• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tatami Galaxy 3

I'm very impressed with this show's execution so far. It's very wordy, betraying its novel origins, but the creative visualization Yuasa provides and the delivery of the voice actors, especially Shintaro Asanuma, make it succeed as an animated work.

Of course, I'm a big fan of this kind of narrative structure and to see it used with such effectiveness as a character study brings a smile to my face.

frostbyte

As I've said, the goal is to skip to the national tournament, and entirely new material, as soon as possible, instead of having a series about Achiga doing the same things Kiyosumi did, but in a different place. I definitely wish that it was slower and had more stuff from before the national tournament, but that's not what they're doing, and it does work as is.

I'm kind of mixed about it. It feels rushed but the plot is still followable. and same, I wish we'd see more before the national tournament; it feels more natural to watch the characters endure through grueling mahjong matches instead of just a tick list of which schools they practiced against. I guess they have a good reason, as you said, and want to skip ahead to the more interesting national tournament, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I started rewatching it before Achiga aired, actually... still working on it, I'm through ep. 8 or 9. now. :)

I don't remember some of the older characters so I feel like rewatching it but no time -_-'

I don't think they quite match Kiyosumi, but they are a pretty good cast.

Yeah, their personalities aren't as colourful and charismatic as the original Saki cast. I said this because for the previous episodes they just seemed so bland but in ep 3, they started to capture some of the original cast's magic. I'd attribute some of their blandness due to the time skips, which don't let us really connect to and watch the characters grow.

On another note, one character seen in ep. 3 is ... a little different here ... from how she appears in the main Saki manga (she's fully clothed, but with her ... size, the manga versions might be borderline NSFW?): http://www.abload.de/img/mangavanimemikotduq4.jpg Yes, apparently those are both the same character. Of course the artists are different, but still... that's pretty different there.

She looks pretty different...the right certainly has a more substantial presence than the one on the left...

Summer Wars made almost as much money as K-On.

I'll let that sink in.

Source? Not that I don't believe you but, holy crap, seriously?

There's always purpose in arguing.

I don't have a problem with any of the performance scenes so far.

Anyway I rewatched the two performance scenes and other than the piano hands, most of it is clearly hand-drawn. Probably rotoscoped/references, but that's a very old traditional technique in of itself.

Did any of you have a problem with Nodame's CG?

Personally, Kids on the Slope's CG more accurately captures those fine nuances and looks fairly natural compared to Nodame's sometimes jarring CG. Of course, it's not really fair to compare both due to the age of Nodame. It's just that Kids on the Slope's CG is impressively integrated without looking incongruous with the scene at all.

I don't know anything about animation techniques like you guys but what's the main reason for KotS' amazing CG?

Eureka Seven Ep. 4

Good god, this episode had some really bad off-model faces. D: This was a good episode conceptually, but the execution was rather poor.

Renton looks happy.

Kagami

Well, that about wraps it up for anime films. Unless you're Hosoda or Miyazaki.
Meanwhile, on the limited-theater late-night anime front:

http://www.bunkatsushin.com/varieties/article.aspx?bc=2&id=1613
Despite being shown on a limited 18 screens, Strike Witches recorded a hit at 25,832 theatergoers, for 40,425,700 yen.
184.6% higher than Sora no Otoshimono (10 screens).
Earning an impressive 2.2 million yen per screen, the packed Kadokawa Cinema Shinjuku set a new record for highest first-day attendance (1767 people).

Jex

Meanwhile, on the limited-theater late-night anime front:

http://www.bunkatsushin.com/varieties/article.aspx?bc=2&id=1613
Despite being shown on a limited 18 screens, Strike Witches recorded a hit at 25,832 theatergoers, for 40,425,700 yen.
184.6% higher than Sora no Otoshimono (10 screens).
Earning an impressive 2.2 million yen per screen, the packed Kadokawa Cinema Shinjuku set a new record for highest first-day attendance (1767 people).

Well, that's all about knowing your audience and catering to them correctly I suppose. I presume Anno was there as well, enjoying himself.

Westlo

Now, I'm not that surprised about how much Horizon sold this week. Besides the whole boobs, cause I think this is actually the volume that covers the boobs fight, including one of Horizon's incredibly big short stories would definitely drive up the sales.

Super LTTP (this thread... so fast... if you fall behind a day...) but v5 actually sold less than v4 (by about 4%) even with all that and the stuff Digi mentioned.

Hayate no Gotoku S2 22

p0N67.jpg

Yw1Xi.jpg

Man, a battle version of Sayonarra Zetsubou Sensei sure would be weird.

Oh, and for those that still think no one dies in battle shounen,

UyKFg.jpg

QezC8.jpg

People die when they are killed!

frostbyte

Its all in Japanese but, for example, this one

http://otanews.livedoor.biz/archives/51865517.html

says that K-On broke 1.7 billion yen, beating Summer Wars' 1.65 billion box office. Of course K-On probably made a bit more than 1.7 at that.

Summer Wars: $17,425,019
K-ON!: $21,419,792

Thanks guys. Still surprised though, pleasantly though.

The same reason as any other good looking anime CG: effort.

Just effort? No special techniques such as that rotoscoping mentioned?

Jex

The Tatami Galaxy 3

I'm very impressed with this show's execution so far. It's very wordy, betraying its novel origins, but the creative visualization Yuasa provides and the delivery of the voice actors, especially Shintaro Asanuma, make it succeed as an animated work.

Of course, I'm a big fan of this kind of narrative structure and to see it used with such effectiveness as a character study brings a smile to my face.

It almost seems like a contradiction to an extremely verbose book and turn it into an extremely visual heavy anime - it really demonstrates Yuasa's skill as director that he can pull the whole thing off so soundly.

zeroshiki

To be fair, only the center girl looks ugly as sin there.

The art director/designer must have known she was quitting so they mangled her face.

sonicmj1

The Tatami Galaxy 3

The novel is 4 chapters/cycles long, so I can only assume that many of the episodes are completely original.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

zeroshiki

Really? I think it does kinda capture her derpy-ness!

http://i.imgur.com/2iKjE.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I would defend her but I really don't like her so I'll agree that she does look derpy. She's like the most popular idol but I can't for the life of me understand why.

duckroll

I would defend her but I really don't like her so I'll agree that she does look derpy. She's like the most popular idol but I can't for the life of me understand why.

We need to get together tonight and plan the basic format/design of the AKB0048 OT. You better be around. Also, it's super anime night! :D

zeroshiki

Sweet! While good music plays we get to plan the bad popular music OT!

I think its fascinating how poorly they all sing. There are hundreds of them and they all can't sing, dance, act or talk properly.

Also, one side effect of this anime is that talking about AKB48 is suddenly on-topic in this thread. So AnimeGaf, who's your favorite girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom