• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I thought School Days had made me numb to everything in life until I watched Clannad a month or so ago and bawled like a baby. My immunity is growing weaker the older I get. God damnit.
See the reason why I am immune to sad endings is because Berserk has been put on infinite hiatus so I had PLENTY of sad time. Whenever I any see any sad anime ending I just think, "Can't be sadder than the Berserk Hiatus."

See the reason why I am immune to sad endings is because Berserk has been put on infinite hiatus so I had PLENTY of sad time. Whenever I any see any sad anime ending I just think, "Can't be sadder than the Berserk Hiatus."
So I guess in a way it's like me and Hyouka season 2. In your case it's worse because you didn't get a resolution though.

cajunator

Banned
I thought School Days had made me numb to everything in life until I watched Clannad a month or so ago and bawled like a baby. My immunity is growing weaker the older I get. God damnit.

We are soooo screwed. It's going to hit hard like a truck.

I can handle it. Im just afraid for others.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So I guess in a way it's like me and Hyouka season 2. In your case it's worse because you didn't get a resolution though.

You won't believe how many years fans have waited on the longest boat ride to place that probably doesn't exist.

iKwMFI2z2K0dW.jpg

This must be how HxH fans feel like.

Cornbread78

I havent seen much of the show yet but I hope Yui niceboat's everyone.

Just a reminder that Cajun is actively watching S1, so we all need to be super careful tomorrow afternoon of spoilers!!!

This place may explode tomorrow into Sat. for that very reason Cajun. .. Don't click on any SNAFU posts unless we are responding to you because tomorrow is the finale for the next couple years..

Quasar

Yeah. Anime can pretty easily get me to tear up. Never happens with live action and I have no idea why exactly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
do not listen to dimb. Watch the anime.
Literally everything about the manga is better. The story it tells is better. The art is vastly superior. Even across multiple studios the anime interpretation lacks life. When it does deviate from the manga it is for the worse. When it follows the manga it botches things. Genshiken is a really long series that is easier to consume in its manga format, and doing so allows you to experience the content in its best iteration.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The AnimeSols guy said it's for tax reasons. Better to not make any money than to pay taxes I suppose.

Also, I think I'm the only one who finds it funny that Nintendo is basically releasing a DTL version of Fire Emblem and a SDBurton version of Fire Emblem.
(While you have to pay to be bisexual by getting the third story DLC. :p)

Calling it now, my version will be superior. You're welcome.

Cornbread78

Bitter or not, whatever taste they are they won't be good. I feel like DanMachi, SNAFU and then Plastic Memories all ending is going to hurt a lot.

Seriously, SNAFU is going to be intense if we go by the closing monolog. I'm going to need help when we lose Isla's smiling face and they better not kill of Ryu. It would be either her or Welf that could.... Hopefully not though, the show has not been the doom and gloom type so far and from the way it sounds, this is just an intro series to much larger story incoming...

*sniff*

“I hope one day, you'll be reunited with the person you cherish.”
-Isla

*sniff*

Euphonium Blu-ray v1

I can't say why, but it surprised me to see comments from the staff for each of the first two episodes. Kinda cute to see Akitake admit Asuka was his favorite given his work in episode 1 when the fandom went crazy for her. I admit I was not prepared for Shoko Ikeda's preliminary designs for Hazuki and Sapphire. Hazuki with twintails and Sapphire looking like a shojo manga character really took my breath away. So cute. The rest of the booklet was good background information that I hope gets brought over in PonyCan's release.

The short was...short. Nothing exceptional, but I did enjoy the hilarious misconceptions from Hazuki. Definitely felt like Ishihara's direction. The two clips featuring the live performance from the Senzoku Gakuen Freshman Wind Ensemble (college freshmen) were incredibly great to see. It's fascinating to compare to what the animators did and how accurate they were. I was enthralled. The PVs brought back fond memories, especially the one that was shown at the KyoAni Comiket booth. I still love that one despite how inaccurately fitting it is for the series.

Lastly, I have to mention the video/audio. I give the NA companies a lot of complaints over these two aspects because it's so apparent to see the clarity of color and depth of sound on the JP discs. This show looks utterly fantastic with these discs. I've not gone through and done a full check for banding issues, but the OP looks fantastic. There's just no comparison when you see what gets put out by any NA company (even Crunchy suffers a lot).

(The KyoAni booklet has a lot of nice key frames and a few BG artwork. They're all lovely.)

PunchLine - 12

Enjoyable ..
it's a good show but far from being one of the best thing this writter has come up with .

Punchline was alright , good characters , not enough plot twists ( not nearly enough ) , but it had good animation and a fun premise. It's a shame that the prologue is so long but they still managed to do something good with it.

BUt don't be fooled, 9,9,9 , VLR or ever 17 are much more superior experiences.

cajunator

Banned
Literally everything about the manga is better. The story it tells is better. The art is vastly superior. Even across multiple studios the anime interpretation lacks life. When it does deviate from the manga it is for the worse. When it follows the manga it botches things. Genshiken is a really long series that is easier to consume in its manga format, and doing so allows you to experience the content in its best iteration.

Whether the manga is good or not, he asked about the anime in an anime discussion thread. Feel free to recommend the manga in the manga thread if you wish.

Code Geass Akito the Exiled 2

The rocket takeoff scene and the slow transition to night the higher it goes was cool, and I always love it when scenes in space have no sound. The scene where they emerge from the Knightmare's from the head of the rockets was amazing too. Speaking of how this looks, it looks really, really good. All the battles are a spectacle to watch, and the way the Knightmares move and transform is all excellent.

As for the plot. With the Wyvern squad, you are asking me a lot to believe the Eleven rebels would be trusted at all, with multiple attempts to backstab Leila and Akito. Speaking of Akito and Leila, for something called Akito the Exiled it seems like Leila is way more the main character then Akito. Maybe this changes later. The Geass put on Akito by his brother seems to work kind of like Suzaku's "live" command, which I assume is intentional given Akito's command is "die." Why someone who's Geass appears to work like Lelouche's worked like that I don't know, it probably has some special caveat that makes it different from Lelouche's, considering it spread to the rest of the Wyvern squad.
It must have really sucked for the people watching this as it came out to be briefly teased with Suzaku, Not-Lelouche and C.C. and then nothing for years. Oh wait, C.C. was in the preview for this and then not even in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That suit up scene with Leila was ridiculous, felt like I was watching Triage X or some shit but I guess it wouldn't be Geass without random ass shots of women with green hair

Arcadius

Banned
Rocket Girls

I've tried writing a review for this at least 4 times now and I just can't gather my words to make sense. I picked up Rocket Girls expecting a cute slice of life about cuties who do things with rockets..... What I ended up watching was an amazing and incredible anime about becoming astronauts.

Rocket Girls takes place on Solomon Island where we have three girls, Yukari, Matsuri and Akane as our mega cute astronauts. At first, the story seems to be very slice of life, but within the first 10 minutes, there is clearly something more at work here. Yukari is trying to find her father, but gets forced into an odd situation where becoming an astronaut will help her find him. The training is grueling, the situations are far fetched,
and everything happens really quickly.

Honestly, I don't know how to write the story down in a way that makes sense without it being a straight up dissection of Rocket Girls. It's best if I just say that Rocket Girls isn't what you'll expect it to be, it's full of great twists and many heartfelt moments. I teared up a lot as the anime was reaching it's end and then the last episode happens and I almost cried. It's a cute story, but it's not a slice of life, in-fact I'd go as far as taking Rocket Girls seriously for when the serious moments happen, because it's very tense and has drama that will make you want to watch the entire show in one sitting.

Art style, Rocket Girls is one of the most beautiful anime I have ever seen. Bright, vibrant and absolutely radiant colors explode off the screen, it's such a visual treat. The animation I feel is really really good too, though I found the CG scenes to be pretty poor for the most part.

Sound/Music: Off the walls great music. I need to find an OST or something because everything that was played was just fantastic. Every single song and sound that we hear in Rocket Girls is top notch, presented well and played beautifully. Everything makes sense and there are clear reasons for what is being played and why.

....... I really don't know why this one is giving me a hard time to write things down for, I guess I just feel really impacted and can't write anything good down at all.

I guess I'll just say that Rocket Girls is a really good show that does a great job of mixing comedy (I laughed out loud so many times), drama/tension, heartfelt moments and cuties. Come for the girls, stay for the story and characters.

The girls are really really cute too, especially their astronaut outfits, love love love it!!!

kewlmyc

Watch Plastic Memories have a happy ending and fool us all.

Meanwhile SNAFU has a Pie ending and tells everyone to read the LN for the real ending.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Whether the manga is good or not, he asked about the anime in an anime discussion thread. Feel free to recommend the manga in the manga thread if you wish.
you have done absolutely nothing to provide insight to the situation or bring forward even a single detail to support your position. instead you are actively telling me to go away when i bring forward an informed opinion. congratulations for continuing to serve as a sore on this thread and regularly reminding me why i so actively dislike it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Don't worry , we both know what is the superior version , right camarade ?

TL NOTE : Camarade means nakama.

LOL

Looking at the allies in our version, I'm kinda miffed we don't have more to choose from in regards to same-sex relationships. I mean look at this:

*not really spoilers, just names of the characters but for those that want to remain uninformed, I'll hide them*
Hinoka: tomboyish lancer cutie
Sakura: pure flower type
Hana: samurai waifu
Orochi: sexy spellcaster
Rinkah: ABS FOR DAYS, YOU CAN COOK AN EGG ON THOSE THINGS MY GOD!!
Oboro: lancer waifu
Kagerou: female ninja, awww yisssss
Setsuna: female archer? PIERCE MY HAAAAATO!

Cornbread78

Meanwhile SNAFU has a Pie ending and tells everyone to read the LN for the real ending.

Her diary would be the key to any potential "happy ending." It would to be friends a refurbished Isla reading the diary.... That would at least soften the blow..

I believe all the material in this final episode is from the new LN thar releases this week. S3 would be based off future novels, but us years away from anime production. They better give us some kind of closure to the current arcs if it's just an open ending with no resolution, thete will be riots on this board any many others, lol.

wonzo

Banned
you have done absolutely nothing to provide insight to the situation or bring forward even a single detail to support your position. instead you are actively telling me to go away when i bring forward an informed opinion. congratulations for continuing to serve as a sore on this thread and regularly reminding me why i so actively dislike it.
agreed

LOL

Looking at the allies in our version, I'm kinda miffed we don't have more to choose from in regards to same-sex relationships. I mean look at this:

*not really spoilers, just names of the characters but for those that want to remain uninformed, I'll hide them*
Hinoka: tomboyish lancer cutie
Sakura: pure flower type
Hana: samurai waifu
Orochi: sexy spellcaster
Rinkah: ABS FOR DAYS, YOU CAN COOK AN EGG ON THOSE THINGS MY GOD!!
Oboro: lancer waifu
Kagerou: female ninja, awww yisssss
Setsuna: female archer? PIERCE MY HAAAAATO!

Rinkah design is A+ but not even snoo snoo can pull me away from my Nohr destiny

Arcadius

Banned
Now now folks, let's not argue! Cajun, recommended a manga shouldn't be so bad, if the reasons for it are worth it. Dimb, Cajun isn't a sore (in any way) to this thread, that's pretty harsh.

What's with the tension between you two? I'd personally want someone to tell me to read the manga or play the VN if it was better or helped expand the anime world, that shouldn't be so bad to recommend.

I don't like this =(.

Sorry for butting in, ignore me.

kewlmyc

To be fair, you didn't answer the question whatsoever. The user asked what was the watching order, and you said read the manga. That wasn't what the user asked.

The order for watching Genshiken is:

1. Genshiken
2. Genshiken OVA
3. Genshiken 2
4. Genshiken Second Season

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

Her diary would be the key to any potential "happy ending." It would to be friends a refurbished Isla reading the diary.... That would at least soften the blow..

I believe all the material in this final episode is from the new LN thar releases this week. S3 would be based off future novels, but us years away from anime production. They better give us some kind of closure to the current arcs if it's just an open ending with no resolution, thete will be riots on this board any many others, lol.
I'd be down for OVA releases after the LNs release. It work in both medium's favour, the readers would read day one and then watch the OVA, while anime watchers would watch the OVAs and maybe after buy the LNs. This would also mean we would be getting some material much faster.

cajunator

Banned
Now now folks, let's not argue! Cajun, recommended a manga shouldn't be so bad, if the reasons for it are worth it. Dimb, Cajun isn't a sore (in any way) to this thread, that's pretty harsh.

What's with the tension between you two? I'd personally want someone to tell me to read the manga or play the VN if it was better or helped expand the anime world, that shouldn't be so bad to recommend.

I don't like this =(.

No worries Arcy.

To be fair, you didn't answer the question whatsoever. The user asked what was the watching order, and you said read the manga. That wasn't what the user asked.

1. Genshiken
2. Genshiken OVA
3. Genshiken 2

Exactly what I was saying.
HE didnt ask "should I watch the anime or read the manga" he asked what order to watch, which I told him. Although I did swap around Genshiken 2 and second season. It gets confusing how they are named. The most recent Second season has Hato in it and a lot of new characters.

Midonin

Comical Psychosomatic Medicine wrapped up today, and holds the unique title of being the most educationally lewd show I've seen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

1. Genshiken
2. Genshiken OVA
3. Genshiken 2

There is something to be said about reading the manga in that Genshiken 2 ends at about volume 7 (or was it 9?) of the manga and there is no adaptation of the ending of the series. The Second Season (although I call it TNG) occurs after the events of the original manga and assumes you have read it.

That's not a good sign. Dammit, Crunchy's simucasts have spoiled me. I need to watch SNAFU as soon as possible.
It's a time skip to 10 years later and he's a stay at home dad helping Sensei raise their kids.

Believe.

wonzo

Banned
telling someone to read the source material instead because it's quicker and better is a perfectly valid answer

Let's think about the positives right? If things end up badly, with the anime as popular as it is, a season 3 is a sure lock to give it a nice ending. Right? That's positive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom