• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You all are horrible animals who should be spayed and neutered.
Not our fault you guys are on the wrong team!

Anklets, piercings, cufflinks, hip chains, bolos, watches, garters, bobby pins, fobs; you name it, they'll use it!
Well, I figure anything under the waist is off limits, since they are still trying to sell to girls... and they're not going to git rid of those hawt boots.

Oh, I suppose they can keep upgrading the compact. Every time they do that, the girls have to buy a new one. They probably half to buy all the decors too. :p

Doesn't really count because she was anime's least-convincing reverse trap of all time, haha.
Better than Char!

I'll kick your maple ass a million hectares back to Saskatchewan, just like we did in The War!
America, Canada's boxers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Why are you wearing purple contact lenses? Are you that desperate to draw attention to yourself?"
"Ami, don't you get tired of dying your hair every day?"

"Just how much hair gel do you go through in a week, Cloud?"

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sound like you're talking about
Kanna's 10 babies when she's 40 years old and still getting drunk every night and spilling her sagging body into that cat maid outfit.

oh-no-you-didnt-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-216.gif

Jex

"Ami, don't you get tired of dying your hair every day?"

"Just how much hair gel do you go through in a week, Cloud?"

These are questions that demand answers. I was pretty shocked when it was actually brought up in AO, but then again that was only because of the whole 'outsider' angle.

I guess The Twelve Kingdoms is another good example but it explicitly deal with hair dye in episode one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I figure anything under the waist is off limits, since they are still trying to sell to girls... and they're not going to git rid of those hawt boots.

Oh, I suppose they can keep upgrading the compact. Every time they do that, the girls have to buy a new one. They probably half to buy all the decors too. :p

Yes, anything that interferes with the boots is off limits. Usually the upgrades end up being objects that just pop out of thin air when needed rather than an article of clothing. It won't stop them from thinking of plenty of ways to part plastic-mad little girls from their parents' money!

Better than Char!

I should have included the caveat among watchable shows in my previous statement.

America, Canada's boxers.

Indeed, it takes all of America's glory to shield the rest of the world from Canada's comically-small penis.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's at times like this that I really wish a character in the show would say something along the lines of:

"Why are you wearing purple contact lenses? Are you that desperate to draw attention to yourself?"
You got a problem with purple eyes?

Jex

I really feel that this deserves to be quoted in full:

Boycotts are busywork and nonsense, but what can’t continue, won’t. If otaku had actual families and businesses and obligations, then they wouldn’t have as much surplus wealth which could be wasted on nonessential nonsense like figurines and BDs and so on.

Anime thrives in the penumbra between societal despair and disposable income.

On average, otaku are like homosexuals - they seem richer than they are, because their lack of a future leaves them with an unusual ratio of expenses to disposable income.

Jex

I agree, except about the latent gay-bashing.

I feel that it's emblematic of a lot of things that I read on the internet which start out sounding fairly reasonable and end up completely insane. I mean, the discussion of super expensive products is an interesting one, but way to go completely off the rails.

Jex

You got a problem with purple eyes?

Not at all, I just find it funny that totally unnatural hair/eye colours are taken for granted in anime where as in live action you wouldn't be able to get away with that stuff unless you had some kind of explanation.

Jarmel

Banned
Not at all, I just find it funny that totally unnatural hair/eye colours are taken for granted in anime where as in live action you wouldn't be able to get away with that stuff unless you had some kind of explanation.

I think it's just traditional now in that the colored hair is accepted in most shows. My guess it was done in the earlier days to have more distinctive character designs. In E7 though IIRC only the two female leads have colored hair and there was a story reason for that. That's why it's brought up in AO(of course then Oda designs a character with purple hair) in that Eureka's hair is very distinctive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, anything that interferes with the boots is off limits. Usually the upgrades end up being objects that just pop out of thin air when needed rather than an article of clothing. It won't stop them from thinking of plenty of ways to part plastic-mad little girls from their parents' money!
Girls get the best plastic crap!

I should have included the caveat among watchable shows in my previous statement.
What are you saying about Natsu no Arashi? :p

Indeed, it takes all of America's glory to shield the rest of the world from Canada's comically-small penis.
Shield us with that great universal health care! Oh wait!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 03:

uxO3Zl.jpg

Keep throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, Oonuma. I can take the bad in exchange for a few shots like this.

Now that I've had the revelation that this is basically a spookier Natsu no Arashi, I think I can handle the low budget and random directorial flights of fancy. This really is junk food anime, but I like the atmosphere, I like Yuuko, and new girls is okay too:

RKFHol.jpg

Looking kinda zetsuboushita there.

Dat earring moe.

So
Yuuko was a human sacrifice or something like that
? That's fucked up. No wonder she has
grudge mode
. It looks like the show will be dividing its time between club antics and the central mystery, probably occurring 90% in set pieces used in the first two episodes (olol).

p1YL7l.jpg

Some of this SHAFT junior grade stuff is awful.

Jex

The comedy in K-ON never did anything for me; it was mainly the enjoyable chemistry between the girls that kept me watching, and I feel a similar vibe from the Classics Club of Hyouka. No one is really that interesting or fleshed out on their own, but together they're pleasant and relaxing to watch.
I feel like the most important mystery is: what the club is actually supposed to be doing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Girls get the best plastic crap!

Seriously. Boys just have to use their imaginations, it sucks.

What are you saying about Natsu no Arashi? :p

I'm saying that I watched two entire seasons of it and couldn't make it through a single episode of Infinite Stratos!

Shield us with that great universal health care! Oh wait!

NO U

LAMESTREAM MEDIA LIES

Jarmel

Banned
It really depends on the work itself, how much money the poured into it and so on. Above 10k would certainly make it not a 'bomb' but I wouldn't call it 'good sales'.

Above 10k for a volume? That's very slim pickings then. 10k for a volume is great news.

Jex

Having a continuous plot arc does not automatically make something more or less interesting. If simply requires more investment on the part of the audience to enjoy the entire ride. The continuous plot arc itself can also be uninteresting and boring. Self-contained episodic story telling is just as valid, and can be used to present interesting or exciting stories as well.

Format is only a means to an end. It's all about execution and content. If K-On sucks, it is not because there is no overarching storyline, but it would be because the material being presented is uninteresting or poorly told.

I am kind of surprised that the whole episodic/overarching story debate wasn't finished with this post. I guess that would make too much sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am kind of surprised that the whole episodic/overarching story debate wasn't finished with this post.
Debates are never finished with single posts unless they say something along the lines of "Thread locked".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom