• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
If KyoAni is going that far, they should have just made it a romance.

I mean good lord.

It's a good adaptation of how much Takeda really wrote between the two in the first novel. Even the mangaka questioned how yuri-ish it was when they were planning their adaptation. I wouldn't put it all on KyoAni, in contrast to what the western fandom is doing.

I can't fucking believe it, it's insane!

It's definately the surprise of the show for me. FF7 Remake and Shenmue 3 are amazing in their own right, especially FF7R because of Square's constant outright refusal but the idea that a sequel to Nier would ever exist, or that Yoko Taro would ever make a new game after Cavia's demise was not even a thought in my mind, or anyone elses, really.

I always thought The Last Guardian would come out for the record, it was pretty sweet seeing it again though.

It's a good adaptation of how much Takeda really wrote between the two in the first novel. Even the mangaka questioned how yuri-ish it was when they were planning their adaptation. I wouldn't put it all on KyoAni, in contrast to what the western fandom is doing.

Unfortunately I have only recently started learning some Japanese but I'd really love to read some of these scenes from the books.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku Episode 11:

Okay, first off that custom ED get my vote for best of the season. Anyway, it is odd that for a different Euphonium and Mikagura are, they do end up paralleling each other quite a bit. At long last we are getting to the heart of what happened to Seisa and in all honestly it is pretty emotionally traumatic and events are causing the past to intermingle with the present and it threatens to destroy potentially the whole school.

Apologises but i might blurt some spoiler in these answer because i'm not exactly sure how much you've seen of the anime.

Oh and she loves alcoholic beverages! She plays the tsundere role well, too.

But before I go deeper again into this, why not explain to me why she's a young, hot, fox-ears and tail wielding woman when she's actually some thousand years or so old god? Why? Just because that's what people would be into.
So , she appears in front of a young male and ask her to travel to some god know place ( very far away ) and you expect that she would take an ugly form ? So can you imagine how much fail it would be if she asked in wolf form ? or as a old lady ? It would be a total failure of course. Holo knows humans and humans don't change over time.. most of them need an incentive to go on, she took the form that would maximise her sucess. Given the distance to travel , nobody would even agree to travel that far if she appeared older because even if you don't freak out at the fact that she is a wolf, you have to consider the expenses required. Who would take a trip for an older woman ?
And no she can't tranform into a male form in case you're wondering.

Why doesn't she seem particularly wise? She has some special powers/tricks but often times seems rather naive and, while not a damsel in distress necessarily, she does need plenty of saving.
She is wise, but she stayed to perform oracles for the initial village for centuries, and thus she isn't aware of the world outside a certain point. To put it simply , she lack knowledge and she makes up for it with her wisdom.
Exemple 1 : how she could tell that the money was being reforged
Exemple 2 : how she could sell those fur much higher than her initial value
Exemple 3 : how she did the above to show lawrence that she wouldn't be a burden during the journey.

Also at no point , does she need "saving", most of the show in the anime result in lawrence being in a tight spot, her only problem is that she doesn't wish for her wolf form to be know because it would complicate her journey and render null her chance of finding that village. In the first season she was seen tearing appart soldiers ( in the sewers ) or taking care of other wolves clans.

I won't even start when ( book stuff ) stuff like the church and the inquisitors get brought up.. that would be silly. but you get my point.
Nothing of her attributes seem to have anything to do with being some extremely old god. That background of hers is merely a justification to attach fox ears and tail on her, which she btw. loves to get stroked.
From the start , she tell you that she isn't a god. She fulfilled a promise to the humans there because she has a long life and while she has a long life she isn't omnipotent. the show never tries to sell it that way. again that is explained right after their meetting.
She isn't a god, she became a diety because she was providing hint and guidance to the villages over a long period and the reason she wants to go back home is because the humans aren't listening anymore. The fact that the place she wants to go back to is on earth only reinforce that idea.

But so, does she have any flaws so far?
No. Not really. Sure, when they want to creation tension in that regard her wolf form gets played up but that is rather an external problem of hers, not a real character flaw.

She's also totally into Lawrence because of course she would be. Don't mind who she actually is, that's just background noise! Isn't it just the best when she's drunken and gets especially flirtatious?
Flaws ? of course. there is a fact that she can't gather information by herself, that she doesn't know most of the knowledge necessary for this journey. she has also several restrictions on how often she can use her wolf form or else , trouble come after them.

In taverns, she uses her charm in order to get information that lawrence can't get by himself and in town , she usualy is the one who find an ally go get lawrence out of trouble should the need arise.

In fact she is a quite balanced character considering that the show is told from lawrence POV, she has strenght and restrictions.
Whenever I wonder why she is the way she is, the clear answer is: well she'd pander to a hell lot of a people. I wouldn't even mind it as much if there was more to her, like proper character flaws or there's be an actually interesting perspective concerning her being a god.

As she is though, she's boring. So is Lawrence. Sure, their relationship works somewhat but then the characters were crafted just for that.

I really wonder how many episodes you've watched to reach this conclusion.all you points come from misunderstandings.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Human beings are complex creatures. The concepts of love, intimacy, and romance are often connected, but still stand as separate emotional pieces. The introduction of some of these elements does not in turn necessitate the others following. That a level of complexity is being misconstrued as "bait" or pandering is rather disheartening. Euph has done an excellent job of communicating two characters growing close to one another. If this kind of webbed connection seems incomprehensible with the motivation it provides to characters there are straightforward KyoAni shows to pursue. Maybe try something like Chuu2.

Narag

Researchers from Nielsen Media told Anime Maru, “We’ve been doing online polls for the past year or so, and we’ve discovered that virtually all of the anime considered to be the best of all time have been created within the past two years. These anime include such shows as Your Lie in April, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, and Parasyte. No matter how many times we do the polls, it always seems that the last two years have been the most fruitful period in anime history.”

http://www.animemaru.com/online-polls-find-best-anime-ever-all-created-in-the-last-two-years/

i get shivers when kumiko says reina

#partoftheproblem

All of season 1. Not enjoying it particularly much I didn't give S2 a go.

Flaws ? of course. there is a fact that she can't gather information by herself, that she doesn't know most of the knowledge necessary for this journey. she has also several restrictions on how often she can use her wolf form or else , trouble come after them.

In taverns, she uses her charm in order to get information that lawrence can't get by himself and in town , she usualy is the one who find an ally go get lawrence out of trouble should the need arise.

Those aren't the kind of character flaws I'm talking about. I mean flaws in the personality of a character that hurt himself and/or others (in the long run). For instance s.th. is manipulative and pushes his friends to do stuff they rather shouldn't. Looking at say Welcome to the NHK, we got Satou as a good example for a flawed character. He continues to screw up because he can't bring himself to trust other people, keep working on something, is a pathological liar to most, gets himself and others in crappy situations constantly and son and so forth. These kind of character flaws usually make for inherently more interesting characters as it's interesting to see the problems that arise thanks to them and´whether the character can overcome (some of) them. These flaws don't have to be as many and pronounced ones as in the case so Satou of course. Even in s.th. like Hyouka it's interesting to follow how Oreki's view on his 'energy efficient' lifestyle changes along the way and how it affects others, like Satoshi for instance.

The things you mention have little to do with Holo's personality but are rather external restrictions which I wouldn't mind if they existed in addition. But does she and Lawrence have any flaws to overcome? Not...really? When there's drama it's usually due to external sources and not really to blame on any of the two. They might get angry or so, but usually because they were put in a crappy situation, not because someone genuinely fucked up.

As towards the rest, I just don't see most of it the same way so we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Semantics like whether Holo's a god or deity also don't mean much.

For what it's worth, I don't think the show or its characters are terrible, they're just lacking any interesting facets to me. Especially when the economical aspects aren't particularly interesting, nor are they apparently all too correct.

Crocodile

So guys I guess if you want Anime.....

There's Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.😌

Is the thread for the new trailer readable or is it just "animewasamistake.gif" repeated infinity times?

First time I actually hyped up Nintendo's conference and it was terrible. Never again will I do so.

On the bright side, Kingdom Hearts 3 looks fantabulous and I can't wait to see more.

Last year Nintendo knocked it out of the park. This year there were in the odd position of moving internally to NX (hence not a lot of 2016/2017/2018 WiiU games to show) and the shadow of SHENMUE3/FFVIIR (and I guess TLG for people who care about that :p)

Green drill hair + Witch hat + DAT ASS = Winning combination

Thank you SE

This design is so stupid it kind of loops around to being awesome. My worry is that a lot of the Star Ocean characters will be insufferable or so cliche/trope ridden as to be unenjoyable by anyone older than 14.I hope I'm wrong.

This design is so stupid it kind of loops around to being awesome. My worry is that a lot of the Star Ocean characters will be insufferable or so cliche/trope ridden as to be unenjoyable by anyone older than 14.I hope I'm wrong.

We now know 6 characters so far and i'm not worried at all now. They have a nice goal and balance for them.. it's not going to get crazier than this.

All of season 1. Not enjoying it particularly much I didn't give S2 a go.

Those aren't the kind of character flaws I'm talking about. I mean flaws in the personality of a character that hurt himself and/or others (in the long run). For instance s.th. is manipulative and pushes his friends to do stuff they rather shouldn't. Looking at say Welcome to the NHK, we got Satou as a good example for a flawed character. He continues to screw up because he can't bring himself to trust other people, keep working on something, is a pathological liar to most, gets himself and others in crappy situations constantly and son and so forth. These kind of character flaws usually make for inherently more interesting characters as it's interesting to see the problems that arise thanks to them and´whether the character can overcome (some of) them. These flaws don't have to be as many and pronounced ones as in the case so Satou of course. Even in s.th. like Hyouka it's interesting to follow how Oreki's view on his 'energy efficient' lifestyle changes along the way and how it affects others, like Satoshi for instance.

The things you mention have little to do with Holo's personality but are rather external restrictions which I wouldn't mind if they existed in addition. But does she and Lawrence have any flaws to overcome? Not...really? When there's drama it's usually due to external sources and not really to blame on any of the two. They might get angry or so, but usually because they were put in a crappy situation, not because someone genuinely fucked up.

As towards the rest, I just don't see most of it the same way so we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Semantics like whether Holo's a god or deity also don't mean much.

For what it's worth, I don't think the show or its characters are terrible, they're just lacking any interesting facets to me. Especially when the economical aspects aren't particularly interesting, nor are they apparently all too correct.

This isn't what this show is about .. you're looking for something that isn't the goal of this story . The thing you're looking for aren't found with holo but with the people they met.
I don't see why this show should bother with "drama" ..what for ? forced drama is stupid and season 2 will show you since you'll have plenty of those in there. IMo , it's clearly the weakest point but to you you'll probably love it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

My guess is that if you polled people who talk about anime incessantly on message boards, they would consistently find that the polls show that the last two years of anime are the worst ever created and that everyone lusts for 10 years ago, regardless of when the pol is actually taken.

edit: unknowing sarcastic posting in response to sarcastic posting. Fuck the internet.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku 11
Well that was a random new ending, did like.
qi1La65.png

Crocodile

We now know 6 characters so far and i'm not worried at all now. They have a nice goal and balance for them.. it's not going to get crazier than this.

I wasn't talking about character design, I was talking about personality. Star Ocean IV was pretty bad in that regard.

John Blade

In this episode, they introduce 3 new characters in the team. 1st is Hikaru and my early impression of someone who is cheerful and always make funny face in odd situation (you can see in two of the screenshot). 2nd is Yuki who have a spaced out attitude and don't talk in the entire episode (muted personality?). Lastly, is Seira who have the most impression as half of the episode is basically develop her.

The main idea of her life is she was a track and field star who can become famous but didn't because of her family divorce. I am guessing, seeing her family life around her fall apart stop her to reach her potential. Keiko want her to be in the team as she see potential in her so, ask the coach to try to get her in the team. Basically, half of the show is seeing the coach trying to get her to come in the team and manage to do it successfully after an incident which put her in a tight spot (you can see from the 2nd last image). Actually, kinda cheat her to join the team which she agree to....kinda.

Overall, a simple episode which bring in new characters in the show you will be following. I am guessing they will become important somewhat as they're now in the baseball team and you will see them a bit. For Seira, the development is simple and fine as you get a good idea of her life and what happened to her during the time when she left doing track and field game. Still, not done yet as they're missing 5 more people so, more characters is coming in the next few episodes.

This isn't what this show is about .. you're looking for something that isn't the goal of this story . The thing you're looking for aren't found with holo but with the people they met.
I don't see why this show should bother with "drama" ..what for ? forced drama is stupid and season 2 will show you since you'll have plenty of those in there. IMo , it's clearly the weakest point but to you you'll probably love it.

How am I looking for forced drama?!? If anything the drama is forced onto this couple in Spice & Wolf constantly because something mostly out of their control goes to shit.

I just want well done characterization so I can actually care for Holo and Lawrence when they make up most of the show. If the plot were excellent and extremely tight then I maybe wouldn't need this, like say Shin Sekai Yori, but that is not the case in S&W. Better characterization is always a bonus for me and I wouldn't call Holo and Lawrence well written ones and their relationship became very predictable and boring to follow for me. I certainly didn't think to myself "she's eating a lot of apples again, ain't that funny and cute"?

Either way it's clear we aren't really on the same page with this show and could probably go on forever. In general I'll simply say I don't think it does several aspects as well as you think and we'll have to agree on disagreeing.

John Blade

374885bceb73a23cadaa538d918c29df1246189090_full.jpg

I guess they're people who don't like Spice and Wolf show and that's fine like I don't like Attack of Titans or High school of the Dead. Well, something came in the mailbox and now it's now in my Anime DVD collection and going to watch it later on.

1633394c-cb7d-4d6b-8616-519315f81e36_zpsl881k3f9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom