• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma: A Victorian Romance 3

You don't usually see an Indian prince randomly show up on an elephant in these stories. Hurray for exoticism! Hakim (and his harem) is a welcome disruptive force, and promises to have a host of entertaining antics in store. Of course he can't resist Emma's simple charms, and so we get a rather odd love triangle going.

The direction and animation was a step down from the previous two episodes, but not too much.

Jormungand 9
tumblr_m562fevjxR1qfsvizo1_500.gif

Partial beach episode ftw...Was alright, Jonah was funny and Lutz too. Bikini valmet looked so weird, so muscular.

Ending moments was intense.
cant believe the doctor ended up getting out the plane, dumb decision

Soma

mangabros, is the memory thing the end game of the manga? If not then what's happening in the manga right now?

From the latest episode, the show is starting to deviate from the manga.

In the manga
Yuuko retained her memories of Niiya after he "touched" her. Shadow Yuuko is still around and Kirie's grandmother has stepped into the story a little bit as well. The last thing I remember is that there's some sidestory going on with some other students, the old building is apparently scheduled to be demolished, and they're still getting closer to finding more about Yuuko's past.

duckroll

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

TV anime this Fall.

Director: Atsuko Ishizuka
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Design: Masahiro Fujii
Production: Genco
Animation: JC Staff

Another Madhouse bail-out! :D

TV anime this Fall.

Let's see what this is about.
After being kicked out of the main dorms for bringing in a stray cat, Kanda Sorata is forced to live in the smaller Sakura Halls where problem students are sent to live. Although he doesn’t mind his roommates, Sorata can’t wait to move out of Sakura Halls. But when Shiina Mashiro moves into the dorm, everything changes. Mashiro is an artistic genius who, at a young age, won many awards for her skills, but due to her childhood being so focused on art, she has no common sense and social skills. Forced to take the role of taking care of Mashiro, Sorata learns about himself and begins on a path of self improvement.
Comedy Ecchi Slice of Life
No thanks.

FMP Fumoffu 1

Looking back at this, it's interesting to note that Yasuhiro Takemoto already had an interest in creatively mixing up the visual style, though not to the same extent as he's doing now in Hyouka.

Oh, and it's still hilarious.

TV anime this Fall.

Atsuko Ishizuka has talent, judging by her work on Aoi Bungaku and Chihayafuru, but this...

I'm sure she'll find a way to Okadabot an adaptation too!

Like she did to Wandering Son?

Welcome to the NHK 7

Slow and kind of dull. Enjoyed more with Sato and Kaoru forming the business stuff for the mom visit but the girlfriend stuff was really dull.

Dislike mysterious people like Misato, she couldnt just tell him details about her, without lying? Though would have been funny if Kaoru dressed up as the girlfriend, lol

Dresden

TV anime this Fall.

Smutgaf anime of the season is all set to go.

Jex

Emma: A Victorian Romance 3

You don't usually see an Indian prince randomly show up on an elephant in these stories. Hurray for exoticism! Hakim (and his harem) is a welcome disruptive force, and promises to have a host of entertaining antics in store. Of course he can't resist Emma's simple charms, and so we get a rather odd love triangle going.

The direction and animation was a step down from the previous two episodes, but not too much.

A brief word of warning, the animation and direction, especially the storyboarding, are going to get worse before they get better. I don't know what happened during the production of the first season, but you basically have to wait until season two for them to get (much) better.

Hopefully these lowered expectations will make that pill easier to swallow.

A brief word of warning, the animation and direction, especially the storyboarding, are going to get worse before they get better. I don't know what happened during the production of the first season, but you basically have to wait until season two for them to get (much) better.

Hopefully these lowered expectations will make that pill easier to swallow.

That's disappointing, since the storyboarding of the first two episodes was pretty good (including an appearance by Tensai Okamura). I'll blame Studio Pierrot.

As long as I have my man Hakim around, I should be good though.

Jex

That's disappointing, since the storyboarding of the first two episodes was pretty good (including an appearance by Tensai Okamura). I'll blame Studio Pierrot.

As long as I have my man Hakim around, I should be good though.

I do believe that is the correct move. Season two is animated by Ajia-do Animation Works and looks significantly better.
Iketeru Futari 8

So she's just tsundere, and apparently a Chicago fan. This episode was pretty fun, and it had a scene with Yuuki. Boobs.

This just reminds me of how bad character designs got in the 90's. I am not surprised that the entire industry collapsed in 1999.

Iketeru Futari 10
T7WaV.png

I'm as clueless as you are Koizumi.
So a new character arrives on the scene and initiates another sort of love triangle. This younger boy named Pao has fallen in love with Saji, but Koizumi seems to have a thing for him. Why do people keep falling in love with Saji? And how does Yuuki fit into all this? Come on already and show her more.
iiu5a.png

Well, I guess that's something.

Jex

Within the first 30 seconds you are greeted to a slideshow of ugly, choppy CG (we're talking like 10-15 fps here). Bad enough that were I watching it in theaters I would've left. That soon. But tough it out, I said. It will pass, I said. I was wrong. About 50% of the movie is done with this horrible "style," which is just pathetic[...]
There are no impressive moments, nothing cool, no suspense, and they even managed to make Casca look horrible nude. I went from watching the original anime series to reading the manga, and my impression was that the anime did a mediocre job of presenting things (skipping some fairly important plot points, etc), albeit an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere. So I was hoping things would be presented in a more faithful manner this time around, but nah, not even close. This is just a bad attempt at cashing in.

Bad, terrible, garbage.
As far I am concerned, this is just what everyone deserves for complaining about the original anime adaptation!

Makoto

A Certain Scientific Railgun 1-3

thorilikeitanother.gif

Cute "Scientific" girls doing cute "scientific" things. I like this. It evokes feelings of Natsuiro Kiseki except with better characters, more violence, and less QUALITY.

A Certain Magical Index 4-7

Now this show on the other hand, I picked back up after getting bored of the feelings dump in episode 4. My original plan was to just watch Railgun and get back to this when Funimation finished the dub but whenever I see Toma in the OP for Railgun, it's like it was telling me to watch Index again, so I did. While I know that Index isn't required viewing for Railgun, I just said screw it and decided to commit to it. So far I'm still very iffy on it. Right out the gate, Index's life is on the line when I don't think the show has given us adequate reason to actually care about her, nor has it given us a reason to sympathize with Toma's desire to save her. Again, I gotta comment on how awful episode 4 was. 3/4 of the show was pretty much the same two shots in the same location and longer-than-necessary expository dumping of, "I JUST WANT TO PROTECT THOSE I CARE ABOUT."

Toma losing his memory is not doing the show any more favors. Neither are the character designs for anyone who isn't wearing a school uniform. Kanzaki's has to be the most offensive thus far. Judging by the OP, it looks like the rest of the cast isn't going to be any better. In any case, the Mikoto episodes are approaching, so I won't be dropping this anytime soon.

cajunator

Banned
Awww yeah.

Seconded :D

FMP Fumoffu 1

Looking back at this, it's interesting to note that Yasuhiro Takemoto already had an interest in creatively mixing up the visual style, though not to the same extent as he's doing now in Hyouka.

Oh, and it's still hilarious.

Atsuko Ishizuka has talent, judging by her work on Aoi Bungaku and Chihayafuru, but this...

Like she did to Wandering Son?

Fumoffu is a gift to animu fans everywhere. Totally hilarious. Totally awesome.

jman2050

The Rugby episode of Fumoffu is perfection.

The Homework recovery/hot springs/contagion episodes are only slightly below that level.

Dresden

apollon - 02

It was a good episode, with lots of highs, with all that infectious joy bubbling up, but . . .

6BVNwl.jpg

:/

The damsel in distress stuff always irks me and this girl has disaster written all over her. WTB love triangle.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope 8

i9nXfterGhS7w.jpg

That's a good excuse.

Oh, so now that
Kaoru
has a harem, you finally start getting interested,
Ritsuko
? How typical. Oh and I see they finally decided to focus on the the other characters. Jun is substantially more interesting than Yurika, who, as I suspected, is a shallow little girl. Not that that is necessarily unrealistic, unfortunately.

This is the first time I've felt like the directing did not live up to the material. The episode was obviously low-budget, but that's not necessarily a problem. What is a problem was the lazy overuse of flashbacks, most confusingly the
flashback to Jun kissing Yurika, since that presumably happened during a previous episode but we're only seeing it now.
I didn't dislike the episode because I still found the material interesting, but it could have been executed much better. If you don't have the money to animate something properly it becomes paramount to make the frames you do have very interesting and rich visually. They didn't really do that enough, unfortunately. The one exception was the musical session, as usual, where there was some nice expressive animation and direction. Oh, and the music was particularly good in this episode. The cue at the end of the episode sounded a lot like one of the tracks from Arjuna.

I think what we learned here is that communism ruins everything.

Dresden

apollon - 03/04

The show can get pretty ugly at times.

kAiKgl.jpg

I vaguely remembered folks talking about the fucked up passage of time in IRC at the tail end of episode three, but even with that looming in my mind I was still thrown off balance by the change in between the episodes. It's something I should go back and rewatch to make some sense of, but I'd rather push on and catch up on the show instead.

Enjoying the show--a lot--but I'm not sure if additional misunderstandings being heaped atop what they've built up so far is a good idea. That added complication with Brother Jun feels rather unnecessary. Not that I can fault Kaoru in this, who has been commendably forward with his intentions, and who has remained a sympathetic lead.

And man, all I did in high school was play Halo and smoke weed. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom