• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

yamato 2199 movie

Beginning was amazing, I was reminded why I watch anime again after some time....

Then during the hotel scene I just couldn't stay interested and kind of dozed off with all the e3 things happening. Ending was ok. Pretty good movie, but the hotel scenes went on for far toooooo looooong.

Spice and Wolf heh, now that's a show where pandering is an actual problem. I can't look at Holo and see anything else but all kinds of pandering traits. I mean it already starts with this ancient wolf god turning into a young, hot quasi-furry for no discernable reason.

Since a lot of the economics theory in the show are supposedly also false, what good is there.
Pandering ??
I think you totally missed the point.
First they make it clear that she is not a damsel in distress nor some kind of super powerfull entity either.
Second the point of the show is also about the relationship between the 2 MC ( Holo AND lawrence , even if the show is from lawrence POV ) = ( as they are travelling )
Third Holo is a fox deity that want to go back to her hometown and that loves apples ..damn that's pandering indeed /s
Fourth the various economy theories are simplified for the show but not false and most of the false can be attributed to the world setting.

As a proud owner of the books in 3 different languages( JPN, ENG , FR ) , i'll defend this to the death , come at me
When Yu Suzuki tweets a picture of a forklift, it doesn't mean Shenmue 3 is coming. You should know that.

Ah h ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
GAF now is just too funny to read.

Branduil

You should probably watch better shows if a few CG shots and a voice over is more interesting.

To be fair it will probably still be a way better game than Final-Four-Bros-In-a-Car-Hanging-Out-In-a-Vaguely-Homoerotic-Way-That-Fujoshi-Love-But-Not-So-Much-That-It-Turns-Off-Our-Male-Fans-BTW-Stella-Is-Dead-But-We-Have-Other-Waifus-Please-Buy-Our-Game-Ignore-the-Writer-Fantasy XV Versus.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So is GAF's most anticipated film now the Love Live Movie since that trailer was also filled with CG?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
yamato 2199 movie

Beginning was amazing, I was reminded why I watch anime again after some time....

Then during the hotel scene I just couldn't stay interested and kind of dozed off with all the e3 things happening. Ending was ok. Pretty good movie, but the hotel scenes went on for far toooooo looooong.
It's funny because I think that's the best part of the movie. lol

Reknoc

To be fair it will probably still be a way better game than Final-Four-Bros-In-a-Car-Hanging-Out-In-a-Vaguely-Homoerotic-Way-That-Fujoshi-Love-But-Not-So-Much-That-It-Turns-Off-Our-Male-Fans-BTW-Stella-Is-Dead-But-We-Have-Other-Waifus-Please-Buy-Our-Game-Ignore-the-Writer-Fantasy XV Versus.

Nothing about S-E's recent output has me believe this will be the case.

You've been watching to much anime dude

But but but LORD NOMURA-SAMA!!!!!

lol

From the mouth of Lord Nomura-sama:

"The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear but let us embrace whatever it brings.....for they are coming back. At last the promise has been made."

Technoxlyze 4

Errrr.....I think I'm going to have to start from the beginning again >.<

-Minsc-

So, I was browsing the Nintendo World Championship thread when it suddenly pierced the heavens.

591.png

(That's what it reminds me of at least.)

Pandering ??
I think you totally missed the point.
First they make it clear that she is not a damsel in distress nor some kind of super powerfull entity either.
Second the point of the show is also about the relationship between the 2 MC ( Holo AND lawrence , even if the show is from lawrence POV ) = ( as they are travelling )
Third Holo is a fox deity that want to go back to her hometown and that loves apples ..damn that's pandering indeed /s
Fourth the various economy theories are simplified for the show but not false and most of the false can be attributed to the world setting.

As a proud owner of the books in 3 different languages( JPN, ENG , FR ) , i'll defend this to the death , come at me

Oh and she loves alcoholic beverages! She plays the tsundere role well, too.

But before I go deeper again into this, why not explain to me why she's a young, hot, fox-ears and tail wielding woman when she's actually some thousand years or so old god? Why? Just because that's what people would be into.

Why doesn't she seem particularly wise? She has some special powers/tricks but often times seems rather naive and, while not a damsel in distress necessarily, she does need plenty of saving.

Nothing of her attributes seem to have anything to do with being some extremely old god. That background of hers is merely a justification to attach fox ears and tail on her, which she btw. loves to get stroked.

But so, does she have any flaws so far?
No. Not really. Sure, when they want to creation tension in that regard her wolf form gets played up but that is rather an external problem of hers, not a real character flaw.

She's also totally into Lawrence because of course she would be. Don't mind who she actually is, that's just background noise! Isn't it just the best when she's drunken and gets especially flirtatious?

Whenever I wonder why she is the way she is, the clear answer is: well she'd pander to a hell lot of a people. I wouldn't even mind it as much if there was more to her, like proper character flaws or there's be an actually interesting perspective concerning her being a god.

As she is though, she's boring. So is Lawrence. Sure, their relationship works somewhat but then the characters were crafted just for that.

Expelled from Paradise

Ended exactly like I predicted it would but in even a more bullshit 'MC is better than literally everyone in her organization combined despite earlier indications in the show that this isn't that case' way than I was expecting.
The ending was just so god damn stupid and I hate myself for bothering to watch this. And for whatever reason it isn't explained why they stopped going after her after the rocket took off. She's still on earth with a fucking robot she can't fix.

I fucking hate anime so god damn much. Time for more SoulTaker and E3.

cajunator

Banned
Yami Hat 2
I'm not liking how rapey this has been so far.

You know you suck when you have a lethal weapon in each hand and you get your ass kicked by an unarmed opponent who is using one arm to cover herself.

I don't know who this is, but he's pretty fabulous.

I was just thinking that myself narrator-san

Shocking betrayal!

Still don't really know what's going on, but it looks like the main character, the witch, and obligatory animal sidekick are traveling between worlds in a quest to save the sister. Simultaneously, Mr. Fabulous wants to capture the sister to use her power for nefarious purposes.

congratulate yourself for making more sense of Yami already than most people!

what a marvelous name!

Gonna need someone to tell me when LWA2 is coming out, cause I just saw the trailer, ive been waiting 2 years for this shit.

If it takes a while to get it right then so be it Trigger take your time.

Yami Hat 1
GAF recommended this to me from their list of essential anime, so I'm sure it's a genre defining classic. Plus I hear it has yuri, so I'm sure I'll find it enjoyable.

A few seconds in and I like it already.

Oh, so this is one of those animes.

Time to start a magical adventure I suppose.

Wait, why is this about spies in Russia now? What is happening? They just threw out way to many new names right there.

Glad you've got round to this. Enjoy the ride!

cajunator

Banned
Oh and she loves alcoholic beverages! She plays the tsundere role well, too.

But before I go deeper again into this, why not explain to me why she's a young, hot, fox-ears and tail wielding woman when she's actually some thousand years or so old god? Why? Just because that's what people would be into.

Why doesn't she seem particularly wise? She has some special powers/tricks but often times seems rather naive and, while not a damsel in distress necessarily, she does need plenty of saving.

Nothing of her attributes seem to have anything to do with being some extremely old god. That background of hers is merely a justification to attach fox ears and tail on her, which she btw. loves to get stroked.

But so, does she have any flaws so far?
No. Not really. Sure, when they want to creation tension in that regard her wolf form gets played up but that is rather an external problem of hers, not a real character flaw.

She's also totally into Lawrence because of course she would be. Don't mind who she actually is, that's just background noise! Isn't it just the best when she's drunken and gets especially flirtatious?

Whenever I wonder why she is the way she is, the clear answer is: well she'd pander to a hell lot of a people. I wouldn't even mind it as much if there was more to her, like proper character flaws or there's be an actually interesting perspective concerning her being a god.

As she is though, she's boring. So is Lawrence. Sure, their relationship works somewhat but then the characters were crafted just for that.

Whatever Holo is, shes a cutie and and an awesome character and I wouldnt have it any other way!
A wise mofu who stands up for herself and knows economics. Not seeing a problem here!

Cornbread78

Alright back to the Anime....

My Mental Choices Are Completely.... ep 4-10:
tumblr_mxtfha97XN1rrg395o1_500.gif

Alright this one was fun to watch throughout. They tag it with "romance" for some reason becuase it plays out like a comedy harem and I'm completely fine with that. They did a good job keepign this oen lighthearted and fun throughout and they $hit they mad this poor dude do, lol. At least the girls were all cute! It looks liek they probably planned for it to be a longer series, but had to rush together the ending, but oh well, it was a fun watch for 10 episodes at least.

cajunator

Banned
Alright back to the Anime....

My Mental Choices Are Completely.... ep 4-10:
tumblr_mxtfha97XN1rrg395o1_500.gif

Alright this one was fun to watch throughout. They tag it with "romance" for some reason becuase it plays out like a comedy harem and I'm completely fine with that. They did a good job keepign this oen lighthearted and fun throughout and they $hit they mad this poor dude do, lol. At least the girls were all cute! It looks liek they probably planned for it to be a longer series, but had to rush together the ending, but oh well, it was a fun watch for 10 episodes at least.

I like this show. Didnt at first, but the Chocolat showed up. She won my heart lol.
also that gif reminds me of OniAi

Whats wrong with that cover?

cajunator

Banned
Also Cornbread, when you watch a show look to see if it was published in Kadokawa because if it was, prepare for a ten episode series.

Shigurui Manga

Eh, was a decent read though I once again think the anime adaptation was certainly stronger, which the addition of good use of colorization, OST, voice acting and ability to properly portray motion tends to make happen.

Have to say the story that continues after the anime jumps the shark a couple times and overall just outstays its welcome a bit Still, there's some good character background and development, especially for Fujiki. The ending is really abrupt, which isn't necessarily a bad thing though I'm really not sure I'm getting Mie's characterization all that much.
All this demon and 'the girls behind the two men are actually the leading force' stuff is a bit confusing and I'm not sure what to think of it really. Does Mie kill herself because of some of these 'demon sword' shenanigans? Since Fujiki threw his away? Or was it because she did actually admire Irako despite what she was telling herself? Was she now scared of having an actual relationship and intercourse with Fujiki?

Gotta say with a few more episodes and various changes (especially cutting unnecessary content) the anime could've been an even better and, this time, complete adaptation.

Future Dairy 17

Leaving your son to die in a collapsing building and then killing your Ex-wife? Sounds like Kurou is father of the year material ladies and gentleman.

And It's a shame
7th is finished because aside from 12th, they were the ones I liked seeing the most. Especially after seeing their backstory.

Reknoc

I don't think there's anything in the Japanese version that's worse than the weird bondage dominatrix from the PS1 game.

Jarmel

Banned
Never played Shenmue despite owning a Dreamcast and Xbox back in the day. I'll wait for a HD remaster first.

Not to mention that trailer attached to the Kickstarter video was wholly unimpressive. That VA work was atrocious.

Mature

Never played Shenmue despite owning a Dreamcast and Xbox back in the day. I'll wait for a HD remaster first.

Not to mention that trailer attached to the Kickstarter video was wholly unimpressive. That VA work was atrocious.
I think that's par for the course.

i hope that was just temporary stand in VA, because yeah....

Saudades

yamato 2199 movie
I like that whole segment - it reminded me of Magnetic Rose.

Shigurui Manga
Does Mie kill herself because of some of these 'demon sword' shenanigans? Since Fujiki threw his away? Or was it because she did actually admire Irako despite what she was telling herself? Was she now scared of having an actual relationship and intercourse with Fujiki?

Gotta say with a few more episodes and various changes (especially cutting unnecessary content) the anime could've been an even better and, this time, complete adaptation.
It's been a while since I read it, but I remember that
Mie is glad Fujiki defeats Irako, but when they order Fujiki to decapitate Irako to show that he is a samurai and he complies, she thinks Fujiki was going to turn out just like her father, whom she despises. And being Fujiki's wife she thinks her fate would end up like that of her mother's - hanging herself in her prison, so that's why she kills herself.

And yeah Shigurui is one of the anime that I would like a season 2, just for completion's sake.

Himemiya

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 15-18

I feel like some of the stuff in these eps might have retroactively made the way parts of earlier eps played out better. The character flashbacks were nice too. Didn't expect the assassination, the show's going by pretty quick now and a lot of plot threads even aside from the political ones are being forwarded. It can still be pretty cheesy.

phaze

Shigurui Manga

Eh, was a decent read though I once again think the anime adaptation was certainly stronger, which the addition of good use of colorization, OST, voice acting and ability to properly portray motion tends to make happen.

Agreed, it's one of those adaptations that manages to enhance the source material.
Have to say the story that continues after the anime jumps the shark a couple times and overall just outstays its welcome a bit Still, there's some good character background and development, especially for Fujiki.[/SPOILER]
Again, agreed. The addition of, as it turned out, seprflous and unfinished subplots marred the pacing. I was also not fond of using the "tournament" formula twice. It made things feel needlessly repetetive

The ending is really abrupt, which isn't necessarily a bad thing though I'm really not sure I'm getting Mie's characterization all that much.
All this demon and 'the girls behind the two men are actually the leading force' stuff is a bit confusing and I'm not sure what to think of it really. Does Mie kill herself because of some of these 'demon sword' shenanigans? Since Fujiki threw his away? Or was it because she did actually admire Irako despite what she was telling herself? Was she now scared of having an actual relationship and intercourse with Fujiki?

Mie is a confusing character to me as well, for example her sudden desire to avenge the father she hated and her hatred for Irako. Still, at end she commits suicide because of what Fujiki did to Irako. Her hatred for "puppets" was clearly there from day one and Fujiki obeying that order (just like he obeyed her father when he ordered her raped.) just made her realise he didn't really change after his sickness. I'm not very fond of that ending as It's quite a huge and in my opinion bit silly leap. It prioritises this puppet theme over the more sane, logical thinking, Fujiki after all did this to save both their lives, it doesn't mean he's now a complete monster but take it as you will.

Iku was the only innocent character in this. :(

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember that
Mie is glad Fujiki defeats Irako, but when they order Fujiki to decapitate Irako to show that he is a samurai and he complies, she thinks Fujiki was going to turn out just like her father, whom she despises. And being Fujiki's wife she thinks her fate would end up like that of her mother's - hanging herself in her prison, so that's why she kills herself.

And yeah Shigurui is one of the anime that I would like a season 2, just for completion's sake.

Agreed, it's one of those adaptations that manages to enhance the source material.

Again, agreed. The addition of, as it turned out, seprflous and unfinished subplots marred the pacing. I was also not fond of using the "tournament" formula twice. It made things feel needlessly repetetive

edit:
Oh missed out on most of Nintendo's E3 stream...which then again also means I didn't actually miss out on anything, neat.

Mie is a confusing character to me as well, for example her sudden desire to avenge the father she hated and her hatred for Irako. Still, at end she commits suicide because of what Fujiki did to Irako. Her hatred for "puppets" was clearly there from day one and Fujiki obeying that order (just like he obeyed her father when he ordered her raped.) just made her realise he didn't really change after his sickness. I'm not very fond of that ending as It's quite a huge and in my opinion bit silly leap. It prioritises this puppet theme over the more sane, logical thinking, Fujiki after all did this to save both their lives, it doesn't mean he's now a complete monster but take it as you will.

Iku was the only innocent character in this. :(

Ah yeh, the whole puppet/forced marriage and coitus aspect was after all a major traumatizing event for Mie, though I probably forgot about it because it hardly got mentioned directly afterwards and it kinda contradicts her hatred for Irako, who after all was the one to behave a tad more human. And as you mention, it's been made clear Fujiki had to do it if the two wanted to leave unharmed so it's just a very questionable move.

cajunator

Banned
I was kinda hoping it would make sense eventually. But given the complete lack of any story telling ability demonstrated so far I guess that was asking too much.

Were you the one who suggested this to me originally? I need to know who to blame. :p

There is a grand adventure ahead! Journey through books in this entertaining and horribly written tale!

Cornbread78

I like this show. Didnt at first, but the Chocolat showed up. She won my heart lol.
also that gif reminds me of OniAi

LOL, there is an awesome gif online from the squirtgun/boobs scene that would have been a better posts, but I'm not up for pushing the envelope... the vision and double meaning in that scene was hilarious...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's a new StarFox?

*checks out gaming side*

....why does the new StarFox game look like its on the Gamecube? I can't even

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom