• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Jotaro's long journey across the world ends with a final battle with DIO. The classic roller scene and fake out death were done well and amplified the tension. I'm left disappointed with how quickly the battle is resolved and with little flair. This is the climax battle I would've expected a cooler way to finish of the battle so that left me unsatisfied. The entire journey was riddled with problems but were resolved with solid characters and the crazy situations that involved them all. This was a good ride that I'm glad to have witnessed. Until next time jojo.
005320ozs4i.png

FULL SPOILERS FOR JOJO PARTS 1-3 AHEAD

I’ve been thinking about doing this post for a while now, and now that Stardust Crusaders has finally concluded, here it is. Forgive me if this is a bit messy, I had this mostly done before episodes 47/48 when things were added to the OP. I want to talk about the second opening, Sono Chi no Kioku ~end of THE WORLD~. Now personally I think all four OP are great, song wise and visual wise. If I had to rank them –

Song – Bloody Stream (2)-> Sono Chi no Sadame(1) -> Sono Chi no Kioku(4) -> Stand Proud(3)
Visual – Sono chi no Kioku -> Bloody Stream -> Sono Chi no Sadame -> Stand Proud
So I pretty definitively think Stand Proud is the weakest. But let’s focus on Sono Chi no Kioku. This OP is fucking amazing when it comes to visuals. I don’t think a lot of people liked Kioku when it came out, because of the lack of a real hype moment (like SO NO CHI NO SADAME, JOOOOOOOOOJO or YA~ MI~ WO~) and the fact it keeps building up to something then resetting it, and the ORA ORA ORA at the end are kind of limp. Sadame and Bloody Stream might as well be classics by now and are extremely good in their own right, but Kioku does something amazing and that is slipping in constant foreshadowing and spoilers right under the nose, sometimes in extremely subtle ways. Sadame gives away the whole plot of Phantom Blood, having the OP filled with iconic moments like Dio kissing Erina, Dio being shot by the cops and living, Jonathan’s father dying, Dio walking up the burning mansion, etc. Bloody Stream is worse on that front, as it spoils Caesar’s death extremely obviously. Now it’s not like they were incapable of being subtle, Bloody Stream sneaks in Hermit Purple, even. And even in the obvious Caesar’s death part, the last bubble that flys by the screen is red, Caesar’s blood bubble he used to deliver the antidote to Joseph.

Stand Proud also did it having Iggy as the “sixth” star at the beginning way before he shows up, briefly showing Hol Horse, showing the group camping after the plane crash (you can see the plane on the right) and hiding things like the Joestar mark on Jonathan’s body at 0:50.

Right after that, the background shows the order of the fights – plane for Tower of Grey, a boat for Dark Blue Moon and Strength, the cable car for Temperance and so on, which is cool. But I mostly want to go over all the little things in Sono Chi no Kioku an anime viewer or even a manga reader wouldn’t have picked up on, and there are A LOT so get ready for images!

First off, the obvious motif of the clock and pendulum. The theme of time is all throughout this opening, foreshadowing the big reveal of The World's abilities and that the group is running out of time to save Holly. The pendulum is also supposed to represent The World itself, as in the final episode's OP it turns into The World.

You can also hear a heartbeat – that’s Jotaro’s. It’s a reference to the scene where Jotaro has to use his Stand to stop his heart to trick DIO into thinking he died. It could also be Joseph’s at the epilogue when Jotaro restarts his heart doing the same trick.

It cuts across the desert, filled with gears - more things pointing toward time. It flies past the crew, ending on Polnareff's Silver Chariot using two swords - a reference to the Anubis fight, the same pose as well.

Next we cut to the group on the stairs, with silhouettes of the Egyptian Gods flying past, the theme of the enemy Stands in the second half. I checked, and they are in order and accurate. It ends with a shot moving downward, everyone frozen in time, ending on Jotaro, who looks up and summons his stand, foreshadowing his ability to fight against The World's time stop. Polnareff is also at the top of the stairs, a reference to him discovering DIO on the stairs. It's also split into the two groups, Polnareff, Iggy and Avdol then Kakyoin, Joseph and Jotaro. It also appears homage to the OVA (this scene never happened in the manga, obviously as two of these people were dead at the time) where they are all climbing the stairs. Credit to Jexhius for helping me remember this scene from the OVA.

In the final episode's OP, the World's fists are what make cracks on the screen you could see before.

After the stairs, it cuts to the group on the roof, you can see the sun setting in the background, and various lights popping up. You can also see the Pyramids in the background and the clock tower Kakyoin uses to show Joseph what The World does, and I think that is DIO's mansion they are looking at. The best explanation I have for the lights is the scene when DIO is on top of the radio tower, pulling down an electric cord and causing a light to flicker. Polnareff is also the only one who moves his body, I dunno why though.

A pendulum swings by and we see Avdol reaching his hand out to Iggy and Polnareff, as if trying to stop them. He is actually pushing them away from Cream, Cream swoops in, splitting the screen, turning Avdol's half red, signifying his death.

In the same scene, right after, the floor shifts to stairs, and you can see Polnareff move down it, a reference to his encounter with DIO when he moved Polnareff down the stairs. Credit to EmCeeGramr because I actually didn't notice this.

RNYnJI1.gif

And added in the final episode's OP...

Look who you can see at the top of the stairs.

It shifts to Kakyoin, surrounded by string. This is the trap he laid for DIO using Hierophant Green. A pendulum swings by and it breaks, when DIO shattered his net and then killed him.

And in the final episode's OP...

The World cuts in to shatter it.

Cut to Joseph, hand outstretched, and the point going for his neck, the knife DIO used to "kill" him.

And in the final episode's OP...

The knife is replaced by The World's arm going into Joseph's chest, pumping slightly to show he is absorbing his blood.

Cut to Jotaro, stopped in midair, and dozens of the points come at him, the knives DIO throws at him.

Here is a real subtle one - if you look really hard, you can see Jotaro's finger wiggle, which is what stopped DIO from killing him out of shock he could possibly move when time was stopped.

DZcRaJX.gif

And in the final episode's OP, that comes to fruition as Jotaro summons his Stand while time is stopped.

After that, a star shoots across the sky, splitting into the group. I'm not sure on this one but the only thing I think this could be referencing is when they jump out of DIO's tower and fly down, but I'm probably stretching it.

Cut to Jotaro at the top of the stairs, using Star Platinum to shatter some glass. In the reflection, if you look very closely you can see who is hidden there for just a frame...

l5Lre1x.gif

Which allowed us to have this amazing scene -

Episode 47 special OP

…Where DIO stops time for exactly nine seconds. Fucking DP, man.

Lastly, the final scene where Jotaro shatters the glass and DIO appears behind him, over his shoulder in time stop. In the actual series, it is the opposite, Jotaro appears behind DIO's shoulder in time stop.

...and finally ending on the ORA ORA ORA ORA barrage. But despite that you can make out someone else's fist...

That's The World's fist on the right, hidden in the barrage in a few frames.

And that's it. That's Sono chi no Kioku, a visually outstanding opening in every way in my opinion.

I was also going to grab some manga panels but that would have been a lot of work and hard to format, and the TV anime shots are pretty much the same. One thing I'm surprised they didn't try to reference was the iconic steamroller DIO drops on Jotaro, though.

Defuser

Jojo Bizarre Adventure : Stardust crusaders final
Finally, the long feud between Dio and the Joestars have ended. That was alot of __of the week nonsense and deus ex asspulls Araki have conjured which makes me wondered why fans rave about part 3 as their favourite years ago, goes to show how a bad writer is he was back then when over a hundred chapters of SC he still can't get down the stand concepts, his editor must have one hell of an headache reading his manuscripts. But nonetheless it was awesome because it's jojo.

Jex

Great work on that OP post. The opening to the Egypt arc of Stardust Crusaders is certainly one of the best 'evolving' openings even created.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That post is gonna blow up my shitty work internet connection.

Nisekoi S2 - 11

At first I thought "oh jeez onodera episode time to set my alarm clock". Found it decent enough to my surprise, and I managed to get through the whole episode without dozing off.
The snow scene looked pretty. Some reactions caught me off guard which is always fun.

Great write-up on the Opening for Stardust Crusaders Second Season. Yeah there were lots of details I missed that you posted, it's a really good Opening.

Assassination Classroom 22 (END)

Perfect adaptation of one of the stronger jump manga. Great cast and great love for the arcs. I think a few things were skipped sadly in the middle but they only had 22 episodes so some of those one off moments could have been forgotten. In any case, the island arc and exam was what I was looking most forward to and neither disappointed.

Will keep watching the engdub too since its one of the funniest funidubs in awhile.

10/10.

The ED singers need to do more songs. Its up there for one of my favorite songs to listen to this year.

Hastati

Danmachi 12

holy shit things are happening! Crazy things! And only one more episode noooooo!

Also,
Super saiyan
Hestia was amazing. I love this show, gonna be so sad when it ends.

--

For Stardust Crusaders, if I'm new to JoJo is S1 a good place to start? I've finally succumbed to all the hype around here. Should I go back further? I apologize if this has been asked before!

For Stardust Crusaders, if I'm new to JoJo is S1 a good place to start? I've finally succumbed to all the hype around here. Should I go back further? I apologize if this has been asked before!

Yes, you gotta start there. Stardust Crusaders is the third part in the series (of 8) and S1 covers Part 1 Phantom Blood and Part 2 Battle Tendency. S2 is all Stardust.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, yeah, I just hope they do not end season 2 with a gliff-hanger, knowing it is going to be several years before we see a continuation of the story....

Being the Valentimes day episode, I can see a
confession
coming up, but yeah,
Yui is definately jeleous of Hiki and Yuki now, especially after the mixing bowl incident. She knows everything, she has to, which is why she is hesitant to spend time with Hiki and why Haruno wants them to all come clean with their feelings
Either way next week could be the real breakthrough into "genuine" and could be very explosive indeed....

indeed, the evil of all evils. It's time to be "genuine" and it might not be pretty. However,
it sounds like Yui is ready to concede
so maybe not sooo bad, but damn it should be an emotional stand..

Its happening.

ac38tFz.jpg

Cornbread78

Danmachi ep. 12:
This episode was not what I expected, at all, this week seeing as the first season is almost done. Seriously looks like
Hestia screwed up bad by using her divine powers and it's all Hermes fault. There is a reason they (Gods and Goddess') are not supossed to be in the dungeon. I bet we are about to find out why in detail next week as they are attacked n the safe zone by that giant monster. Welf must have to go down the hill to get his magical item that Hephestus gave back to him (a little foreshadiwing, huh.) and he will use that to defeat the monster. Still Hestia and Hermes are in some deep $hit..
Ryu was awesome in this episode and it's good to get her back-story finally. So much more to learn abotu this world and I really hope they go more in depth as the Manga continues to be written. It's going to be a long wait for more after next week though!

Cornbread78

All that chocolate covered jelly.

Iroha is a real pro at nailing those Critical hits everytime.

Wish the relatively good atmosphere would have lasted a little longer, but alas, Haruno is still playing her best Joker impersonation.

Haruno needs to get out of her sisters business... She is evil.. I still don't get the whole scene
with Yuki's mom, why does she keep popping up lately? They are hiding something from us right now and it's pissing me off. I'm guessing we find out next week what it is though.

9kxElda.gif

Thanks, super interesting read. Your OP rankings are on point btw.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 48

I was expecting a bit more hype. The episode was pretty good overall but I feel a bit dissapointed. Even Steely Dan got destroyed harder.

Overall I really liked Stardust Crusaders. All those interesting stands made every episode feel unique. Here's hoping for Part 4.
Please adapt Part 4

John Blade

Look like I will get all three DVD replacement disc for Ghost Stories from the online store. I will give them credit about this but will wait till it arrived here. Hope nothing bad with them once it get here.

phaze

I’ve been thinking about doing this post for a while now, and now that Stardust Crusaders has finally concluded, here it is. Forgive me if this is a bit messy, I had this mostly done before episodes 47/48 when things were added to the OP. I want to talk about the second opening, Sono Chi no Kioku ~end of THE WORLD~. Now personally I think all four OP are great, song wise and visual wise. If I had to rank them –

Great post. The nine seconds bit is just bloody sublime.

As for ranking of them. Sono Chi no Kioku has really grown on me. Both the visuals and the song. I still dislike the CG they're using so I'd prefer BS for pure visuals but the fourth opening has a good song (frankly I kinda hate the rest of them) and the subtle and sublime way of referencing events without spoiling them. + the additions over the last two episodes add another layer of allure to it.

Looking back, I'm really glad I stuck to my ways of skipping over the openings till I finish the show. Part 1 one is a spoilers galore.

Giant Robo 4

I'mnotaloneIfightwithmyNakama.gif

JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Finale

gPQTHRq.jpg

Such a bittersweet photo.😢

That was a great episode I have to say. The battle may have been a bit anti-climatic but it was satisfying seeing Dio utterly destroyed by Jotaro and turned to dust by the almighty sunlight. I loved how Jotaro used his heartbeat trick which he learned from encountering Dio to
bring Joseph back.
You have to really love Joseph I mean he went as far
to screw around with Jotaro into thinking he was possessed by Dio. Joseph's trickster personality never gets old,
best JoJo. That segment where you see
Kakyoin, Advol, and Iggy in the horizon was quite sad but they died honorably without looking back, RIP.
Seriously that scene where Polnareff says his goodbye to Joseph and Jotaro and gave them a big hug made me cry, they are bros for life. It was nice seeing Holly finally waking up right beside Suzie. But man that group photo of the crew Jotaro was looking at towards the end was bittersweet.😭

Stardust Crusaders was a enjoyable and fantastic ride, one that I will never forget. It may have had its hiccups with the Monster of the week setup here and there but seeing the whole gang work together to overcome many hardships was amazing. The plans and strategies they used to overcome every Stand enemy user even when it seemed impossible was a sight to see. The psychological struggles they had to go through and some
of the major characters deaths was nicely handled.
The OST was splendid as well especially during Stand battles. The Openings and Endings were great as usual.

Stardust Crusaders was a great ride. The overall ranking of the whole series would be Battle Tendency > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood. For Opening ranking Bloody Stream > Sono Chi No Sadame > Sono Chi No Kioku > Stand Proud. And finally the Ending ranking Roundabout > Walk Like an Egyptian.

Need more JoJo. I want Part 4 to be adapted. At least BD sales are looking good from what I've checked.

Arcadius

Banned
Galaxy Angel

Ah! What a crazy off the walls slice of life this anime is. An anime about several girls who are apart of the Angel Brigade on the search for "Lost Technology", the anime seems like it'll be a little serious in plot or something, but nope, not at all!!

Following the girls, we have the observational and smart Mint (Totally adorable!), the quiet and reserved Vanilla, the naïve and all out fun Milfeulle and the two bad asses; gun toting Forte and money gone crazy Ranpha.

The anime is 100% episodic with no true story occurring at all, though at times it seems like the lost technology arc is shoehorned in to make you think something is happening.

The girls themselves are super fun to follow around. Forte and Ranpha have great chemistry together, typically working together, but always competitive with one another, they bring out many abundant laughs. Milfeulle is the star of the show though; her naivety and innocent type of personality brings up many great scenes and is always used in great ways. She's super lucky and the things that happen with her and her "luck" are just brilliant. 100% comedy infused anime.

The art style used is very dated though, seeing as how the show aired in 01, it lends itself to much of the 90's look and feel. Not that there is anything wrong with this, Galaxy Angel still ends up looking very nice and most of the time, it's the girls who get the most screen time anyway, so they look great from the get-go.

For the story, there is none, at least not in Galaxy Angel itself. It's supposed to be about finding lost technology, but instead becomes a show about doing missions in this sci-fi realized world, which isn't exactly realized well because nothing is explained to us. The vague story line and the vague world up-bringing end up working entirely well though, because the show isn't serious at all, those things just aren't important. Galaxy Angel is all about mindless fun and being in wild situations.

The OP and ED used for Galaxy Angel is real good too, they essentially tell you about the show through the music that is used. Peppy, cheerful and extra cute. Doki Doki ~

If you're looking for a slice of life show with a cute cast and an environment that isn't a school, you may find Galaxy Angel to be what you're trying to find.

Three more seasons to go!

Angry Grimace

Haruno needs to get out of her sisters business... She is evil.. I still don't get the whole scene
with Yuki's mom, why does she keep popping up lately? They are hiding something from us right now and it's pissing me off. I'm guessing we find out next week what it is though.

The chance they resolve Yukino's plot next week is like 0%, dude. You're going to be waiting until Season 3. There will be a season 3 regardless of what Watari actually does with the books.

Cornbread78

The chance they resolve Yukino's plot next week is like 0%, dude. You're going to be waiting until Season 3. There will be a season 3 regardless of what Watari actually does with the books.

uuggh, great... Can we just get a Hiki make-out scene next week at least? The dude deserves it man...

kewlmyc

SNAFU 12

It's weird not knowing what is going to happen since we've passed the already released novels already. I hate Haruno yet love her at the same time for forcing the 3 protaganists to be honest with themselves and delaying the inevitable romantic conflict between the 3 of them (and Iroha and Saki as well, but no one is seriously counting those 2 :p). Can't wait to next week and I hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger that would suck.

My heart goes out to Yui fans, that ship is heading straight towards an iceburg.

I just get this feeling that things won't end well and a lot of plot points are still going to be unresolved. The long wait is gonna be awful.

I'm thinking we're going to get OVAs instead if the LN is as close to ending as the author has led it on to be. That or a 3rd season where they animate the side material novels as well, which would be awesome.

zulux21

Sure that's not a placeholder or something?
Not like I find that hard to believe at all.

the rumors have been for a while that it got a 100 episode base order (so this is just confirming this) but it is supposed to get plenty more episodes if it has decent ratings (which it likely will)

Galaxy Angel

Ah! What a crazy off the walls slice of life this anime is. An anime about several girls who are apart of the Angel Brigade on the search for "Lost Technology", the anime seems like it'll be a little serious in plot or something, but nope, not at all!!

Following the girls, we have the observational and smart Mint (Totally adorable!), the quiet and reserved Vanilla, the naïve and all out fun Milfeulle and the two bad asses; gun toting Forte and money gone crazy Ranpha.

The anime is 100% episodic with no true story occurring at all, though at times it seems like the lost technology arc is shoehorned in to make you think something is happening.

The girls themselves are super fun to follow around. Forte and Ranpha have great chemistry together, typically working together, but always competitive with one another, they bring out many abundant laughs. Milfeulle is the star of the show though; her naivety and innocent type of personality brings up many great scenes and is always used in great ways. She's super lucky and the things that happen with her and her "luck" are just brilliant. 100% comedy infused anime.

The art style used is very dated though, seeing as how the show aired in 01, it lends itself to much of the 90's look and feel. Not that there is anything wrong with this, Galaxy Angel still ends up looking very nice and most of the time, it's the girls who get the most screen time anyway, so they look great from the get-go.

For the story, there is none, at least not in Galaxy Angel itself. It's supposed to be about finding lost technology, but instead becomes a show about doing missions in this sci-fi realized world, which isn't exactly realized well because nothing is explained to us. The vague story line and the vague world up-bringing end up working entirely well though, because the show isn't serious at all, those things just aren't important. Galaxy Angel is all about mindless fun and being in wild situations.

The OP and ED used for Galaxy Angel is real good too, they essentially tell you about the show through the music that is used. Peppy, cheerful and extra cute. Doki Doki ~

If you're looking for a slice of life show with a cute cast and an environment that isn't a school, you may find Galaxy Angel to be what you're trying to find.

Three more seasons to go!

Great that you like it .
galaxy angel is a great comedy anime... All season are excellent in term of quality even when the last season is the worse of them all it's still very good.
Do know that the anime is loosely based on the game. The game are serious business and much straightforward toward the heroines. ( it's a space battle dating sim )

Music from season 2 is the best of the franchise, enjoy it.

Angry Grimace

Ugh thanks for crashing every mobile browser in existence

P.s., Haruno is the only good chara in snafu
I put him on ignore until we leave this page. It's nothing he said, that was just ridiculous.

Arcadius

Banned
Great that you like it .
galaxy angel is a great comedy anime... All season are excellent in term of quality even when the last season is the worse of them all it's still very good.
Do know that the anime is loosely based on the game. The game are serious business and much straightforward toward the heroines. ( it's a space battle dating sim )

Music from season 2 is the best of the franchise, enjoy it.

I was trying to search for an OP to show to AnimeGAF, but couldn't find one with decent quality. I did see something about a game, space battle dating sim, ahah, sounds good to be honest.

Galaxy Angel is fun though, it should be recommended to people looking for a good comedy, it's very funny. Forgot to mention how Ranpha goes lovey dovey for men, it's so ridiculously funny.

cajunator

Banned
Embrace the moe

Yes. Yes I will!

Hmmm. these look really generic :/
Like Ive seen these shows before.

Danmachi endcard by Index's illustrator Kiyotaka Haimura

Thats pretty adorable. Though kind of odd that such a rarely shown character is given center stage.

The Devil is a Part-timer Episodes 4-7

This anime is so fun. Also, Chiho is so adorable <3

Chiho is the best! Some miscreants will say Emi but they're wrong!

Is Jojo finally over?

Is the long nightmare at last over!?

*self avatar quote*

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why you think Jojo is bad WITHOUT using the words "I don't like", or any other sequence of words that describe your personal taste in things.

Tell us why you think the entire franchise as a whole is legitimately terrible, regardless of what you think of these kinds of shows.

cajunator

Banned
Nisekoi ep 11:
Yes, This was one of the best episodes of Nisekoi yet because we finally got some clear background story and, of course, it was about the best girl! It's great that she got screen time and now we, finally, have a much better idea of her and Raku's relationship, and the what's and when's of it. I'm so happy they put this out there finally since it fills in so many story gaps! Also, those faces like the gif at top... excellent...

I love the reaction faces so much.l shaft are masters of that craft.
The first one in particular reminds me of Shinobu:

It helps to live in Asia. Still, I am totally jealous of the Hong Kong and Taiwanese. Their plane tickets cost nearly half of mine! My next trip is in less than a month, where we will get the glorious strings quartet at the Orchard Hall. The stars seemed to have aligned and placed it on the long weekend. Thank god for national holidays.

Fingers crossed for a BD release! The Kara no Kyoukai medley (Mirai Fukuin M07 + in the garden of sinners + a part of paradigm, assuming it gets performed in July) is begging to be released in some form. And of course, I miss you (Madoka compilation movies) as sung by Tomaru Hanae + Yuriko Kaida. For fans of See-Saw, they covered a number of .hack// theme songs. Namely Edge, Tasogare no Umi and Kioku.

I... I'll stop here before I start rambling some more.

Well in that case, enjoy the trips!

cajunator

Banned
Its happening.

ac38tFz.jpg

Can somebody repost that yandere Yui picture from a few pages ago? I cant seem to find it. I think it was a 4chan screencap.

Yeah, i'm so so on it. I think it looks cooler, but I miss the basic functionality.

Yeah. My #1 gripe with it, how do you know what you ordered already? It used to say "you ordered this item on (date)" so that you dont double order things. Some people order a lot!

Danmachi 12
This episode started out bad, then it got worse.
or did it? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

At the end there was some PvP'ing going on, too bad it got interupted. I really wanted to see how Bell would finish of that invisible guy. Lol at Welf losing his sword, what a chump.

Calling it now, Bell is going to take Welf's sword to destroy that giant skull thingy.

Can somebody repost that yandere Yui picture from a few pages ago? I cant seem to find it. I think it was a 4chan screencap.

This one right?

cajunator

Banned
All that chocolate covered jelly.

Iroha is a real pro at nailing those Critical hits everytime.

Wish the relatively good atmosphere would have lasted a little longer, but alas, Haruno is still playing her best Joker impersonation.

Iroha looks pretty incredible. I love her little denials.

Danmachi 12
This episode started out bad, then it got worse.
or did it? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

At the end there was some PvP'ing going on, too bad it got interupted. I really wanted to see how Bell would finish of that invisible guy. Lol at Welf losing his sword, what a chump.

Calling it now, Bell is going to take Welf's sword to destroy that giant skull thingy.

This one right?

AHAHAHAHA thanks. That was the one.
Im going to enjoy this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom