• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't this the show where a girl wakes up from a coma for three years and the doctor tells the parents not to tell her she's been asleep for that long?
Said doctor also smokes next to an oxygen tank. In the hospital.

Yes because she has an internal time gap.

But like, how can a facade like that possibly be kept up? Will she not notice any calendars lying around? What about TV and the news?

Like, the whole idea is just ridiculous. All it takes is for one random thing anywhere to display the current date and the whole thing falls apart.

Suplexer

SNAFFU finally hit the worst part of most 12-13 episode anime series. The idea that only in the last few episode does Yukinon show any sort of feelings for Hiki other than borderline friendship is absurd. Isshiki clearly has strong feelings for him and they have been relevant since her introduction. Yuigahama has practically confessed to him and he for the most part reciprocated her feelings. Yukinon has never made any advances towards him except for one time saying she was looking forward to the next school year. She has been the only main female character in the show that didn't want an intimate relationship with Hiki the whole show, but now it's crunch time nad just like every anime, every girl needs to want to fuck the main character. No one is allowed to be just friends. I have not read the source material, but as far as the anime being standalone, I'm really upset that they fell for this trap instead of leaving them as friends. Maybe in the LNs they have some chapters that flesh out her feelings for him, but they are not present in the anime.

They really could have had the last few episodes devoted to the clear forward momentum Yui and Hiki have in their relationship. He was so distant the whole show but now he is finally making
million dollar
moves towards their future. Having Yukinon get hot and bothered completely out of no where after showing little to no feelings for him otherwise is really frustrated, because it's obviously going to turn into a "no one wins because it's a love triangle" ending when it easily could have been Tora Dora style where Yuigahama and Hiki get together and everyone else stays friends. With these last two episodes I don't really see that happening now because this show has an awful, awful tendency to feed false drama into the ends of its episodes.

I've really enjoyed the show, but the latest episode has really soured me on it.

Also, I already have my fork ready so here's hoping that I am wrong and this all leads to her just being weird around him or something and HikkixYuigahama lives on.

cajunator

Banned
yeah the sharing mana one

thats a very creative name for it I suppose

Aria the Origination - 10

Alice was so nervous
on her first day as Prima.
Maa sachou trolling in the well was so funny.
I wanted to have watched it way sooner, but now that classes are out of the way I'll finish it to be ready for the Avvenire.

This show is so excellent to just chill you out after a stressful day. Its not boring, but can be as effective as chamomile.

Wow cyber bullying

Look man i post the first source i come across

today was not your day

Yall dont fight. Its just news. Not a big deal.

Because it's fun, and not boring. Characters are fun, pacing is great, not a lot of bullshit. Just awesomeness.

IdolM@ster? what the fuck is that?

Also: you would be a dirty Nico fan! figures

Hell yeah Im a Nico fan :D
Idolmaster is way better than Love Live but that hadd a ton of games and publicity. Love Live really didnt have so much exposure. It seemed to come from nowhere.

Cornbread78

But like, how can a facade like that possibly be kept up? Will she not notice any calendars lying around? What about TV and the news?

Like, the whole idea is just ridiculous. All it takes is for one random thing anywhere to display the current date and the whole thing falls apart.

Not sure, they said it was only temporary until they could stabilize her mentally. Her sister is playing the aggressor towards everything that happened in the three years she was under... Pretty intense and I'm sure it is going to all blow up once they start filling her in on everything.

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 12

Very much something in the Kill La Kill/Baka Test flavor, but with a kind of heroine that wasn't really found anywhere else this season. Something of a lesbian Kamen Rider (look, it's in the scarf.) While not quite getting as much attention as a lot of other stuff - and certainly getting more than Pleiades - it was always something fun to watch on Tuesdays. The battle system allowed for some creativity, the cast had some nice variety, and it was much less abstract than the last show based on a series of songs. Though I do like some non-linearity, abstraction in my shows, so I can really go either way on this one. Enjoyable, and even if it's forgotten, once it's rediscovered it can serve as a product of its time when people look back on it. All art has some value worth analyzing.

Cornbread78

Lol. It is a little melodramatic at times, but the first half hasn't been too bad. Does the 2nd half suck that bad?

It's better than Happiness so far, lol.

Do you keep a spreadsheet of every conversation we've had?

584vejZl.jpg

Lol. It is a little melodramatic at times, but the first half hasn't been too bad. Does the 2nd half suck that bad?

I liked it :p

Why is One Piece so fucking awesome you guys
Finally decided to get into it and it's so damn excellent

It gets better and Water 7/CP9 is the best arc in One Piece. I'm glad your enjoying it, though the quality dips a lot around the Timeskip.

What episode are you on?

Do you think I would like it? (Sorry for butting in)

Apologies for butting in on this myself, but while I can't be sure or not that you would enjoy Rumbling Hearts, I'd asvise against watching it as it's generally regarded as a show that isn't exactly good.

I'd say it would be a better idea to spend your time watching better shows like Gurren Lagann (my all time favourite) or Gundam Build Fighters (It's really fun and enjoyable) to name a couple.

cajunator

Banned
Okay Arcadius, based on what you've seen and scored so far, here's what I'd recommend checking out first:

I would recommend checking out at least 2 of the those titles before you check out the following as these are the ones that can really hit you in the feels

Sakura Trick
Rinne no Lagrange
Maria Holic
Mouretsu Pirates
Simoun
Onii-sama e...
Maria-sama ga Miteru (all four seasons)
Shoujo Kakumei Utena & Adolescence (highly recommend watching the tv series before the movie Adolescence)

I recommend all these too

I just watched the Miraculous Ladybug Trailer and now I'm pretty excited about watching the full show this September.

Wasnt this cancelled or something? That might have been a french show and I think it was cuter than this too.

Maybe good news here
Kadakawa finally admit Kancolle anime sales is indeed behind expectation and will try make it better next time.
(There are many fans don't want their shipfu show up in anime due to super lame plot lol)

https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/613157974501015554
https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/613158344983838720

Well let's see will they change anything in s2.

Sad news about the sales, but understandable. It wasnt a very good show and there was no Hamakaze in it.
We did get poi and a few other notably adorable things but it wasnt enough!

squeeeeeee

Arcadius

Banned
Hm... It's not the best show. There's other shows you should check out first if you want something sad.

Ah, I see. Well I have other shows that I believe are sad and things, I'll keep this in the back of my head for when I want to watch something.

Apologies for butting in on this myself, but while I can't be sure or not that you would enjoy Rumbling Hearts, I'd asvise against watching it as it's generally regarded as a show that isn't exactly good.

I'd say it would be a better idea to spend your time watching better shows like Gurren Lagann (my all time favourite) or Gundam Build Fighters (It's really fun and enjoyable) to name a couple.

Apologies not necessary, thanks for telling me your opinions, both of you. Thanks for the two animes listed as well Nintendoman.

Cornbread78

I liked it :p

Got it.

Not surprised, but the premise of the story and the adult nature of it are VERY much appreciated..

Also, TTGL and Gundam are not "romance" or really " drama" anime's, lol. TTGL lost that right
because of poor Nia..

Ah, I see. Well I have other shows that I believe are sad and things, I'll keep this in the back of my head for when I want to watch something.

Well, it does have a few non-tacky sex scenes in it which was amazing to see in anime, lol.

Also, TTGL and Gundam are not "romance" or really " drama" anime's, lol. TTGL lost that right because
of poor Nia..

Might want to spoiler that man.

Also TTGL and Gundam Bulld Fighters, while not being about drama or romance, do have their fair share of them in their shows to go along with the show's main themes.

Moreso with TTGL than Gundam Build Fighters though.

Got it.

Not surprised, but the premise of the story and the adult nature of it are VERY much appreciated..

Also, TTGL and Gundam are not "romance" or really " drama" anime's, lol. TTGL lost that right because
of poor Nia..

Hey Corn have you finished watching Barakamon, the anime I recommended you a while ago?

Euphonium 12

A lot of moments in todays episode confirmed why this show is my current AOTS. I liked everything. Shuuichi is still pointless though. I was expecting some sort of real interaction between him and Kumiko today, Shame.

The running scene was godlike.
Here's
a WebM I found of it. No sound though

So are there going to be 14 or 13 episodes? Not including that bonus episode. I can't see how they'll wrap this up in one episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really wish this wasn't the case. It'd be a nice change of pace for there to be a good romance show with like, 3 main guys and 3 main girls. To make things even and everything.
Oh, there's a lot of those types of shows - Say I Love You, Hatsukoi Limited, and at least in the manga, Kimi ni Todoke. The thing with a harem though, I'm sure you don't want to even create competition of any sort. lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku Episode 12:

So we have reached the end time with this program and while this is a fair enough stopping point I wouldn't mind seeing another season if this program. Indeed, this has been my surprise of the season and also my personal favorite of the season. It is not the best show of the season as many aspects, most aspects of this program were pretty average. Though god damn if Eruna and a good deal of the supporting cast didn't elevate this program to the heavens of watchability. Also, it helped that this program, and I know this is going to sound odd, basically was Lesbian Gundam Build Fighters. What is meant by this is that Mikagura has managed to invoke the same sense of dumb but grand optimism and sense of fun that made GBF so transcendent. Also, kudos for this program for not being afraid to have an actual lesbian as your protagonist; that has been a bit of a contentious issue this season with other programming.
I am a bit dismayed they didn't difinitivly make Seisa and Eruna a couple, but come on, this show basically spelled out that they are not only destined lovers but they are soulmates that transcend time and space or at least there is a family legacy there which is a bit baffling when thought about. Also, I am convinced that last battle was less a friendly fight and more and extended form of foreplay.
Sadly, this show didn't get all that much attention this season but it is worth watching at some point and it shall be missed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku Episode 12:

So we have reached the end time with this program and while this is a fair enough stopping point I wouldn't mind seeing another season if this program. Indeed, this has been my surprise of the season and also my personal favorite of the season. It is not the best show of the season as many aspects, most aspects of this program were pretty average. Though god damn if Eruna and a good deal of the supporting cast didn't elevate this program to the heavens of watchability. Also, it helped that this program, and I know this is going to sound odd, basically was Lesbian Gundam Build Fighters. What is meant by this is that Mikagura has managed to invoke the same sense of dumb but grand optimism and sense of fun that made GBF so transcendent. Also, kudos for this program for not being afraid to have an actual lesbian as your protagonist; that has been a bit of a contentious issue this season with other programming.
I am a bit dismayed they didn't difinitivly make Seisa and Eruna a couple, but come on, this show basically spelled out that they are not only destined lovers but they are soulmates that transcend time and space or at least there is a family legacy there which is a bit baffling when thought about. Also, I am convinced that last battle was less a friendly fight and more and extended form of foreplay.
Sadly, this show didn't get all that much attention this season but it is worth watching at some point and it shall be missed.

Given all the raging for lesbians in this thread, I'm surprised people weren't infatuated with this show. :p

Oh, there's a lot of those types of shows - Say I Love You, Hatsukoi Limited, and at least in the manga, Kimi ni Todoke. The thing with a harem though, I'm sure you don't want to even create competition of any sort. lol

I just looked up Hatsukoi Limited, and it sounds interesting to me. Is it any good?

Sound Euphonium 12

Great episode. This episode I think I'm finally starting to understand Kumiko's character. There wasn't the drive or determination present in previous episodes and the flashback scene where she remembers Reina's fit from middle school was a great way to demonstrate an unspoken understanding of one another. The scene with Taki sensei was also fantastic. The build up of emotion from supposed failure only to be given a ray of hope. This may be my Ping Pong of this year.

Sterok

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku 12

Well that was fun. Eruna learns about her destined path with Seisa's family (and Shigure's kind of). Does that mean Eruna is related to Seisa? Interesting way to take out the art guy. That was certainly a final battle. I think blowing up the moon is a little overboard girls. I think I liked the club's first name better. And they do all the club stuff together in the epilogue. Cute.

So that was Mikagura. Won't go down in history as a classic, but it was definitely enjoyable. Eruna is the protagonist of the forever, and some of the side cast like Otone and several Drama Club members were good as well. It was all pretty well put together for something based off music videos. Sadly I don't think it ever lived up to its potential. There were so many characters and so much going on that they had to cram things a lot with flashbacks and exposition that didn't let characters get as much development as they would've ideally. Feels like they easily have enough material left for a second season if they wish, though without much buzz it seems unlikely. Ah well. I'll enjoy what we got. Too bad we never learned what really happened with Bimi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just looked up Hatsukoi Limited, and it sounds interesting to me. Is it any good?
I thought so. It tells its story in 12 episodes, so there's not too much of an investment at least. The other characters are important, but you'll see that there's basically one major couple that anchors the show.

It also came out during the period when only half of the shows in a season would get licensed, so I don't know if it's streaming anywhere...

I imagine a lot of people (including myself) stopped watching when there was no more cool-ass sakuga and production values remained low.
But lesbians~.

Cornbread78

Hey Corn have you finished watching Barakamon, the anime I recommended you a while ago?

Shit, no. I completely forgot about it. I'll put this one down to watch. As a comedy, it will be a good break from Full Moon..

I won't be watching much anime next week since I'm on vacation and the wife will have me dealing with erands and chores all week.

Hibike Euphonium 12

There were so many little gemlike moments in this episode. Kumiko and Shuuichi playing together across the water, the instruments bridging the difference between them. Reina and Kaori's serious moment being broken up by Natsuki butting in, complete with Looney Tunes animation. The stillness of the room when everyone was blown away by Asuka nailing the euphonium part that Kumiko struggled so much with. The high/low framing of Kumiko's conversation with the teacher on the stairs. The restraint shown in not overselling the joke of Reina's shock that Kumiko was alone with her beloved teacher.

This accumulation of small moments of brilliance shows that KyoAni, besides being a collection of talented animators, have a stable of supremely gifted directors and a knack for the rhythms of editing. Episode after episode has been stuffed with genius that makes everything else airing this season look embarrassingly unsophisticated.

Arcadius

Banned
Shit, no. I completely forgot about it. I'll put this one down to watch. As a comedy, it will be a good break from Full Moon..

I won't be watching much anime next week since I'm on vacation and the wife will have me dealing with erands and chores all week.

Ooooh Barakamon is soooo much good. One of the first anime I watched!

Cornbread78

Went through more of my "list" today, which of these romances is actually good? Which are garbage? What would your top 3 be? The bolded series that deal with "after graduation" stuff, so those are definates..

-Seto no Hanayome
-Kaichou wa Maid-sama
-School Rumble (1)
-Lovely Complex
-Karin
-Kare Kano
-Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
-Kimikiss Pure Rouge
-Kotoura-san
-Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
-True Tears (1)
-Anohana
-Mysterious Girlfriend X (1)
-Onegai Teacher
-Millennium Actress
-A Lull in the Sea
-Fruits Basket
-vampire knight
Nodame Cantabile
Itazure na kiss

mikagakura is shit, a small glimmer of hope remains for animeGAF if barely anyone watched it

It's so bad, it doesn't pop up om MAL yet, lol

Ooooh Barakamon is soooo much good. One of the first anime I watched!

I always forget about my Hulu list, bit I'll watch it soon.

javac

New Art Work:
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions - Heart Throb
Audio: English 2.0 / Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs)
LjueaJg.jpg

9Rouf6C.jpg

Vampire Hunter D [Sentai]
Run Time: 80 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
3tFv1H9.jpg

fsKg2DD.jpg

The World is Still Beautiful - Complete Series [Sentai]
Release Date: October 6th 2015
Audio: Japanese
G2bOD59.jpg

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - Complete Series [Sentai]
BsOxVIR.jpg

Brynhildr in the Darkness [Sentai]
Audio: English & Japanese
Format: Blu-ray
Os27RNj.jpg

Beyond the Boundary - Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: October 13th 2015
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
J5foozx.jpg

Samurai Jam ~ Bakumatsu Rock - Complete Series [Sentai]
Release Date: October 13th 2015
zQ624ZM.jpg

Space Brothers - Collection 5 [Sentai]
Release Date: October 20th 2015
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
nHaarWK.jpg

Hayate the Combat Butler - Season 2 [Sentai]
Release Date: October 20th 2015
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Five-disc set (5 BDs)
ZxQassP.jpg

Black Bullet - Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: October 27th 2015
Audio: English & Japanese
4c5CjvS.jpg

Blade & Soul - Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: October 27th 2015
oSzEhot.jpg

Of Cornbread's list Anohana is great, Kotoura-san is good but could have been great, and Mysterious Girlfriend X is watchable. Haven't seen or don't recall the rest.

Edit - A Lull in the Sea also excellent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like how some of the titles are completely un-localized because they have no idea what to do with them.

That said, I had no idea that someone was putting out Space Brothers. On BD no less.

Went through more of my "list" today, which of these romances is actually good? Which are garbage? What would you top 5 be? The bolder deal with after graduation stuff, so those are definates..

School Rumble - Enjoyable. Watch it for the comedy more than the romance though. Oh, and the ending is not really good.
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - You're already watching this...
Anohana - One of them sad shows, so I think you should like it.
Onegai Teacher - Hm... It's ok. I like Ah! My Goddess more myself though :p

Not seen the rest

javac

I like how some of the titles are completely un-localized because they have no idea what to do with them.

That said, I had no idea that someone was putting out Space Brothers. On BD no less.

That seems to be a thing that's happening more and more and as I talk to people in the distribution side of things, releasing Anime sub only seems to be more 'viable' these days. I'm kind of glad in a way, as in the past distributors were always scared of releasing something if it didn't have a dub and that limited a lot of shit. Also yeah, I need to watch Space Brothers.

jman2050

Sound! Euphonium 12

This show is really great guys. I enjoyed the way the practice scenes are presented. They're monotonous, but not boring, and every scene serves a purpose in demonstrating the effect her experience in the band and in watching Reina has had on her own ambition. She's no longer just playing for the sake of it, out of some sort of duty or obligation, or perhaps for the sake of a form of camaraderie with her band mates, she's playing because she likes doing so and she wants to improve herself, to become the best there ever was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That seems to be a thing that's happening more and more and as I talk to people in the distribution side of things, releasing Anime sub only seems to be more 'viable' these days. I'm kind of glad in a way, as in the past distributors were always scared of releasing something if it didn't have a dub and that limited a lot of shit. Also yeah, I need to watch Space Brothers.
I think Space Brothers is weird only because it's a long running "shounen" without an ending, so I don't know why you would want to collect it. Like, even One Piece doesn't get home releases afaik.

Cornbread78

Of Cornbread's list Anohana is great, Kotoura-san is good but could have been great, and Mysterious Girlfriend X is watchable. Haven't seen or don't recall the rest.
Edit - A Lull in the Sea also excellent.

Yeah, I have to watch Anohana. I'll have to check out the other two.

School Rumble - Enjoyable. Watch it for the comedy more than the romance though. Oh, and the ending is not really good.
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - You're already watching this...
Anohana - One of them sad shows, so I think you should like it.
Onegai Teacher - Hm... It's ok. I like Ah! My Goddess more myself though :p
Not seen the rest

Lol, I forgot to remove it earlier, but it's gone now. I'll check out Onegai and Ah! My Goddess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom