• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

you didnt have a harem of grade 10s when you were in grade 12?

what were you doing with your time?
In the start at least no one is falling in love with him or he doesn't have a hot childhood friend that he doesn't acknowledge as a girl to date. He's good so far but man I feel dumb about how I felt like him at times during high school.

cajunator

Banned
Between that and the recent best selling status of the new 50 Shades of Gray novel, I have come to the conclusion that anime wasn't a mistake. No. Rather the mistake is the written word. It's nothing but trash and we should clearly all go back to telling stores around campfires to spread the history of the human race. It's not like writing things down has helped us learn any better from past mistakes right?

Studio 4C are masters at avoiding the written word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rilk4RvyIOk

Squid Girl S2 06

Squii~

squiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
*HUGGLES IT SOOOOO MUCH

End of Evangelion - 2

So yeah, it pretty much went like that.

Im kinda disappointed that you arent reacting more.

I think this has the lowest rating I've ever seen on MAL at 5.85/10... ummm..

Btw, Haruna is a cute character and it's fun watching her beat up Riki, lol

Ultimate girls is an incredible parody of...lots of things. Its just amazing. Amazingly right, and amazingly wrong!

Cornbread78

I very rarely talk about shows I'm not watching - I'm not watching them, what's the point? - but I'm being an objector to Gate for the reason that an anime about Japan engaging with the government of a fantasy world already exists that does the concept in a way much more suited to my tastes.

Outbreak Company.

It has Arakawa. It has one of the most whimsical OPs I've heard. And it shows how diplomacy and spreading culture can be more effective than shooting people. Even in academia today, people are using comics and genre fiction as learning tools, treating them with the same amount of respect as any other text. And an anime that says anime has the potential to do the same?

That's worth supporting.

And that reminds me. Cornbread. Add Magician's Academy to your queue. It's from the same author as Outbreak Company/Chaika, but far more cartoony in its style.

Man, I want a second season of Outbreak Company. The maid was awesome!

Phatmac

Gintama 138

What a weird episode. It's not surprising at all for this show though, an episode about Gintoki's backstory? Expecting some kind of story about his samurai days? lolnope here's an episode with all the important scenes replaced by these black guys

I didn't finish any of those and I'm doing fine
I hope you enjoy the teasing about his backstory as it goes on for FAR too long.

cajunator

Banned
They started it off shakey while trying to discreetly give you the "rules of the world" with the "wonderer" information and the lifespan for the Giftia as well as some general comedy. However, once they got to the relationship building with Isla and Tsukasa's, they did an amazing job putting you through their struggles and triumphs of learning to love one another despite the grim outcome. In my opinion, the character development of Isla alone is well worth watching the series. I mean Japan did have her above Hestia on that waifu chart, lol.

So yeah, I hope I can make it through with a smile on my face, however, *snif snif*.... I just can't....

You will especially like Your Lie in April. Little Busters and especially "refrain" takes you on a fun journey with lots of feels and some drama, then goes complete mindfuck, then explodes with greatness as the ending plays out. It's just amazing...

It seems to have the same sense of dread that I felt watching Saikano, knowing what would probably happen and expecting the worst yet hoping some small sliver of possibility for a happy ending.

Finally caught up to Shokugeki no Soma after hearing how good it is despite all the fan service. While it's a predictable cooking style show with tons of tropes it has a lot of heart. It's also a challenge for me as my cooking isn't good but the show is inspiring me to get better at it. With all that said Megumi is the real reason to watch it if you don't like everything else though.

Yes Megumi alone makes it worth watching but the show has so many great things that will hook a person.

It's starting to sink in now. In a few days SNAFU2 will end. In a few days DanMachi will end. And so will Plastic Memories. And UBW. The first 2 we probably won't hear anything about for the next 2 or 3 years. The 3rd is going to end in tears and breaking everyone's heart. UBW will be getting Heaven's Feel apparently, but when? Who knows. Shitty times we are in AnimeGAF. Can we all hug or some shit when it's all over?

Not for me! I keep getting distracted away and have lots to watch!

That's actually been sitting in my Crunchy queue untouched for months now. It's just a comedy about an otaku husband, right?

Dude. WATCH this show. Underappreciated anime of the past two seasons. Very pleasant surprise. Hilarious and adorable.

Hope you like lewdness, because hedonism is coming.

Another season of He Is My Master is coming out?

cajunator

Banned
After we're done our group therapy session from Plastic Memories, we need to have another group hug session for the rest of them..

My first full season will have passed, have I done well AnimeGAF?

You have been exposed to anime dosage far exceeding the normal healthy levels. But thats fine because you just started. Take it all in. FInd out what you like and dont like.

Next season will have Yamada being Yamada and that'll make summer season worth it.

I want to spoil Yamada again!
and again.

God eater has made me realize that Fate Zero was a one hit wonder for the studio.

It's their Hyouka. Their Jesse's mom. And god damn FZ had it going on.

Please dont insult Fate Zero like that.

Phatmac

Ughhhhhhhh I don't think I can keep watching SNAFU with how awful Yukinon is. She takes every opportunity to shit on Hachiman when he hasn't said it done anything wrong. Fuck this bitch. All of them are exceedingly cruel to Hachiman for no reason. The study group scene would've ended our relationship if you saw a person as a nuisance after being together for so long. Poor Hachiman.

cajunator

Banned
I very rarely talk about shows I'm not watching - I'm not watching them, what's the point? - but I'm being an objector to Gate for the reason that an anime about Japan engaging with the government of a fantasy world already exists that does the concept in a way much more suited to my tastes.

Outbreak Company.

It has Arakawa. It has one of the most whimsical OPs I've heard. And it shows how diplomacy and spreading culture can be more effective than shooting people. Even in academia today, people are using comics and genre fiction as learning tools, treating them with the same amount of respect as any other text. And an anime that says anime has the potential to do the same?

That's worth supporting.

And that reminds me. Cornbread. Add Magician's Academy to your queue. It's from the same author as Outbreak Company/Chaika, but far more cartoony in its style.

Outbreak Company was so much fun! It was like anime saying, "we know you're enjoying this. Here's a treat!"
Man that show makes me so happy.

But this on the other hand..its dumb. what the hell is this?

Gintama 139

Oh hey it's the girl everyone ships Gintoki with.

This arc seems pretty neat from the first episode but why is Shishio from Ruroni Kenshin in this? And he's a Yato, I didn't really expect that plot line to actually mean anything in the long run since the Amanto stuff was pretty much dropped.

cajunator

Banned
Well to be honest, I was spoiled on the ending to EoE long before I watched it, so I couldn't really react in the way you wanted me to, lol.

I'll probably write up my thoughts on it and the franchise later, though.

Awww. But at least you watched it anyway hehee
Its quite a landmark event in anime, whether people like it or hate it. Absolutely unforgettable.

This scene always makes me irrationally happy.

Phatmac

Gintama 139

Oh hey it's the girl everyone ships Gintoki with.

This arc seems pretty neat from the first episode but why is Shishio from Ruroni Kenshin in this? And he's a Yato, I didn't really expect that plot line to actually mean anything in the long run since the Amanto stuff was pretty much dropped.
Tsukuyo makes the show so much better plus this is one of my favorite arcs so enjoy it!

Angel Beats OVA 2

Oh jeez, has it really already been 5 years? Felt kind of nice seeing the entire cast again, and listening to the OP/ED as well. If only the original run had more episodes like this to show off the cast instead of being rushed through a single cour.

cajunator

Banned
Btw, Mizushima Tsutomu is wondering if he want to make a WW2 planes anime, will anyone invest in it.
And ask which plane is fit for MC lol.
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/613365168093818880

Can't go wrong with the Bf109 and the rival would fly a Spitfire.

But the MC of his buddy Nogami's Shindenkai No Maki is flying a N1K2-J Shidenkai.

Well...I approve of this!
But it would be stepping on Strike Witches toes wouldnt it?

cajunator

Banned
Snafu 01

Ok the art is shockingly bad, but Im kind of into it. Yukinoshita is cool but Im still not really sure what the show is really about yet. Hachiman seems a typical loserish lead and he has joined this club with the school's prettiest girl but Ive seen that exact scenario before.
What makes this one stand out? Well except for the fact that Yui is cuuuuuuuuute.

Oh come on. It was fun! Isnt that all it needed to be with such a ridiculous premise?

Well I probably would've liked it if I considered it fun. This was some terrible attempt at comedy instead. It's random wackiness can't even compare to e.g. Punchline from this season and other than that they just recycled their character jokes (hey look, Kanie and angry mascot-guy are doing their slapstick routine again! -yawn-).

Lain

Received my Cowboy Bebop Bluray collection and it's pretty good
and, as if to thank me for the purchase, the company has announced some latecast for the summer like Ping Pong or the 1968 Dororo and the simulcast of stuff like Shimoseka and Prison School. Take all my money Dynit (and give me BRDs for Psycho-Pass S2 and Fate UBW!!)!

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works S2 24

YES! This is the apex I wanted to see!
Really nice battle between Shiro and Gilgamesh and that
Archer appearance
, so cool! Especially the last part before
he faded away
. My beloved Saber didn't get to show off as much as I would have loved but she was still cool.

cajunator

Banned
Received my Cowboy Bebop Bluray collection and it's pretty good

and, as if to thank me for the purchase, the company has announced some latecast for the summer like Ping Pong or the 1968 Dororo and the simulcast of stuff like Shimoseka and Prison School. Take all my money Dynit (and give me BRDs for Psycho-Pass S2 and Fate UBW!!)!

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works S2 24

YES! This is the apex I wanted to see!
Really nice battle between Shiro and Gilgamesh and that
Archer appearance
, so cool! Especially the last part before
he faded away
. My beloved Saber didn't get to show off as much as I would have loved but she was still cool.

This is a japanese bluray collection?

Mandelbo

Well I probably would've liked it if I considered it fun. This was some terrible attempt at comedy instead. It's random wackiness can't even compare to e.g. Punchline from this season and other than that they just recycled their character jokes (hey look, Kanie and angry mascot-guy are doing their slapstick routine again! -yawn-).

Eh, I can't say I agree. My expectations for it going in was dumb stuff happening in a theme park, and in that respect it delivered and was consistently entertaining to me.

Ascheroth

It sounded exactly like the kind of harem self-insert fantasy where main character gets teleported into a fantasy world as a super powerful wizard who goes on to have everyone worship how awesome he is. Was that a wrong impression of mine?

I'm not completely up to date with all the books, but here are my thoughts on what I've read sofar:

Yes, the MC is completely overpowered and so are his subordinates. That comes with being an overlord, I guess :p
But he also behaves like an overlord and that's really refreshing. He isn't an average stupid dense guy who acts on impulse alone. He is intelligent, cold and calculating. Everything he does, he does because he wants something out of it.
As for the harem part: I never really got that feeling from the novel. Yeah, there are some harem-ish parts for sure, but it's not in your face and annoying. He is the overlord and his subordinates worship him, like it should be. And no, his subordinates not only consist of beautiful girls, there are all kinds of things. And the reason why they look and act the way they do is actually pretty interesting and clever.

I guess you could say that him being the overlord is a power-fantasy or something, but I never really got that feeling, so whatever *shrugs*.
Maybe the latter books go down that route or the anime shoves that part in your face, I don't know. But I'd say, give it a try.

Can we blame OreImo for that, or are there earlier examples?

I've read somewhere that the reason for those stupid overlong titles is because people don't even read the blurb on the back so your only chance to get peoples interest is the cover and the name.
That's why they try to pack as much description in it as possible, while making it sound unique and interesting and such.
And they can get away with the length of the title because the Japanese shorten everything anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Well thats an interesting reason for long title names.
I didnt know that.
Oreimo popularized those lengthy title names as far as I know.

Cornbread78

Snafu 01

Ok the art is shockingly bad, but Im kind of into it. Yukinoshita is cool but Im still not really sure what the show is really about yet. Hachiman seems a typical loserish lead and he has joined this club with the school's prettiest girl but Ive seen that exact scenario before.
What makes this one stand out? Well except for the fact that Yui is cuuuuuuuuute.

Nice. Just keep watching and you'll understand as they start to do work. .

phaze

Btw, Mizushima Tsutomu is wondering if he want to make a WW2 planes anime, will anyone invest in it.
And ask which plane is fit for MC lol.
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/613365168093818880

Corsair or no sale.

The Big O 24-26

Based Konaka. Only he can repeatedly pull the rug from beneath the viewer's feet in the last 10 minutes of the series. At the moment I don't even care much about the vagueness of the ending or how much or how little sense all those twists make, I'm just thankful for the mind scrambling ride these last 3 episodes have been. Almost Ergo Proxy tier.

Vito

Banned
Shirobako v7 by ponkan8

AntiMagic Academy “The 35th Test Platoon” starts in October. Cast:

Takeru Kusanagi: Yoshimasa Hosoya
Ōka Ōtori: Reina Ueda
Usagi Saionji: Rumi Ookubo
Ikaruga Suginami: Ryoko Shiraishi

Finally I decided to start Snafu.
I procrastinate a whole lot and buzzfeed is the most addictive youtube channel ever.

Snafu 01

Now you are in the club! Yay!

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories Opening Song:

Ring of Fortune
Vocals: Sasaki Eri
Lyrics: Hayashi Naotaka
Composition / Arrangement: Chiba “naotyu-” Naoki

Collect the light…

Somewhere far away, a dream
Of watching memories of goodbyes, deep within my eyes…
Transient memories that will eventually break down.
Let’s wipe away these tears of loneliness.

Your outstretched arms are a ferris wheel;
Enclose me, gently.
Fragments of memories, on the brink of waking up…
I’ve been praying that I could cast my eyes down and disappear,

But you found this voice in me.
The needle of the clock has begun to move – soon enough, color will come to the world.
This plastic heart will shine.
Don’t forget; please, remember,
Until the day we meet again, someday.

Closing Lyrics:
I searched for you, having lost your way, drowning out the voices that called after me;
That hand I grasped tightly was shaking.
Our thoughts consist of time we can never get back, so we’ll embrace them and fly on high:
A kaleidoscope sparkles in the sky, and you’re smiling awkwardly – I’m filled with love and affection.
Before this light begins to fade, I’ll wish from the bottom of my heart… to never forget this moment, for all eternity.
The clock’s hand moves on and you say I’ve been smiling through the pain,
Seeing right through me as you pull me close – before the dawn.
These feelings that are building leave their burns as each second passes – I’ll string them across the sky!
Passing your fingers through a ring of light, you frolic happily about – the world is shining!
Even once this magic moment takes its leave, the bonds we swore to will live on within our hearts!
These countless days I’ve spent with you; when we reflect on them, look: they’re vivid as a star mine!
The sunrise is in rainbow color – after the festival, I steep in your lingering memory.
Embracing that warmth, I’ll begin to walk, giving thanks to this miracle;
Hoping that we’ll someday meet again!
When a kaleidoscope sparkled in the sky, you were smiling awkwardly – I’m filled with love and affection.
Before that light began to fade, I swore from the bottom of my heart… to never forget this moment, for all eternity.
Blooming wildly in the distance, a star mine colors the skies.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not too often you find songs that not only have the correct melody for the show they are created for, but also how the lyrics fit into the story...

3 day countdown to pain..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom