• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hastati

Catching up on this thread a post reminded me of Nanoha..anyone have experience with it? I've not seen much in the genre, but I heard some good things. Are the movies worth checking out?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The old EU died so that the Disney EU could be born.

A worthy sacrifice.
Luke marries Black Widow!

Catching up on this thread a post reminded me of Nanoha..anyone have experience with it? I've not seen much in the genre, but I heard some good things. Are the movies worth checking out?
I actually just watched the first movie a week ago and it was pretty good. It seems emblematic of a lot of the tropes that I've seen repeated in shows that have aired since, like Vividred and Symphogear and Madoka and so on.

I really enjoy Nanoha

The first season is all right.

The second season, A's, is the show at its best.

After A's would be the best place to stop though. I feel that StrikerS advanced things too quickly.

The movies are recaps, and they're all right too, though it's a better idea to watch the show first.

Erheller

Sorry, guys, I didn't have time to watch any of your recommendations because I was busy marathoning SNAFU TOO. I think I'll start with Clannad (I remember playing the VN for 2 hours and then never picking it back up because of my game backlog).

On the bright side, I just finished episode 12 and I don't have to wait too long for the finale. On the not-so-bright side, the season's ending tomorrow.

It's weird. I just discovered this show three weeks ago, and it's entirely taken over my non-game media consumption. Hopefully it's good
and doesn't leave us on a cliffhanger

Some unorganized thoughts on Season two:

I liked it even more than Season one. A lot of the problems that were only hinted at in the first season are brought up and explored: Hikagaya too willing to socially sacrifice himself, the club slowly becoming resistant to change in their group, and romance.

The tone of this season was a lot darker, too. There's less humor involved, and lighter characters like Saika and Zaimokuza barely show up. Other side characters like Hayama and Ebina have their not-so-pretty sides shown. And there's always tension between the three main characters. I never thought that Yukino, of all people, would feel inferior to Hikigaya. And Yui, well.... episode 12 happened.

I guess I'm not a huge fan of every girl suddenly going after Hikigaya, but that's a minor quibble.

I just hope that the finale gives us some closure. There seem to be too many open plot threads to tie up completely.

They're entertaining if you want to watch some beamspam shonen action. I'd recommend watching the films over the TV series.

Cornbread78

Sorry, guys, I didn't have time to watch any of your recommendations because I was busy marathoning SNAFU TOO. I think I'll start with Clannad (I remember playing the VN for 2 hours and then never picking it back up because of my game backlog).

YES! A great choice there. Post lots of impressions! Most importantly, once you get to the After Story marathon from ep.15 to the end..

Also, we are here for you if you ever need to talk about it. I'm sure Cajun and Achi will give you plenty of huG's if you need them..

Savor every moment of it, seriously. .

I feel bad for some people expecting a season 3 for SNAFU. The reason I say this is that there is literally not enough source material for 1 cour because the series ends at Vol 12. So that's about 2 Vols worth of content which wouldn't be enough for another season. You could pretty much say they are gonna end it by saying read the LN if you want more when the anime ends. Honestly the only way I could see more is through OVAs but that's pretty much it.

So good luck to the people expecting a season 3 because you're out of luck.😌

Narag

Gundam-san 1-13 FIN
kf8hhzGl.png

Should've just adapted the Gundam Sousei part instead.

HIdamari Sketch 3

I think the show is starting to gel with me finally. The art class was pretty funny and there was something relatable about how Miya dealt with minor adversity.

Victory Gundam 23

I think I might be able to better respect the early Uso/Shakti relationship as I didn't realize just how much of a calming influence she was upon him. He's grown incredibly reckless since their separation. Speaking of which, Shakti's preview monologue was a little more intense than usual. Maybe it goes both ways.

Go! Princess Precure 5

Half expected them to draw out Kirara's joining up full-time. I see that's not the case.

OceanBlue

I feel bad for some people expecting a season 3 for SNAFU. The reason I say this is that there is literally not enough source material for 1 cour because the series ends at Vol 12. So that's about 2 Vols worth of content which wouldn't be enough for another season. You could pretty much say they are gonna end it by saying read the LN if you want more when the anime ends. Honestly the only way I could see more is through OVAs but that's pretty much it.

So a movie then?!

I'd tell them to start with JJ Trek.

They're fine: https://kyakka.wordpress.com/

I mean, the thing with light novels is that you have no idea if they're well written unless you can read Japanese. But the translations are good in terms of being readable while presumably maintaining some of the original's tone and literary flourishes.

Yeah, the SNAFU translations are mostly well done. Sometimes they throw in some questionable lingo, but the latest novel translations are solid. Almost professional.

Ah ok, thats good to hear. Yeah, definitely will take some time to read through the LNs to fill in the missing holes and get all the material with Kawasaki and Keika.

So a movie then?!

Nice avi bro *dap*

Baalzebup

I like it plenty. First season fakes it being a more usual mahou shoujo anime with the monster of the week theme and everything, but pretty quickly jumps in to the real stuff. I guess the subversive parts of it are the unusually gung-ho action at times, actual tactics being used pretty often and the fact that Nanoha herself takes to her new designation like a fish takes to water.

As per the usual opinion, A's is easily the best entry in the series. Some recommend not going for Strikers, but I think it is fine as well. Not as good as A's, but whatever. No idea about the movies.

Jarmel

Banned
Punch Line-fin
at542Lm.jpg

Sigh. I'm so sick of this shit.
The ending was as well animated as I had hoped, I was expecting something on par with episode 11 and while this episode wasn't bad, it also wasn't a showstopper.
kuJxSal.jpg

Maybe if you tried to explain in a coherent fashion, they might.
On the story front, this was all just underwhelming. The reasoning for the villains were super thin even for anime and so I'm left with a big "so what?" while watching all these characters fight each other. To be honest, I found all of the characters to be really shallow in their characterization, maybe if the show ran longer that could have been fixed. I also think this was the most effective way to undercut
a character's death I've ever seen. Way to go show for ruining the little emotional stuff you did have.

This was a very meh finale and show as a whole. Another one to throw on the "Forgettable Mappa show" pile.

Oh yea, you know you're dressed slutty as all hell when even you're boytoy is thinking you're way over the line.

Ninja Slayer-11

A honest to god good episode of Ninja Slayer? What is this? This was the better Thursday show this week.

The Alabama drop slayed me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah but you know, people always say that about Pixar's works. Because they're a bunch of babies.
Damn movie critics!

They could just make the OVA a pack in for the final volume if they cared I suppose.

Hamst3r

Watched the 4th Break Blade movie thingy today. The animation is really good during the fights, and this installment seemed to be mostly fights, which was fun. Beyond that, I guess I'm still not particularly invested in the story or the characters.

Punch Line 12
I actually thought this was a pretty solid ending. Though the show obviously suffered from having to fit into 12 episodes, the characterization of the villain being the most glaring example.
I also think this was the most effective way to undercut
a character's death I've ever seen. Way to go show for ruining the little emotional stuff you did have.
I don't think it really undermines it at all. It's a joke very much in line with the tone of the entire show. I think
having the other spirit Yuta show up to squeeze in a last batch of exposition
was far worse when it comes to this.

YES! A great choice there. Post lots of impressions! Most importantly, once you get to the After Story marathon from ep.15 to the end..

Also, we are here for you if you ever need to talk about it. I'm sure Cajun and Achi will give you plenty of huG's if you need them..

Savor every moment of it, seriously. .

So much Clannad love in here. Makes me so happy. :,)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well... There's that or they can do an "anime original" ending so that way people have closer, but those are so rare...
Those almost never happen. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of deal that prevents it, lest it somehow detract from the source material.

VRMN

Catching up after I was crazy busy last week, which means I'm finishing up some shows and can start doing my season wrap ups. Seven shows that I've been watching have finished; may as well do some bulk final impressions.

Assassination Classroom
I'll be honest; I never really took to the premise of this show. Less the gimmick of the year deadline to kill the impossible target and more the process of training these young children to mercilessly kill a character they increasingly care about. Now, putting that aside, what is here is pretty well done, even if it never surpasses the issues I have with the core premise being kind of disturbing at its core. I'll watch the follow up, but that alone keeps me from thinking it's anything worth extraordinary praise. 7/10

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign
This show was never anything better than a chore to go through that I never dropped because I liked one particular character, Shinoa, who had enough moments week to week to keep me watching a pretty drab, boring mess of a show with a formulaic plot and even more stereotypical characters. So, naturally, the last two episodes completely crashed and burned anything I thought was a guilty pleasure about the show and segued neatly into just being completely awful, throwing out every stupid action series cliche in the book and reducing the interesting female lead into just another tsundere. And then this crap gets a sequel when so many legitimately good shows never will. Sigh. 2/10

Hello! KINMOZA
Cute, harmless fluff that was never particularly funny and never concerned itself with growing as a series. It's just that there are a thousand of these shows now and the first season was better executed on basically all fronts. Yes, it's cute, but it never does anything with it. You just have more of season one, but with even less plot progression or character development. I'd say I'm expecting too much, but the first season did this stuff better, leaving me wondering why this exists on a regular basis...when I'm not forgetting that it does. 5/10

Mikagura School Suite
This was a weird one, in that it never really offended me and I took quickly to Eruna as a character and she kept me watching every week...but I also never really liked the show she was in, either. Most of the cast was completely forgettable when they weren't just unlikable and the plot was seriously slow going. I honestly thought they'd get to what wound up being the end of series point around the midpoint. That plot, however, was honestly laughable in its execution, but never lampshaded it, making it the one part of the ludicrous setup they expected the audience to take seriously. The production was kind of lacking on all fronts beyond making a rather enjoyable female lead, but that alone can't save a general mess everywhere else. 4/10

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying 2nd Thread
The first season was a surprise entrant on my AotY list for 2014, and this was by and large more of the same. It jumped around the first season, filling in holes in the surprisingly complex story, but because of this it failed to really have the same kind of identity the first season did. It had its moments, mostly in the last three episodes as they caught back up to the present and moved forward, but it never really had the same kind of impact. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it a typical sequel. I appreciate that it exists, but it didn't necessarily need to. 7/10

Punch Line
I want to like this show. I want to appreciate what it did right more than I do. I think the show has strong characters, an interesting plot, and a decent mechanic moving things along. Unfortunately, it fails because it has a very poorly done antagonist who is never really fleshed out because they need to keep things secret and, probably more importantly, it never gets out of its own way with innumerable shots of the female characters' underwear. It's actually kind of humiliating to watch, because there are elements of a good show here, but the underwear obsession undermines it at every turn. I might have accepted it if the show had done it as part of the 'bait' in the bait and switch plot, but it maintained throughout, straight through the self-undermining ending. So, yeah, there are things with some value here, but I can't give the half-assed antagonist or the full-assed fanservice stupidity a pass; I don't care who the writer is. 4/10

Wish Upon the Pleiades
This is my surprise of the season. I liked, but didn't love, the ONAs from a couple years back, and really only started watching this out of a kind of morbid curiosity. How do you take a few videos from a bizarre ad campaign and extend them out into a full series? Apparently, really well. The show had a message, some strong characters, actual development, some seriously smart writing that scratched my astronomy nerd itch, and a solid conclusion that was as melancholy and optimistic as the show itself. I can't believe I liked it as much as I did, but a focus on exploring the universe and development of the characters rather than on any kind of serious conflict or fighting was a fresh breath in a genre that increasingly focuses on conflict rather than the characters. It's not my favorite show this season, but it's much closer than I thought it had any chance at being. 8/10

cajunator

Banned
Shit man now I'm hyped and no matter what happens I'm gonna be so upset there won't be any new SNAFU for a few more years. WHY YOU SO GOOD. I liked S1 but LOVED S2. S2 really took the show to glorious heights.

I should have learned Japanese in high school damnit. Why didnt I embrace my inner weeb back then? Cant import Fire Emblem, can't read SNAFU LN's when they drop. Fuck life man.

Did you catch up?

Nah. Im kind of struggling to get through episode 2 right now. Its a slow start.

Nanoha is interesting. Season one starts out very slow burning, then towards the end of S1, it heats up, and when the fights really start it gets pretty exciting. then A's comes along and its pretty much a constant high as the previous stakes are just childs play in comparison and the fights and stakes keep getting more intense. Then StrikerS just kind of crashes for a while and doesnt recover very well. I honestly havent watched Vivid much so I cant comment on that. StrikerS really deflated any hype I had.

All right. Finally started on a watchbet I promised Linkman, started a show that a close friend has been asking me to watch for a while and a rewatch that I am ready to see again.

Is this a Zombie? 1

This show is weird man... Though that's what I thought about Baka & Test when I started that and I loved it. So maybe this might grow on me. But yeah the jokes kind of fell flat for me this episode. Only chuckled a few times really.

Nagi no Asukara 1

Hmmm. This is definitely my type of show but why is the MC such a douche. I hope he gets past this attitude soon. Other than that I really like what I saw. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Also the animation is just so well done. Sooo freakin' good.

Your Lie in April 1-2 [REWATCH]

Yup. Still amazing. Still amazed with the production values and the animation. I remember when I had to have the animation grow on me but now that I have that appreciation a second time it's just enhancing my second time watching. The music is still amazingly well done and I see myself tapping to the music often. The story still has this poetic nature to it that I cannot help but appreciate. The characters are still as great as when I first watched this show.

I don't know what it is but this show just has so many things going for it. Your doing yourself a disservice if you haven't watched this show. It's honestly one of my favorite animes ever. I can now say that with more certainty. Better than Clannad (to me)? Almost. I remember when it finished I was conflicted about if it was, in fact, my favorite anime ever. I got to say it was pretty darn close. Every episode feels so meaningful and is paced very well. I look forward to watching this all the way through again and giving it the full 10 paragraph long post it deserves.

Nah. Im kind of struggling to get through episode 2 right now. Its a slow start. .

Ah yeah. The second ep was a chore but it picks up soon.

All right. Finally started on a watchbet I promised Linkman, started a show that a close friend has been asking me to watch for a while and a rewatch that I am ready to see again.

Is this a Zombie? 1

This show is weird man... Though that's what I thought about Baka & Test when I started that and I loved it. So maybe this might grow on me. But yeah the jokes kind of fell flat for me this episode. Only chuckled a few times really.

Nagi no Asukara 1

Hmmm. This is definitely my type of show but why is the MC such a douche. I hope he gets past this attitude soon. Other than that I really like what I saw. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Your Lie in April 1-2 [REWATCH]

Yup. Still amazing. Still amazed with the production values and the animation. I remember when I had to have the animation grow on me but now that I have that appreciation a second time it's just enhancing my second time watching. The music is still amazingly well done and I see myself tapping to the music often. The story still has this poetic nature to it that I cannot help but appreciate. The characters are still as great as when I first watched this show.

I don't know what it is but this show just has so many things going for it. Your doing yourself a disservice if you haven't watched this show. It's honestly one of my favorite animes ever. I can now say that with more certainty. Better than Clannad (to me)? Almost. I remember when it finished I was conflicted about if it was, in fact, my favorite anime ever. I got to say it was pretty darn close. Every episode feels so meaningful and is paced very well. I look forward to watching this all the way through again and giving it the full 10 paragraph long post it deserves.

Yeah hii kun is a douche ar first but halfway in he becomes tolerable. The art and especially the music will make you forget about his annoying bits.

Sterok

Sugar Sugar Rune 17-24

I don't get the logic of a Magical Queenliness Test. So to determine whether these girls are fit to be queen of the magic world, they're sent to a completely different world with different rules and tasked to learn about them and their habits. I know diplomacy and working with strange people is an important part of becoming a ruler, but you'd think a queen would want to get to know her own people first and foremost.

That grandpa is annoying. Duke was right to contemplate his existence as a frog. Yurika is nice despite her black heart of jealousy. She's still a demon like the Members, but a nice one. Blanca should know better than to fall for humans. Though she probably got a good deal on cheese for her efforts, so it was probably worth it. Young kids are hard to deal with. I'm amazed Chocolat had the guts to officially send that teddy bear to heaven. Soul has a very detailed dream. Kind of rude for Chocolat to invade people's dreams. I do hope someone catches Pierre off guard soon. He's annoying to deal with. Difficult to tell what he really feels about Chocolat. Vanilla totally tried to cut Chocolat from the student council president. Don't try and blame Blanca. Odd how Chocolat rushed to collect his heard when she probably could've pushed it to red. Relay races never seem to work out for the main characters. That's my experience at least. Chocolat is evil for making all the boys dance to her tune with that barret. And so is Vanilla for suggesting it. Well as sketchy as it is, Chocolat did need that stunt to catch up to Vanilla. She's way behind. Farming hearts can be harsh. Also, evil conspiracy that's taking its sweet time to do anything.

Nagi no Asukara 1

Looks so gat daum good and OST is fantastic. Hides the bad.

Thoraxes

Man, Rightstuf has been weird as hell since they moved to the new site.

All the prices on Sentai shit just went up another 10% this past day, even though it's "on sale".

I think i'm just going to bow out of my pre-orders till the holiday sale. No point dealing with the prices changing every day.

One good example of something I got in cheap was Hayate S1 BDs. Originally I pre-ordered at $65. Then with the new site and my membership that changed to $60, so I re-ordered it with the cheaper price. Now, with the sale and my membership, the price is now at $67.49. This all happened over the past week.

cajunator

Banned
Ah yeah. The second ep was a chore but it picks up soon.

Yeah hii kun is a douche ar first but halfway in he becomes tolerable. The art and especially the music will make you forget about his annoying bits.

It just got a bit more interesting towards the end.

Yuuup. Production is magical. Cant wait for the blu rays to ship soon!

I am pretty excited for this one. Very much looking forward to finally watching this!

Man, Rightstuf has been weird as hell since they moved to the new site.

All the prices on Sentai shit just went up another 10% this past day, even though it's "on sale".

I think i'm just going to bow out of my pre-orders till the holiday sale. No point dealing with the prices changing every day.

Yeah its been a bit strange. I sincerely hope they havent changed for the worse and that everything is going well behind the scenes.

Thoraxes

Yeah its been a bit strange. I sincerely hope they havent changed for the worse and that everything is going well behind the scenes.

I just cancelled like 6 orders because of this stuff! Now i'm only buying Persona in September because it has the superior JP dub (and is a premium edition), when I originally had almost 6 shows pre-ordered for that month from them.

I'll probably just stick to my AoA releases again. At least the pricing on those titles stays consistent. I can't really justify the cost increase on the Sentai titles too, unless they show an improvement in their encodes.

Edit: Looks like the Persona 4 CE went up by over $10 as well! I got that in while it was cheaper.

cajunator

Banned
I just cancelled like 6 orders because of this stuff! Now i'm only buying Persona in September because it has the superior JP dub (and is a premium edition), when I originally had almost 6 shows pre-ordered for that month from them.

I'll probably just stick to my AoA releases again. At least the pricing on those titles stays consistent. I can't really justify the cost increase on the Sentai titles too, unless they show an improvement in their encodes.

Edit: Looks like the Persona 4 CE went up by over $10 as well! I got that in while it was cheaper.

Damn. what dfid you cancel?

Your Lie in April 3-4[REWATCH]

Wow. Just wow. The lead up to the performance and the performance itself was really great. A real testament to how well the character development is done. It's just nails the pacing. The way everything is so heartfelt and genuine make it a joy to watch and experience. And, of course, that episode 4 cliffhanger that always prepared me for what I knew, from that moment on, was going to be journey.

cajunator

Banned
Your Lie in April 3-4[REWATCH]

Wow. Just wow. The lead up to the performance and the performance itself was really great. A real testament to how well the character development is done. It's just nails the pacing. The way everything is so heartfelt and genuine make it a joy to watch and experience. And, of course, that episode 4 cliffhanger that always prepared me for what I knew, from that moment on, was going to be journey.

I wish I didnt have so much stuff going on to distract me away from watching more anime
I cant keep focused on it for very long. I blame part of it on my room being pretty cramped currently. I seem to watch a lot more of anything when Im reclining comfortably somewhere. I dunno its weird. I feel like I used to watch a lot more anime when I had room to just spread out on the floor and take shows in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom