I can think of is
her son was sad, so she got depressed too which hindered her recovery.
If so, that's not really something you should be blaming on Kaito. God these people >_>

Tense puzzle though.

Jarmel

Banned
Listening to the full version of Escape(AO's OP) and the second half of the song would have made a much more interesting OP.

That's pretty much the same as me. Looking at my rating scale, it is pretty much from 7 to 10, since I usually wouldn't finish shows that I thought were terrible and I wouldn't rate them if I didn't finish them. Such a double standard.

Articalys

Phi Brain S2 7

How does
missing a meeting cause your mom's death?
I can't tell if they're hinting at more to the story or if we're somehow supposed to extract a meaning from what's been given, and the only one I can think of is
her son was sad, so she got depressed too which hindered her recovery.
If so, that's not really something you should be blaming on Kaito. God these people >_>

Tense puzzle though.
While it doesn't excuse some of the stupidity, I think
it's got something to do with that damn pendant Freecell carries around. You could see his mother giving it to him from her deathbed or something

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Fate/Zero] 02

All these people are talking and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO BORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

Except Rider. Rider is mai husbando. He smacks Waver down and dosent afraid of anything.

Also excellent scene with Caster. Dude's creepy. Goddamn, even Nyaruko makes a cameo.

While it doesn't excuse some of the stupidity, I think
it's got something to do with that damn pendant Freecell carries around. You could see his mother giving it to him from her deathbed or something

True. Still kind of a disappointing setup compared to Rook, who was implied to be legitimately twisted instead of a baby about a broken promise and (possibly) misplaced blame.

If thats supposed to be a good fight then i might as well just drop the show :/
disappointing

I liked the Juvia fight, but I wouldn't say any of the fights are really good until the following arc, and even then it's a YMMV thing.

True. Still kind of a disappointing setup compared to Rook, who was implied to be legitimately twisted instead of a baby about a broken promise and (possibly) misplaced blame.

True , rook motivations were quite logical and clear given his childhood and the events.. ..i love the IDEA BEHIND ORPHEUS ORDER AS ANTAGONISTS BUT THAT FLASHBACK AND EXPLANATIONS MAKE NO SENSE AS IT IS ..i hope we'll have the full picture soon

Mine is usually just from 4 (Nichijou, Working, Honey and Clover) to a 10 (Eva, S7, PB:KnP, GC). Tons of 6-8's. Dont understand how people can have so many things as 10's when I look at random lists or even irl friends lists.
I- I don't know how to respond to this. The fact that you think so highly of Evangelion has to be a fluke.

Kettch

I don't really know how to feel about Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. It's at least coherent, with decent characters and mildly entertaining. Which makes it an absolutely massive improvement on C³, so that's going in the right direction.

On the other hand, the only reason I'm paying attention to this at all was because of C³'s stunningly impressive visual style. Unfortunately, while Dusk Maiden has had a few moments, it's so much less ambitious in that area that I've gotten bored watching most of it.

Why can't they get both right. :(

Honey and Clover was too slow for me, and I couldn't get into the character designs nor the plot at all, I just couldn't connect.
It's on the slow side, I'll give you that.
I definitely know that I'm a lot more harsh with my ratings than the average MALer. According to my list, I've given out twelve 1s, sixteen 2s, eight 3s, and eleven 4s, and a lot of scores for shows that I haven't watched since I was a teenager would probably be lower if I were go to back and watch them again.

I actually didn't rate series on my MAL for the longest time because I had begun to fall into the trap of constantly thinking about what I was going to rate something while I was watching it, but I edited scores back in recently because that's no longer a problem for me and, really, I just hate the thought of MAL being dominated by Four Point Scale-ers. When the worst shit ever created has metascores in the 5 range, you know that there's a huge problem with the way things are rated.
I have a MAL account, but I haven't rated anything yet. I don't feel very comfortable giving numerical values to the shows I've seen, even the really bad ones.

NewFresh

Kaze to Ki no Uta (The Poem (Song) of the Wind and the Trees)

Much like other adaptations of Keiko Takemiya'smaterial, this is very much part of the Shoujo genre (\70's shoujo made in the 80's) and it makes no qualms about it. Much like Natsu e no Tobira (The Door Into Summer), the setting is an all-male boarding school (Pretty much identical to that of Natsu). The characters are extremely familiar in their designs. They are very androgynous, but much like other shoujo, it serves the story well. Gilbert looks identical to the protagonist in Natsu amd there are even some Oniisama e (-esque) characters. To those familiar with Oniisame e, a Rei look alike makes an appearance later in the film.

cpGPv.jpg

Slam dat Latin!

The story takes place from the perspective of now graduated Serge, a transfer student from France. He is returning to his alma mater (A preparatory boarding school) to reminisce? Maybe? They don’t make his intentions clear, but in the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal.

There is a great use of classical music though out the film. Serge is a piano virtuoso, so there are quite a few scenes where we see him flex his musical muscles. One scene in particular, nearing the end of the OVA, I put on a loop (Chopin Etude Op. 25/11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOLil6tCfE). There is also poetry, often appearing overlaid into the scene. It is written as if Serge had dedicated it to Gilbert. It comes fast, so I took the liberty of transcribing it:

Gilbert Cocteau-

You were the most
beautiful flower to
ever bloom in my life

You were a red flame
Fiercely burning bright
within out youthful
dreams.

You were the wind
stiring the branches

Can you hear the song of
the wind and trees?

Can you hear the rustling
of our youth?

Ah, there must be others
who remember.

Those who remember the
good old days of their youth.

The school is very strict, as many boarding schools are...I imagine. The school works as a sort of boudry that all the students are placed behind. They are not oppressed, but seem to be unfriendly to those who act out.

Serge is placed into a room, which seems to have a reputation. This is due to its current occupant, Gilbert. The polar opposite of what this well-mannered boy represents. The initial meeting of Serge and Gilbert is laced with sexuality. Gilbert’s lips come close to Serge...too close. But he pushes Gilbert away and collapses. Now Gilbert is passed out, not breathing, and in need of assistance. Serge goes to find help, but the other characters seem to strangely accept the fact that Gilbert is passed out. This is something that happens often, so it is approached as if nothing is out of the ordinary...

OKrf7.jpg

He is beautiful, that much is clear.

His resuscitation is another look into Serge’s lack of comfort with sexual behaviors. Mouth to mouth terrifies him; the student helping’s contact with Gilberts lips causes him to jump back in fear. He seems to be unable to separate a kiss from resuscitation. He is asked to keep a rhythm…

Ichi... Ni... san
Ichi.... Ni.... san
Ichi..... Ni..... san

The rhythm count gets slower and slower, as Serge becomes more interested in the process…

Ichi...... Ni...... san
Ichi....... Ni....... san
Ichi........ Ni........ san

Gilbert reminds me so much of Rei from Oniisama e… it's uncanny. And as the OVA progresses, it reminded me more and more of the melodramatic aspects in involving Rei.

I think that means gay...

The OVA takes a turn for the explicit when we find out about why Gilbert has his reputation as we find out about Gilberts...extra-curricular activities. He is a sex object, or at least he is perceived as one. I think this is when the OVA really picks up. We learn the realities of how Gilbert functions in this school and why he has such a strained relationship between him and the rest of the school. All the other students seem to hate him for this, while at the same time they seem to lust over him. One student proclaims "We've all been seduced by him". But later they express how dirty homosexuality is in their eyes. This is something that has always bothered me, but also interested me, about these kinds of works. Their take on homosexuality is both encouraging and dismissive. But this is for another conversation.

As the relationship between Serge and Gilbert develops, it becomes one of caregiver and patient. Serge wants to look after Gilbert, but he is not comfortable with being told what to do. He is not comfortable with being controlled. He asks himself “Why isn’t he lonely?”…He wants Gilbert to be lonely so that they may be lonely together.

GEnKA.jpg

Oh so jealous!

Their relationship appears to become much clearer after an incident involving Gilbert in their very room. But this is just an indication of what is to come. This relationship between Serge and Gilbert can be boiled down to "He is broken…but...but I can fix him!" Not an uncommon one, but it's still interesting to watch.

They are amidst the days
of their youth.

Standing in the boundaries of
their sexuality, the hold both
their hopes and fears of
adulthood in their hands.

They are standing at the
entrance of a million
crossroads leading to the
future.

What ties them all together
is the law of freedom.

They are all candles,
freshly lit.

This is where one must
control one's feelings.

Doubt.
Envy.
Content, yet with an
outpouring of tears.

Good people...
Bad people...
They shall both have their desires fulfilled.

Claws still hidden...
Watching in bewilderment.

The stressful day where
one comes to his own.

Youth.

On their own, the students of the academy act like children, even though they are expected to be more mature and adult-like at school. Here we see that really, the control of the environment is what shapes them...all of them except for our Serge and Gilbert. They are what they always have been, even when away from school. This is a good thing in Serge’s case, but Gilbert is not able to be controlled, and reverting to a prior affair. Once again treating him like the sexual object that everyone has made him out to be.

Cm2Gb.jpg

These eyes appear a few times and on character that are not central to the story. They stick out in a really weird way.

The moment that their relationship changes, is the moment that Serge can finally come to terms with his own desires. Serge wants something that he thinks Gilbert can give him, but he is only half right. Like many damaged characters, Gilbert is the result of some sort of abuse. He is what someone, along with the ideas of many, have made him out to be. This is where the OVA does a great job of showing how his emotional state is driven by pain, pleasure, and abuse. He is attempting to fill this vacuum or suppress these feelings with the sexuality that is destroying him.

In the end, the story feels incomplete when taken from the perspective of Gilbert. But it is not his story to tell, we are listening to Serge and in his case it ends abruptly. One can say that the culminations of their joint experiences is the end, but they set up so much more, that leaving it just there...it feels dismissive. It feels abrupt.

If anyone enjoyed The Door Into Summer, they will enjoy this as well. It's a little less melodramatic and equally as entertaining. It is definitely better made, but it almost loses some of the flare of Natsu because of it.

Edit: In terms of animation and visual aesthetics, this does a lot of what The Door Into Summer did. They often color the entire scene blue, green, a singular color. They do a great job at making Gilbert look amazingly gorgeous and shimmering (literally) with life and sensuality. The animation can be a bit stiff at times, but it never takes away from the experience. It does a great job of staying visually and narratively captivating.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Damn, that really does look and sound like Door Into Summer 2: Repressed Brolust Boogaloo. Must watch eventually.

Eden of the East: Paradise Lost
ecsMQ.gif

I won't lie, the whole explanation at the end was flying over my head. So, it was a good movie. Was it a good end to the whole series? No. I felt that the TV ending was a lot better and gave more closure even though I was missing bits of information everywhere then. But even then, the movie's ending was more like so what? It didn't feel that strong which coming off the TV ending, I guess nothing could.
But besides that, the movie was still enjoyable. I still liked the characters, I really wouldn't mind if they gave me an Accel World style exposition bomb at everything in this series just so I could feel like I understand what was going on. But, it was still a good show, I enjoyed it besides not fully understanding anything and the endings where something was felt missing.

It still had great music though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
i've heard some amazing things about the dub for this

I vaguely feel like somebody here had the pink-haired woman as their avatar in my lurking days. It seems to be rarely mentioned here for something that is supposedly material for THE LIST.

also, watch Dark Cat (dub) the first opportunity that you get. I really need to read your reaction.

wonzo

Banned
I vaguely feel like somebody here had the pink-haired woman as their avatar in my lurking days. It seems to be rarely mentioned here for something that is supposedly material for THE LIST.

also, watch Dark Cat (dub) the first opportunity that you get. I really need to read your reaction.
i'll watch it as soon as i've finally caught up with everything that currently airing (damn diablo 3). i can't wait to watch it!

Jex

Nah, it definitely deserves to be up there with all those other terrible shows, it's just not quite as bad as stuff like Garzey's Wing. Nevertheless, it's an important part of any collection!

Branduil

savinganime4.jpg

i've heard some amazing things about the dub for this

It's quite wonderful.

Nah, it definitely deserves to be up there with all those other terrible shows, it's just not quite as bad as stuff like Garzey's Wing. Nevertheless, it's an important part of any collection!

The difference between Sukeban Deka and those other shows is that it's not actually bad. It's just incredibly silly.

GaoGaiGar 10

Mariana Trench episode, eh. Not a nice place to be in a shitty sub like that.

I am convinced Umakoshi or whoever is responsible for Heartcatch pretty much copied the basic framework from this. They adhere to a nearly identical formula despite being in different genres.

Jex

Kaze to Ki no Uta (The Poem (Song) of the Wind and the Trees)

Edit: In terms of animation and visual aesthetics, this does a lot of what The Door Into Summer did. They often color the entire scene blue, green, a singular color. They do a great job at making Gilbert look amazingly gorgeous and shimmering (literally) with life and sensuality. The animation can be a bit stiff at times, but it never takes away from the experience. It does a great job of staying visually and narratively captivating.
That's the kind of thing you'd see in a lot of Dezaki works, such as Golgo 13, from the 70's and 80's. It's one of the tools he uses in lieu of really expressive animation. Dezaki uses a variety of different techniques to induce certain reactions in the audience and to tell you certain things about the characters without actually having really good animation/

Branduil

That's the kind of thing you'd see in a lot of Dezaki works, such as Golgo 13, from the 70's and 80's. It's one of the tools he uses in lieu of really expressive animation. Dezaki uses a variety of different techniques to induce certain reactions in the audience and to tell you certain things about the characters without actually having really good animation/

Sounds like he ripped off SHAFT.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And that influenced others as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom