• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoJo Stardust Crusaders 11

Man does it feel so good when a piece of shit dies for his crimes, so good.😎 That little kid though got on my nerves as well as those group of people who almost cost Karykoin's and Polnareff's life's. Also what the heck is that disgusting looking pimple for.

You are gonna LOVE next episode.

jman2050

all ribbon did in the end was shame her Senpai multiple times in front of the whole band :^)

Just as I said would happen.

It was such an utter and thorough destruction you have to feel bad for Kaori since none of this was really her fault. Not Ribbons though, she made her bed and laid in it.

It has Gintoki/Joseph Joestar as the Chrom-like FE Persona guy. I'm in. Wonder if Nintendo is going to forego English dubs on this and Xenoblade Chronicles (since Chronicles is out in 6 months and we still haven't heard dub voices yet, the trailer today didn't even have ANY VA lol) to save money on releasing them here.

I hope they keep the japanese dubs in with subtitles for this game. Only way to experience it. I dont even know if they will go through the trouble to translate the songs as well.

I am a cat penguin of integrity. I stand by goth loli imouto.

Ok sir. I will try my best to not kill her in the Hoshido playthrough.

It has Gintoki/Joseph Joestar as the Chrom-like FE Persona guy. I'm in. Wonder if Nintendo is going to forego English dubs on this and Xenoblade Chronicles (since Chronicles is out in 6 months and we still haven't heard dub voices yet, the trailer today didn't even have ANY VA lol) to save money on releasing them here.

I'm pretty sure both SMT X FE and Xenoblade X will get a dub and it will be shown at some point. After all, when was the last time Nintendo released a game that had extensive voice acting in the west with Japanese voices and English subtitles only?

Also people are missing one advantage Hoshido has over Nohr;

latest

Dem muscles. Dem abs.

I still haven't decided who I'll be siding with on the first run.

That's my S support right there, back off fellas

Nintendo isn't Crunchyroll, hopefully. :p

Find it funny how the MC is voiced by Kise (Kuroko) and the red head character is voiced by Kagami from the same series too. :p

HAHA no way! Maybe Kagami will be one of his personas. Meteor Jam some dudes

I'm pretty sure both SMT X FE and Xenoblade X will get a dub and it will be shown at some point. After all, when was the last time Nintendo released a game that had extensive voice acting in the west with Japanese voices and English subtitles only?

Also people are missing one advantage Hoshido has over Nohr;

Dem muscles. Dem abs.

I still haven't decided who I'll be siding with on the first run.

Her design is A+ but I must take the Nohr path first

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium - 05

Previous impressions/observations:
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04

kyogodsygpd6.png

- I have never seen a machine like that for testing lung capacity. Most of the ones i've used are a little machine with a ball and threshold, where it shows you your measurement in liters on the side with little notches. It's also like 75% smaller than the one here lol. Most instrumentalists will have lung capacities on par with pro athletes just because they exercise their lungs so much. At my last measurement, I could hold almost 9 liters of air in my lungs!

- Lung capacity is most important for Tuba players because of the size of the instrument, but it's also very important for flute players, since they don't have a medium between breath and sound like woodwinds with their reeds or brass players with their mouthpieces.

- Poor Kumiko and her breasts lol. You're fine just the way you are!

- Oh nice, new uniforms! Most schools tend to keep a set they use for multiple years and only switch them every half-decade or so, depending on funding. It's also cool to see them show other band uniforms too, and they all appear to be doing indoor marching!

- It's funny in that one cut to see marching oboes. That does not happen because they'd have to spend $100s and countless man-hours making a shitload of reeds because they're so delicate!

- That being said, in the west you don't usually see different uniforms for males and females. Everyone is the same, and for competitions it's important because it shows formations better.

- These girls are cute in their uniforms.

- It's nice to see the trumpets are using trumpet stands while they're outside.

- This marching section is so rad! I love how they're doing everything correctly with regards to posture and march practice. It's kinda funny to see them talk about being so precise with step distance when in a parade anything can happen and you'll have to adjust your steps all the time. There's also proper footwork here too, rolling from the heel to the toes in a smooth motion.

- Well, later on I see it's more a 1-by-1 exhibition. This makes the steps stuff totally more relevant now!

- It's common to see people who don't play a marching instrument be delegated to color guard. They usually use flags, sabers, poms, and rifles when marching, while a leader or designated person will use the maces. Sometimes groups (mostly college groups) will use a baton twirler too! Even the flag work here is spot on and the girl's movements are all correct.

eupho1o2oks.png

- It's also really awesome to see them go into drum major stuff! Asuka is a great person for that job.

- Watching them pay attention to the posture in the animation is nice.

- Taki-sensei fuck yeah.

- Watching Kumiko just blab is hilarious.

- Yo this cut! That smile!

- Yay, a sousaphone is in that case! Also yes, they do load them up by truck!

- I like this part with all of them checking in and doing the attendance. I used to be in charge of this stuff back in high-school because I was both a section leader and the president!

- I wonder if by music stands they mean the hook-on ones that are typically used with marching?

- Wow, they even included a clip-on tuner on this trumpet drawing. Holy shit.

- This is nice to hear them do all the gossip about the other ensembles. It really happens this way! I love how she's got a friend in the other ensemble too, and she mentions she went there for their program.

- Kumiko ;_;

eoooa2fuo0i.png

- Woooooo banner carriers! The unsung heroes of parades.

- Holy shit this Rikka school animation with both band and guard, even in the distance it looks so cool watching it all in sync.

- Kousaka is kind of a jerk here lol. But she knows it hahaha. It totally brought their morale back.

- Taki-sensei my hero.

- It's nice to see marching cymbals. They have a hard-ass job to do when they are accompaniment to the snares/quads because they have to march backwards.

- This one trumpet girl in the cut here has such bad posture lol.

- Dude, the fingering animations here are orgasmic. Look at this shit my god. It's all spot-on by pitch and by part. God damn.

- Ahhhh yeaaaaahhh marching xylophone and glockenspiel!

- Just a single marching bass drum.

- They even drew the marching snare harness correctly!

- One thing I find kind of odd is the way they chose to do their formation. Usually you'll do 4-5 across to make forming lines easier for players. It's weird seeing 1 straggler between sections with one in the french horns and one in the trumpets! They usually need someone to be able to see in their peripheral vision to maintain formation better!

- This song is pretty cool!

yeaahhhr6o5o.png

This was a pretty fun episode! All the pressure and emotion of being at one of these things was captured perfectly. Made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gunbuster 1
its about time I get started on this, first off the bat, cant take having the robot's "workout" seriously, I guess the point was to test how well they could move the mechs at all times but still. I love how 80's it is, it even has a montage!

Anko

Phew. Finally got back from my amazing Kajiura dedicated trip to Japan. YK#12 was heavenly. Heigen was heavenly. Contractor was heavenly. Moonflower was (repeat ad infinitum.

And now, to catch up on the shows...

Euriphonium 10&11
Loved the two episodes. Loads of club drama to be had. Episode 10 and 11 sky rocketed Natsuki to best character imo. I'm glad she is still trying hard together with Hazuki. That she noticed Kumiko being bothered by the auditions and that she would go out of her way to reassure her was nice. She's a good senpai. Though that smile and the way she teased Kumiko was golden. And it seems that both Hazuki and Sapphire have gotten used to Kumiko's loose lips.

I am still trying to figure out Asuka. She really doesn't care who plays the solo, does she?
All she cares about is improving on her own part. I was kind of surprised when she refused to visit Kaori before the audition. She's totally such a robot. lol

I don't really dislike Yuko. I understand where she is coming from. I also know that it is unfair of her to have Reina give up for those reasons. Kaori raised her hand without hesitation for a re-audition, and I doubt she regretted doing so. She tried and although it still wasn't enough, she can move on knowing that she gave her all and that she lost in a fair fight. Yuko gave her the opportunity to do so, however unpleasant the means may have been.

Now on to the relationships.
We have Kaori's admiration for Asuka and Yuko's admiration for Kaori. Then we have the delicious scenes between Yuko and Natsuki, and of course the main pair of Kumiko and Reina.

I kind of like the relationship between Yuko and Natsuki. Yuko has always been very tsun towards Natsuki but we occasionally see the two getting along, like at the festival.

As for Kumiko and Reina. The two are getting closer, but wth. Reina's a lot more touchy feely than necessary. That hug in 10 came out of nowhere (might I point out the weakness in Reina's voice when she said "hontou ni?" for that scene?
delicious
). And of course, that scene in 11. That's... totally not how friends talk or interact. lol.

Just what are you trying to do, KyoAni?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gunbuster 2
Im noticing something in this and the last episode, im thinking starwars might have been a inspiration. just a hunch.
Also some space lightspeed shenanigans, apparently if your traveling at almost lightspeed then every min is like 3 months in earth time or something, idk if that's even true or not but I dont want to think of how the human body would even work like that.

Theonik

Gunbuster 2
Im noticing something in this and the last episode, im thinking starwars might have been a inspiration. just a hunch.
Also some space lightspeed shenanigans, apparently if your traveling at almost lightspeed then every min is like 3 months in earth time or something, idk if that's even true or not but I dont want to think of how the human body would even work like that.
Your experience of time changes as you move closer to the speed of light so basically what feels like a minute is actually much longer to someone looking from the outside.

That's relativity.

Reknoc

Gunbuster 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Planet of the Apes used it as well.

Quasar

Euphonium 11 - *sigh* the yuri is back.

So book readers, I have questions. In the books, is the Reina/Kumiko relationship as to the fore as it is here? Also just how much of the books does the anime cover? This really does feel like the first act of a bigger story.

With the guys pushed to the background and all I can't help but think this is kyoani adding its own spice to the novel storyline.

Enjoyable episode though. Kind of amused how the vote played out.

All those people unwilling to publicly state who they preferred. And showed Taki knew what he was doing in the first place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

So book readers, I have questions. In the books, is the Reina/Kumiko relationship as to the fore as it is here? Also just how much of the books does the anime cover? This really does feel like the first act of a bigger story.

With the guys pushed to the background and all I can't help but think this is kyoani adding its own spice to the novel storyline.

All those people unwilling to publicly state who they preferred. And showed Taki knew what he was doing in the first place.

Honestly, given all the impressions I keep reading, with popularity contests and Class-S relationships between girls, I'm wondering if these books aren't just a parody/homage of 70s shoujo.

As one of the few people (I know of two others) who've read the books, this is a good adaptation of how close Takeda wrote Kumiko and Reina in the first novel. It's highly yuri-charged and Ishihara/Hanada have kept that aspect for the anime. This 14 episode work was planned to cover the first novel in its entirety with anime-original bits to extend the plot (for example, while there was conflict over the solo part, Reina just performed in the classroom to prove her worth instead of holding a new audition). The next two novels highlight the closeness between Reina/Kumiko as well, but given the focus on other members' plots, it's not as focused as novel 1 was.

Quasar

As one of the few people (I know of two others) who've read the books, this is a good adaptation of how close Takeda wrote Kumiko and Reina in the first novel. It's highly yuri-charged and Ishihara/Hanada have kept that aspect for the anime. This 14 episode work was planned to cover the first novel in its entirety with anime-original bits to extend the plot (for example, while there was conflict over the solo part, Reina just performed in the classroom to prove her worth instead of holding a new audition). The next two novels highlight the closeness between Reina/Kumiko as well, but given the focus on other members' plots, it's not as focused as novel 1 was.

Fair enough. So are the guys in the books as absent as they are here?

Do new books still come out or has the series concluded already?

Fair enough. So are the guys in the books as absent as they are here?

Taki gets a lot of focus and Shuichi has a fair amount of scenes (I wouldn't say he has a lot of focus as he serves more as a semi-sounding board for Kumiko to talk about what she's feeling). Honestly, Hanada's done more for showing Shuichi as more than a cardboard cutout saying "I like you Kumiko" than Takeda did in the novels. Gatou is pretty much the same as in the anime, lines here/there.

There's another male instructor introduced in novel 2/3, but I don't recall any other guys pointed out. It's incredibly girl-heavy.

Do new books still come out or has the series concluded already?
The end of the third novel really felt like the end of the series. I don't want to say what it was for fear of spoiling something else to be animated, but it felt very "concluding" without saying "The End." There was another volume of shorts, but that's it. No further volumes have been solicited at this time.

What irks me is that people are so willing to attach "yuribaiting" to "KyoAni" when it's really the source material that did that. Takeda included all the close moments after having Reina admit she went to the school due to her crush on Taki. I personally wouldn't be as upset if people would even consider that possibility instead of rushing to judge "KyoAni" for adapting the work Takeda wrote. They're shooting the messenger.

cajunator

Banned
Mikagura 11
#TeamErunaxOtone. Learn a bit about Seisa's past, and the nature of her power.
We dunno why her power is deteriorating though.

Yami Hat 3

Just in case a girl appeared out of a book I dropped and I instantly fell in love with her!

Err what?

What a dick.

Dafuq?

So, we learn how transportation between worlds works. We also learn that some Yamiyama guy made the world and witch girls hat. He might be a writer, I guess? Apparently Eve, who is also Hatsumi, was the original owner of the hat and also put witch girl in charge of the library. The hat doesn't appear to have any significance so far, but it's in the title and they keep talking about it, so... There is also a little witch girl who doesn't appear to have any significance so far. We then meet some Jill girl who is presumably also Hatsumi, and Gar who is an asshole kid who presumably is Mr Fabulous, though I don't remember if he was named in the previous episode. Presumably there is some business going on here with the power of words cause Eve can't speak when she's in the worlds and cause of the books and stuff. Also, there's some girl that lost her memories. I don't know what if any significance she has at this point though.

please do continue!

how can u even call that yuri subtext

theres nothing subtle about it

More like yuri manuscript.
about as subtle as a punch in the face.

Yes, and finally released on BD!

Season one was great. Does s2 live up to it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What irks me is that people are so willing to attach "yuribaiting" to "KyoAni" when it's really the source material that did that. Takeda included all the close moments after having Reina admit she went to the school due to her crush on Taki. I personally wouldn't be as upset if people would even consider that possibility instead of rushing to judge "KyoAni" for adapting the work Takeda wrote. They're shooting the messenger.
Does the author have a tradition of writing Class-S works or have they spoke about influences or anything?

Does the author have a tradition of writing Class-S works or have they spoke about influences or anything?

Takeda's lucky in a sense. Euphonium's first novel was only her second novel published (her first being the Japan Love Story award-winning "We Breathed Together Today" novel published in June 2013). She was inspired to become an author after reading Risa Wataya's "I Want to Kick You in the Back" (translated into English this year; Japan Times article about Wataya in English), so that would definitely be her influence. It definitely seems like she's a shojo manga type person rather than a shounen manga type person.

Edit: I don't want to sound as though Takeda only won the award because she was "lucky". Euphonium's novels are incredibly well-written and definitely deserve the acclaim they've gotten. Her writing style is simple, yet dense. They're easy to read with a small amount of Japanese knowledge, yet packed with details. I truly enjoyed reading them, probably even moreso than when I read the Haruhi novels.

I wasn't talking about character design, I was talking about personality. Star Ocean IV was pretty bad in that regard.
Oh i see..hard to tell right now indeed.
But i have hope, since i think they clearly realised they went too far in that aspect. My hope is for something closer to 3 or first departure.

How am I looking for forced drama?!? If anything the drama is forced onto this couple in Spice & Wolf constantly because something mostly out of their control goes to shit.

I just want well done characterization so I can actually care for Holo and Lawrence when they make up most of the show. If the plot were excellent and extremely tight then I maybe wouldn't need this, like say Shin Sekai Yori, but that is not the case in S&W. Better characterization is always a bonus for me and I wouldn't call Holo and Lawrence well written ones and their relationship became very predictable and boring to follow for me. I certainly didn't think to myself "she's eating a lot of apples again, ain't that funny and cute"?

Either way it's clear we aren't really on the same page with this show and could probably go on forever. In general I'll simply say I don't think it does several aspects as well as you think and we'll have to agree on disagreeing.
Well yeah ..let's agree of disagreeing.
The SSY bit doesn't make sense , since they aren't using the same format while telling their story, they are like in total opposition. As i said , there is nothing wrong with S&W , except your expectations of the show, maybe.
I certainly didn't think to myself "she's eating a lot of apples again, ain't that funny and cute"?
And nobody does. You were accusing the show of pandering ..pandering to what ? to whom ? The apple lovers ? the fact that she appeared nude the 2 times the plot required it ?The fact that the male lead character and the female lead character are teasing each other during the journey in order to know each other. OMG she loves apples ..what a sin.

Let me be clear , you don't like it. OK That's understandable. Pandering ? i don't see it. There is so many things the show doesn't do in order to not be accused of pandering , yet spice and wolf is guilty of this ? Yeah no.

Dragon Crisis ep. 1-3:

This is an interesting one for sure. They throw a ton of story condensed into three episodes. I say that because they could have made an entire season from everything that happened in the first three. This should be a fun follow. And yeah, Rose is kinda cute. That first gif just makes me laugh because that's real early.
Yeah dragon crisis burn a lot of story during his anime. Very unusual.
Thing happen often and there isn't really a downtime in this show.

Triage X 10

Well that ended abruptly. Did they run out of manga material or something?

Well could have least have done an anime original ending ...

Well yeah ..let's agree of disagreeing.
The SSY bit doesn't make sense , since they aren't using the same format while telling their story, they are like in total opposition. As i said , there is nothing wrong with S&W , except your expectations of the show, maybe.

And nobody does. You were accusing the show of pandering ..pandering to what ? to whom ? The apple lovers ? the fact that she appeared nude the 2 times the plot required it ?The fact that the male lead character and the female lead character are teasing each other during the journey in order to know each other. OMG she loves apples ..what a sin.

Let me be clear , you don't like it. OK That's understandable. Pandering ? i don't see it. There is so many things the show doesn't do in order to not be accused of pandering , yet spice and wolf is guilty of this ? Yeah no.

Yes it's guilty of pandering and yes, you're right, I went in with the wrong expectations, namely expecting something worthwhile.

phaze

Elfen Lied 8-10

I will laugh if Mirai Nikki uses the same trope as this show and Deadman Wonderland.
When being childhood friendsgoes wrong, very wrong.
Maybe I should be happy the creators deem it worhwhile to give some kind of justification for the
Yandereness at the display.

I "love" how loss of limbs and their replacement with artificial ones became a recurring comic relief gag...

Defuser

Hibike!! Euphonium ep 11

Oh gawd, the faux Yuri is killing me. KyoAni is gonna make a killing in sales.

Get rekt ribbon girl, despite your good intentions for the sake of Kaori it's still hypocrisy and pathetically low for what you're trying to do. In the end she just wasted the whole band and Taki sensei time and money. Kaori is smart and wise in her decisions.

I never get this senority thing in schools are they really that big of a deal or hold some power to degree?

JoJo Stardust Crusaders 12

Joseph Joestar still hasn't lost his touch, man is that great. Joseph is the best JoJo so far I mean I love how he utilizes his trickery and intelligence to outsmart his opponents. His strategic plans are always fun to see. Plus he finally did his famous line where he predicts what his opponents say. Oh lawd was that amazing.

This Episode was too funny. I mean a talking pimple literally started punching him on top of his arm. I feel bad for Polnareff because the girl ended up being something he never imagined. Also Joseph throwing that key on Polnareff's hair lol.😆

Kikirin

I never get this senority thing in schools are they really that big of a deal or hold some power to degree?

I feel like it's an Asian culture thing in general, though I've not experienced much of it strongly as a relatively Americanized person.

It's less about actual power and more about respect for those that have come before you, i.e. those who are older than you. Arguably, the world that you're living in is a result of their work and actions, and in some cases, you yourself have been shaped by their guidance and care. The senpais have the responsibility to look after, take care of, and guide the younger generation, and in return, the kouhai are expected to be respectful of and obedient to their seniors, handling the menial work to ease the senpais' burden some.

This sort of thinking is reflected in some of the customs, like the eldest being the one to foot the bill when out with a group, the underclassmen handling the band room setup and teardown in Euphonium, etc.

Sound! Euphonium - 05
- Dude, the fingering animations here are orgasmic. Look at this shit my god. It's all spot-on by pitch and by part. God damn.
image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom