• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
New Art Work:

FINALLY some shows I have been waiting a long time to come out on bluray. Teasing me with DVD releases the whole damned way. This is almost as bad a wait as the 90s. Companies get your shit together and quit being so greedy.

Yeah, I have to watch Anohana. I'll have to check out the other two.

Lol, I forgot to remove it earlier, but it's gone now. I'll check out Onegai and Ah! My Goddess.

Those are great choices.

cajunator

Banned
No idea I'm not a shounen guy, but that sounds about right I guess. To be honest, 30 episode series make me sweat lol.

I used to think like that but then Cardcaptor Sakura got me to watch 70 episodes. Full Moon got me to watch 52. I dont even remember how many Yakitate Japan is but I watched the whole damned thing! Then more recently I watched Space Brothers all the way. Sometimes its really easy to watch dozens and dozens of episodes if a show is legit good.

Lulz at Black Bullet, aka "lolis die here the show" getting a dub.

True they killed off my favorite character but I still liked this show.

This is the time I hate the most. I get attached to some of these shows and even build schedules around them, only for them to last me 1 season, sometimes 2. It's worse when you watch a 2-cour, which means 24 weeks of this show, almost half a year, and then it ends. Soma and Arslan are gonna hurt when they end in the summer. At least the former I can continue reading in manga form lol

I know that feeling. After particularly amazing series Im left with the most empty feeling. Like, what the hell to follow this up with? Usually I just stop watching anime for a little while to "reset" my emotions and expectations. But some shows end and you're just "WOW. Holy SHIT"

Last Exile

An older series but is it worth getting into?

100% YES. Yes yes yes yes yesssssss

Galaxy Angel AA (Season 3)

Honestly, I'm not even sure what I can say about AA that I haven't said for Galaxy Angel or GA Z. The anime continues to be absolutely funny; never dull or boring and in my case, kept me from falling asleep after some busy days! The gang continues to fit into their personalities quite well and they're still a blast to watch.

Mint and Milfuelle continue to be my favorites of the show, but recently Vanilla has become a star to me. The third season sees a lot more screen time for Vanilla with some episodes dedicated to her, as such, it really makes her a great character, even if she almost never talks. Ranpha and Forte continue to be the two bad asses of the anime and they're always funny to watch, especially when Mint, Ranpha and Forte get into competitions revolving around lost artifacts or events going on in the universe.

The sci-fi aspect of Galaxy Angel is down-right brilliant. It's not deep, is never really explained and has no true purpose aside from having Galaxy Angel take place in an environment that isn't school related. I feel like it works really well too, because so much slice of life is about that high school experience and no offence to all the SoL that do use schools, I love them very much, but a new environment is needed once in a while. (I still love all you animes in school, I really really do (Don't get mad at me)).

Lost Technology plays a bigger role this season, though how we obtain the Lost Technology is typically never showed, instead we're almost always shown how the Galaxy Angel solves the problems set in place by Lost Technology and just about every single scenario we witness is fantastic. Glad to see Lost Technology play a more upfront role.

Music and sound wise: The OP and ED's used might be my favorite of the 3 seasons I've seen thus far and even though the music and ambient sounds and back ground sounds definitely give off a 90's vibe, it totally works, even if they're recycled a bit.

Once again we see the trend of 90%-95% comedic and outright laugh out loud funny episodes in a beautiful episodic format, the other 5%-10% is filled with some serious and more intense episodes. The way these episodes feel and are shown to us is so different from the comedic stuff, it's a little crazy. I still feel that having the serious or darker based episodes (Darker compared to the light and fluffy that GA already gives us) is 100% incredible to do. The stark contrast can really give the viewer a huge adrenaline rush with a good story or great character roles and even though the episodes last 22 minutes or so, you feel more connected and involved whilst watching these types of episodes.

I feel as if Galaxy Angel AA might be my favorite season thus far, I love the OP and ED. I love the wild and crazy episodes we get to witness. I love the character progression and the focuses on Milfuelle and Vanilla. I love the better focus of Lost Technology too.

I guess the only thing I don't like about AA is the inclusion of the Twin Stars Brigade. The two kids aren't bad at all and in most cases can be really funny, I just wasn't expecting Galaxy Angel to cut some focus time away from the Angel Brigade. Even with the Twin Stars, I can't give Galaxy Angel AA any less than a 10/10, fantastic season for sure.

I love how they are always distracted away from searching for the lost technology. they will never find it hehee.
But thats ok I would want to hang out with the Angel Brigade all the time!

cajunator

Banned
I believe this is a recommended anime to watch, so I'd say it's worth getting into. I think it was recommended to me before and pretty sure it's in a thread from the second post. I'd say go for it, as it's in my to watch list, but I haven't watched it and am just spouting words.....

Hell yeah it is! It scratched the steampunk fantasy itch. I also liked Fam (season 2) but a lot of people dont for whatever reason.

Real talk, why is Kyo Ani so damn good at cute things? So many adorable interactions and gestures in Euphonium.

Natsuki senpai stays being awesome. I love how she likes to tease the annoying bow haired girl. I like when the animation gets really whimsical and breaks from the usual art style.

That Kumiko running scene too....wow. *bows*

KyoAni is very very good at it, but Shaft is god tier at producing squees.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 24

Things take a turn for the DTL and
the last Angel has been defeated.

So like, time to shut down NERV I guess?

Here it comes!

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 26

Wow, what an uplifting, motivational finale! I knew you could do it Shinji! You deserve every one of those congratulations!

Now, how are you gonna get out of there?

Eheheheee...
Watch EoE. ASAP. Do it.

QH1RfHS.jpg

Quasar

Euphonium 12 - Lots of actual band playing and practising. Funny how there hasn't really been that much of it for a band anime. Might be my favourite episode.

phaze

You're hitting the bottom of the barrel now dude.

ಠ_ಠ
tina sprout was worth the watch
No.
Pupa could have been special if it wasn't 4 min episodes. Why did I watch both this and that?
I disagree, Pupa was very, very special.

And it actually respects viewers time which is more than you can say for 95% of anime !
Senki Zesshou Symphogear G Episode 13:

I give this season a final rating of The Big Show out of Ten.

I'm surprised you managed to trudge through it all. From a cursory look this seems like Strike Witches pg-13

Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture 09

I'd have to rewatch the arcs I've already seen to make a more informed opinion but if BBB finale falls flat, this might very well be the AOTS. Assuming it even counts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did they remove the Got Anime pricing from product pages on Rightstuf if you don't have a membership?

I'm try to see if a discount would be applied to Dear Brother if I had the membership, but the new store doesn't seem to list any of this information.

Theonik

It would appear that Studio Trigger is confirming the addresses for LWA2 backers. Physical rewards being shipped is imminent. And they still haven't shown us prototypes. Whyyyyy

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So where can I buy tickets for this upcoming RightStuff destroying anime event?
I almost wonder if Anime Sols has to get all the stock back and they destroy them in house, or if they just tell Rightstuf to do it and get photos or videos for verification.

The fact that this is all done for tax reasons is quite strange. I suppose technically someone could outright buy all the stock from the company and then serve as a reseller selling "used" goods. But I'm sure no one wants to stockpile hundreds of Creamy Mami DVDs on the off chance someone will want to buy them down the road.

R.D.Blax

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku - 12

Lol at the moon getting blasted and nobody care at all

Well, it was a fun ride, too bad it wasn't longer. At least Eruna have her dream of being surrounded by cute girl coming true

wonzo

Banned
Did they remove the Got Anime pricing from product pages on Rightstuf if you don't have a membership?

I'm try to see if a discount would be applied to Dear Brother if I had the membership, but the new store doesn't seem to list any of this information.
I've got the Membership Discount listed and it's $40 each.

e: much cheaper than usual due to them getting international shipping prices fixed too!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've got the Membership Discount listed and it's $40 each.

e: much cheaper than usual due to them getting international shipping prices fixed too!
Weird. I wonder why they stopped advertising the prices on the page directly?
Anyway, I guess I need to check to see if I can even get a membership activated before the DVDs are destroyed or whatever. lol

There's a small part of me that wants to get Creamy Mami as well, but the cost of those sets make it prohibitively expensive for something I have only a slight interest in.

wonzo

Banned
Weird. I wonder why they stopped advertising the prices on the page directly?
Anyway, I guess I need to check to see if I can even get a membership activated before the DVDs are destroyed or whatever. lol
I'm p. sure membership is applied to the order if you order it with it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hibike Ephonium 12
Kumiko x Euphonium. I SHIP IT SO HARD!
Great episode. Seeing Kumiko trained so hard in the middle of summer, getting nosebleed, dehydration. Man this show is hardcore. Her emotional outburst (running, crying, screaming) after Taki sensei told Asuka to do the eupho part solo to not halt the assemble training.
That running scene is so gooood!
Nice to see trumpet team already fix their relationship.
Also, lol at Reina reaction when she heard that Kumiko and Taki sensei being alone at school.

cajunator

Banned
The End of Evangelion - 1

WELP.

NERV's being invaded.

Misato's dead.

Ritsuko's dead.

Asuka's screwed.

and Shinji didn't get in the effing robot fast enough to help her out.

Ohhhh man. Just you wait. This is THE END

Probably already posted, but part of the shutdown of Anime Sols means that they need to account for all their stock and destroy them.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-anime-sols-stock-liquidation-at-rightstufcom

If you wanted a hard copy of Creamy Mami, Dear Brother, or Black Jack then you apparently have until the end of the month to do so.

I dont fucking understand why companies have to do this and it pisses me off to no end.
Like once a university technical school was forced to give up a perfectly good Dodge viper to the crusher because it was a prototype. This kind of shit is so wasteful and drives collectors insane.

wonzo

Banned
v3 or whatever, also read the description of the otome version of sleeping with hinako and cant believe i missed that

neregate.com-summer-271soq.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ohhhh man. Just you wait. This is THE END

I dont fucking understand why companies have to do this and it pisses me off to no end.
Like once a university technical school was forced to give up a perfectly good Dodge viper to the crusher because it was a prototype. This kind of shit is so wasteful and drives collectors insane.
The AnimeSols guy said it's for tax reasons. Better to not make any money than to pay taxes I suppose.

Also, I think I'm the only one who finds it funny that Nintendo is basically releasing a DTL version of Fire Emblem and a SDBurton version of Fire Emblem.
(While you have to pay to be bisexual by getting the third story DLC. :p)

e_i

Trigger just sent out the last shipping address confirmation email for LWA 2. So this means they'll be shipping the rewards pretty soon.

The AnimeSols guy said it's for tax reasons. Better to not make any money than to pay taxes I suppose.

Essentially, the partnership company in Japan is dissolving. Instead of having the discs go to one company as assets they'd have to include as a form of revenue, they are being destroyed instead (plus the costs of collecting/shipping/etc). Given the unlikely return on the sets, it makes more sense to destroy them while they are still owned by Sols instead of allowing it to influence another company's revenue/expenses for multiple years. This allows everything to be tied up nicely as Sols. What's surprising is that RightStuf isn't buying up the extra copies and selling them, but that may not be allowed in a contract (the companies are still trying to sell rights and having stock available is not the best influence factor).

It kinda sucks, but pretty much anyone who'd buy these has already done so, so it's not much of a waste at all.

duckroll

Boy, the producers of Under the Dog sure are quick to throw the entire Kickstarter team under the bus... lol.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/22/under-the-dog-getting-an-anime-kickstarter-back-on-track/

[To Morimoto] You were appointed to be Under the Dog’s new producer after Creative Intelligence Arts stepped away from the project. What was the first thing you had to do in your new role?

Koji Morimoto, Producer: What I had to do first was to grasp the financial situation of the project. I needed to make estimates on all the production costs for anime making and physical rewards, as well as grasp how much is needed to run the project as operational expenses. Before I took on the role and responsibility to help produce the specifics of the project, I examined the budget distribution that was already announced during the Kickstarter campaign.

I found out: 1) there is a high possibility of rewards costing more than the initial estimates (since there were expensive rewards such as figurines, etc. being included), and 2) there was practically no budget set aside for the operational costs—probably based on an assumption to rely on works by volunteers. Those were the major concerns for me and that’s why I needed to check the financial aspect of the project first.

Fans that pledge $50 or more will be able to vote for the voice-over actors for the main characters. Are you worried about leaving such a major creative decision up to a fan vote? When a director chooses a voice-actor, it’s because they know the kind of feel they want for a particular character, and also because they recognize the strengths and weaknesses of their actors as well. With a fan vote, the director doesn’t have that level of fine creative control.

KM: As you’ve pointed out, this polling method doesn’t allow much room for creative control. I do not believe at all in fan votes casted to decide on voice actors would contribute positive effects to our creativity. My personal opinion is that it is nothing but 120% harmful. However, the role given to me here is to suggest the best available option there is, based on what has been already decided as the base rules. In this case, therefore, I’m searching for the best possible method that will not damage our creativity.

MO: We’re now carefully discussing with Director Ando for deciding the voice cast for the characters selected by backer polls. We will never ever ignore creator’s opinions to create something with commercial purposes. However, Director Ando also is considering that it is 120% important to keep the promise with our backers, and he’s doing the best he can in incorporating the reward concept. So I can reassure you that there’s nothing for you to worry about!

The Kickstarter page is now listed as owned by Mentat Studios LLC. What is Mentat Studios, and how does this affect Under the Dog?

MO: Since we are nothing but a small anime studio in Japan, we don’t have the know-how on an international-scale anime project targeting global audience such as Under the Dog. Mentat was formed so that we can focus on the actual anime production and complete the UTD project without failure.

As you might be all aware of, we’ve faced some rough times. However, with the help of talented and veteran producers such as Mr. Morimoto and Mr. [Yoshiro] Kataoka from Contra (who is also helping us now), as well as the newly established Mentat, we make sure to deliver the anime work as we promised to our backers!

From their perspective, it sure sounds like Yura made a total mess of things!

Cornbread78

I dont think there has. It would be pretty confusing wouldnt it?

LOL, confusing but fun. Imagine the "situations" the competition, the drama, the feels, lol.

Responses to the ones I know of.
The following are more of comedy than romance:
-Seto no Hanayome - Hilarious. Though the "winner" is pretty much decided from the start, the hijinks of dealing with the mermaid yakuza are pretty great.
-School Rumble - I've only seen the first half, I think, and from what I recall its comedy is certainly romance-based. Solid as a comedy, you're likely to be disappointed if you expect the romance to go anywhere. Kind of like a Nozaki-kun without the shoujo manga shtick, I guess?
-Karin - An amusing take on vampires, but it's largely pretty average. I don't recall there being much competition if at all for the main pairing.
-Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Also a comedy goldmine. You don't really need to watch the Full Metal Panic to get the gist of the relations, either, but romance is largely non-existant here.

For the ones leaning more towards romance:
-Kare Kano - Solid from what I've seen so far, highly regarded by some around here.
-Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - I liked this a lot, but I might be a bit biased here...
-True Tears - The salt this one generates is too real. I felt it was rather grounded and well done overall, and whether you are okay with or hate the show boils down to how you feel about the finale...
-Kimikiss Pure Rouge - It was okay, though it basically boils down to two dudes each deciding between two separate girls within their circle. If teenagers being unsure of their feelings makes you mad (and from what I've seen, it very much does), you probably won't like this.
-A Lull in the Sea - Beautiful show, but might not be for you for similar reasons listed above.

Other:
-Anohana - Not particularly a romance, but a rather polarizing tear-jerker. You'll probably like this one if you enjoyed Kanon and Clannad.

Damn, that is a great breakdown, Thank you!

Maid-sama is excellent.

It's at the top of so many lists.......

Yayyyyyy *squeaks
This is an arc with Madoka in it a lot I think. Their rivalry and all that.
I like her rendition of Eternal Snow which is more pop, although less heartfelt.
Rumbling Hearts is excessively melodramatic I think. One of my least favorite drama anime. Clannad and Kanon are much better shows.

Yeah, this arc has a LOT of that brat Madoka. She needs to be torn a new one....
Rumbling hearts got very melodramatic really quickly. I mean, in a freaky kind of way....

Honestly I dont think you'd like Rumbling Hearts much.

A lot of those are hit and miss but you absolutely have to watch Millennium Actress. It is a phenomenal movie. One of my favorite things. not just anime. not just movies. THINGS.

Millennium is on my list since I've heard it is really good. Hopefully, I'll get to it shortly.

Actually, I'm not sure you'd like Ah! My Goddess if you're just looking for romance. It's more of a slower paced show. Arcadius might like it though!

Alrighty then, sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom