• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen Marnie, but I feel like comparing it to Inside Out is kind of unfair.

When I read impressions of Marnie, I get the impression that it's some deep film with a lot of melancholic scenes. Not that any of this is a bad thing, I'm sure it's all done very well. But I get the impression that it's more of a film that adults would enjoy more than kids would.

Inside Out on the other hand, is a film for all ages. Kids and adults alike can laugh at the cleverness of its jokes, cry at its genuine sad scenes, and enjoy the film as a whole.

Maybe Marnie does the whole psychological aspect better, but Inside Out plays its cards correctly to allow itself to appeal to a wider audience.

All in all, they're both good movies (assuming I find Marnie to be good), and arguing which one is better seems pointless to me.

I'll just copy something I wrote elsewhere:

Part of the reason I feel this way about Inside Out is my recent watch of When Marnie Was There. There are quite a few similarities between the two films: they're both animated PG family films with female leads and no villains. They both involve a preteen struggling with her emotions who over the course of the film works through them and finds healing. When Marnie Was There feels a lot more nuanced and complex in its treatment of emotions and their effect on the protagonist though, and a lot more genuine in its portrayal of its characters. Its magical realism keeps things grounded yet mysterious, in contrast to the colorful spectacle of Inside Out's mental world, which can feel at odds with the real world scenes. While I appreciated Inside Out's portrayal of a loving family, the relationship between Riley and her parents is rather sketchy, in contrast to When Marnie Was There, whose portrayal of the protagonist Anna's relationship with her relatives makes for a more fleshed out and so more effective exploration of the concept and importance of family bonds. Of course, When Marnie Was There is not the stuff of which hit blockbusters are made, being resolutely committed to its low-key character drama, and I do appreciate Inside Out for, while following a blockbuster formula in many ways, dealing with serious personal issues which most blockbusters don't even approach. Still, while watching it, I couldn't help feeling that When Marnie Was There treated quite a few of the themes Inside Out treats in a more consistent and successful manner.

I'm not saying Inside Out is bad - certainly not - but I think it's fair to examine some of the compromises it makes in the process of seeking its large audience.

Code Geass Akito the Exiled 1

Okay, finally getting to watch this. The first episode wasn't super enthralling but it feels like a good setup. The animation and CGI are really good, the scene with the attack on the Highway was great.

Next episode I saw Suzaku and C.C. so I'm interested to see how that goes, especially with this dude who appears to have Lelouche's Geass. I don't even know when this takes place. Between R1 and R2 apparently? Does that even make sense? Can they fill in this many hour long episodes and not contradict themselves later on in R2?

Also boobies because why not

Man what is up with that show, the animation in that webm, Jesus.

wasshoi

javac

I mean I don't keep up with this stuff, but I do remember the initial pictures and other various material that I saw from a cursory glance and such that they had for the show were what you'd expect from a show called 'Ninja Slayer', so I'm guessing it was a bait and switch and this isn't in tone or indicative of the 'source material'? Is there an art to it or was it Trigger phoning it in, or is this truly the power of Trigger? More importantly, why do I care. I remember LWA being decent for what it's worth.

EDIT: What the heck, its 26 episodes, boy I bet this gets old quick.

Midonin

Etotama 12

If Show By Rock proved that Pixar-ish CGI has a place in modern anime, than Etotama proved that cel-shaded CGI can shape the future. Both of them used Nendoroid-style proportions in order to make things easier, but it's all about having the right tool in the right place. In some ways, this finale reminded me of Mikagura's, but with a somewhat more epic scale. Really, really enjoyable series. The combination of cool battles, Muromi-style humor, and cuteness is a winning combination. Plus, all those character songs.

Punchline 12

I have no experience with Uchikoshi's work, but I really enjoyed this. A combination of many aspects of Japanese pop culture, wordplay, and a conspiracy theory time loop... pretty fun. The finale felt like it left a few things hanging, but it wrapped up satisfactorily enough for me.
Mikatan/Chiyoko
got her happy ending, and the bright future is all but assured. Thursdays were my favorite day this season, and I wonder if that can be kept up for next.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I mean I don't keep up with this stuff, but I do remember the initial pictures and other various material that I saw from a cursory glance and such that they had for the show were what you'd expect from a show called 'Ninja Slayer', so I'm guessing it was a bait and switch and this isn't in tone or indicative of the 'source material'? Is there an art to it or was it Trigger phoning it in, or is this truly the power of Trigger? More importantly, why do I care. I remember LWA being decent for what it's worth.

Do you remember Inferno Cop?

Puruzi

Banned

It was an extreme bait and switch.

tumblr_nmxq7aUipE1roq9zlo1_400.gif

KanameYuuki

I just finished Hunter x Hunter chimera ant arc, man I loved every second of it, the ending got me crying so much, I had no idea the anime was so good, but I'm almost going to watch it all T~T

Midonin

Unfortunately, I still haven't seen past episode 2 of Nanoha Vivid for reasons. I'll get around to it if it ever gets finished in a non-anon way, but for now it's going to have to remain one of my very few unfinished anime.

javac

Do you remember Inferno Cop?
I...never watch it :$ Same director right?
It was an extreme bait and switch.

tumblr_nmxq7aUipE1roq9zlo1_400.gif

See that's kinda funny in a silly way (I guess the voices in my head make it funnier than it actually is lol), but surly it should be a 1 episode little thing on YouTube and not a whole thing with 26 12 min episodes, but I haven't seen it so I can't say. I'm not too bothered anyways, just thought that it was weird. You do you *thumbs up*

cajunator

Banned
Arietty was okay, it's not my favorite Ghibli film, but it was cute and very pretty to watch.

I think people shouldn't compare the sources to the films since they can be so different, just take it as inspiration really.

Should really get to watching those films...

I loooooooooooooooove Arrietty!
Its in my top 5 ghibli films for sure.

but...everything makes me cry T_T I'm always a wreck at the end of a series, especially if its a long one, the idea that you'll "leave" those characters and when you remember the first moment you saw them on screen and how much they progressed in the time in between kills me every time ;( Don't get me started on things like Grave of the Fireflies, I actually have tears in my eyes now just at the mere utterance of the name. I like crying, it feels good to let everything out I feel, but I know many people feel the opposite.

You should watch Full Moon O Sagashite if you like memorable shows.

All this talk of Excel Saga makes me want to go back and finish it! It's been many years since I lost interest in it, but I have to show restraint or I'll never finish my backlog!

Doooooooooooooooo it!

Soul Eater Complete Series Blu-ray Premium Edition packaging from the awesome @WTK

Also an update from Sentai on Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb home release:

http://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks/answer/128209884893

Grave of the Fireflies is cheating, but hey I did say don't get me started on it! :p

Like I said, almost everything makes me cry...almost everything.

HIDAMARI SKEEEEEEETCH!
THIS IS AN EXCITING DAY
IM HYPER!!

I'll just copy something I wrote elsewhere:

I'm not saying Inside Out is bad - certainly not - but I think it's fair to examine some of the compromises it makes in the process of seeking its large audience.

I suppose from that viewpoint, Marnie would definitely succeed over Inside Out (again, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't really tell).

My argument was basically that Inside Out basically has a bigger charm to it with the little comedic moments it has here and there. Like, are there any scenes in Marnie that one could find to be funny in any way? What little details and quirky moments does it have? The drama might be more genuine than Inside Out, but does it have any moments that break the tension at all?

Inside Out I feel nails that balance between light-hearted comedy and drama, the way a good Pixar movie should. It takes advantage of the world it created and comes up with a bunch of funny little jokes kids and adults can laugh at. Like
the gum commercial jingle popping out of nowhere, the facts and opinions boxes, Anger's newspapers,
and many other things.

Basically, my point was that the two of them, while both sharing similar themes, feel like separate entities. From what I've seen, if I wanted something that focuses more on drama, I'd watch Marnie. If I wanted something that balances comedy and drama, I'd watch Inside Out.

I'm not saying Marnie is a worse film if it has no quirky moments here and there, maybe it does. I'm just saying that Inside Out's cleverness with comedy regarding the mental world really separates it from Marnie in terms of how it can appeal to a wider audience.

Then again, I haven't seen Marnie yet, so I'll probably understand your point better when I do.

See that's kinda funny in a silly way (I guess the voices in my head make it funnier than it actually is lol), but surly it should be a 1 episode little thing on YouTube and not a whole thing with 26 12 min episodes, but I haven't seen it so I can't say. I'm not too bothered anyways, just thought that it was weird. You do you *thumbs up*

Even by youtube video series standards.....

It's like pyderman and baman

Watched stuff:
Euphonium
Show By Rock
Kinmoza

Euphonium is really good. SBR was good. Sort of stopped watching Kinmoza, maybe I'll finish it.

Arcadius

Banned
I loooooooooooooooove Arrietty!
Its in my top 5 ghibli films for sure.

HIDAMARI SKEEEEEEETCH!
THIS IS AN EXCITING DAY
IM HYPER!!

I'm curious as to what your favorite Ghibli film is...

Agreed on Full Moon, honestly everyone should be watching it if they haven't.

Hidamari Sketch news is really really good.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Inferno Cop was the original Bait and Switch.
tumblr_mfxzs8NFT21qdfvslo1_500.gif

Its the only reason why I didn't expect Ninja Slayer to be another Kill la Kill.

KanameYuuki

Don't worry you will have 9 whole manga chapters to catch up on after it's over

Yeah haha, I was cheeking the manga yesterday and dear lord the drawings quality is all over the place but hey, It's more HxH.

The real hero was Kurt , such a brave boy
and when Reina got back home got me crying again.

Cornbread78

Keyshit makes people cry too but that doesn't mean it's sincere or authentic in its treatment of emotions.

Wait, maybe my reading skills are off here, but are inferring that the emotional responses you get from Clannad are completely contrived and fake? Everyone has a different emotional response from what they watch based on life experiences. For instance, a 18 single guy in HS would definitely not gave the same emotional response to Clannad After Story as someone in their 20's that may have had life experiences with families.
In other words, the emotional response comes from the viewer, not the producer/director. They often fail to invoke any emotion at all...

javac

It's on the long side, but I'll look into it :) All the shows I watch have been memorable for me.
Even by youtube video series standards.....
It's like pyderman and baman
lol its that bad huh?
Its the only reason why I didn't expect Ninja Slayer to be another Kill la Kill.
Those effects™. I've heard good things about Inferno Cop in this very thread (BGBW?), no idea if its ironic or legit admiration but I'll give it a glance down the road, I mean, I guess.

cajunator

Banned

It does get old quick. I lasted two episodes.
But I think most expected it to be like Inferno Cop. That show was janky and stupid and I knew this would be too. After seeing LWA, Inou Battle, and KLK, its very clear that Trigger knows how to animate but Ninja slayer is intentionally awful.

Etotama 12

If Show By Rock proved that Pixar-ish CGI has a place in modern anime, than Etotama proved that cel-shaded CGI can shape the future. Both of them used Nendoroid-style proportions in order to make things easier, but it's all about having the right tool in the right place. In some ways, this finale reminded me of Mikagura's, but with a somewhat more epic scale. Really, really enjoyable series. The combination of cool battles, Muromi-style humor, and cuteness is a winning combination. Plus, all those character songs.

Punchline 12

I have no experience with Uchikoshi's work, but I really enjoyed this. A combination of many aspects of Japanese pop culture, wordplay, and a conspiracy theory time loop... pretty fun. The finale felt like it left a few things hanging, but it wrapped up satisfactorily enough for me.
Mikatan/Chiyoko
got her happy ending, and the bright future is all but assured. Thursdays were my favorite day this season, and I wonder if that can be kept up for next.

Show By Rock and Etotama renewed my faith in anime's CG future. I am at peace with it.

Salama massive downgrade, the others slight upgrade.
No fiery short hair redhead, no sale!

I'm curious as to what your favorite Ghibli film is...

Agreed on Full Moon, honestly everyone should be watching it if they haven't.

Hidamari Sketch news is really really good.

My favorite is Princess Mononoke.

tumblr_mfxzs8NFT21qdfvslo1_500.gif

Im not sure how anyone could have been fooled really.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Punchline Episode 12:

Well, I hope you brought your pages of notes and flow charts because this is going to get very confusing if you are not paying attention. Also, don't care how much optimism you pump into the end segment there, this was quite the bittersweet affair. Anyway, this series had the most variance in quality this season as sometimes Punchline would produce some of the strongest character drama of the season and other times it was unwatchable to the point where it made Tirage X dignified.

sonicmj1

The conceit behind Ninja Slayer's source material is that it's something written by Americans smitten with a late-80s conception of what a ninja is and "translated" back into Japanese. So it's always been pretty garish and over-the-top. It's not a bad fit for this style.

But 26 episodes at 12 minutes an episode (even with a full length opening and ending) is a bit too much for me. I dropped it about four episodes back.

Those effects™. I've heard good things about Inferno Cop in this very thread (BGBW?), no idea if its ironic or legit admiration but I'll give it a glance down the road, I mean, I guess.

Inferno Cop, on the other hand, has three-minute episodes, which is pretty much perfect for this kind of humor.

I demand that Plastic Memories gets a "shit ending" in which Isla is special and therefore carries on. I will Not settle for less I'm telling you right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom