• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck, this is the #1+ thing I hate about anime. Just when you start to like a series, you come to the realization that there is no ending.. I just pulled a pass off Twitter so I could watch this and Grisaia, but reading the manga would not be as satisfying as seeing it in animated form. To me, it is much less appealing to just read it rather than having the visual to match.

You have to understand that for 99% of the anime , the anime is a mean to get more sales of another product ( toy, book, manga , song , game ) They aren't there to give you a full experience from the start , they want you to get HYPED enough so you invest your time in the other material.
It's the sad truth. but it's the truth regardless.
Edit: oups , double post , meant to edit the other one..Oh well.

javac

Not anime, but fuck I finally finished the Splatoon single player...God damn I had tears in my eyes at how amazing it all was...and the ending actually reminded me of a particular anime series :p 10/10 Thanks Nintendo.

Cornbread78

You have to understand that for 99% of the anime , the anime is a mean to get more sales of another product ( toy, book, manga , song , game ) They aren't there to give you a full experience from the start , they want you to get HYPED enough so you invest your time in the other material.
It's the sad truth. but it's the truth regardless.
Edit: oups , double post , meant to edit the other one..Oh well.

Yeah. I get it, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating, lol. Show dropped, what's the point.

Very unlikely. The manga is fully caught up on Crunchyroll, so you could read it in English with a guest pass if you so desire.

If the anime does well, why would it be very unlikely that they'd make more seasons?

I mean, I read the manga and it's good, but if the anime is popular enough I'd certainly think that they'd make more.

Narag

Princess Nine 25

brm6OQHl.png

Show is reminding me it might be worth exploring more sports anime in the future. Also:

They used this track from Giant Robo to close out the ep. ommmmmmg

Cornbread78

If the anime does well, why would it be very unlikely that they'd make more seasons?

I mean, I read the manga and it's good, but if the anime is popular enough I'd certainly think that they'd make more.

I wonder how sales are for the series on Blu-ray or the manga? Is it popular in Japan?

Happens to me all the time... sigh. Spoiled links shouldn't exist :'(

Lol, it's that way every week as the new shows come out. I can't wait to catch up on Grisaia tonight on break to see how the girls kick things off.

Symphogear G 09

vgwyU1V.jpg
3UVqDMd.jpg
j78g5rA.jpg

Training montages are always awesome but why is Chris the physically weakest one? That makes no sense. This show makes no sense.

"Instead of my greeting say hello to my Gatling" is probably one of my favorite dumb anime song lines of all time. It cracks me up every time.

HOLY CRAP DOES NO ONE DIE IN THIS SHOW??? This is reaching Aldnoah Zero levels of fakeouts. I'm not at all surprised Miku ended up with a Symphogear, but I still was shaking my head when it happened. Shit I still think the red head is still alive and they are saving that for S3

I don't think I have ever seen villains so gullible. It's blowing my mind. The level of shit they let the obviously evil scientist get away with is so stupid. I'm guessing at the last episode they will probably figure out he's a dick and then team up with the main group to fight the baddie in S3.

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 12

Code Geass, Macross, and every Gundam show ever not called G or Build Fighters, listen up.

Tetsujin managed to show me how terrible war is in one episode, as opposed to your shows taking fifty to do it.

And it did it without dramatic speeches from princesses, singing, explosions, or even any robot action. In a mecha anime.

I'm gonna say this again.

This one solitary episode did a better job at showing me how brutal and terrible war is than any episode in your series ever did.

It's all about the cost-benefit analysis. Yamada-kun was already exposed to the mainstream crowd (and a more female-oriented crowd) via the live-action drama. That boosted sales, but they had yet to really focus on the otaku crowd. Thus the anime was created. The preliminary reports aren't the most positive, especially for Amuse, which are distributing the discs. I can't say it's doing well.

If the manga was selling well, but the discs are not, then there's no reason to produce any more as people are buying the manga instead. That's the problem with multiple seasons of something. Sales for the Index light novels have plateaued, even with a new movie and a second season of Railgun. There's no reason for Ascii to greenlight more because they wouldn't see any increase in what they want as opposed to pushing the spotlight on something new (Heavy Object) that could be increased and possibly more as many discs. The Index anime was popular, but it makes no business sense to make more when people aren't going to buy the light novels anyways.

kewlmyc

So what you're saying is, this is all just a sham and we will never get to see the full plotline animated then, huh? It sucks because after the he first two episodes, it got pretty damn entertaining and fun.

Just read the manga honestly. If you think the anime is fun, then the manga which takes its time and has a lot more humor, should be right up your ally. If you have Crunchyroll, you can read it on their site easily.

Cornbread78

Just read the manga honestly. If you think the anime is fun, then the manga which takes its time and has a lot more humor, should be right up your ally. If you have Crunchyroll, you can read it on their site easily.

It's not available through their mobile site though, unfortunately. Either way, knowing myself, I wouldn't appreciate reading through it rather than watching it.

Baalzebup

Symphogear G 09
"Instead of my greeting say hello to my Gatling" is probably one of my favorite dumb anime song lines of all time. It cracks me up every time.

HOLY CRAP DOES NO ONE DIE IN THIS SHOW??? This is reaching Aldnoah Zero levels of fakeouts. I'm not at all surprised Miku ended up with a Symphogear, but I still was shaking my head when it happened. Shit I still think the red head is still alive and they are saving that for S3

I don't think I have ever seen villains so gullible. It's blowing my mind. The level of shit they let the obviously evil scientist get away with is so stupid. I'm guessing at the last episode they will probably figure out he's a dick and then team up with the main group to fight the baddie in S3.

Heh, your view on this really mirrors mine. It really does become a weird masochistic exercise in frustration.

Zephyx

Subscribed. Can't wait for the remaining episodes of Yahari and summer.

Soma 6-7
Meat.. I mean neat. The reactions are just amazing.

Cornbread78

Although Arslan Senki isn't doing that well, Kekkai Sensen is doing really well which is my favorite show this season with the former coming in real close.

I mean you don't see a western influenced anime do that well these days so it really makes me happy that it's doing well.

Both are Funi shows right? I haven't watched any of the Funi stuff this season yet...

Mature

Not anime, but fuck I finally finished the Splatoon single player...God damn I had tears in my eyes at how amazing it all was...and the ending actually reminded me of a particular anime series :p 10/10 Thanks Nintendo.
What anime?

Edit: oh, you're probably referring to
Macross.

javac

What anime?

Edit: oh, you're probably referring to
Macross.

Bingo :p I was audibly giggling and squealing by the end, what an awesome game!

Splatoon has a single player?

People like to joke, but it's actually pretty good! I was super hyped for Splatoon but always weary about how the single player would turn out, but it was actually really good!

The stages are very similar to those of Super Mario Galaxy, both in structure, as in a load of floating islands with puzzles that you have to traverse and figure out, and each island has a platform at the end that shoots you off onto the next island, kind of like the launch stars in Galaxy, but also in the platforming, as the paint (much like the gravity in Galaxy) changes how you traverse the levels and changes how you think about tackling certain things. Many leap of faiths to be had.

The puzzles themselves vary from invisible platforms that you have to spray with your ink to reveal (similar to 3D World levels) to rotating walls that you have to climb up etc. It's actually not that short too. In no way shape or form should you buy Splatoon for the single player, but if you own Splatoon, do yourselves a favor and play the Single Player mode. The combat actually trained me a bit to act more offensive and defensive too which I hope translates to the online multiplayer. In practice, I'll probably just flail as always :p

Looking forward to the match with Araya next week on Baby Steps. I just started it recently and caught up. While season 1 was good season 2 has been firing on all cylinders in my opinion, especially the last match. I just hope now that the show is getting into bigger matches that it doesn't start really dragging stuff out.

Narag

Princess Nine 26 FIN

Great ending to a great show. I can almost understand why I used to read complaints about the ending. Almost. Show was often more of a character piece where the games were supplemental to interaction than the focus and I think that was lost on some folk.

===

I'm hesitant to draw this comparison but I almost feel I need to. While it never quite channels the same level of art as Ping Pong, Princess Nine feels drawn from very much the same place. It's a show that's very character oriented such that while the sport it's based around is prominent, as I said above, it's meant to facilitate character interaction and drive them through their problems, big or small. I don't mean to imply it's too serious though as the show often leans toward more humorous interaction (to the point I'm convinced one character is a send up of one from the first Major League movie), it can easily shift gears into something more dramatic. This mostly revolves around the love triangle between Ryo, Izumi, and Takasugi which itself has a satisfying resolution.

Despite liberal borrowing from other Amano scores, the Masamichi Amano score is one of his best and a real highlight of the show, successully driving (dramatic and romantic!!!) tension. Much like so many other of Amano's works, it's a fiber of the show and without it I feel it'd be a lesser product all around. It's definitely top 10 OST material for me.

One gets a taste of this via the OP that is performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic like so many of Amano's other works. It's one of my favorites as well. It's one of those I watched every time as it gets me psyched for an episode. Admittedly, it's mostly by the books in how it highlights various characters and their specialties, there's a couple highlights.

First is the brief bit at the beginning that's so incredibly important to the show, touching upon the formative experiences Ryo had with her deceased father and how that influenced her growing up.

Second is the establishment of the rivalry between Ryo and Izumi.

So much of Ryo's identity is centered around her role as the team's pitcher and her carrying her father's legacy. It's arguably the best way for her to reconnect with him after all these years, doing what he loved so much and doing things only he could do when he was successful.

It's fitting that Izumi's role in the natural antagonist to the pitcher, the batter. On top of that (since this is indeed a sort of generational tale!), she's the chairwoman's daughter who once upon a time carried a torch for Ryo's father but lost to Ryo's mother in the game of love. This matters since the girls undergo a similar situation where the two vie for the attention of the main love interest.

This is ultimately so disruptive that even long after they're become teammates and focused upon the common goal of reaching Koshien together, as classmates, there's still lingering resentment between the two who cannot see eye to eye on the matter.

So yeah, if you nerds want to watch something good for a change, it's available online courtesy of Nozomi:
Dub
Sub

High School DxD BorN - 09
"Sup, bitches.
Dis is yo' God Ophis!"
BPzLDcx.jpg

Seriously. Give Ophis Chad Warden's voice and it's the best thing ever.
The big finale of the Diodora arc's here! My thoughts: [MAJOR SPOILERS]
+Issei's
Juggernaut Drive
+Xenovia
going berserk over Asia's disappearance.
+
Ophis is here! The most adorable dragon god has arrived!
+Addressing Issei's
trauma with Raynare.
It's one of the few harem series that actually gives a good reason why the MC won't get into relationships.
-
Ophis
fanservice. Don't get me wrong, I love, LOVE
Ophis
as a character, but I absolutely hate his/her/its pedoriffic outfit.
The Dragon God's
heretical sexualization makes me want to shake the artist until his eyes switch sockets.
-This episode deserved much more budget. There were too many off-model moments and total stills with nothing going on.
-The way they stopped Issei's rampage was lame, especially compared to the epic moment in the novels(The Oppai Dragon Theme Song).
-The resurgence of fanservice in serious scenes, not unlike the first 2 seasons. The earlier episodes had almost none of this. Clothing battle damage is the most horribly contrived way of showing fanservice.
-Choppy pacing. For such a pivotal episode, they should have taken the OP and ED out to give more time for stuff to happen. A far cry from the Loki fight earlier this season.

Overall, it was a step down from the novels, despite it originally being a weak arc overall(except for Juggernaut Drive and such). The earlier episodes had me hoping that they would nail an alternate adaptation of the source material, but the ommission of the Gremory-Sitri Rating Game and the Oppai Dragon Theme Song ultimately hurt it. Here's hoping the final story arc can make up for it.

Cornbread78

The Fruit of Grisaia S2 ep.7
Damn, that is an awesome rifle she got there. It's a super power full pink rifle as well. I guess it all starts to go down next week. The final four episodes are going to be crazy for sure. I have to say that this series is crazy in the way th focus and tone has changed so many times over the two seasons. With only a few episodes left it really leaves you no idea on whether
Yuuji dies or gets saved by the girls, whether the girls save him or all die trying, or JB finally wakes up now that she knows something is up and comes to save the day.
I really have no idea how it is going to play out, which is an awesome feeling and 1 reason I can't wait to watch it each week.

How prophetic is this sequence in retrospect
kajitsu8_6.jpg

javac

Thanks for your write up Narag, never heard of Princess Nine, and if I have in the past I can't remember but it does look like something I might enjoy, from the music to the art style. I've never seen a sports anime yet, and a lot of them looks really cool, from the obvious ones like Ippo and Joe to long running, and beautiful looking shows like Yawara! (Naoki Urasawa). I need to get into this genre, specifically the older entries like the ones mentioned above. When it comes to sports stuff, I think I'd prefer the 'sports-lite' shows, the ones that don't focus on the sport too much, as its obviously the characters I care about and less the intricacies of the sport itself which I couldn't give a shit about. I'll be honest, I haven't read up your previous post on thisseries I'll admit, I've been absent from this thread (fucking Splatoon am I right?) but I'll look into Princess Nine :)

Narag

Thanks for your write up Narag, never heard of Princess Nine, and if I have in the past I can't remember but it does look like something I might enjoy, from the music to the art style. I've never seen a sports anime yet, and a lot of them looks really cool, from the obvious ones like Ippo and Joe to long running, and beautiful looking shows like Yawara! (Naoki Urasawa). I need to get into this genre, specifically the older entries like the ones mentioned above. When it comes to sports stuff, I think I'd prefer the 'sports-lite' shows, the ones that don't focus on the sport too much, as its obviously the characters I care about and less the intricacies of the sport itself which I couldn't give a shit about. I'll be honest, I haven't read up your previous post on thisseries I'll admit, I've been absent from this thread (fucking Splatoon am I right?) but I'll look into Princess Nine :)

Watch Ping Pong

Those princess 9 screenshot, wtf.. the first eps that I tried to watch looks nothing like that

Those are from the OP. Show itself can run the full gamut of bad to good (like most TV anime)

It's not like I dislike the show but...well, I'm actually not sure how to feel about it.

I like the singing I guess!

Evil Sugita got boring after his first insane appearance. I think everyone thought he became annoying really quickly.

I mean Sugita voicing such a role is funny, but not when it becomes a re-occurring centerpiece. One or two appearances as a minor villain would have been fine, but not as the
main villain

Aki-at

Although Arslan Senki isn't doing that well, Kekkai Sensen is doing really well which is my favorite show this season with the former coming in real close.

I mean you don't see a western influenced anime do that well these days so it really makes me happy that it's doing well.

Wait, how do you know Kekkai Sensen is doing well? Or is this how you feel the show is doing?

As a big fan of Nightow's work I'd love to see this series continue in any way but got the feeling it's these 12 episodes and that's it. Any signs of a possible future series will please me greatly.

Wait, how do you know Kekkai Sensen is doing well? Or is this how you feel the show is doing?

As a big fan of Nightow's work I'd love to see this series continue in any way but got the feeling it's these 12 episodes and that's it. Any signs of a possible future series will please me greatly.

It's been ranking in the top 100 on Amazon consistently and is predicted to sell 10K or even more. All its BD Vols have been ranking really high on Animate as well, it's also reaIly popular on Pixiv. I mean even the manga is getting a boost. Chances for a season 2 are really high.

It's been too long since Trigun so it's great this series is getting recognition because the characters and setting are absolutely wonderful.

ibyea

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1
I really like it. I am going to enjoy the heck out of this show. Too bad like so many space sci fi they limit the action space battles take by treating it like it's the sky, but as a physics major I can't help but nitpick and think of the really unique potential space battles have.

cajunator

Banned
will you join my Mako-chan/Sailor Jupiter geocities fansite???

Dude, join my webring!!

Hello Kirino mozaic - 09

Damn they are shipping yoko and aya SO HARD you don't even need yuri googles to see it .

Karen is still the star , no the SUN of this show... her carefree attitude is headed toward such a great ending i can't wait to see the effects .

As for the rest of the show it's still great

Good lord that picture is adorable. Karen is precious. I cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom